• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Throwing the Gauntlet at Intel for releasing biased & unreliable benches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
And this topic is not about PSUs
No - its about doing your homework and learning the facts before purchasing. It was an illustration that applies to CPUs too. Sorry you could not understand that, and as such, found it necessary to denigrate the thread with personal insults. I'm arrogant? NO WHERE did I call out anyone personally to criticize them with insults or name-calling because I did not like or disagreed with their comments or opinions. So look in the mirror, bud.

I don't think you get what this topic is really about.
Do you? This topic is not about GPUs either - but you are spending a lot of time on GPUs when Intel isn't even in the discrete (graphics card) GPU business.

Plain bullshit. Nobody said they talk about "all Intels vs all AMDs".
But my point was unless you specify a specific Intel vs a specific AMD instead of continually generalizing with just "Intel" and "AMD", then you are! Because as others have noted, AMD has done their share of marketing fluff and hype too. Plus, not every AMD CPU is inferior to every Intel CPU.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I think the last paragraph in the article sums things up nicely.

It seems to me AMD's benchmark is far more biased, considering it doesn't single out the product they're actually trying to sell.

The thing is, the PCMark8 benchmark suit is a good well rounded suit for the whole computer if you run all the tests. AMD ran the Work test only, which is the least CPU intense test in the entire suite. It tests Excel and Word and Video chat, thats pretty much it. Any CPU on the market can handle those tasks.

At the very least they should have run the PCMark8 Home test, which gives a better idea of home tasks, what the average end user will be doing. PCMark8 Work by itself is not a well rounded benchmark.

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
System Name eazen corp | Xentronon 7.2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X // PBO max.
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 w/ AM4 kit // 3x Corsair AF140L case fans (2 in, 1 out)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 @ 3800, CL16-19-19-39-58-1T, 1.4 V
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti modded to MATRIX // 2000-2100 MHz Core / 1938 MHz G6
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 1TB NVME/Samsung SSD 830 128GB&850 Evo 500GB&F3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate 2TB 5900RPM
Display(s) Samsung 27" Curved FS2 HDR QLED 1440p/144Hz&27" iiyama TN LED 1080p/120Hz / Samsung 40" IPS 1080p TV
Case Corsair Carbide 600C
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Creative SB X AE-5 @ Logitech Z906 / Sony HD AVR @PC & TV @ Teufel Theater 80
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
Mouse Logitech G700 @ Steelseries DeX // Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB /w Cherry MX Brown switches
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 15 095 Time Spy | P29 079 Firestrike | P35 628 3DM11 | X67 508 3DM Vantage Extreme
No - its about doing your homework and learning the facts before purchasing. It was an illustration that applies to CPUs too. Sorry you could not understand that, and as such, found it necessary to denigrate the thread with personal insults. I'm arrogant? NO WHERE did I call out anyone personally to criticize them with insults or name-calling because I did not like or disagreed with their comments or opinions. So look in the mirror, bud.
I think I understand more than enough and more you think I can understand, but think what you want, fantasize more about it, if it makes you happy - again I don't care. Also, being arrogant is possible without calling out anyone, or talking to someone directly (you talked to EVERYONE in this thread). Stupid that you think you can be arrogant and patronize everyone and get away with it with such a lousy reason ("I didn't call names"). lol I think you are over 40 or over 50 years old, your social skills seem pretty limited regarding that, or you know it and are just making excuses. I think it's more likely the second one.

Do you? This topic is not about GPUs either - but you are spending a lot of time on GPUs when Intel isn't even in the discrete (graphics card) GPU business.
I already said that this topic is about a lot of things, GPUs too. I don't care about your ignorance either / I don't care if you accept this fact. Intel is in the GPU business, they have a high market share, the highest of the world (% GPUs sold or owned by users), they are just not in the "discrete" GPU market, but that's not really important here. Still, every CPU they sell with GPU in it, means, AMD/NV/other companys (if any) sell a GPU less - basically the same as producing discrete GPUs.

btw. a discussion is a fluid, moving thing, nailing it down to one specific thing is just in theory possible. You can go in every thread of this forum and see if people are at 100% holding to the respectable topic (guess what, they are not). Stating that, this discussion started with CPUs and moved to other things too, it simply advanced further, nothing special. So I don't see your point in nailing it down, other than to patronize people. I guess you get a hold of every chance patronizing people...

But my point was unless you specify a specific Intel vs a specific AMD instead of continually generalizing with just "Intel" and "AMD", then you are! Because as others have noted, AMD has done their share of marketing fluff and hype too. Plus, not every AMD CPU is inferior to every Intel CPU.
In some regards I was talking about "all" Intel / AMD, regarding their PR/Advertising etc. yes. But that's it. But I never said every Intel is better, or every AMD is better than any Intel CPU etc. I don't know why you are making this up and what's the point in it. Again I think you really like to patronize others, or like to deliver a speech, because I don't see the point in it. It's a discussion like every other, nothing to be ashamed of, it doesn't need a person showing up patronizing everyone. End of story - I won't continue this kindergarten with you forever, if you can't - for once - accept a mistake on your side.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
Processor i7-13700k
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming z790-plus
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 RGB
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR5 7000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super ( 2800mhz @ 1.0volt, ~60mhz overlock -.1volts)
Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro PCIe4 NVme, 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Display(s) Acer Predator XB273u 27inch IPS G-Sync 165hz
Power Supply Corsair RMx Series RM850x (OCZ Z series PSU retired after 13 years of service)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/01/amd-takes-a-swing-at-intels-sysmark-benchmarks-misses-completely/
tl:DR amds cpus are still shit regardless of any compiler optimisations this boils down to AMD whining like a 4 year old that just had its toys taken away and was made to sit in a corner
Read through that, they do make valid points about both sides and where amd is wrong in how they promote this.

Was thinking if AMD is attacking benchmarks now, wonder if Zen which AMD tout's as getting them back in the game might end up being another bulldozer? i don't want to see amd die but really though there is a point where they should tell their PR staff to shut up quit talking, then tell their R&D to get off their butt's.

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
System Name eazen corp | Xentronon 7.2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X // PBO max.
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 w/ AM4 kit // 3x Corsair AF140L case fans (2 in, 1 out)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 @ 3800, CL16-19-19-39-58-1T, 1.4 V
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti modded to MATRIX // 2000-2100 MHz Core / 1938 MHz G6
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 1TB NVME/Samsung SSD 830 128GB&850 Evo 500GB&F3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate 2TB 5900RPM
Display(s) Samsung 27" Curved FS2 HDR QLED 1440p/144Hz&27" iiyama TN LED 1080p/120Hz / Samsung 40" IPS 1080p TV
Case Corsair Carbide 600C
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Creative SB X AE-5 @ Logitech Z906 / Sony HD AVR @PC & TV @ Teufel Theater 80
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
Mouse Logitech G700 @ Steelseries DeX // Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB /w Cherry MX Brown switches
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 15 095 Time Spy | P29 079 Firestrike | P35 628 3DM11 | X67 508 3DM Vantage Extreme
Read through that, they do make valid points about both sides and where amd is wrong in how they promote this.

Was thinking if AMD is attacking benchmarks now, wonder if Zen which AMD tout's as getting them back in the game might end up being another bulldozer? i don't want to see amd die but really though there is a point where they should tell their PR staff to shut up quit talking, then tell their R&D to get off their butt's.
I agree to the PR stuff, they should stick to the matters and be objective. Zen however can't be like Bulldozer, they already explained the architecture, it's a standard x86 CPU, no modules, real cores and up to 8 of them (desktop PC). The plans looked promising + it will have HTT. It's likely IPC will be a LOT higher than compared to Piledriver or latest iteration of FX - Excavator, because they strictly focused on IPC this time around. What I'm questioning is, how much the frequency will be? Will it be enough? And what will be the pricing? How about energy consumption? Such things... but I'm not questioning whether it will be another Bulldozer or not, I'm 99.9 period shure it will not, they learned from it, and plans already proved it's a traditional design like Sandy Bridge.

Last edited:
System Name HTPC
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 - 3.00/6M/1333
Motherboard AsRock G31M-GS R2.0
Cooling CoolerMaster Vortex 752 - Black
Memory 4 Go (2x2) Kingston ValueRam DDR2-800
Video Card(s) Asus EN8600GT/HTDP/512M
Storage WD 3200AAKS
Display(s) 32" Irico E320GV-FHD
Case Aerocool Qx-2000
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Enermax NoiseTaker 2 - 465w
Mouse Logitech Wave MK550 combo (M510)
Keyboard Logitech Wave MK550 combo (K350)
Software Win_7_Pro-French
Benchmark Scores Windows index : 6.5 / 6.5 / 5.6 / 6.3 / 5.9
All this stuff really matters to high end users like productivity and gamers. For all day use and average people who never really use full power what matter the most is how much they can keep in their wallets. Budget rigs mostly always goes for AMD imho.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Zen which AMD tout's as getting them back in the game might end up being another bulldozer?

Zen's new marketing:

"AMD Zen - 9 Out Of 10 People Can't Tell It Isn't An Intel!*"
*In Microsoft Excel

Zen however can't be like Bulldozer, they already explained the architecture, it's a standard x86 CPU, no modules, real cores and up to 8 of them (desktop PC).

Just because it has "real" cores doesn't mean it can't be a performance disappointment. The original Phenom was "real" cores and it was pretty disappointing. Though I am hopeful for Zen, Jim Keller being a part of the design is a very good sign.

System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
Software Windows 11 Professional x64 (Update 23H2)
another problem about AMD is their CPU coolers.I dunno why but it look really microscopic compared to Intel's if u ask me & they're terrible at keeping temps at bay for an already hot processor chip. Intel's stock cooler at the very least has big surface area & large fan to keep their chips cool.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Both Intel and AMD's stock coolers suck. AMD just runs hotter...

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
There certainly are more efficient aftermarket coolers, but in spite of what the aftermarket cooler marketing weenies want us to believe, both Intel and AMD supply quality coolers that are more than adequate for most users. They have to be because they are the ONLY coolers that are warrantied to cool the CPUs they come with. OEM coolers today get a bad rap because OEM coolers of yesteryear were lousy.

OEM coolers are warrantied for 3 full years. And in the rare event a failed cooler somehow destroys the CPU, ONLY OEM coolers cover CPU replacement too. No aftermarket cooler does that. I note the often recommended CM 212 is only warrantied for a lousy 1 year. :rolleyes: Even the OEM TIM pads are MUCH better than those used years ago.

Unless doing extreme overclocking, or you need total silence for a home theater PC, I always recommend users at least try the OEM coolers first. Typically, they are surprised how well and how quietly they work. And then they are surprised that it is typically the GPU, PSU, or case fans they are hearing and not the CPU fan.

They can always swap in an aftermarket cooler later on if not satisfied.

It is, after all, the case's responsibility to supply a sufficient flow of cool air through the case. The CPU fan need only toss up the CPU's heat into that flow. If case cooling is not doing the job with a default clocked CPU and OEM cooler, then the user (and/or computer builder) has failed to properly configure case cooling!!!
another problem about AMD is their CPU coolers.I dunno why but it look really microscopic compared to Intel's if u ask me & they're terrible at keeping temps at bay for an already hot processor chip. Intel's stock cooler at the very least has big surface area & large fan to keep their chips cool.
Perhaps that is a driving force for AMD to come out with this new cooler. That said, an advantage of the smaller coolers is they fit in slim cases, which seem to be getting more popular. And while size does matter, size is not everything. The composition of the heatsink, the fan's CFM, and of course case cooling too.

Intel is in the GPU business, they have a high market share, the highest of the world
:roll: Yeah right. And you call me ignorant? Did you even notice I specifically said (I will bold it this time for you), "Intel isn't even in the discrete (graphics card) GPU business." Got a link to a current, PCIe Intel graphics card?
btw. a discussion is a fluid, moving thing, nailing it down to one specific thing is just in theory possible.
Ah! I see. So it is okay for you to run a topic OT as long as it suits you. But for me to use "selecting PSUs" as an example (NOT a OT topic) for buying a graphics is not okay because it does not suit you. Right. :rolleyes: And you call me arrogant?

