Thursday, April 5th 2007
Hardcore Windows XP fans will claim that Vista is currently buggy and bloated. Hardcore Mac OS X fans will claim that at least half of Vista is inspired by Mac OS X. Hardcore Linux fans laugh at all of this, and simply install the free Beryl user interface on the latest free distro of Ubuntu (or some other *nix distro). However, The Register has found some compelling reasons to move from whatever you're using to Windows Vista. The following is a shortened list, please click the source link for the full version of the list.
- UAC- It really makes the OS more secure, and despite how annoyed you may get with it, you have to admit it's a step in the right direction.
- Windows Aero- It's pretty and easy. Enough said.
- It comes with better bundled software- All the programs that come pre-loaded with Windows are either old favorites, or very new programs with great features.
- Vista Live = Xbox Live for the PC. Really.
- Halo 2- What Halo fans have been waiting for over the years is finally coming to the PC. And it looks better than most of us imagined.
- DirectX10 API- All new games/ graphics cards will eventually be exclusively for DX10 and Vista, so we better get used to it.
- Windows Vista search functions- Windows indexing the everything really helps when you misplace something.
- Windows Firewall- It's pretty good this time around, if you need a firewall.
- Lots of pretty hardware/laptops are coming out that are designed just for Vista.
- Microsoft is pushing for a complete move to Windows Vista, hence, they'll drop support for everything older just like they did for Windows 9x and ME.