• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How To: Enable SLI on pre-i7/i5 hardware

urbturb

System Name pooter
Processor Intel E8400 @ 4GHz
Motherboard Gygabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Memory 2 x 4gb G.SKILL DDR2 800
Video Card(s) 2 x GeForce GTX 280
Storage Intel X25-M 80gb SSD
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC60BPLUSII
Power Supply Silverstone ST75F 750W
Software Windows 7 x64
I found bug. Download 1.5 version again. It's amazing that it never happened before.

The error message is different now. It says "your computer is need to reboot."

I have tried rebooting and still receive the same error message.

urbturb

System Name pooter
Processor Intel E8400 @ 4GHz
Motherboard Gygabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Memory 2 x 4gb G.SKILL DDR2 800
Video Card(s) 2 x GeForce GTX 280
Storage Intel X25-M 80gb SSD
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC60BPLUSII
Power Supply Silverstone ST75F 750W
Software Windows 7 x64
I went back into the windows recovery environment and ran the bootrec.exe /fixmbr and /fixboot from the cmd prompt. Then I was able to install and I am now running in SLI mode.

Thank you anatolymik!!! :D

soundood

well guys, i think the time has come for me to give up the SLI patch ghost, i have just taken delivery of a Asus M5A99X EVO, to get ready for bulldozer, this board of course is the first AMD chipset board to support SLI, and does not need patching, so far i am really happy with it.

but although i wont be patching, i will still follow the thread to offer any help i can, but i would just like to say it has been a wonderfull couple of years here, the excitment at making this work and being part of the early team of testers was a real honour. :toast:

Finaly of course i would like to thank TiN, Sveetsnelda, and of course Anatolymik :respect: for all the work that has been put in here, but also for the real feeling of 'team Spirit' from people's from all over the globe, just willing to help, for nothing other than the fact they could.

and i suppose we all forget that TPU forums allowed this thread to survive for so long, without warnings or intervention, truly one of the last forums to be so understanding.

throughout the time here i have managed to enable SLI on around 20 motherboards,(AMD/Intel)(My Own/Friends) so again thanks to everyone for that :rockout:

take care friends, this is not a goodbye, just a 'till next time' ;)

dlerch

Bios issue?

maybe this is a total newb question, but does sli patch 1.5 modify my bios? I'm running the p5q pro turbo and i got sli working a few days ago. Though my ram just came in and I upgraded from 4 gigs to 8 gigs.

Now my comp crashes regularly. The RAM matches, same CL timing, etc.

Now the solution to this ram issue is to flash the bios. But f I do that will it affect the SLI patch?

Processor Intel i7 7700k @4.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus Strix Z270E Gaming
Cooling Cooler Master Nepton 120XL
Memory Corsair Vengeance LED Red 2x8GB 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Strix GTX980TI
Storage Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z / Dell SE198WFP
Case NOX Hummer TG RGB
Power Supply Corsair RM850
Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma
Software Windows 10 - 64bit
No the SLIPatch doesn't modify the bios. I think what might have happened is that your ocing your cpu and because you have more ram sticks the oc isn't stable anymore probably need to increase the nb voltage.

dlerch

Doh! That's right, I will increase nb volt to 1.3. Should I adjust my ram voltage in turbov or in:eek: my bios?

Processor Intel i7 7700k @4.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus Strix Z270E Gaming
Cooling Cooler Master Nepton 120XL
Memory Corsair Vengeance LED Red 2x8GB 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Strix GTX980TI
Storage Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z / Dell SE198WFP
Case NOX Hummer TG RGB
Power Supply Corsair RM850
Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma
Software Windows 10 - 64bit
Bios always better.

DeadlyDNA

Hello, i'm back again. I gave up on fighting with my AMD board and getting 3 way SLI to work with my 470's. However now i am at a new point can i get 3 way SLI to work on a p8p67 pro mobo? I am going to try it out but was wondering if 3 way support is still elusive on this patch.

Thanks!

federicoz45

System Name Water Damage Inc.
Processor AMD Phenom X6 1090T
Motherboard Asus Crosshair IV Formula
Cooling Full watercooled EK W.B. - Aquacomputer Gmbh. CPU-MB-VGA
Memory Corsair XMS3 DDR 3 8gb 1600 Mhz
Video Card(s) P.O.V. GTX 570 U.C. - EVGA GTX 570 S.C.
Storage SSD vertex 2 64 Gb - SSD Agility 4 128 Gb
Display(s) ASUS VE278Q
Case CoolerMaster CM690 Nvidia edition
Audio Device(s) Built in MB
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 1350W
Software Windows 7 x64 ultimate
Hello, I wish to ask if is possible with a gtx570 sli add a third card for phisyx purposes that is not a 570 but a gt 450 or 430. Anyone never tried such a config like this?
Do the sli patch work in this scenario?
Thanks

DeadlyDNA

Yes I am sure you can.

I can verify I was able to run 2x470gtx SLI and use 3rd 470gtx as a physx card

On an AMD platform.

