• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dump GN

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Is it just me or is this thread taking one step forward and one step backwards again?

I dont want to join a tpu facepunch website, why should i be forced to join a site like that?
If i wanted lolz there are plenty of sites i can join, as i said facepunch or similar site (note i am not a facepunch member i just know of it)

Its not up to you what people post in general nonesense section, its a free sub forum. The only as you call it FACEBOOK like thread is the thread i made "what are you doing just now" and that "What are you listening to right now?", okay there are a few what happened to someone or general news like Michael Jacksons death or some type of catastrphe or general news.

NOBODY made a fuss about gamepowerup now its a giant fuss about GN, gamepowerup made more sense than GN but it wasnt like joystiq or ign it needed more content but it never had the user base to justify the content or create the content. Thats another story tho.

Next it will be PC Powerup because that is what i get the feeling everyone wants.

Re-name it Miscellaneous, General Subjects, General Talk, Random Chat or whatever else people can think of becasue clearly it isnt being used for lolz anymore there is a whole lolz forum, there is a distinct difference between being forced to join a lolz forum and wanting to post something general.

Dont give me any of the your to serious bullshit get it sorted out because its came up a few times before and it needs sorted.

Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything MilkyWay, where do you get that idea?

GamePowerUp was never launched btw. It's on hold now though, not sure if the boss has any future plans with it. Either way it was meant as a full site with a frontpage, reviews, news, etc. GN is nothing like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
I dont want to join a tpu facepunch website, why should i be forced to join a site like that?
If i wanted lolz there are plenty of sites i can join, as i said facepunch or similar site (note i am not a facepunch member i just know of it)

Its not up to you what people post in general nonesense section, its a free sub forum. The only as you call it FACEBOOK like thread is the thread i made "what are you doing just now" and that "What are you listening to right now?", okay there are a few what happened to someone or general news like Michael Jacksons death or some type of catastrphe or general news.

NOBODY made a fuss about gamepowerup now its a giant fuss about GN, gamepowerup made more sense than GN but it wasnt like joystiq or ign it needed more content but it never had the user base to justify the content or create the content. Thats another story tho.

Next it will be PC Powerup because that is what i get the feeling everyone wants.

Re-name it Miscellaneous, General Subjects, General Talk, Random Chat or whatever else people can think of becasue clearly it isnt being used for lolz anymore there is a whole lolz forum, there is a distinct difference between being forced to join a lolz forum and wanting to post something general.

Dont give me any of the your to serious bullshit get it sorted out because its came up a few times before and it needs sorted.

So um your upset nobody made a fuss about GPU and someone is forcing you to join a site you don't want to? I'm confused.

All I'm saying is W1zz made a site dedicated to GENERAL NONSENSE and we are still talking about non-tech related things here on TPU. I think its pretty obvious what W1zz wants this site to be. Its a really cool thing he did making another site for GN. Its time we adjust to this. All I'm suggesting is we change the rules and title of GN here on TPU to reflect the purpose of the site. It will also help promote the new GN site. What the hell is so hard to understand.

System Name The Dove Box Rev 3.0
Processor i7 8700k @ 4.7GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus X APEX
Cooling Custom water loop
Memory 16GB 3600 MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) 2x MSI 780 Ti's in SLI
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 PCIe SSD, 4TB
Display(s) 27" Asus 144Hz
Case Enermax Fulmo GT
Audio Device(s) ON BOARD FTW
Power Supply Corsair 1200W
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Win 10 64x
I think a rename to "Miscellaneous" would work and have it be for the "nonsense" technology stuff or something that doesn't fit anywhere else. Everything else nonsense can go to generalnonsense.net. I see no difference in having a general nonsense forum on TPU or a link to gn.net that takes you directly to that site.

