• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BFBC2:Vietnam - 6900 series cards and artifacts

f0d

I don't want to make panic, but this threads starting to be like that:

1. Denial—"My card is fine, I've flashed it to HD6970."; "Everybody does that."

2. Anger—"Why me? It's not ok to have an artifacts!"; "How can this happen to me?"; "Who is to blame?"

3. Bargaining—"It's driver related."; "It's the bug in CCC."; "I will flash it back to HD6950 and everything will be ok.";
4. Depression—"I'm so sad, 300$ paperweight card?"; "It's ok, I'll RMA this one. Maybe they will fix it"; "I feel so bad. I'm gonna be sick."

5. Acceptance—"It's going to be okay."; "The artifacts are small and hard to see.";

PS. This is a Kübler-Ross model.

well if i get artifacts that other people dont get then i may consider my card damaged

but every single artifact i have found so far has been confirmed as a bug - even nvidia people get the same bug as me with 4XX series cards and BFBC2

Kaali

System Name Gamer Rig
Processor i7 950 @ 4GHZ
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Extreme
Cooling Corsair h70
Memory 3*2 GO Corsair Dominator GT PC16000
Video Card(s) 2*6950 unlock shader bios @ 840 GPU and 1325 Memory
Storage OCZ Vertex 2 60 go + Maxtor 500GO
Display(s) AOC 22" 1080P
Case Cooler Master HAF X
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000W
Software Windows 7 64
Thanks Arroyo , i think i am gonna Rma the 2 6950 to see if the new one have the same issue with stock bios !

System Name "Złotko"
Processor AMD 1055T @ 3600 MHz
Motherboard Asrock 880G@890GX
Cooling Thermalright 120 Xtreme (lapped)
Memory A-Data 1600 Plus
Video Card(s) Asus HD6950 unlocked - WOW
Storage many more than you can imagine
Display(s) Acer AL1923 and Philips 40PFL5605H
Case Fractal Define R3
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Music / onboard
Power Supply Seasonic M12D 850W
Software viruses, worms, trojan horses, spyware, adware, rootkits
Benchmark Scores 2.3 promile of alcohol in my blood and still standing
Thats what I'm talking about. You guys (f0d & Kaali) are the best examples.
Kaali accepted his situation, that he have a broken card and f0d is still bargaining.

I have not seen that many RMA's and broken cards since HD2900 series. Tommorow I will install my new HD6950. I would not flash it to HD6970 so I can show you the pointless of this discussion. THERE IS NO ARTIFACTING ON UNMODDED CARDS!

ac3

You need to do some more research arroyo, all the artifacts (more glitches really) f0d has spotted are all found on nvidia and other model cards. SO THERE ARE! lol.

f0d

Thats what I'm talking about. You guys (f0d & Kaali) are the best examples.
Kaali accepted his situation, that he have a broken card and f0d is still bargaining.

I have not seen that many RMA's and broken cards since HD2900 series. Tommorow I will install my new HD6950. I would not flash it to HD6970 so I can show you the pointless of this discussion. THERE IS NO ARTIFACTING ON UNMODDED CARDS!

its hard not to think its a driver issue when other bugs are happening with completely different cards

Mine are 2x5850's thats what leads me to think it's map specific.
Try what crazyeyed suggests it could be just a dx 11 issue..although that said i havenot noticed it until i played earlier today..?

nah its a DX11 + driver issue

otherwise all DX11 apps would do it

and everything works fine and dandy for me except BC2 in DX11 mode. heres the kicker DX11 mode in BC2 only effects SHADOW filtering etc thus its not really using DX11 to any great extent while every real DX11 app that uses tessellation i have 0 issues this includes even Metro 2033 with the Direct COmpute blur filter + tessellation no issues. for me its just BC2 being a pos port lol

He is right i have the same setup as him,I get them with my 6970s in stock clocks.Just that one map in BC2Vietnam too_Only game i have with DX11 10.12a drivers .

