• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X58 overclocking club

Anyone here familiar with Hynix 2Gbit BFR or CFR? I got a bunch of 4GB, dual rank registered ECC sticks, but I can't figure out the timings. Auto works up to 1866, but the timings are horrendous. 1866 11-12-12-28. I have no idea what to set the secondary and other timings to, like tRFC, tRRD, and read/write delays. I think those are preventing me from going higher.

I'm not sure if these being Registered ECC has a negative affect. On the Samsung sticks it seemed to help with frequency. Than again I could have been lucky with a good batch.

Processor i9-11900K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XIII Hero
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory 4x8GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Alienware RTX 3090 OEM
Storage OEM Kioxia 2tb NVMe (OS), 4TB WD Blue HDD (games)
Display(s) LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance (black)
Audio Device(s) Logitech Pro X Wireless
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite 2
Is it possible they're just not running in ECC mode? Is there a way to tell whether or not the ECC function is active?

Registered DIMMs aren't officially supported on X58. How did you get them working at all?

They need to be 2Rx8. Anything x4 does not work, at least not on any of my x58 boards. I don't have a Core i7 to test it with so I can't say if registered DIMMs work with the desktop CPUs. I've seen a few posts on other sites stating 1Rx8 worked, but I can't confirm. 4Rx8 might work, but those sticks are kinda expensive and rare on the used market.

These are the boards I've tested:
- EVGA X58 SLI (132-BL-E758) - Needs hardware mod for Xeon CPUs.
- Asus Rampage II Gene
- Asus Rampage II Extreme

I recommend using the IDT branded registers. Avoid the Inphi registers. There's a bug or safety feature that causes the RAM to temporarily brick itself. It won't post even if you move it to another motherboard. You have to let them it sit unpowered for a few days, or stick them in the freezer for a few hours. Then they work like nothing happened. It's happened with every stick with the Inphi register, and it's happened on multiple motherboards. I attached pictures of both. The ones with the giant "Inphi" text should be avoided.

Is it possible they're just not running in ECC mode? Is there a way to tell whether or not the ECC function is active?

ECC appears to be enabled, but there's no option in the BIOS on the EVGA X58 SLI. In Windows 7 and 10, I get WHEA-Logger error messages for "Component: Memory" "Error Source: Corrected Machine Check", if the memory is borderline unstable. With non ECC sticks, I don't get these errors, it just bluescreens. What's nice with Windows 10 is it includes the memory address the error occurred in. It makes it easy to pinpoint a bad stick, rather than having to test one by one.

Attachments

• IDT-S.png
    IDT-S.png
    788.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Inphi-S.png
    Inphi-S.png
    723.9 KB · Views: 22
Got 3 sticks of the Hynix 2Gbit CFR to work a 1200Mhz, 11-13-12 1.675V. It's benchmark stable. Can't seem to get 1250Mhz to boot with any settings. I think tRAS needs to be higher, but 31 is the highest setting in the bios.

I haven't seen any WHEA correctable errors while using these Hynix sticks, only blue screens if it's unstable, so I don't know if ECC is working with these. It works with the Samsung.

Attachments

• 2400-11-13-12-31-2T.png
    2400-11-13-12-31-2T.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 59

Dn_z

Hello all,

I have an gigabyte x58a-ud7 with core i7 960 on it. But just 6 GB of Ram (3x 2GB)
I want to increase the Ram but it is impossible to get triple channel DDR3 especially in Turkey.
I looked to the web and found as a dual channel replacement (2x 8GB) "Patriot PV316G186 °C0 K Black Mamba 16 GB 1866MHz, CL10, 2 x 8 GB DDR3 RAM KIT".
Here is my question friends;
Is there anybody here using this Ram? And is it compatible?
I do not want to spend too much to my rig. I need this PC to be running at least for a few years more.

Thanks for your advice...

For your processor https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...20-ghz-4-80-gts-intel-qpi/specifications.html
It states that "Memory Types --> DDR3 800/1066"

If you buy 1866 MHz memory, in the SPD chip there may not have 800 MHz and 1066 MHz SPD data. It may cause problem. Be sure that those frequencies on the ram modules have those programmed into SPD. As an example have bought 2133 MHz Ripjaws from Trident, but it has no 1866 MHz SPD programmed, I can not use it at default 1866 MHz in the past for AMD 8350 processor. (But, it did work at 2133 MHz, it worked on an overclock capable Asus mainboard.)

Be sure, the modules have those two frequencies programmed into SPD chip on them for better compatibility.

It does not say, only 1866 and 1600 MHz. Tested Platforms: Intel® 6 & 7 Series, your chipset is 5 series. Mainboard states 2100+ memory support, maybe it can work!