+1 Miscellaneous would direct the posts that dont have a specific home and detour any Nonsense in general. :p

hat

Enthusiast
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Benchmark Scores >9000
I think we should just shoot generalnonsense.net through the head since GN here on TPU itself is still being used just like it was before. GN at TPU won't change without heavy moderation.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
System Name JIM LAHEY
Processor CORE I9 9900K
Motherboard ASROCK Z390 TAICHI
Cooling COUGAR HELOR 360 AIO
Memory 32GB TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 ULTRA
Storage SAMSUNG EVO 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG STRIX 4K UG27UQR
Case THERMALTAKE VIEW 37
Audio Device(s) STEELSERIES ARCTIS 7 WIRELESS
Power Supply EVGA SUPERNOVA G+ 1000
Mouse STEELSERIES RIVAL 600
Keyboard STEELSERIES APEX 7 TKL
Software WINDOWS 10 ENTERPRISE
Benchmark Scores WUT
I really don't understand some of you guys. If wizzard handed some of you a million bucks you would find something to complain about. It's a forum big deal one click away I know that's hard for some of you. There is always a couple members I always see complaining about something. Be happy with what you have it's a free forum.

System Name TheReactor / HTPC
Processor AMD 7800x3d 5050Mhz / Intel 10700kf (5.1ghz All Core)
Motherboard ASrock x670e Taichi / ROG Strix z490-e gaming
Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz DDR5 / 32GB G.Skill 3400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3090ti / Nvidia 2080ti
Storage Crucial T700 2TB Gen 5 / Samsung Evo 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Predator xb271hu - 2560x1440 @144hz
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Antec Quattro 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair Gaming k70
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Everything is one click away on the internet. Including XtremeSystems, [H], TomsHardware...they are all just "1 click away"...Obviously I am here and not at the latter sites and I like TPU way more then any other Tech site...My point is valid. The right thing to do would to have never had a GN section. Except we do have one, We do use it, We do like it, and for the most part we don't want to leave this site to go to another one, regardless of how many clicks away it is, or how simple it might be. That doesn't matter and isn't relevant in anyway.

Everything is one click away on the internet. Including XtremeSystems, [H], TomsHardware...they are all just "1 click away"...Obviously I am here and not at the latter sites and I like TPU way more then any other Tech site...My point is valid. The right thing to do would to have never had a GN section. Except we do have one, We do use it, We do like it, and for the most part we don't want to leave this site to go to another one, regardless of how many clicks away it is, or how simple it might be. That doesn't matter and isn't relevant in anyway.

How many clicks does it take to go to gn.net from the TPU main forum? One. And how many did it take to go to the old (and still does)? One. Would it make a difference if we'd mask the address bar so it still says techpowerup.com? It's essentially the same, but you have more freedom without mods having to bother too much about it. It's basically the same userbase as well. Just register again once, save password, done.

If there is anything we can do to give it more of a TPU feeling, suggest it. Copy the theme for instance. Perhaps have a choice in themes to make everyone happy.

Some users want to force other users to join GN rather than use old GN. All they do is moan people are using the old GN and should move on. They think that GN doesn't belong on a tech forum. Me i would rather have some new type of sub forum replace old GN, rename it like and give it a new set of rules.

Id rather Wizzard came and sorted this out its his forums either remove old GN from TPU and forced anyone who would use it move to GN or change the name so its not GN anymore and have no silly LOLZ topics allowed. He dosnt have to but it might solve the problem and stop the moaning.

Wiz made the site so that people who wanted crazy picture thread could have it back, people complained about the strict moderation on old GN, feel free to correct this statement if wrong. If he took away old GN i would be forced to use the new site or not make any threads like that because there would be no where else to. I would have to make a choice.

Im pretty sure i was using Gamepowerup a little before so i dont see why it wasnt "launched".

hat

Enthusiast
Benchmark Scores >9000
How many clicks does it take to go to gn.net from the TPU main forum? One. And how many did it take to go to the old (and still does)? One. Would it make a difference if we'd mask the address bar so it still says techpowerup.com? It's essentially the same, but you have more freedom without mods having to bother too much about it. It's basically the same userbase as well. Just register again once, save password, done.

