1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Catalyst "Frame Pacing" Driver Results Thread

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by erocker, Jul 31, 2013.

1. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    fingers crossed i should have an updated rig tomorrow or saturday to finally test this shizz.

im happy i got an email from AMD, im loved haaa!

2. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Pretty consistent low latency on all my games so far as much as I've tested!

The bloody cards run hot (stock 1010/1375) compared to before. Hell I cant hold my hand on any gpu now! but now both cards are working the same imo :)

3. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I think my XFX 7950 is dying, swapped it to primary and 7970 to secondary, put in CFX with one bridge, installed 13.8s, play Tomb Raider, get good frames for 2 minutes, GPU1 starts throttling to 500MHz for no reason, system eventually hangs. Even with no games, the thing locks up in ~5 minutes with CFX enabled. Time to bring home and try the Gigabyte 7950 card I guess. :banghead:

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    What's the temperatures? I know my twin R7970 Msi reference cards are running way hotter in games then before, especially card #2.. never got as hot compared to earlier drivers.. But still these 13.8's kick some serious ass and as long as it runs the games with out problems. Kodo's to AMD !!! but Fix the high temps :eek:

5. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Max temps on either are no more than 81c core when GPU1 craps out. This card has acted weird in another system and it hasn't been used as a primary card in half a year, so my money is on it being faulty. Plus, it froze while I was downloading the driver anyway lol.

6. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, the latest Cat 13.8 does make the GPU slightly hotter, but if that helps performance and smoothness, who cares :D I have my HD7950 set to 30-40% fan speed until it reaches 80°C, then it goes a bit higher. But usually it goes past 75°C which is fine and is still dead silent...

7. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    I left my 7970's on auto and 85c.. on manual fan settings @ 75 I was hitting 53c...

Then again What ever, it works so who cares as long as the manufacture repairs or replaces the burnt cards. :nutkick:

I think we've been going on so long with the upperr top card being warm and shitty latency that we all thought it was normal... But imo these temps mean nothing! :pimp:

IMO 100c is time to start looking to change something :eek:

I fu**n love this driver!!! Best of all the rest!

8. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    I have a WindForce 3X card so i can afford much lower fan speeds. I don't think you can do the same with reference cooler...

9. Ekklesis

Thanks Received:
    Super news from AMD, but guys please keep posting you impressions with the new drivers; if for example you see some other oddities like the temps going higher

10. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Under water with both my 7970's no temp changes with new drivers

11. The Mac

Thanks Received:
    No change in my temps

Saphhire dual-x

12. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I've been trying 13.8b on my single 7970 in Crysis 3 and at the same time I'm attempting a no cloak, armor or suppression run on Post Human Warrior, which technically SHOULD be less lag prone since cloaking adds more graphics effects.

If anything it should run a bit smoother, but so far it seems a bit more laggy. At the same time I'm trying the built-in MS HD Audio driver, vs the Realtek HD, but I doubt that's what's causing it since it's just a S/PDIF pass through to my AVR. Going to try again with the Realtek driver, but if it still seems laggier I'm rolling back the GPU driver.

At first I was stoked that AMD were cranking out drivers more often, with some pretty good improvements in games like FC3 and TR 2013, but lately it just seems like they're getting ahead of themselves. 13.6 hasn't even gone WHQL, and all of a sudden now there's 13.8 beta released before it even seems ready for consumers. The games Hardware Heaven tested it on saw little if any improvement, some actually had worse results.

13. hckngrtfakt

hckngrtfakt

Thanks Received:
    Tested NFS-MW on these beta drivers, and there's no noticeable difference from before.

MSI Afterbuner still reports same frame rate and temps.

14. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I can't get my two cards to work together very well at all. Almost every 3d application I get fast horizontal lines. Tried everything... back to a single card that I'm going to overclock the snot out of.

15. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    My 7950 and 7970 hybrid setup works fine, and with ULPS disabled because otherwise my second card would show 99% load permanently. My Gigabyte 7950 is a vegetable now so I have to RMA that, which means I had to put the stock leafblower back on the 7970 and run it at 60% just to keep the F@H temperature down to 78c at 1100/1500.

16. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    You said you tried everything, but did you try different Crossfire bridges, or try 2 instead of one? Maybe clean the crossfire fingers with alcohol.

17. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Good tips... but yeah I definitely tried that. I have 7 different bridges I tried. Believe me. I have tried everything.

18. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried switching it off and back on?

sorry, i couldn't resist.

I'm assuming the older drivers work okay for your crossfire (except for the frame pacing issue/non issue)?

19. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Must be something particular to your system since others of us don't have the issue, at least that I don't know of. Mind if I ask what game it's the worst in? I'd like to check something similar to see if I can get the same problem.

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. erocker

Thanks Received:
    I've tried:

Different mobo bios'
    Different VGA bios'
    Various pastes
    Different O/S's
    Different bridges
    various bios and driver configurations
    ULPS on and off
    reseating/checking cables
    praying to various gods
    different monitors
    stock/overclocked/underclocked
    during sunny days
    deleting device id's
    radeon pro
    pie

I'm pretty sure it's one of the cards where the problem is indicative to CrossFire but not on its own. It's strange... When I first installed them it worked fine for a few hours, then I got the issue. Jump ahead... New O/S same thing happens. I just shipped a card off to Sapphire where I got some really good customer service. The guy understood what was happening and they're going to get a tech to take a look at the card. I know the other card is good due to it being in a different CrossFire system (before I bought it) and working.

21. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    well that kinda list and the effort it likely represents would break most much sooner :twitch: some things eh ,, what kinda pie:D and no icecream or custard tut:p

More than 25k PPD
  22. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Wow, I would have given up half way through ;)
    Let's hope there's some sort of fault with the card and that it gets fixed.

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Tried these drivers out despite using a single 7xxx series GPU to see if there is any gains with a single GPU.

Performance dropped until I restarted the PC.
    In certain games there were frame drops where there were none before.

Also seems I acquired a number of windows updates during that time.
    Possibly related to .NET 4.5

EDIT:-

The performance drop happened again.
    Seems to be some optimization issue, potentially with certain games in certain instances.
    Went back to the 13.5 beta 2 and 13.5 CAP1 I had been using without performance drop problems.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  24. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried matching cards? I remember back in the days of the 4850 I would have a similar issue if I mixed brands of cards. In my case I mixed an Asus with a Sapphire with bars across the bottom of the screen. A single card worked great but the second I added another I would have an issue. When I bought a second Asus 4850/same model it ran fine.

25. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    Im using a tricked out version of msi ab and am curious, whats the safe limit on the 7970 reference cards MEMORY voltage. Default is showing 1600mV