• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X800 XL - Totally Taken Advantage Of

SlickyRyan

Hey guys. I am kind of wondering if local wellknown retailers are now taking advantage of people. I recently bought an X800 XL card (PCI-E) from Best Buy and found out that the memory clock speed was 490 Mhz using ATITool. I am extremely mad now, because I just spent $300 on this card and I'm not getting the quality that I deserve for the price. At newegg.com, I can get the same card (16 pixel pipelines, 400 core clock) for almost $30 less than what I paid at Best Buy. The main difference that I saw was that the memory clock speed was 980 Mhz on that card at NewEgg. I feel kind of ripped off and taken advantage of. I spend more money for a card that lacks in quality compared to a cheaper one that is also made by ATI? Can someone explain this more in-depth to me. Is a memory clock speed from 490Mhz to 980Mhz enough to see a difference? I'd rather take this back and get one already at 980Mhz rather than mess around with this and overclock it. I know nothing about overclocking and just used this tool to check what it was. I'm still new to this overclocking stuff, but I think I can realize when I've been taken advantage of.

Post back with what you think. :mad:

Don__1

DDR ( D ouble D ata R ate) Refers to an SDRAM memory chip that increases performance
by doubling the effective data rate of the frontside bus

490Mhz DDR = 980Mhz.

They are bothing running the memory at the same speed, just described differently.

wazzledoozle

Processor X2 3800+ @ 2.3 GHz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Memory 2x1 Gb OCZ Plat. @ 3-3-2-8-1t 460 MHz
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ 4670 512Mb
Storage 640Gb & 160Gb western digital sata drives
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen LCD w/ DVI 5ms
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 softmod@Audigy 4, Logitech X-530 5:1
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Software XP Pro
Absolutely take that back IMMEDIATELY and demand a 6800GT.