I am not ashamed of any thing I said. Nor did I say anything that was in error - so nothing to admit too.
I won't continue this kindergarten
No more of your name calling! That would be wonderful. Thank you. And I will not respond to your personal affronts any more either.

Processor i7-13700k
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super ( 2800mhz @ 1.0volt, ~60mhz overlock -.1volts)
Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro PCIe4 NVme, 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Power Supply Corsair RMx Series RM850x (OCZ Z series PSU retired after 13 years of service)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
I agree to the PR stuff, they should stick to the matters and be objective. Zen however can't be like Bulldozer,
What I ment by that is a lot of promoted by bulldozer being this great new arch but when it came out it was barely any better then what they had before. They changed the arch but doesn't mean its better til it is shown to be.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6400CL32┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
This claim is real annoying. AMD is trying to spin its usual "whole package performance is more important than raw CPU performance" from just a marketing factor to a misleading claim against Intel. Can they just leave it alone and be modest with a "BD is not what we need, so that's why we're working as hard as we can on Zen"? First the FX-8350 was the embodiment of "look, moar cores", then when it didn't work they threw that away and tried to promote FM2+ and their laptop APUs with "CPU performance is irrelevant because our iGPUs are x times more powerful than Intel's iGPUs".

Intel isn't clean, and never has been. But this is just another case of AMD trying to turn attention away from the fact that all BD-based platforms are absolute shit. The IPC difference between Excavator and Broadwell is significant but probably not 50%, but if you take into account the fact that most laptop manufacturers have tamed Intel ULV CPUs' Turbo but have absolutely no idea of how to cool Kaveri / Carrizo properly without axing performance, 50% is not far off the mark.

They even admitted in the very claim that they could not actually beat Intel. So what's the big deal here? Get beat by a chunk, or get beat by a chunk and half, you're still getting beat, and BD is shit. Just shut the hell up and work on getting Zen to the market when you need it to and we'll all be just fine.

This is all like appealing a rather unfair mark of 32% on an exam when you should have clearly gotten 35%. The pass threshold is 40%. Fight or no fight, you're still getting sent back to where you came from.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P

Have you ever used an AMD heatpipe cooler?...The intel cooler isn't larger in any dimension.

Om what way? I have never in my entire life as a PC guy seen AMD processors hitting 88-90C on their stock coolers at stock settings, (save a bad fan, or some other physical issue). Plenty of Intel CPU's do however.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
If they (AMD) want to save their face, I hope they don't exaggerate on claims that their upcoming Zen & Polaris architecture are performing "worlds apart" while comparing on older chips from Nvidia & Intel while using botched benches to gain popularity & hype in their favor. But, since it's them after all... they'll gonna go on full force with it & shit starts hitting the fan all over again. If that happens, I won't be seeing AMD in any of my new builds.
Well, here's hoping the strategy fares better than the last time AMD tried a full court press on Intel. Benchmarking a non existent processor against cherry picked opposition with deliberately out of date benchmark scores...to the enterprise sector

(NSFW.....)

hat

Enthusiast
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Benchmark Scores >9000
Om what way? I have never in my entire life as a PC guy seen AMD processors hitting 88-90C on their stock coolers at stock settings, (save a bad fan, or some other physical issue). Plenty of Intel CPU's do however.

Hm, I'll give you that much, but I do know that many AMD users even with good coolers speak of high temps with their latest processors. Intel might be better off if they didn't use god knows what as their TIM between the CPU die and IHS and then try to cool that with a coaster. For what it's worth, I value AMD's stock cooler a good few notches above Intel's...

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Hm, I'll give you that much, but I do know that many AMD users even with good coolers speak of high temps with their latest processors. Intel might be better off if they didn't use god knows what as their TIM between the CPU die and IHS and then try to cool that with a coaster. For what it's worth, I value AMD's stock cooler a good few notches above Intel's...

What are high temps? AMD users complain about 55C on this forum.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Have you ever used an AMD heatpipe cooler?...The intel cooler isn't larger in any dimension.

Yeah, AMD's heatpipe cooler is way better than anything put out by Intel.

They have to be because they are the ONLY coolers that are warrantied to cool the CPUs they come with.

Intel and AMD warranty their CPUs regardless of what cooler you use, as long as the cooler used is adequate. Their high end Intel processors don't even come with a cooler anymore.

OEM coolers today get a bad rap because OEM coolers of yesteryear were lousy.

Intel's stock cooler has only gotten worse over the years. Most lower end processors come with short blocks of all aluminum crap coolers. The mid-range processors use the same small heatsink, but with a copper core, all be it a hollow copper core. At least 10 years ago Intel's coolers were tall, giving at least double the surface area, and had solid copper cores.

AMD is pretty much the same, they've be using the same heatpipe cooler since the FX-60, and the solid aluminum ones they give with most of their processors suck compared to it. Only the high end FX processors come with the heatpipe cooler.

Sure the stock cooler is fine for stock speeds, but all but the AMD heatpipe one are terrible.

Processor i7-13700k
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
What are high temps? AMD users complain about 55C on this forum.
yea amd 8000 series only runs in the 55-60c range give or take. Problem is when max temp the cpu can run without frying is like 65-70c or there abouts yea that is considered High.

Last edited:

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
yea amd 8000 series only runs in the 55-60c range give or take. Problem is when max temp the cpu can run without frying is like 65-70c or there abouts yea that is considered High.

65-70 is still 25+ degrees cooler than intel.

Intel and AMD warranty their CPUs regardless of what cooler you use, as long as the cooler used is adequate. Their high end Intel processors don't even come with a cooler anymore.

Technically neither do AMD's top end ones. The 9370/9590 are sold WOF, unless you ordered the handful with a watercooler packaged with them

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
This claim is real annoying. AMD is trying to spin its usual "whole package performance is more important than raw CPU performance" from just a marketing factor to a misleading claim against Intel. Can they just leave it alone and be modest
The problem is they can't leave it alone because Intel's marketing machine is running roughshod over AMD with their own marketing "ploys" to smash AMD. AMD is left with no recourse but defend itself.

AMD and Intel need each other (and we need both) but sadly, they don't see it that way.
Intel's stock cooler has only gotten worse over the years.
Sorry, but I don't agree with that at all. They are quieter and more efficient. 10 years ago, even with mild overclocking, the OEM coolers (with AMD or Intel) would not be sufficient. Today, OEM coolers are able to support even moderate overclocking - with properly configured case cooling, of course.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
The problem is they can't leave it alone because Intel's marketing machine is running roughshod over AMD with their own marketing "ploys" to smash AMD. AMD is left with no recourse but defend itself.

AMD and Intel need each other (and we need both) but sadly, they don't see it that way.

Sorry, but I don't agree with that at all. They are quieter and more efficient. 10 years ago, even with mild overclocking, the OEM coolers (with AMD or Intel) would not be sufficient. Today, OEM coolers are able to support even moderate overclocking - with properly configured case cooling, of course.

That's what happens when the CPU is 1/3rd-1/2 the wattage

System Name Addison Clark
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x3D delid
Motherboard Asus X670E Hero
Cooling Custom Bykski loop CPU, GPU, 2x 360 rads, and 1x 280 rad with Arctic P12 and P14 ARGB fans
Memory G.Skill DDR5-6000 64GB CL30
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 4090 Aorus Master
Storage Kingston Fury 2TB and 4TB NVME
Display(s) Samsung 57"
Case Lian Li O11 mini
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000w SFX-L
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platnium
Software Win 11 Pro
Good points Bill.

I will say Intel back in the day did a brilliant job of advertising - Remember the aliens saying "Peeennntiuuuuummm"?
Intel was the only chipmaker back then doing such, never saw any ads from AMD, Cyrix, IBM, or anyone else involved with chipmaking at the time.

They used this to establish the brand name and product line in the same way you'd think of many common products by the same name - And it worked.

AMD did try though. Watch this. :shadedshu:

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
AMD did try though. Watch this
lol That was good - and true back then. But everything changes and marketing campaigns fade away - otherwise, we would still be watching Geico caveman commercials!

hat

Enthusiast
Benchmark Scores >9000
That's what happens when the CPU is 1/3rd-1/2 the wattage
I don't see it. CPU TDP has pretty much remained the same throughout my knowledge, through different market segments.

Status
Not open for further replies.