1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gtx 480/570?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Relyt, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Relyt

Relyt

Thanks Received:
    I currently have an EVGA GTX 480 in my machine that I bought on release date. Great card and all but runs really hot unless I'm constantly running the fan at 100% all of the time. From what I've gathered the 570 is the equal but runs cooler. Would this be worth the jump and would people be willing to trade ( is it reasonable?) one for the other? Input would be appreciated!
  2. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Try the cheaper way first: Fixing ventilation in you case. It's a HAF 932, maybe that would be enough to help with temps.
    Relyt says thanks.
  3. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    why not just put watercooling a aftermarked air cooler on it?

nvidia's stock coolers that good for the gtx480, it was a hot card to be running.
    Relyt says thanks.
  4. Relyt

Relyt

Thanks Received:
    I'm an air cooling kind of guy, water cooling is out of my league and not practical for me personally. I actually have the case cooled pretty well. I added higher rpm fans into it the cpu itself runs 24-29c depending on the temp in my room and the overall system temp is around 32-36c. I've also dumped money into the case as far as modding goes and it would be a pitty to just toss it aside now.
  5. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    Here's what you've gotta do:

Remove your 480. Remove the cooler and take off the shroud. Clean it. Get every last little bit of dust out of there. You'll be surprised at how much is actually in there. (Fun Fact, most dust in a house is dead human cells).

Anyway, get yourself some of that cheap white pigeon poop thermal paste. DO NOT use any thick silver paste. Thick silver pastes will actually work as an insulator.
    GPUs' have a mirror finish from what I have seen, and usually stock/reference coolers are machined pretty smooth as well. By using the white thermal paste, you're providing better contact to the GPU and thus improving cooling.
    I did this EXACT thing on 2 of my old 4870's. Before I did that, they idled at 62C and loaded @ 75C (100% fan). After cleaning and reapplying the thermal paste; with the exact same cooling profile, they idled at 48C and loaded @ 62C.

Try that and see if it helps.
    Relyt says thanks.
  6. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    you will not see any benefit from going to a 570... but if you want ill trade you :)

The 570 is a silent card - but they dont tend to OC well due to VRM design - so you will lose a bit of performance if you go with a stock model.
    Relyt says thanks.
  7. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    Relyt says thanks.
  8. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Don't touch 7xxx series crossfire with barge pole. AMD still haven't released proper drivers for the new cards. Plus 77xx crossfire only level with a single 570 (at best).
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_7750_7770_CrossFire/22.html

Wait a month for kepler info, then decide on amd versus nv.
    Relyt says thanks.
  9. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Def. keep the 480. More vram, better vrm. Do what omega said.
    Relyt says thanks.
  10. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    Relyt says thanks.
  11. Relyt

Relyt

Thanks Received:
    I'm not an oc'er by any means. I have no plan/intentions of going to ATI. I'll try pulling the card apart cleaning it out and reapplying thermal paste. I'm assuming Zalman or Coolermaster thermal paste would do the job?
  12. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Relyt says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Relyt

Relyt

Thanks Received:
  14. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Relyt says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    I think you'll be disappointed if you sell your 480 and buy a 570.
    Relyt says thanks.
  16. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    Keep the 480. Disassemble your cooler, clean off the old paste and reapply the thermal paste that you have now. It shouldn't do wonders, but there should be a change of at least a few degrees, maybe not in idle, but definitely at load.
    Second suggestion would be just like other have said, modify the ventilation in your 932. Try and mod the case so that you can place a fan as close as you can in front of the card so that it blows air directly across the card and out towards the back of the case.
    Third suggestion, put some ear muffs on.
    Fourth suggestion...if none of those work, then I would consider getting an aftermarket cooler or a different card.
    Relyt says thanks.
  17. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    I think he will be disappointed if he does a clean trade. I regret not having bought the 480 refurb for $270 when I had the chance.
    Relyt says thanks.
  18. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    NVidia GPUs us a heatspreader, they are more like CPUs than the traditional GPU with the core exposed. So that advice isn't really that accurate.

So use any paste that is good. I replaced the stock stuff on my GTX470 with Arctic Silver Alumina and it took about 10°C off temps.
    Relyt says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  19. Relyt

Relyt

Thanks Received:
    Reapplied the thermal grease and cleaned out the heat spreaders. With the fan at 100% it's sitting at 38c right now, haven't checked load temps yet. I was looking into an aftermarket cooler and a lot of people are recommending the Zalman VF3000F. Just not sure if I really want that hideous green in my black and red case lol

ZALMAN VF3000F(GTX580/570) EBR Bearing Dual 92mm F...
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  20. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    There are just 4 screws holding on the green shoud. Pull it off and spray paint it black.;)

But really, who cares how hot it runs. 38°C idle is more than fine for a GTX480, hell I have my fan profile set to let my GTX470s idle at 45-55°C.
    Relyt says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  21. Relyt

Relyt

Thanks Received:
  22. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    Where do you live? How warm is your room?
    Relyt says thanks.
  23. Relyt

Relyt

Thanks Received:
    I live in Sherman Oaks, California. My room temp varies depending on the season and time of day. For the most part the system runs cool. I just ripped the 480 apart today and cleaned it up and applied new thermal grease to it which did help. With the fan at 100% it runs from 37-47c at idle and it was anywhere from 74-79c at load in Battlefield 3. I'm not an oc'er I just built the rig simply to run as cool and fast as possible on air cooling. Thanks to everyone's help here in the TPU forums I've resolved a lot of issues and the system is pretty much stable. I'm being really picky and I'm either going to put an AM VGA cooler on the blasted thing or find a clean trade for a 570. From what I understand they're pretty much the same card but the 570 runs cooler and a lot more silent. I was looking at the Zalman VF3000F but I decided against it due to the green lights as they don't mesh well with all the red I have going in the case, so unless anyone else had some input I was probably going with the Arctic Cooler or a 570 if I can find a trade.
  24. Relyt

Relyt

Thanks Received:

[​IMG]
  25. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    You need to go to settings and tick "Unlock voltage control" to see the default load voltage.
    Relyt says thanks.