Note: x58 systems are really aged. There is a real good x299 Supermicro mainboard, which is incredibly cheap at www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005865088657.html and https://www.ebay.com/itm/394959476762 but it needs TPM module to be separately purchased. The hint is that, it is second hand and it has no onboard audio, but if you have a graphics card with HDMI output and a HDMI sound bypass capable monitor, this is no problem. I have a newly build Asus Pro WS C422-ACE mainboard with W-2195 processor on it. If I have not got it already, I will but this Supermicro C9X299-RPGF. I only do not have info about, is it capable of resizable bar support or not.

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i9-10850K
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490-A
Cooling Custom water cooling. CPU: EK Velosity, GPU: EK Vector EC3
Memory 16GB G.Skill Trident Royal 4000mhz CL15
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3070 Ultra XC3
Storage OS: WD 1TB M.2, Data: Kingston 2TB M.2
Display(s) Asus 27" 4K, BeadaPanel 6.8"
Case Modded AZZA Genesis 9000B
Audio Device(s) SB AE-5plus
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Software Win10 64
X58 was one of Intel's best platforms to date in my opinion. It had power and longevity. I built countless client PCs on this platform. Although it lacks AVX, it was a relevant gaming platform for years.

The hard drive I had stored all my screenshots on shit the bed a few years ago, so I no longer have them. I do however, have some validations.

1707078694357.png

1707078718820.png

1707078779058.png

x58 was 3 channel capable, no AVX, no NVME, relatively slow PCI express 2, no real secure boot support, lacks UEFI.

x79 was good, PCI express 3 welcome with it, used DDR3 4 channels, secure boot and UEFI capable, but lacks M2 connector but bios is modifiable for it, there are many Chinese mainboards supported this feature. (Only Asus x79 Deluxe has it in its latest bios from known builders.) https://github.com/xCuri0/ReBarUEFI mentions support for Resizable bar support for it.

x99 was better than x79, used DDR4 4 channels, NVME drivers present at bios. Easy to add Resizable bar support. AVX2 present. Optional TMP support but, no processor support for Windows 11.

x299 was much better than x99, still 4 channels, a bit faster DDR4, AVX512 and later AVX512F support. Resizable bar included after some time in bios'es by known builders. It has terrible downfall mitigation causes AVX2 performance drop by %50 if new microcode applied, this is the biggest handicap for 5th and upper generation processors on it.

To be fair, no any new technology on x58 was present that we talk about right now. I do not support your opinion anyhow xmanrigger. We have used many computer systems, for me starting from 286 and Amiga times, but I do not wish to mention that they are good enough. Nowadays, we are passing to artificial intelligence, which needs more ram and more processing power. Even Windows 11 is not good enough. I think, Windows 12 will need minimum 10th to 11th generation processors with optimal 32 GB ram.

johnspack

Here For Good!
System Name System2 Blacknet , System1 Blacknet2
Processor System2 Threadripper 1920x, System1 2699 v3
Motherboard System2 Asrock Fatality x399 Professional Gaming, System1 Asus X99-A
Cooling System2 Noctua NH-U14 TR4-SP3 Dual 140mm fans, System1 AIO
Memory System2 64GBS DDR4 3000, System1 32gbs DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) System2 GTX 980Ti System1 GTX 970
Storage System2 4x SSDs + NVme= 2.250TB 2xStorage Drives=8TB System1 3x SSDs=2TB
Display(s) 2x 24" 1080 displays
Case System2 Some Nzxt case with soundproofing...
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U7 MKII
Power Supply System2 EVGA 750 Watt, System1 XFX XTR 750 Watt
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Ducky
Software Manjaro, Windows 10, Kubuntu 23.10
Benchmark Scores It's linux baby!
Jeez mellow out karakarga! People like to play with older stuff, it's fun! I went through all the x58 stuff and I enjoyed it. And you can install windows 11 on any computer you want
if you know how. It's not hard. I still run x99 for intel and x399 for amd, and I can install win11 on both. But I prefer linux. Pretty sure I'll be able to install win12 as well. Enough said....

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard AsRock B550M Pro4
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34 Esports
Memory 32GB (4x8gb) Hynix 3466mhz CL17 (2x8 Team Dark Z DDR4-4000 CL18 + 2x8 Vcolor Prism DDR4-3466 CL17)
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1660 Super 6gb
Storage Sabrent Rocket Q 1tb NVME + 500gb Samsung HDD
Display(s) Triple monitor setup w/ Viewsonic 1080p 144hz main + 2 Dell Ultrasharps
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55 w/ 3x Arctic F14 PWM + 3X Arctic F12 PWM
Audio Device(s) Logitech X530 5.1 Spearkers + Beyer Dynamic DT770 PRO's driven by a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair HX750i 80+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Leopold FC750R Cherry MX Brown
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Professional x64
Hello all,

I have an gigabyte x58a-ud7 with core i7 960 on it. But just 6 GB of Ram (3x 2GB)
I want to increase the Ram but it is impossible to get triple channel DDR3 especially in Turkey.
I looked to the web and found as a dual channel replacement (2x 8GB) "Patriot PV316G186 °C0 K Black Mamba 16 GB 1866MHz, CL10, 2 x 8 GB DDR3 RAM KIT".
I do not want to spend too much to my rig. I need this PC to be running at least for a few years more.

I've heard of a lot of issues with x58 and 8gb sticks. The platform isn't really designed for it since sticks of that capacity did not exist when it came out.

Dn_z

I've heard of a lot of issues with x58 and 8gb sticks. The platform isn't really designed for it since sticks of that capacity did not exist when it came out.
As I hearth somebodies are using 8GB modules. But they generally using server oriented xeon branded CPUs.
So I do not have solid info about 8 GB RAMs wrt. core i7 branded CPUs with X58 chipset.

I've used the 8GB version of the shorter Crucial Ballastix Tactical LP. They work fine at 1866 9-9-9-24 with the Xeons. You need to increase bclk for the locked Xeon CPUs. I'm not sure if that's needed with the i7 960.

AVX? I've yet to have needed it for home use. Nvme works. It's slower due to PCIE 2.0, but still 3x faster than most Sata SSDs. Midrange and older highend GPUs are fine with PCIE 2.0. The lack of secure boot and UEFI are upsides. I've had nothing but problems with it on newer platforms.

Windows is garbage atm. Games run horribly on Windows 10, compared to Windows 7. CPU usage is higher, while fps is lower. Lots of input lag if you don't disable fullscreen optimization. Windowed mode is worse. I'm not going to bother with 11. I'm trying Linux. It has it's own set of problems that shouldn't exist, like how it enables intel speed-step even though it's off in the BIOS. Once all the garbage is removed, it runs great. At least the garbage stays removed after updates.

I've heard of a lot of issues with x58 and 8gb sticks.
As long as the BIOS of the board in question is up to date, it's not a problem.
The platform isn't really designed for it since sticks of that capacity did not exist when it came out.
Actually, that is completely incorrect. Intel planned for certain address spaces and that gave RAM advances room to grow, as evidenced by their own specs page.
288GB max.

Memory 32GB (4x8gb) Hynix 3466mhz CL17 (2x8 Team Dark Z DDR4-4000 CL18 + 2x8 Vcolor Prism DDR4-3466 CL17)
Display(s) Triple monitor setup w/ Viewsonic 1080p 144hz main + 2 Dell Ultrasharps
Audio Device(s) Logitech X530 5.1 Spearkers + Beyer Dynamic DT770 PRO's driven by a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z
Mouse Logitech G502
As long as the BIOS of the board in question is up to date, it's not a problem.

Actually, that is completely incorrect. Intel planned for certain address spaces and that gave RAM advances room to grow, as evidenced by their own specs page.
288GB max.
Those are xeons with ecc support, which is a whole different ballgame. Much higher capacity ecc ddr3 sticks are and were available than the conventional unbuffered stuff on a non c series server board in discussion here.

8gb udimms were not a thing in 08. Not saying it can't work (I have gotten 8gb udimms to work on x58 but rarely use them), and a bios update definitely will put you in the right direction, but it's a much safer bet to just buy 4gb dimms and save the potential headache.

Last edited:
I also like to use some old stuff, but x58 is not among them. Compaq 486 mainboards, Slot 1 mainboards, Tualatin CPUs, Rambus mainboards, AGP graphics to use with Windows 98 SE, up to 478 pin processors and mainboards. Upper than this, it needs a fast modern computer. A LGA 775 with 661 processor can run Windows 10, so there I stop. Because DDR2 has nearly 8GB ram limit, and it is low for Windows 10. PCI express graphics cards do not have old operating system drivers and their mainboard chipsets, including the onboard components. They all together do not have drivers for older operating systems before year 2000.

There are many instances, for example, Windows 98SE can only work up to 1GB, more than that, causes crash. Between a fast 486 to 478 pin CPU they are at the same platform. AGP cards have Windows 3.1 to Windows 7 drivers. Like nVidia 6xxx series (excluding Windows 3.1), it has PCI version too. But, You can not cut down a 2 GB DDR2 module for Windows 98SE, you need a 1 GB module, but other driverless components make you stop in the end installing other necessary drivers.

Starting from LGA 775, x58 stays in the middle of todays new platform.

Last edited:
Those are xeons with ecc support, which is a whole different ballgame. Much higher capacity ecc ddr3 sticks are and were available than the conventional unbuffered stuff on a non c series server board in discussion here.