But he has no artifact or issues in 3dmark 11, i have the same thing with my 6950 and my 5770

I get that same stuff on my GTX470 guys

Compare with this video, same red star ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlsZjYh78DY

Your card is definitily ok :rockout:

and the problem with BFBC2 was the bloom setting - with bloom off BFBC2 is fine

Last edited:
System Name "Złotko"
Memory A-Data 1600 Plus
Case Fractal Define R3
f0d, Depression and Acceptance will come. You are still bargaining.

BF BC2 is not the only game with green dots. Try out Crysis

f0d

f0d, Depression and Acceptance will come. You are still bargaining.

BF BC2 is not the only game with green dots. Try out Crysis

i know - i have allready posted about it

i am not bargaining

i just want to have an artifact that someone else DOESNT get for proof of a bad card

oh and i have tested alot more than just bfbc2 - those replys are for 3dmark11 and HK2207 too

some more CONFIRMED driver bugs http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33972531 he RMA'd a 6970 and the problems still continue in GTA4 and other games

the drivers seem very unstable with so many problems with so many games - i have a few other confirmed artifacts with the latest catalyst drivers and 6900 cards too (like red faction guerilla and super meat boy)

System Name "Złotko"
Memory A-Data 1600 Plus
Case Fractal Define R3
f0d I will try to help you.
Tommorow I will be testing my HD6950, so give me the list of games and places in games where did you get artifacting. I'll check them and post you some screenshots If I will found artifacts. What do you use to record clips from games?

Kaali

System Name Gamer Rig
Processor i7 950 @ 4GHZ
Cooling Corsair h70
Display(s) AOC 22" 1080P
Case Cooler Master HAF X
Software Windows 7 64

Kaali

System Name Gamer Rig
Processor i7 950 @ 4GHZ
Cooling Corsair h70
Display(s) AOC 22" 1080P
Case Cooler Master HAF X
Software Windows 7 64
Arroyo any news about testing your 6950 ? I have send tickets to sapphire for rma waiting their reply :s

badb0y

f0d, Kaali Are you guys getting artifacts in any other games or just BFBC2 Vietnam?

EDIT: Most of the stuff you posted aren't really artifacts but more like bugs. When those happen to me in-game I never notice them unless someone points them out to me (I don't play BFBC2). Anyways when I get artifacts on my 6950 it usually happens when I am pushing my OC too far (trying to get to 1100 core LOL) and usually they occur and keep coming back and forth.

This isn't a good idea but I do this occasionally, run OCCT with error checking. It taxes the GPU beyond anything else right now can and it checks for errors for you so you don't need lightning eyes. I ran my card for about 2 hours before I quit because I wasn't getting errors and it seemed pointless to continue. Anything that won't show up on your GPU after going through hell probably won't show up in a regular game :cool: .

6950 1536 shaders currently at 900/1400 aiming for 1100c/1500+ memory once my Shaman cooler comes in :rockout: .

Last edited:

EREN007TR

i have 6950. i flash 6970 bask reflash 6950. but i see artifact bc2 vietnam when enabled aa but only vantage point map. (first part on map )

Mirmendis

Processor I7 920 3.8ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte EX58 UD3r
Cooling Noctua NHu12p
Memory Corsait 3x2go 12800
Video Card(s) HD 6950
Storage Velociraptor 150 - Seagate 11 500go
Case Nine hundred
Power Supply cooler master real power 1000W
Software Seven 64, XP 32
Your cards are fine, i don't understand why arroyo is so stubborn, the same thing occurs with many other cards ...

Last edited:

f0d

f0d, Kaali Are you guys getting artifacts in any other games or just BFBC2 Vietnam?

EDIT: Most of the stuff you posted aren't really artifacts but more like bugs. When those happen to me in-game I never notice them unless someone points them out to me (I don't play BFBC2). Anyways when I get artifacts on my 6950 it usually happens when I am pushing my OC too far (trying to get to 1100 core LOL) and usually they occur and keep coming back and forth.

