1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help for a watercooling noob plz

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Krony, Jan 14, 2011.

1. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    hi just catchin up wiv yall id go for the top and back twin 240 rads if i were you as ive found the internal case temps rise a lot, if your pullin air out the case it will run cooler and quiter and a fact often forgot is that they still pull air in and thru the case due to the vacum they create behind them, thats why il be changing mine tho blocks on my mobo might sort my issues yet either way the plans are comin on.:toast:

More than 25k PPD
  2. Krony

Krony New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can't fit them both there unless the back one is external and i was trying my best to keep everything internal. I can add a side door fan back into the equasion with this new setup as the Prolimatech Mega wont be in the way.

3. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    side fan is a good plan, did you decide on the mobo blocks yet cos it wont matter if you get them so much

More than 25k PPD
  4. Krony

Krony New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well i can't find a specific block that says it fits on the Sabertooth X58 so i was gonna leave the mobo for now.

5. Krony

Krony New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was waiting for the Swiftech cpu block to come in stock as with the Scythe fans, they are preorderable now and they get them at the end of next week, but now the EK gpu block is out of stock lol, so i have swopped it for the Koolance and ordered/preordered everything.
    Should get most of it next week so ill be making a start on getting the rads to fit in my case.

6. Krony

Krony New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well the gear all arrived and it all looks to be in perfect condition, however, the fittings look to me to be 1/2" ID not the 3/8" ID i ordered, maybe i am a noob but they look far too big to get my tubing on, how tight should compression fittings be ? as even if i was to warm the tubing up with hot water it looks like it will be pretty tricky to get it to fit these, the widest part of the fitting where the tubing should go measures about 12mm which to me looks like they are 1/2" ID fittings, any help would be appreciated as it's looking like i am going to have to send either the fittings back or the tubing.

[​IMG]

7. zhadlp

zhadlp New Member

Thanks Received:
    from the looks of things you might be right, if it still wouldn't fit after you dip it in warm water, then I doubt that you have the correct tubing/fitting...

Krony says thanks.
  8. Krony

Krony New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not actually tried yet as i have alot of planning to do to fit the the rads and this is the only pc i have to use atm so wanted to get everything planned out before i break the pc down :p but they just seem the wrong size.

9. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    Gigabyte X58 UD5

I got my NB/SB and mofset heat sinks today. Well I guess that I have the "wrong" version since the mofset coolers were no way close to fit. That’s not my concern. My question is - is there a correct way (in/out) to connect the NB/SB heat sink? I run without a reservoir and I still have some air in my line but I also have a vertex in what I use as outlet of that heat sink. That might get invisible once I get the system bleeded but the flow pattern will most likely be the same...did I connect the hoses wrong?

Yeah I know the hose between the CPU and the SB is bend too much.

[​IMG]

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  10. Krony

Krony New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am new to this and i choose (maybe a bad choice idk) to not watercool the motherboard just yet so i can't really help u, as for the cpu-sb hose u might wanna look at some 45 degree fittings angled away from eachother to create a more natural arc, the hose will need to be a litle longer also but shouldn't interfere with anyhting else.

mstenholm says thanks.
  11. zhadlp

zhadlp New Member

Thanks Received:
    what tubing are you using, I noticed it kinks easily, put some some zip ties in that area to lessen the kinks.

as for your sb/nb block, there should be no "correct" in and out ports, works fine either way, as long as there's no label for IN and OUT...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
    mstenholm says thanks.
  12. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    Tried it but not much improvement. I have cut a longer hose and will replace it later today. Thx for tip anyway.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  13. Krony

Krony New Member

Thanks Received:
    Some pics af the modded case and cpu and gpu blocks fitted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PopcornMachine says thanks.
  14. Krony

Krony New Member

Thanks Received:
    Some updates, still need to drill the holes bigger to get them to align up to fit the top push rear fan.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I know the pics are not great, it's not my day job :p

15. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    looks nice so far

Krony says thanks.
  16. Reefer86

Reefer86

Thanks Received:
    over kill much LOL

17. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    its worse now running another 240mm rad in there

18. Krony

Krony New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not the best pics in the world and i still have to do some sheathing on the cables, will leak test it tomorrow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    I'm really jealous of the way you mounted your rads. I think they are fantastic. I would, however, change the fitting on the "in" side of your gpu, so the tube could enter from the top, and move the "in" closest to the back rad, that way the out could be right over the res. It would take a lot of inches off your loop for efficentcy, and look much cleaner. That's a dang funny looking long curved hose. All in all, though, nice work:toast:

Krony says thanks.
  20. Krony

Krony New Member

Thanks Received:
    The fittings won't go on the top with the backplate on the card, i tried this first, i'll see how it goes and i can always try modding the backplate to allow fitting at a later date.

21. Krony

Krony New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cpu idle's about 10c lower at 38c and load is about 20c lower at 70c in prime95
    Gpu idle's about 10c lower at 28c and load is about half with it pretty much staying below 40c
    Highest it has been was a failed Heaven 2.1 run which had an artifact close to the end and was a pretty bad score on 960|1900|2050 @ 1.143v (max E-Leet will allow) was 45c, best run so far was 950|1900|2050 @ 1.138v and that hit 42c
    All in all it wasn't cheap but it got the job done, the main issue i had was the high cpu temps, the gpu i wasn't really bothered about but i am really glad i added it into the loop to, ill post some more pics when i get the cables sheathed and finish a few little details.