1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Borderlands 2 PhysX video

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Crap Daddy, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Fluffmeister

Fluffmeister

Thanks Received:
    To be fair I wasn't addressing your point, just the perceived evils of nVidia.

As for your point, I haven't played Borderlands 2 yet so I can't comment.

2. Recus

Recus

Thanks Received:
    Don't forget hall of Havok titles are only for consoles. :p

3. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    Yea anyway no hard feelings it been fun, trolling PhysX threads and discussing its relevance never really gets old :toast:

as for Recus not quiet Havok is still extremely popular

PC wise lol altho i get what your saying it tends to be more console focused these days with PC titles tending to use more and more custom setups

but more up to date titles off the top of my head
    Kingdoms Of Amalur Reckoning
    Binary Domain
    Saints Row The Third
    Battlefield 3
    The Witcher 2
    Portal 2
    StarCraft II
    Stronghold 3
    LA Noire

those are the most recent ones but more and more companies are making their own custom Physics engines

Blizzard comes to mind with Diablo III they started with Havok but moved to a custom engine.

4. Fluffmeister

Fluffmeister

Thanks Received:
    It's all cool fella, You make your purchase like you make your bed, then you lie in it and enjoy Borderlands 2 with the eye candy on. ;)

5. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    yea got the 7970 as i didnt want to wait on NVIDIA and the 3GB frame buffer was neccesary for 3D modeling work i do, but NVIDIA is still better supported in that regard just could wait any longer the 6670 i had as a back up was SOOOO SLOW lol. That and the GeForce cards are seriously crippled in some regards... wish nvidia would launch GK110 already damn it then i could at least have top tier performance AND get the proper vram amount and floating point etc performance. but Oh well it will come eventually then ill switch. But most for 3D apps not games. If NVIDIA would just push out PhysX across the board GPU wise to AMD make it agnostic via open CL something we could see a very nice increase in graphical fidelity through better Physics in general sadly will never happen. Mostly im just frustrated that the tech is here its possible but its going nowhere fast.

That said I wont be buying Borderlands 2 :toast: not my kind of game really well maybe it is i didnt care much for the first one but thats do to broken mechanics weapons etc and the feel of it just felt awkward for the tasks quests whatever.

6. Recus

Recus

Thanks Received:
    But Havok games can't swank richer stuff unlike GPU accelerated Physx. Most of them has same physics, ragdoll...

7. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    yea and thats about all Software PhysX is your late the thread and the argument im done here

in software mode almost all Physics engines accomplish the same thing there isnt much of a different between PhysX or Havok only time you see a huge difference is GPU wise on PC and again 28 games of which 5 were pretty damn amazing as i said earlier. Granted doesnt have to be that way open CL from NVIDIA would open the way to far more amazing things on PC but just wont happen.

Time to eat friggin starving thinking BBQ bacon royal cheese burger with onion rings mmmmmm

8. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    bear in mind its a ATI Graphics Engine with a Nvidia Physics Engine, is the configuration i was getting at less the newer lower model boards can handle physics, Example a GF 550

9. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    No they weren't, when left to the CPU alone the smoke and debris was next to none existant, and there were no cloth effect. The jackets people wore were completely rigid when hardware accelerated PhysX was off, their legs would go right through them when they walked, they flowed naturally when hardware accelerated PhysX was turned on.

No no no, as I've already said. Show me a game with interactive cloth physics running on the CPU. Show me a game with large amounts of volumetric debris running on the CPU. Show me a game with large amounts of volumetric smoke running on the CPU.

They aren't purposefully holding back software PhysX, that is just what it is capable of when running on the CPU, that is what every engine is capable of when running on the CPU.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  10. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This!

Only less angry.

You could change a few config files and get it all running on the cpu.

On my old 1055t at 3.6 I could handle medium phsyx.

11. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    okay so whats this then?
    http://physxinfo.com/news/3628/mafia-ii-demo-tweaking-physx-performance/

again it can be done CPU side and still looks better than Borderlands 2 in that regard i averager about 40-50 fps with PhysX on medium with NPC cloth off aka Vito and a few key NPCs i leave it on along with all other effects. and thats using the benchmark real time in game High can be used as thats what i completed the game on.

12. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    The video is fine, you need to buy a special card from Nvidia to watch it.

pantherx12 says thanks.
  13. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Read the sources from the article again, without a dedicated card the cloth is done on the CPU, and the performance is absolutely horrible, hence the entire article you linked to is about minimizing the cloth effects to improve performance. With a dedicated card the cloth is rendered on the GPU and the performance issues go away. Why the developers of the game chose to do this, I don't know, since a single GPU is powerful enough to render the cloth.

14. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:

They done it to cripple CPU performance :laugh:

Simply by adding a draw distance or similar solution to simulations would of sorted these problems, people that you couldn't even see properly would still have simulated clothing lol

15. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    NHKS says thanks.
  16. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    I think that is part of the Low/Med/High PhysX settings. The lower the setting, the less people have realistic cloth.

17. Am*

Am*

Thanks Received:
    FOR FUCK'S SAKE...so I expect this is going to be a stuttering-fest just like Arkham City on anything above the "PhysX off" setting, unless you buy Nshittia's top of the range single card or add 150W+ to your power consumption with a last gen card for PhysX? To see some debris and cloth effects :wtf:...

Probably going to avoid this game until the Steam sales hit at 80% off (or if I get it free). Not worth the hassle now with this bullshit.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  18. Recus

Recus

Thanks Received:
    Here comes raped kid. [​IMG]

19. Am*

Am*

Thanks Received:
  20. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    Guys, why not just pick up an older 8xxx/9xxx/2xx/4xx/5xx series card and use the hacked driver?
    I've been using a GTS250(a bit overkill but I got it for a great price) for a long time now for this exact reason. When i played through Mirror's edge the first time, it didn't really leave a lasting impression. Just for kicks I replayed through it after getting the 250 and was floored. Since then I've tried many titles(as many as I can find) with PhysX off, on software mode, and on Hardware mode. Metro 2033, Borderlands, both Batman: Arkham games, Sacred 2, and UT3. All of them have significantly more eye-candy when PhysX is enabled, and although at first I thought it was just to look good, after playing with it enabled then disabling it again, I just can't go back to not using it. It almost adds another level of immersion into the experience, and I consistently found myself enjoying the game more with PhysX enabled.

I do agree it's BS that the Nvidiots keep PhysX locked down to their own hardware, but there is a simple workaround if you're willing to put the effort in, and it doesn't take a powerful dedicated card to run PhysX with great results. Some of the cards on the list can be had for under $40, even less if buying second-hand. An 8600 or 9600 card is more than enough to run PhysX in all it's glory.

21. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    So the effects aren't worth the performance penalty, but it is unthinkable to just turn them off? That makes a lot of sense.:rolleyes:

22. Recus

Recus

Thanks Received:
  23. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received: