• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XP sound cocked up?

mlp

Hi

I have been trying to fix a sound problem on my Dell OEM installation of XP Pro sp3

All seems simple however i am trying to find a file that should be on the installation disc but!!

The file is "SndVol32.exe" .I have searched the disc many times and even searched another spare installation disk but nothing comes but "not found "

I have found some remedies in some of the microsoft updates and followed the instructions to the letter but without the file being on the install disk how can I solve the problem any help would be welcome

regards
marshall

System Name Everyday driver
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Motherboard Asrock 870 Extreme3
Cooling Xigmatek Prime SD1484
Memory 4x GSkill 4GB DDR3 1866
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780ti
Storage 2x WD Black 640GB RAID 0
Display(s) Samsung 245BW 1920x1200
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Corsair TX-850
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 SP1
The file on the XP install disk is compressed and is named "sndvol32.ex_" . Try the following to restore it (got this solution from Microsoft Community):

1. Insert the Windows XP CD into your computer's CD drive or DVD drive. Press and hold the SHIFT key as you insert the CD to prevent it from starting automatically.
2. Start>Run>cmd [enter]
3. At the command prompt, type the drive letter of the CD drive or DVD drive, type a colon, and then press Enter. For example, if your computer’s CD drive is drive E, you would type the following at the command prompt:
e: [enter]
4. Still in the command prompt, type:
cd i386 [enter]
expand sndvol32.ex_ C:\Windows\system32\sndvol32.exe [enter]

Note There is a space between "ex_" and "c:\windows" in this command.
5. Type exit to exit the command prompt, and then press Enter.
6. Verify that you can start Volume Control and that the Volume icon is displayed in the notification area. If the Volume icon is displayed in the notification area, you are finished.

Last edited: