• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple Mac Pro 12-Core 2.93GHz Desktop with AppleCare for $6,469

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Macs are made of some special materialz? Apple boxes just work...hmmm what about the whole Nvidia fiasco w/ gpus? An Apple has just as much chance to go belly up as any other computer

I do feel that off-the-shelf-components are of inferior grade to those that the big-box OEMs get. Can't say in my 20 or so years of using MAC boxes that I ahve had any serious issues...heck, I still have a G3 running perfectly.

I mean, you're right, anything can die, but in my experience, my MAC machines give far less troubles than my Windows-based boxes.

I ran on a hackintosh until I could afford the MacBook...was alot of work to get running. For the time involved, I sohuld have just boght the macbook back then.

I mean really...ask Fits how successful he was building a hackintosh. Sure, that's apple's fault, but I don't care, in the end.

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Motherboard macbook prp retina
Cooling Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta (240mm x 120mm x 80mm)
Memory 16Gb
Video Card(s) Zotac Arctic Storm Nvidia 980ti
Display(s) 1x Acer XB270HU, 1x Catleap, 1x Oculus
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/770087

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Sorry ER, but the OP asked for opinions as to whether the deal was worth it or not(which led to that). Clearly not a "hot deal" thread...maybe it needs to be moved.

I mean really, the only discussion should be whether this ia deal in comparison to normal Apple pricing...and nothing else.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Sorry ER, but the OP asked for opinions as to whether the deal was worth it or not(which led to that). Clearly not a "hot deal" thread...maybe it needs to be moved.

I mean really, the only discussion should be whether this ia deal in comparison to normal Apple pricing...and nothing else.

exactly. you dont post discussion material in hot deals. he should have started this thread in general hardware. i guess it will be moved instead once a mod for this section wakes up...

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Motherboard ASRock X99 Taichi
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Storage SSD + Misc. HDDs in DrivePool
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U, Samsung C32HG70
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC404HD, LSR308, Shure SRH840, AKG K612, Etymotic HF5
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Deck Legend Ice Tactile
Software Win10
"Worth it" compared to what, and for whom? Profit margins for large companies are relatively high in this price bracket, so bang-for-the-buck for the customer is relatively low. Machines like this from companies like Dell are similarly priced. This has the advantage of running OSX (legitimately) as well as Windows. It could be "worth it" compared to buying from non-Apple PC companies, depending on your priorities. Compared to building yourself, however, it wouldn't be worth it to me. Its equivalent can be built for a couple thousand dollars less (I know—I just built a similar rig for a nearby studio), but you couldn't [legitimately] use OSX. Some people would care about that, some wouldn't.

As for "server-grade" vs "regular" components: server-grade stuff is generally higher-binned (for example, many Xeon CPUs over their Pentium/Core i* equivalents). Sometimes it offers features that you don't generally get in regular components (as with ECC RAM and compatible motherboards). Theoretically, "server-grade" should mean it will last longer. In practice, have I ever noticed any difference? No. If it works, it works (and it's going to fail eventually, regardless of whether it's server-grade or not). If it doesn't, it doesn't. Is it worth the theoretically better reliability? Again, depends on your budget and needs.

The build and design quality of Mac Pros is exceptional. This, as well as aesthetics and brand are reflected in their prices. Personally, I'd rather subtract the extra price you pay for the aesthetics and brand name, and add a better data storage solution than a single 1TB HDD, as well as workstation graphics (come on, who that needs a system with 12GB of ECC RAM and 12 cores of CPU is looking for a 5770)?

Easy Rhino said:
....next person to post gets infracted....

Whoa, I didn't see I was going to get infracted for posting until after I posted ... really? :confused: Didn't even realize what section it was posted in until now, either.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Whoa, I didn't see I was going to get infracted for posting until after I posted ... really? :confused: Didn't even realize what section it was posted in until now, either.

not to worry. it was an idle threat. i got w1z to move the thread to someplace more appropriate. :D

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
System Name CDdude's Rig!
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence @1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD 6970 2GB
Storage OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD/WD Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) ASUS VH232H 23" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master CM690 (w/ side window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard (It sounds fine)
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
Simply, no it's not worth it.;)

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Simply, no it's not worth it.;)

Please note I never said it was "worth it" either. My main point was that bashing Apple for the price on that machine-and in fact the whole outdated "Macs are ridiculously overpriced" opinion-is simply unfair and ignorant.

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
Cooling Corsair H70
Please note I never said it was "worth it" either. My main point was that bashing Apple for the price on that machine-and in fact the whole outdated "Macs are ridiculously overpriced" opinion-is simply unfair and ignorant.

Well my statement wasn't addressed at you at all. Sorry if you got that impression.;)

And to an extent i see what your saying, but i don't think at all that it's ignorant or unfair for someone to state a fact that Mac's are generally more expensive, it's a statement that's out dated yes, but that's because it has yet to change.

beyond_amusia

System Name Cozad (Asus G60JX)
Processor Core i5 M 430
Memory 8 GB DDR3 1066
Video Card(s) nVidia GeForce 360M
Storage 500GB
Display(s) 16 inch LED LCD
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
the shipping should be free... :shadedshu

PC to Mac > :nutkick:

Apple is aimed at a select few who want to be 'hip' and 'cool' or look rich... Apple thought the iPod/iTunes would make people go Mac, and it failed horribly. I'd never have an Apple in my home unless it was free, and it'd be running Windows 7.

