1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Battlefield 3 Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by TheMailMan78, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't use the word "stuck" as having in game server browser and in game voip is pretty common thing to see for a MP, FPS. So, if I were to just use the xbox 360 you are implying that I could ignore the need for battlelog and I could chat with players on the field instead of trying to alt-tab them into a party. Lets also add that on console I don't have to worry about origin as well.
  2. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Yeah yeah I guess I'm just trying to emphasize that I think voicechat in-game blows chunks and detracts from the immersion (despite the obvious tactical uses and advantages) and that I certainly won't be crying if it never gets added much less just not at launch.

To each their own...
    digibucc says thanks.
  3. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    depends on the server. there are good pub servers, and the one we ran for BC:2 was good, for everyone. what about being able to communicate with pubs in our server? (of course there will be one, or more :) )
    i'm not trying to say it's not abused and annoying and mostly filled with @#!holes, but there is use to it and you only need to use it, when it's useful.
    i am going to love bf3 no matter what, i know that now. but it does make me a little disappointed that i won't have in game voice.

and @Haru (I think)
    there were not always people on, and often ones that are live on the other side of the country(or another country). i'm not going to play at 100+ ping (every night) just to be able to use voice chat. i will play alone on a local server @30ping with no voice before doing that every night.

even having teamspeak as the server banner isn't enough, as a)most people won't switch out to join, and b)it still doesn't distinguish squads, or even teams. not without someone manually moving people into rooms each round. that's crazy imo, to consider it the best alternative. a functional in game voip system is the best possible option - the just need to do it right.
    MT Alex says thanks.
  4. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Well I was thinking I should try to make use of it for this game with you guys, if anything.

I do have a mic...
    digibucc says thanks.
  5. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I'm sorry, but you can't compare an FPS to a Sport Sim. 2K does the samething, those franchises are not like Tony Hawk or COD. Those people that play those religiously actually want a new game each year, for updated rosters, and they actually see new ingame features (animations for hits, more modes, more options with your team). I'm not on the EA bandwagon here, but Activison release a COD every year, I don't think EA(beyond Sports) has a series that they do that for.

Hate comma rose, always have, it's clunky crap. I prefer Q, I don't need to scroll through 5 sub menus to tell John Bob I am scratching my left ass cheek. I do agree that a muting function would be nice, but I honestly turn off ingame VOIP anyways, anyone I want to hear I will use Skype, TS, or Vent with. As far as Origin running, it takes very little resources (will not crush a computer solely), and Battlelog seemed fine, just needs a bit of polishing since the beta.

I would like to see more soldiers per account, simply because making names for Origin was confusing. I made my grouped EA accunt like 3 years ago, and I constantly tried changing my Persona to 1Kurgan1. It had the option to do it, but everytime I changed it and saved it, I would go back and it was Grevenilvec still. Then Origin came out and grabbed my name that it never let me change, and they say you should have changed it (but you couldn't).
    DannibusX says thanks.
  6. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Then buy it for the 360.

Personally, I'm fine with no in game server browser or VoiP.

Of course I can compare it to a sports title. It takes babysteps in advances and is released as a new game year after year. Essentially the Madden series is a yearly roster update with slight graphics and animation improvements from year to year. Sure, they've added features and removed others, but nothing that would justify spending $60-$70 on a whole new game. I do see your point though.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
    1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  7. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Well you can compare anything, but Sports game has always been yearly, and they haven't tanked because of it, because their fan base is fine with that function. Look at Tony Hawk, look at guitar Hero, they tanked eventually because of it, meaning their fanbase doesn't feel the same about it as the Sports Franchises that have been going since the early 90's (2 more years and EA's NFL Franchise is 20). Thats why I say you just can't compare them, COD is already starting to tank, 1 or 2 more titles and it will probably be done for. I do agree on the sports games though, I don't buy them every year, but I did buy NHL 12 and I am having fun. But I got a few friends that buy them every year and play the crap out of them, and they don't mind one bit.
  8. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    Command rose isn't a hard concept to use. Also, even if it was available you still would be using Q to spot. So I don't see you making a point there. Q is the same with or without a command rose. People simply want more then just Q. And how do they communicate with team mates with TS, etc if they aren't even on the same server. People aren't going to jump from one sever to another just because someone on TS is playing somewhere. And I don't see people wanting to create new channels and shuffle players every round just to communicate.