This isn't a good idea but I do this occasionally, run OCCT with error checking. It taxes the GPU beyond anything else right now can and it checks for errors for you so you don't need lightning eyes. I ran my card for about 2 hours before I quit because I wasn't getting errors and it seemed pointless to continue. Anything that won't show up on your GPU after going through hell probably won't show up in a regular game :cool: .

6950 1536 shaders currently at 900/1400 aiming for 1100c/1500+ memory once my Shaman cooler comes in :rockout: .

its mostly BFBC2 and crysis

i have figured out that bfbc2 might actually be a problem with the engine on DICE/EA's end as people with gtx 580s are having the same problem - and i can fix it easy by disabling bloom in the settings.ini

my problem now is crysis, with max settings and when AA is on(the more AA the more noticable it is) you can see white dots or blobs flash on the screen for a second every now and again, some spots are worse than others (like first level in the dark) and some spots trigger it more (like looking at distant trees)

here is a quick video i made with MAX settings (very high) dx10 and AA set to 4x (flashed as a STANDARD 1408 shader 800/1250 6950)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJEvl6l1PIY

the video is kinda bad quality (its a little better in HD) and dark but at the 10 second mark you can see one of the "spots" flash up on the screen for a second

found someone with a gtx580 and same problem http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2132173

my card is also fine for hours in ATITOOL and OCCT tests

his seems like a different issue, ours doesnt seem as severe (and bloom off solves the problem for me)

Last edited:

mark_st11

So theres no difference between BC2 and vietnam then? Cause I thought it was just an expansion.

ctn

Your cards are fine, i don't understand why arroyo is so stubborn, the same thing occurs with many other cards ...

Yeah I agree, I'm still waiting for him to post screenshots/pictures of the artifacts.

Zimmerman

i too have the little flashing of white and black spots in bad company 2 vietnam. it seems to occur every time in the vantage point map, but it might have also happened in another vietnam map. i can't really remember. i'm almost positive that it didn't happen in the regular bad company 2 multiplayer, tho. this is with AA on ...with AA off (or at 1x is as low as its goes i think) it seems fine.

also happens in crysis warhead with AA on ...with it off it seems fine. random little white flashes ...sometimes slightly different colors. seems to be rendered in the game. doesn't seem like normal artifacting that i've seen in the past where ram couldn't handle an overclock, etc.

i'm using SLI with nvidia gtx460 MSI hawk talon attack cards that come clocked @ 810mhz out of the box. those cards have a nice cooler/fan setup on them and come with low ns ram for better overclocks (i'm running them at their default speeds ...i haven't touched them at all). i ran the Heaven benchmark in 1080p with max settings and let it loop about 6 times and could not see 1 artifact ...was perfect. my first card would barely reach 55c and my 2nd card would reach 45c. both idle around 28c to 31c. the cards seem very cool anyway.

i'm thinking that this must be a driver/engine issue. too many people are recreating the exact same thing, to a tee.

i also tried each of my cards separately ...1 installed at a time. i only tested crysis warhead this way since it was quicker, but each card when installed separately had the little white flicker spots. its most noticable in the night when looking off into the distance at tress/mountains.

here's another person on the crysis forums with the same issue ...multiple cards tested ...

http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=30437

i also ran 3d mark vantage and 3dmark 11 and both ran perfectly.

i would say running the Heaven benchmark at max settings and letting it loop 6 times is more demanding than loading a crysis warhead save game and instantly seeing the flashing spots within seconds.

i'd like to get to the bottom of this really.

btw, my power supply is an antec truepower new 750w blue. its sli certified up to 2 gtx470 cards according to sli zone.

