1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Higher high speed internet overrated/unnecessary?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by a_ump, Aug 19, 2014.

1. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    I was pondering earlier today about what internet speed i should get as i'm about to move. Its from suddenlink and speeds offered at 15, 30, and 50mbps down at $35/$45/$55 per month. I got to thinking, why do we have such outrageous internet speeds now? I remember about 8-10 years ago when i was 13-17 years old that having 2mbps down was AWESOME! and then at 16 i threw in 20 more bucks to get the newly available 10mbps down. I don't remember any issues watching online tv, playing games, etc.

So i'm curious have gaming and general internet usage requirements really jumped that greatly in the last 6 years? Because i get the feeling that its simply advertisement BS that really doesn't apply usefully in practice. The only use i can think of for higher internet speeds is for torrents.

Anyone else understand where i'm coming from?

EDIT 1: and to add to it, router ratings are bit of BS imo also. need to have Wifi-N600 for "good" gaming but N900 for "great" gaming. Hell i gamed on wgr54 linksys as i am sure many of you did with no problem. I must be missing something lol

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  2. XSI

XSI

Thanks Received:
    first i'm sorry you have such high prices for low speeds. i pay 15$ for 100/100Mbps for 25$ we can have 500/500mbps or even 1Gbps. ~30$.for my needs 100/100 is ok. 7GB file download in 10-12minutes. if you going for 40-50GB files takes about 2hours. (would love to have it faster) of course for browsing or even youtube 1080p videos its absolutely enough, for gaming bandwith is good but ping just about average.don't forget 4K videos is coming.like everything it depends on your needs.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't change it unless it changes the upload. Then again, there's a whole lot of stuff I would like to be hosting but can't because of my pathetic upload.

@XSI: telecommunications in the USA is a sham.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    And you cannot comprehend how much pleasure that gives me.

Anyway 10 is felt. 20something you usually don't notice until you're downloading lots of stuff (and gets used to stream HD videos all the time). What has pushed it is video and piracy, and digital releases of games. If you're streaming HD video you will want speed, especially if you happen to live in a household where several people stream HD movies at the same time.

I'm not into routers, but the "gaming" thing I think is having a gigabit router built in, and being dual band and having some QoS-stuff to give "gaming" traffic or whatever a higher priority. If it's only you and your mom you'll be fine with basically anything (but stay away from the cheapest stuff, they're usually crap).

a_ump says thanks.
  5. RandomSadness

RandomSadness

Thanks Received:
    I really hope I could have a better internet connection. Here in my area, there's poor DSL , I barely can reach 6Mps. 8 - 10 years ago , I was at 56Kbps. Fiber optic infrastructures are currently being deployed , can't wait for them to be available.

6. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    IMO, if you are currently happy there is no need to change. I am happy with my 15 down for 50 a month.

7. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Less than 15 isn't fast enough for decent HD content, modern compression is helping, but higher is needed still.

Why more/faster? Windows used to come on floppy disks, games used to come on a single CD-ROM. Now we have updates for games as large as games used to be (shame EA!!!), skype, online libraries, and many other things that require more bandwidth.

a_ump says thanks.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  8. alwayssts

alwayssts

Thanks Received:
    This....this made me cry a little.

I share a lot of OP's price/speed lineage, including the trusty wrt54g and gs.

Around my neck of the woods it's around $60 for 60/10mbps, $80 for 100/10, $100 for 200/20. Pricing has stayed relatively similar, but speeds have increased on a steady trajectory over the years, with a clear eye on (slow tapering us up, to maximize publicity until) the 2020 goal (which is 'affordable' 1Gbps available to everyone in the US.) Yeah, the US infrastructure does comparably suck...as FGT90C alluded to, almost every single market is a monopoly. It's a joke. I think many of them get by because sure, dsl/phone companies are 'competition' to cable companies, but are they really?

As for speed, I think there are many things to consider. Sure, there are 'questionable' things you can do with it, but also, how many people/devices will be using it? Depending on compression quality/frame rate, a 4k stream could eat a 20-50Mbps itself, and I don't think that's that far off. That can add up in some peoples' cases, in others not so much.

I think it's simply important to remember how we have scaled from web 1.0/beyond in both devices and bandwidth per device; use cases (obviously and usually) scales slightly behind the speed curve for practicality reasons, and there are many things that have happened, and have yet to happen. Just as going from text/pictures to flash/480p divx etc video, to 720p flash (which is still most common), to 1080p mp4, to 48/60fps, to 4k and beyond (with ever-more increasing bitrates, especially for streaming) has/is occurring, in games we went from 2-4 player matches where often the speed was relatively inconsequential to often twitch instances involving huge amounts of people and a better ping is crucial. Instead of 'the' computer, many people have multiple computers, including phones, tablets and tvs splitting that connection. Next month maybe your rich relative will add a refrigerator to self-order milk, in a few years that may be you.

It all matters where you lie on the curve of usage compared to the technology/content available, and what's good-enough to justify that cost.