EDIT: as a musician, I must say PC pwn Mac - and I'm even free to take my loops into Linux or OS X if I like; Logic is much more limited on that kinda thing. I use FL Studio; sure it's clunky, but it's an entire studio.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
The big bonus of Logic is it being able to output sheet music. I don't even normally use VSTs...and loops hardly ever...I compose music and then need to hand out sheets to the other players.

I do not think FL Studio offers this...it is a production tool. I'd never use Logic for that.

For certain things, the closed software platform that Apple provides is a bonus, rather than a setback. My MacBook is used for audio, and audio only...it's never been on the internet. If I buy a program to use, I don't have any worries about whether the hardware I have meets the specs...

But I use a pc for all other computing.

beyond_amusia

System Name Cozad (Asus G60JX)
Processor Core i5 M 430
Memory 8 GB DDR3 1066
Video Card(s) nVidia GeForce 360M
Storage 500GB
Display(s) 16 inch LED LCD
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
The big bonus of Logic is it being able to output sheet music. I don't even normally use VSTs...and loops hardly ever...I compose music and then need to hand out sheets to the other players.

I do not think FL Studio offers this...it is a production tool. I'd never use Logic for that.

For certain things, the closed software platform that Apple provides is a bonus, rather than a setback. My MacBook is used for audio, and audio only...it's never been on the internet. If I buy a program to use, I don't have any worries about whether the hardware I have meets the specs...

But I use a pc for all other computing.

The sheet music would be nice, but I'm sure it would be easy to do that in FL (piano roll) - I use FL to make parts of a song and then assemble it in Acid - my roommate uses FL for it all, and I just find FL too complicated for mastering... Once upon a time Logic was PC + Mac, them Apple bought it... =/ I'm sure Macs are great for music, but don't you find being limited to the integrated audio (Intel I think?) to be lacking? On my ghetto tower I got an Audigy 2 Platinum with the front inputs and MIDI (sadly, I gotta run XP to use them, but XP runs fast on the old bastard so no big loss)

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
Don't matter who its aimed at, OP asked if it was worth it and nothing more and i offered my point of view on it.

I disagree, but we are all entitled to our opinions, and I also offered my point of view on it. He was asking if it was worth it. Not if it was worth it as a gaming machine. I was just pointing out that it is not intended as a gaming machine when it was kind of criticized for not being one. I wouldn't talk trash about a Prius not being able to carry a 2 ton payload when somebody asked if $22K+USD was worth it for one.

freaksavior

To infinity ... and beyond!
System Name ZeroUptime | M.A.S.S / MM1
Processor Xeon 2659 v3 / Xeon 2683 v4 / ARM A14
Motherboard Asus X99-E-10G WS / ASRock x99 usb 3.1 / Apple
Cooling NZXT Kraken / Noctua NH-L12 / Apple
Memory 16Gb DDR4 / 32Gb DDR4 / 16GB HBLM
Video Card(s) Powercooler ATI vega 64 / GT 7300 / ARM
Storage Samsung 970 512 Evo NVMe / A lot. / 256 + 512 External TB3
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 / Headless / Acer X34 Non predator
Case NZXT H630 |Rosewill 8bay 4u server chasiss / MMM1
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply Corais HX850 | Corsair TX750 / Internal 250w
Mouse g502 proteus core / Headless / g502 proteus core
Keyboard Corsair K95 Cherry Blue / Headless / K65 Cherry Red
Software Windows 10 / ESXI / Big Sur 11.2.2
I'm going to give my $0.02 anyway

1st you are all apple haters here. I hate apple threads because y'all always say they suck (they don't always suck, I promise you this)

2nd I love apple (yeah flame me whatever) but $6500 is to much for that. BUT if you are doing video and audio editing all day then yes, i would spend $6500 on that machine. If you where asking is it a good deal compared to the rest to buy and have for day to day use, hell no.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I'm sure Macs are great for music, but don't you find being limited to the integrated audio (Intel I think?) to be lacking?

There is no such limitation. MOTU doesn't ring a bell with ya, does it? Anyway, most pro-grade audio devices are Firewire. In fact, that's bascially all Firewire has been used for...I'm sure the number of firewire devices that exist are most likely 90% audio/video related.

And FruityLoops piano roll is just that...basically a rolling piano. I guess sheet music is old school nowadays. :p :laugh:

FL is relatively new to the market...10 years or so.

Last edited:

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
Cooling Corsair H70
I disagree, but we are all entitled to our opinions, and I also offered my point of view on it. He was asking if it was worth it. Not if it was worth it as a gaming machine. I was just pointing out that it is not intended as a gaming machine when it was kind of criticized for not being one. I wouldn't talk trash about a Prius not being able to carry a 2 ton payload when somebody asked if $22K+USD was worth it for one.