It's really not about "just buy it..." it's about the gaping difference for what you get at the same price point between platforms. With a console it's just the tradition setup. A setup one should also have on PC. As for voip even steam offers that feature and you don't need to alt-tab to a web browser to do it.

So in the end we get it, you don't care. But there are others who do.
  9. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Uh, excuse me. Mark it zero. Next frame.
    DannibusX says thanks.
  10. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    It's a subscription fee, essentially. Buy the new game because everyone else is, plus we're gonna shut down the servers for that particular version pretty soon anyways. I stopped buying Madden years ago, but I still entertain the thought of grabbing a copy from time to time.

I can't wait for CoD to die off. It's a shame too, because it was a lot of fun until they flooded the market with it.

Dude, I wasn't over the line. Mark it down 8.
  11. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I yell! "OVER THE LINE!"
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Have you ever played online games recently, people now days just aren't the same as BF2 days. I can be standing right in the ear hole of an Assault guy spamming Q and screaming GIVE ME SOME AMMO right in his face numerous times, yet nothing.... Comma rose isn't needed, Q on a point to tell people to get there, Q on a vehicle to say you need a ride or to repair, Q on a troop to say you need ammo/health. You do see the point, you just disagree. But Comma rose always was clunky, and people don't pay attention to others screaming in their ear, comma rose is one of the things I hated the most about BF2. You don't need it, map awareness to see when to retreat, and Q is more than enough to make up for it.

As far as people wanting more than just Q. People want BF2, then go play it, it's half a decade later, move on :laugh: Sick of hearing "this was in BF2, this was, I want this from BF2" It's an old game, it had it's time, I liked 1942 DC mod and BC2 more. And I will judge BF3 on it's own merits, not on unnecessary features it doesn't have that a half a decade old game had that were slowly and clunky even back then. I prefer to do my command on the move.

It's kind of like that now, but those sports franchises went for over a decade before having online support and they managed just fine in sales.

I personally never enjoyed COD, but I hear many say 2 and 4 were great. But thats because they were different. Even using the same platform they have been using, they could make it great, but it just seems they figure new maps are better than more features.
  13. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    So you are implying that people on the PC don't like communicating but people on the console do. That's simply not true. Based on your reply it's clear that you were unaware that BC2's voip was originally working at release but was disabled after patching. So the concept of voip in game was in their last fps game until it was removed.

It has nothing to do with BF2. Did you know that steam offers voip service? It's nothing new but perhaps you were not aware of it. The idea is if we are going to play a team oriented FPS there need to be a way to communicate. There are 2 ways of doing that by voip and command rose. If this was MW3 it's not so much of a big deal but at least the option is there. :p
    MT Alex says thanks.
  14. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:

I don't think he is saying that at all. He uses TS as do a lot of other players from TPU which makes a lot of the bitching just pointless. Certainly makes communicating a lot easier.
    1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  15. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    This isn't Nam Smoky. There are rules.
  16. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I just want my bleepin' carpet man...
  18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Its the principle of it Donny.
  19. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    That rug really tied the room together.

Shut the f*ck up, Donny.
    digibucc says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    why am i always out of my element......
    MT Alex and digibucc say thanks.
  21. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Maude: What do you do for fun?
    Dude: Oh, you know, the usual. Bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.

*another*

Hot damn, I'm throwin' rocks tonight! Mark it, Dude.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    This is what happens when you F#K a stanger in the ASS!
  23. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Are you ready...?

Let me tell you...I'll see you tonight...on the battlefield.
  24. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    This is a very complicated case, Maude. You know, a lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-you's.
    And, uh, lotta strands to keep in my head, man. Lotta strands in old Duder's head.
    Luckily I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug regimen to keep my mind limber.

all the quotes made me start watching it again today :)
    MT Alex says thanks.
  25. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    Peeps, its 42 USD at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005Q47M56/?tag=tec06d-20

Quick question though, if someone would buy this for me would i have issues playing since im not from the US?

Ok i can, just saw at the amazon page, it will link to origin. Can someone get this for me? I will paypal the value xD
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2011