XSI says thanks.
  9. Toothless

Toothless

Thanks Received:
    Do you feel as if you need a faster connection?

Yes? Are you willing to pay for it? No? Then don't worry about it.
    I
    Yes? Then pay more for a faster connection.
    No? Then just because you can't pay for a faster connection doesn't mean you'll be left behind. I know of some good ISPs that offer cheap but decent connections.

I
    So you paid extra, are you happy?

Is it worth it in the end is all you need to ask yourself.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    And it moves fast! I have apps on my phone that must have at least quadrupled in size the last year. "minor buggfixes" 15MB? [​IMG]

xvi says thanks.
  11. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    thanks for all tye input! all we(me, wife, 1yr old) use it for is netflix hd, general browsing and myself gaming online. i recon the 35mbps should fit the bill. after all i pay 100 now for phone+15mbps adsl2+.

I'm also going to purchase a motorola sb6121 modem and tp link tl-wr1043nd router. i read a few places that seperate can be better than an all in one gateway.

12. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    We still have a PS2, and I have played GTA3 on higher settings on my phone than it can provide, and yes, the game is huge.

Also, I downloaded five albums on a plane while waiting to taxi from the gate after my microSD decided to take shit on me and I lost all my music, so my options were burn through high speed data or have a conversation with the old lady i was sitting next to. I am not interested in knowing about her gay grandson, her birds, and zucchini that she doesn't know what to do with for the 54th year in a row.

So a good connection saved me.

I have 30X5 and it works great, steam games update quickly, Netflix is all HD content and I can still download and work while using netflix with no issues.

manofthem says thanks.
  13. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    For reference, SimCity 2000 came on one CD and it was ~25 MiB.

Frick says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I used to play Civ II and drink coffee into the late hours of the night.

15. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    I'm paying 70/mo for 50/3 :( *le sigh* You lithuanian's are so freakin lucky to have such high speeds for cheap like that. :(

16. XSI

XSI

Thanks Received:
    trust me guys i've started with 33,6kbps dial-up. 1MB costed few $. later we got deals like 0:00-06 AM free download for 10$ month. i was sleeping 2-4 hours for whole month to download my music, because i got a lot of disconnects and speeds were 1,5-3,8KB/s. 70MB mix was downloaded in 1 night. movie hm...yeah sure would take 8days or more. so i know what a slow internet is! we had a very quick speed up from 2mbps--10--20---50--300--1Gbit in just few years most of the city(capital) has optic fibre

p.s i dont even have a shower at home

17. P4-630

P4-630

Thanks Received:
    We are paying 43 Euros/Month for 50/50 fiber internet, tv, and home phone.

18. m0nt3

Thanks Received:
    I am paying $69.99 (after taxes) for 20/2 and it didn't even come with lube!, 50/5 would cost me $89.99, thanks time warner!

19. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    i pay like $54 a month for 40/40mbit fiber and i do like 45~50mbit both ways with my Asus RT-N56U Router.

20. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Piracy. It's the number one reason for your average consumer to require high download speeds.
    Second source would be legitimate high content downloads, such as game clients through steam.
    The third (which is considerably far behind) is retail to home services, like streaming video.

At this stage, a strong 20mb downlink with an actual downstream of 15mb is plenty.
    But hey, bigger is better, faster is better right! :0

21. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    20Mb/2Mb: Kids are watching Netflix or they're both on their tablets. Wife and I are gaming (MMO) and there's possibly a Hulu show playing. Worst case scenario is there's an update and we're both downloading, though that doesn't hamper other activities all that much (and I haven't even bothered with QoS).

However, we are thinking about jumping to 90/10, for the 10Mb. Been meaning for the longest time to cancel my webhost and just host from home.

22. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Few months ago I went from 3/.768 mb DSL to 60/5 mb cable. While I didn't have any issues gaming while someone else was browsing the web on the DSL, I can say the connection speed increase is very nice, especially when DLing large files. I did have to get a wireless AC compliant router, but that wasn't too expensive.

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Exceededgoku

Thanks Received:
    Poor you!

I have 2MB internet and it's NOT possible to get any higher.

Only solution is to pay for a leased line, at £50,000 (~80,000$) then £1200.00 (2000$) per month line rental (I don't own it...).

Sucks ass, I can't watch HD youtube. And well you can imagine the quality of digital downloads and online gaming for me. I gave up trying to play BF4 online due to lag and latency. Just not possible to be competitive.

Shame of it all is that I use a VERY powerful pfSense router that could easily handle a couple of gigabit internet speeds/transfers and a gaming PC with 6xSSDs in RAID0.

24. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    3 types of dsl-atm-dsl,ipdsl,vdsl

25. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    It's a shame that often only commercial premises and businesses can have a similar down/up ratio. I wonder if they do it just to force regular consumers to buy into more expensive packages. But surely the overhead and network resources for a 20/20 is easier for them to maintain than one that's 90/10?