Last edited:
Reactions: f0d

f0d

i too have the little flashing of white and black spots in bad company 2 vietnam. it seems to occur every time in the vantage point map, but it might have also happened in another vietnam map. i can't really remember. i'm almost positive that it didn't happen in the regular bad company 2 multiplayer, tho. this is with AA on ...with AA off (or at 1x is as low as its goes i think) it seems fine.

also happens in crysis warhead with AA on ...with it off it seems fine. random little white flashes ...sometimes slightly different colors. seems to be rendered in the game. doesn't seem like normal artifacting that i've seen in the past where ram couldn't handle an overclock, etc.

i'm using SLI with nvidia gtx460 MSI hawk talon attack cards that come clocked @ 810mhz out of the box. those cards have a nice cooler/fan setup on them and come with low ns ram for better overclocks (i'm running them at their default speeds ...i haven't touched them at all). i ran the Heaven benchmark in 1080p with max settings and let it loop about 6 times and could not see 1 artifact ...was perfect. my first card would barely reach 55c and my 2nd card would reach 45c. both idle around 28c to 31c. the cards seem very cool anyway.

i'm thinking that this must be a driver/engine issue. too many people are recreating the exact same thing, to a tee.

i also tried each of my cards separately ...1 installed at a time. i only tested crysis warhead this way since it was quicker, but each card when installed separately had the little white flicker spots. its most noticable in the night when looking off into the distance at tress/mountains.

here's another person on the crysis forums with the same issue ...multiple cards tested ...

http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=30437

i also ran 3d mark vantage and 3dmark 11 and both ran perfectly.

i would say running the Heaven benchmark at max settings and letting it loop 6 times is more demanding than loading a crysis warhead save game and instantly seeing the flashing spots within seconds.

i'd like to get to the bottom of this really.

btw, my power supply is an antec truepower new 750w blue. its sli certified up to 2 gtx470 cards according to sli zone.

wow thanks mate
its good to know that others are getting the same thing as i was pretty sure my card wasnt damaged/defective but without others having the same issue i did doubt myself sometimes that my card was fine
but over the last few weeks i have read of a few people with the same problems so that eased my mind some and your post just confirmed it more

thanks

Zimmerman

wow thanks mate
its good to know that others are getting the same thing as i was pretty sure my card wasnt damaged/defective but without others having the same issue i did doubt myself sometimes that my card was fine
but over the last few weeks i have read of a few people with the same problems so that eased my mind some and your post just confirmed it more

thanks

yeah, no problem man. hopefully these issues get resolved somehow. :toast:

for now, i'll have to settle for no AA in those games i guess. my monitor's max resolution is 1080p, and that's what i game in, so i don't really need that much AA anyway really.

still i wanna get some answers on this.

edit: here's a youtube video of the crysis flashing dots ...similar to the effect in bad company 2 vietnam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXvNEh7ggS0

comments and video description say that its an issue with the game.

Last edited:

Kaali

System Name Gamer Rig
Processor i7 950 @ 4GHZ
Cooling Corsair h70
Display(s) AOC 22" 1080P
Case Cooler Master HAF X
Software Windows 7 64
Last edited:

Mirmendis

Processor I7 920 3.8ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte EX58 UD3r
Cooling Noctua NHu12p
Memory Corsait 3x2go 12800
Video Card(s) HD 6950
Storage Velociraptor 150 - Seagate 11 500go
Case Nine hundred
Power Supply cooler master real power 1000W
Software Seven 64, XP 32
Arroyo : "ALL YOUR CARDS ARE DEAD, okay ?? :banghead:"

1. Denial—"All cards are dead";

2. Anger—"Why? It's ok to have an artifacts with 6970 bios!"

3. Bargaining—"I will flash it back all HD6950 of the world and everything will be ok.";

4. Depression—"I'm so sad, everybody has extra performance?"; Maybe i will fix it"; "I feel so bad. I'm gonna be sick."

5. Acceptance—"It's going to be okay."; "I will vanish.";

PS : This is Arroyo model.