That's a good point to.

I think the majority of people are looking at it as machine for stuff they like to do, and in that aspect, of course most are gonna bash it and say hell no. From the looks of the computer it sounds like it's supposed to be more of a raw processing machine as a opposed to something that's meant to be sitting on someones desk playing crysis. But from what i read, he didn't clarify what the machine was going to be used for, so naturally people are gonna looking at the price and specs and think ''oh hells no!!''.

Then again, Apple is known for their expensive prices and of course most(even me), would recommend going with something you can build on the PC side on things, where in which it's possible to actually get something not only more cheaper, but possibly more powerful then the Mac the OP is talking about. And of course on a site like TPU, where it's hardcore PC hardware all the way.. it's expected to see such Mac criticism on such a forum. $100 bucks says that if you go to a forum like macboard.com or something you'll see PC bashing all most all the time.

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
1st you are all apple haters here. I hate apple threads because y'all always say they suck (they don't always suck, I promise you this)

Yup and, again, I expect more from this place. I'm sorry there is no good technological reason to "hate" Macs anymore and less and less of a price reason too. To continue to spew such crap just makes you look like a small-minded fool who knows nothing about present-day computers.

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
Cooling Corsair H70
Haters will hate, what can you do?

You couldn't count the times i have seen in this forum of people constantly riding AMD/ATI's weenier. But they have their reasons, and no matter how stupid it maybe, it's still a reason.

I think what you have to take into count is a lot of things, i mean this is a forum that's catered towards ''extreme PC users'', so i don't see at all why anyone would be surprised at the Mac bashing.

At the end of the day i really don't care what everyone else buys, it's there money.

But for me, Macs are shit.

Processor Intel Core i5 12400F Alder Lake Hex-Core Processor @ 2.5 GHz
Motherboard Asrock B760M Pro RS/D4
Cooling Thermalright Assassin 120X Refined SE
Memory 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Dual Channel Corsair Vengeance LPX
Video Card(s) Asus RTX2060-DUAL-O6G EVO (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060)
Storage 1TB Samsung PM9A1 NVMe + 500GB Crucial P3 NVMe + 2TB WD Black P10 External HDD
Display(s) Asus VG278Q TN Full HD 144Hz Gaming Monitor
Case MSI MAG Shield 110R
Audio Device(s) Logitech G Pro X Wireless Gaming Headset
Power Supply CoolerMaster MWE Bronze v2 450W
Mouse Razer Viper V3 Hyperspeed w/ Hyperpolling Dongle + Razer Deathadder V3 Wired
Keyboard VGN VXE ATK68 Gateron Mechanical Hall-Effect| Monka 3075 V2 Pro Cherry Powder
Software AtlasOS v0.4
Ridiculous :) Should have been 2x HD5970 not HD5770

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Motherboard ASRock X99 Taichi
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Storage SSD + Misc. HDDs in DrivePool
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U, Samsung C32HG70
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC404HD, LSR308, Shure SRH840, AKG K612, Etymotic HF5
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Deck Legend Ice Tactile
Software Win10

2nd I love apple (yeah flame me whatever) but $6500 is to much for that. BUT if you are doing video and audio editing all day then yes, i would spend $6500 on that machine. If you where asking is it a good deal compared to the rest to buy and have for day to day use, hell no.

Yup and, again, I expect more from this place. I'm sorry there is no good technological reason to "hate" Macs anymore and less and less of a price reason too. To continue to spew such crap just makes you look like a small-minded fool who knows nothing about modern computers.

There's some anti-Mac sentiment here, but there are both closed-minded, as well as thoughtful comments from both camps in this thread.

I posted a bit about both strengths and weaknesses of Apple here. I also stated that Macs are appropriate for some people, but not for others. I would say they are inappropriate for the vast majority of users who are serious about getting some computing done. Exceptions are users who:

a) don't care how much money is spent
b) are determined to use Mac-only software and can't/wont do Hackintosh

There was a time when I considered OSX superior to Windows, but that time has gone—some will agree, some will disagree. Performance-wise, Apple will lose most bang-for-the-buck comparisons. Aesthetically, Apple will often win. Excellent build and design quality are there, and there are some good Mac-only software titles.

I check Apple's site almost daily for product updates and am a regular at the Apple Store. I believe in giving credit where credit is due, and in considering everything objectively. Calling those who disagree with you "small-minded fool who knows nothing about modern computers" is not, I think, appropriate or accurate here.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
if it had a workstation card it wouldn't be that bad but a workstation pc/mac/who cares like that costing 6500 dollars with a 5770 is not worth it.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
if it had a workstation card it wouldn't be that bad but a workstation pc/mac/who cares like that costing 6500 dollars with a 5770 is not worth it.

When STREAM and OpenCL are supported on consumer-level cards, there's no need for workstation products any more. Why would you buy a "specialized" gpu? In fact, in today's market, I don't even think they have a place where they belong...the only true difference is product support, in workstation cards, and I do not know that you'd get that support when buying an Apple...AMD is too Windows-focused, IMHO.

I mean, for that cost, I agree 100%...it should be that grade of product, but see the above.