1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series to be PCI-Express 3.0 Compliant

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jul 18, 2011.

1. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Running Windows 7 on a Dell XPS Gen 1 Laptop just fine and its faster than XP ever was.

2. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    I haven't really tried it on many legacy setups. My ex-gf's E8300 with 1GB of RAM handled it just as well as XP, so I don't imagine the difference is too huge. I would actually go as far as to say that as long as you have a decent GPU to power all the pretty effects added in the UI you're fine.

3. Shihabyooo

Shihabyooo

Thanks Received:
    Wasn't this thread about AMDs upcoming gfx cards series ?

theoneandonlymrk says thanks.
  4. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    TRIM, less slugish fully patched, DX-11, Aero, Compatibility ect. it's an upgrade! XP needs to GTFO and people need to move on from this 10 year old technology.

It was till the XP trolls got butt hurt.

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  5. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Not to mention usable x64. Windows XP 64-bit is worse than Windows Millennium.

Anyway, let's get back to topic.

6. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    bang on dude im so bored of XPEE, what gwan in the world of 7xxx any clue as to how many compute units and or shaders this will have? and how many grfx engines they gona go for 2 mm 4 or borein 1?.

after reading about their new compute unit shader design, Rage3d site goes and mentions 7xxx and vliw4 in the same paragraph, and no compute unit in sight, is this a continuation of the 2 tier gpu's ala barts/cayman with vliw4 in the mainstream and GCU's in the high end cards?

10 Million points folded for TPU
  7. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    i agree

i only mentioned i wouldn't be able to use this card on xp ,which for me is a downer ,but this is progress

still i'd love to see how the devs of emulators could use this new tech ,obviously it won't be for some time yet, but i can't wait :D

8. bear jesus

bear jesus New Member

Thanks Received:
    I doubt pci-e 3 will make much difference right now but it could be very handy for more bandwidth per slot and per channel used for internal interconnects, say 4 way sli or crossfire being able to run at x8 pci-e 3 would be similar to pci-e 2 x16, or how many lanes some things currently use up (like chipsets and other controller chips like usb 3, pci-e controller cards and SSD's) could be reduced or kept the same and get a nice jump in bandwidth.

Sure it might not impact the first cards much but most of us are using pci-e 2 instead of 1 for many reasons :p

I was thinking the same as more and more sites have reported about both the new compute unit and VLIW4 on the 7xxx cards, if it uses less space it would probably make sense to keep all of the bottom/low end on VLIW4 as it does pretty well and when made on 28nm I'm sure would lead to some pretty small, cool and cheap to produce low end or even mid range cards.

But as we don't really know much about the new architecture yet there could be many reasons to not use it on low end parts or VLIW4 could be part of the new architecture in some way or all the new cards could use the new compute architecture, i guess we just need many many more leaks. :laugh:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  9. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    It has to be a DX9 Compliant GPU, Mine is MR 9800 256MB (R420/23 Core)

It works well on my Sig Setup but Gaming Performance lacks way behind XP cause NV only developed Drivers for XP and dropped the drivers they were making for Vista.

10. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    get a room......:D

10 Million points folded for TPU
  11. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Lmao!