If there is anything we can do to give it more of a TPU feeling, suggest it. Copy the theme for instance. Perhaps have a choice in themes to make everyone happy.

I know the internet is about to explode when I say this... but I agree with Dan on this one.

Some users want to force other users to join GN rather than use old GN. All they do is moan people are using the old GN and should move on. They think that GN doesn't belong on a tech forum. Me i would rather have some new type of sub forum replace old GN, rename it like and give it a new set of rules.

Id rather Wizzard came and sorted this out its his forums either remove old GN from TPU and forced anyone who would use it move to GN or change the name so its not GN anymore and have no silly LOLZ topics allowed. He dosnt have to but it might solve the problem and stop the moaning.

Wiz made the site so that people who wanted crazy picture thread could have it back, people complained about the strict moderation on old GN, feel free to correct this statement if wrong. If he took away old GN i would be forced to use the new site or not make any threads like that because there would be no where else to. I would have to make a choice.

Im pretty sure i was using Gamepowerup a little before so i dont see why it wasnt "launched".

How is gn/net not a subforum here? It's directly reachable from here. Enforcing different rules is far easier in the new situation. I've been against "silly lol topics" as well, against a lot of useless crap actually. Though since there are quite some people who might end up going to work/school with a gun and create a massacre before ending their own lifes if we'd tighten up the rules I suggested the new solution to w1z, he found it a fair idea. We can allow all the crap without making TPU look like some site full of idiots. The crazy picture thread has been used as an example yes, but isn't the reason for it.
Are you saying we should close the old gn to force everyone to post in the same place? We could always have the old around in the current state for a while and make it read only or something.

As for GPU, having a forum application installed isn't the same as launchin a site.
I know the internet is about to explode when I say this... but I agree with Dan on this one.

Omg, hell froze over.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
i like the new GN. At first i thought i wouldn't, but i really do. All the people there are getting to know everybody better than they do on here.

System Name Enslaver :)
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B650-Plus
Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D14 with LED fans, Case: 2 front in - 1 rear out
Memory 2x16GB Kingston Fury Beast RGB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 4070Ti OC
Storage Samsung Evo Plus 1TB NVMe , internal WD Red 4TB for storage, WD Book 8TB
Display(s) LG CX OLED 65"
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II Mesh C Performance
Audio Device(s) HDMI audio powering Dolby Digital audio on 5.1 Z960 speaker system
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard ASUS Strix Tactic Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
I just made the transition to the new site cause i dont want to bother anyone and keep the peace! :)

System Name Becca 2
Processor AMD A10 4600m quad core @ 2.3 ghz
Motherboard dunno
Cooling Logitech alto connect
Memory 16 Gig ddr3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Ati HD 7660G + & 7470M
Storage 1 TB
Audio Device(s) onboard crap
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with sp1
Im actually starting the think that there are a number of ppl here that see gn as below them and while you can think that if you want please dont ruin the fun for us members. Been there from the start and really like it there. I like the fact that its quite relaxed creates a good atmosphere. Dan did a great thing in creating gn as it solved a prob in how to accomadate a number of threads that dont work at TPU wich is great. Gn is still alive here and no one is stopping you guys and gals from posting there just as no one is forcing you to go to the gn site.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
when GN site was made I was happy but now I don't care about it anymore, I think I posted there once and check out the crazypictures every now and then.

System Name TheReactor / HTPC
Processor AMD 7800x3d 5050Mhz / Intel 10700kf (5.1ghz All Core)
Motherboard ASrock x670e Taichi / ROG Strix z490-e gaming
Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz DDR5 / 32GB G.Skill 3400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3090ti / Nvidia 2080ti
Storage Crucial T700 2TB Gen 5 / Samsung Evo 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Predator xb271hu - 2560x1440 @144hz
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Antec Quattro 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair Gaming k70
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Though since there are quite some people who might end up going to work/school with a gun and create a massacre before ending their own lifes if we'd tighten up the rules I suggested the new solution to w1z, he found it a fair idea.

