• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XFX Radeon HD 4870 ATIFlash - Command Interpreter?

Extrix

Hi there,

I recently followed a guide helping me setup a bootable USB stick. I put the ATIFlash files and the .bin I needed and booted from it. When I boot from it, the Windows 98 screen pops up quickly (I'm running Windows 7 64-bit) and I get this:

type the name of the command interpreter (e.i. C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)C:>

I can't seem to get past that screen. I've tried remaking the USB Drive with no avail.

anyone know any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
is this what your looking for?

this was what I posted to get help b4 but its just a matter of typing in in with however you named your bin file

Last edited:

Extrix

Sadly, it's not. what I type in bold in my first post is what came up. I cannot type in any atiflash commands or anything at all except what it's looking for...

(Also, someone needs to put some spaces in between their commands? hehehe!)

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Sadly, it's not. what I type in bold in my first post is what came up. I cannot type in any atiflash commands or anything at all except what it's looking for...

(Also, someone needs to put some spaces in between their commands? hehehe!)
yeah I know, it was a while ago and I got some great help getting it to work.
sorry I dont know what to tell ya.

Are you just having problems getting your mem stick bootable?

Extrix

I got it bootable, I just get this message and can't do anything further until I figure out what to do:

type the name of the command interpreter (e.i. C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)C:>

Extrix

The program in this thread:

"USB_DOS.zip" ... that one. (At the bottom of the first post)

If I try to format the stick in windows I can't seem to get the option to pick any bootfiles or anything, so I think that may be out of the question.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
you made your stick dos bootable, did you install the ati flashing tool on the drive also?

I think you used the wrong program to make it bootable,

take a look at this

Extrix

Hi, thanks for the help thus far. I guess i was using 'HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool' already, however I found a newer version online and I'm going to try that. I'll post when I have any results.

Thanks!

Extrix

Hm, still the same thing with Quick Format unchecked. Perhaps it's the bootfiles? I'm not very smart with this kind of stuff, but are there different boot files for Windows 98 then say for Windows XP? Perhaps the Windows XP boot files will agree more with my computer?

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
see if you can track down Erocker or SneekyPete, there moderators here and very knowledgeable on this problem your having. :toast:

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Is the drive formatted as FAT32 before you installed the boot utility and the ATIflash, also have you gone into bios and made the PC boot a USB first?

When done right it should boot to a prompt directly.

Extrix

Is the drive formatted as FAT32 before you installed the boot utility and the ATIflash

What is the `boot utility`. I just bought the drive at the store and formatted it as FAT32 with the boot files, then dragged using windows explorer, ATIFlash onto the drive.

also have you gone into bios and made the PC boot a USB first?

What do you mean by first, but yes I have tried to boot from it using the BIOS...

Thanks!

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Ok with a new USB drive I would remove any pre installed software from the stick. Sometimes companies put them on for easy of use. If there are any drag em to a folder on your desktop so you may retrieve them later.

I would then reformat the drive via windows as FAT32. Then you should be able to drop in the HP boot utility, and the ATI flash and the bios file onto the drive, dont forget to grab all the ATIflash files that you got in the download.

Then go into your bios' boot priority, and make sure the USB drive is set to boot first. Then when you boot you should just get a command prompt where you start typing atiflash and then your flash commands.

Extrix

Hi there,

Thank you both for the help you have offered.

I managed to get it to work finally. I formatted the USB Drive to FAT32 with sneekypeets' advice, and then formatted it again using HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool. I then used the boot files HPUSBFW_BOOTFILES located here.

I restarted my computer, change the BIOS so it loaded the USB drive and it booted up perfectly into the correct command prompt. I then typed atiflash -f -p 0 XXX.bin and presto! It worked!

However, I still had a bluescreen issue. I removed my graphics card and RAM from my computer and vacuumed the computer a little bit. I switched the RAM stick's places and put everything else back in all nice and clean and it is working perfectly now. Keep your comptuer clean! ;)

I posted this so that anyone else who might be having the same issue can figure it out since I did!

Thanks guys.