8gb udimms were not a thing in 08. Not saying it can't work (I have gotten 8gb udimms to work on x58 but rarely use them), and a bios update definitely will put you in the right direction, but it's a much safer bet to just buy 4gb dimms and save the potential headache.
Yeah, I'm not going to argue this. I have personally tested 8GB and 16GB, standard, ECC and Reg ECC dimms with X58, they all work, depending on motherboard support. Full stop, end of discussion.

I also like to use some old stuff, but x58 is not among them.
Good for you. You've come into this thread bitching and bemoaning without regard for the actual point of the thread. That's called thread trolling and it is not welcome. So either quit your whining and get on topic or we will report you to the mods.

Last edited:

Dn_z

Yeah, I'm not going to argue this. I have personally tested 8GB and 16GB, standard, ECC and Reg ECC dimms with X58, they all work, depending on motherboard support. Full stop end of discussion.

Good for you. You've come into this thread bitching and bemoaning without regard for the actual point of the thread. That's called thread trolling and it is not welcome. So either quit your whining and get on topic or we will report you to the mods.

Dear lexluthermiester,

Did you ever used the motherboard that I mention, Gigabyte X58A-UD7 v1 ?
And a regular (not extreme edition nor xeon) i7 cpu on it?
And if yes, did you achieved to use with 8 GB Rams?

Thank you.

Did you ever used the motherboard that I mention, Gigabyte X58A-UD7 v1
I think I have crossed paths with it. It was a long time ago. With Gigabyte's X58 series, ECC & Reg ECC RAM types are not supported but 8GB and 16GB(if you can find them) DIMMs were.
And a regular (not extreme edition nor xeon) i7 cpu on it?
So the Quad core series? Yeah.
And if yes, did you achieved to use with 8 GB Rams?
I have tested 8GB DIMMs with an i7-920, an i7-950, a W3680 and an X5680 in an MSI board. I've also tested ECC RAM variants in HP and Dell workstation systems. They worked fine WITH an up to date BIOS. This is a key point. Your BIOS must be the latest for whatever system you use.

Mouse Logitech G502
X58 was one of Intel's best platforms to date in my opinion. It had power and longevity. I built countless client PCs on this platform. Although it lacks AVX, it was a relevant gaming platform for years.
X58 was a great platform in its day, and it's still very fun.

To toy around with anymore my preference are 32nm chips. The extra 2 cores, better IPC, and especially the impressive overclocking headroom really make them fun. I've spent a considerable amount of time putting an aio in ice water and pushing $5 xeons on x58.

The 45nm CPUs are, in a lot of ways, just a much more feature rich version of Core2, now with 3 channel DDR3 IMC, HT, and L3 cache. The IPC doesn't seem much different though.

Thats a nice overclock you had going on the 930. What did you use to cook it?
x58 was 3 channel capable, no AVX, no NVME, relatively slow PCI express 2, no real secure boot support, lacks UEFI.
The platform has it's shortcomings, I will agree. But they are almost entirely age related, so most of them I really would find it hard to fault it for. Just about any platform this old has substantial shortcomings in this day and age.

Processor Intel Core i9-10850K
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490-A
Cooling Custom water cooling. CPU: EK Velosity, GPU: EK Vector EC3
Memory 16GB G.Skill Trident Royal 4000mhz CL15
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3070 Ultra XC3
Storage OS: WD 1TB M.2, Data: Kingston 2TB M.2
Display(s) Asus 27" 4K, BeadaPanel 6.8"
Case Modded AZZA Genesis 9000B
Audio Device(s) SB AE-5plus
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Software Win10 64
X58 was a great platform in its day, and it's still very fun.

To toy around with anymore my preference are 32nm chips. The extra 2 cores, better IPC, and especially the impressive overclocking headroom really make them fun. I've spent a considerable amount of time putting an aio in ice water and pushing $5 xeons on x58.

The 45nm CPUs are, in a lot of ways, just a much more feature rich version of Core2, now with 3 channel DDR3 IMC, HT, and L3 cache. The IPC doesn't seem much different though.

Thats a nice overclock you had going on the 930. What did you use to cook it?

The platform has it's shortcomings, I will agree. But they are almost entirely age related, so most of them I really would find it hard to fault it for. Just about any platform this old has substantial shortcomings in this day and age.
I had a Heatkiller waterblock on it if that is what you were asking.

Dn_z

Hello all,

Thank you all friends, for the valuable answers.
I asked/emailed Patriot Ram support and they said "Patriot PV316G186 C0K Black Mamba 16 GB 1866MHz, CL10, 2 x 8 GB DDR3 RAM KIT" is incompatible with X58 chipset.