Thank god. I was just writing my final note to my family/co-workers and cleaning my gun. :laugh: *Not actually doing any of those things. For people who take anything posted seriously.

If you are going to change over, then making it as transparent to us as possible is a good thing. Masking the URL is a good step...What would be great is if you can make it so there isn't a secondary user account setup and a secondary login.

Last edited:

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
I think we should just shoot generalnonsense.net through the head since GN here on TPU itself is still being used just like it was before. GN at TPU won't change without heavy moderation.
generalnonsense.net is way better than what is here. People forget TABS on FireFox and IE?

It's not that hard to register....and add it into your favs.....

You have way more freedom over there than here, and if people would just go there. I do think that GN should be here also....BUT in a lot of cases generalnonsense.net is a better place for a lot of things.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
generalnonsense.net is way better than what is here. People forget TABS on FireFox and IE?

It's not that hard to register....and add it into your favs.....

You have way more freedom over there than here, and if people would just go there. I do think that GN should be here also....BUT in a lot of cases generalnonsense.net is a better place for a lot of things.

I 100% agree. Only thing is the GN here on TPU should be for tech related topics only.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator

Dan, my Dutch friend, I agree with you but let me voice my opinion honestly.

When I was modding GPU I did everything I could think of to lure people away from the gaming section of TPU to the GPU site. The response was pathetic at best, even though the information at GPU was more up to date and contained more information that anything in the gaming forum on TPU. Every day, the post count in the TPU gaming forum exceeded GPU's.

I am not sure why this happens, but I see the same thing over at GN.net. I am not sure we can attribute it all to laziness, because as you say, it is still just a click away. Somehow, when the sites are segregated a loss of cohesivness occurs. I am not sure why.

Perhaps it is because when you scroll down on the main page of the forums on the varying sites, you do not see all the people logged in from all the site. I don't think it is a theme thing as people are usually pretty open to a different look for a different page.

Perhaps it is the fact that it is not seamless (if you are a member of TPU, you are automtically a member of the other sites with the same user name?) I understand why W1zz does not do this for security reasons, but maybe that plays a part in user perceptions.

This stumped me over at GPU, and to be honest I don't have an answer, but I would sure like to find one as I really enjoyed posting all the latest gaming news and modding GPU.

Just my 2 cents ... for whatever it's worth.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
That's because out of so many bitchfests about spinning off Games and General Nonsense, I've figured out that some people have a psychological blockade to change of this sort. Some people think a new forum is "alien to TPU", "another site to create login for", "another site to log in to", "not the same set of people", etc., when they tend to forget that these "other forums" are barely a click away when they use the same ID/password, and make it remember your login details, and that it takes the same amount of time to create an account there as creating a lolcat post in the crazy picture thread. Let's see if changing its URL to www.techpowerup.com/generalnonsense helps, because then GN wouldn't remain "another site", but another section of TPU.

Last edited:

hat

Enthusiast
Benchmark Scores >9000
More people would rather just stay on one site, I guess, than to have to visit 3 different sites which are essentially the same thing. I never understood why GPU ever existed in the first place TBH... generalnonsense.net I can feel but it's still not all on one site. It's pretty much the idea of making generalnonsense.net (trying to clean up TPU) just not working (as well as it should). I bet if the general nonsense subforum here at TPU was locked generalnonsense.net would see more traffic.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
"Social networking" was never the objective of TechPowerUp forums. It's a tech-forum. By eventually closing the GN and games forums here the three sites don't remain the "same things".

When GN.net is one click away, the fact that it's "another site" doesn't become important. If you have a "social circle" in TPU, move to GN.net to continue your socializing.