I see no reason you cannot do it as long as you get a supported physx capable video card.

soundood

federicoz45

Display(s) ASUS VE278Q
Yes right if you use all the same videocards.
My question is about using two cards like 570 in sli and a third that is not like a 460 or even a 9800 gt. For what I know the slipatch doesn't support this.

System Name Bigfoot
Processor Q6600@3.2Ghz
Motherboard P5Q Pro Turbo
Cooling Artic Cooling
Memory 4Gb GSkill DDR2 1066Mhz
Video Card(s) 2xGTX460 1Gb HyperSLI
Storage 3x500Gb
Display(s) 22'' LG/ 32'' LG
Case Nox Coolbay 25
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX-850W
Software Win7 64/XP 32
My question is about using two cards like 570 in sli and a third that is not like a 460 or even a 9800 gt. For what I know the slipatch doesn't support this.

Physx it's not afected by Sli Patch, so if you have a board that supports 3 cards and are running two way Sli(Sli patched) and put a card to dedicated Physx you should be ok, it's not like three way sli.

Just a side note, i tried to use my old 8800GT as a Phyx card a while back and the performance was worse that with a single GTX460 doing rendering and physx at the same time, so you should get something better for that if you want some kind of performance increase.

federicoz45

Display(s) ASUS VE278Q
Thanks for your explanation, I'll try with a card better than 9800 or so.

johnspack

Here For Good!
System Name System2 Blacknet , System1 Blacknet2
Processor System2 Threadripper 1920x, System1 2699 v3
Motherboard System2 Asrock Fatality x399 Professional Gaming, System1 Asus X99-A
Cooling System2 Noctua NH-U14 TR4-SP3 Dual 140mm fans, System1 AIO
Memory System2 64GBS DDR4 3000, System1 32gbs DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) System2 GTX 980Ti System1 GTX 970
Storage System2 4x SSDs + NVme= 2.250TB 2xStorage Drives=8TB System1 3x SSDs=2TB
Display(s) 2x 24" 1080 displays
Case System2 Some Nzxt case with soundproofing...
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U7 MKII
Power Supply System2 EVGA 750 Watt, System1 XFX XTR 750 Watt
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Ducky
Software Manjaro, Windows 10, Kubuntu 23.10
Benchmark Scores It's linux baby!
To be honest, with sli gtx570s, you don't need a physx card at all. With gtx2xxx and above cards, they do their own physx just fine. It's really a waste of energy ect to run a 3rd card.

snowmanwithahat

So I've tried this with the newest WHQL drivers and v1.5 of the patch... I keep getting the error "your computer is need to reboot."

I'm running a fairly complicated system as far as the bootloader goes.. I think this might have something to do with it. I have grub2 loading up which points to the windows bootloader, ubuntu 10.04 and a grub1 bootloader which points to backtrack and back to the windows bootloader again (a mistake on my part) ... I'm trying to not screw up my linux partitions with this patch... but I might just have to to get it working.

Any advice is very much appreciated

DeadlyDNA

Sorry i did not break it down more for you.

Physx it's not afected by Sli Patch, so if you have a board that supports 3 cards and are running two way Sli(Sli patched) and put a card to dedicated Physx you should be ok, it's not like three way sli.

Just a side note, i tried to use my old 8800GT as a Phyx card a while back and the performance was worse that with a single GTX460 doing rendering and physx at the same time, so you should get something better for that if you want some kind of performance increase.

He explained it better so no need to repeat.

To be honest, with sli gtx570s, you don't need a physx card at all. With gtx2xxx and above cards, they do their own physx just fine. It's really a waste of energy ect to run a 3rd card.

I want to add my personal experience here. I am not trying to say anyone is wrong about this physx card comments, but my own testing proved other wise(at least with the 400 series).

On my x58 classified i ran 3x470gtx in sli and added 295gtx for dedicated physx(all i had at the time) and in metro 2033 benchmark i found a gain in FPS vs using my 3x470gtx only. No it was not alot of FPS but it was a gain. if i recall about 3 or 4 fps on my average.

The 3 way result with dedicated physx i did not expect any gains because of people saying the same thing. Is it worth having a dedicated physx for a very tiny gain? Thats up to you, but i am always trying to squeeze extra when i am benching.

One thing i also noticed and did not investigate to heavily was i ran a 470gtx for dedicated physx and found about 50% GPU usage in i believe Mafia II demo benchmark. i think i turned physx up to max.

Hope this helps in some way. I suspect the comment about using an 8800gt for physx and a 460 resulting in worse performance might be because 8800GT not having enough horsepower to perform physx at a 460GTX level.

Anyways I wonder how the new 990FX supporting SLI will affect the SLI patch, Although myself i am still debating on trying it on this P8P67 PRO that doesn't support 3 way but only 2 way SLI. Given the fact it's less desirable to run 3x or 4x SLI and CF with all the hindrances like reduced scaling, cpu bottlenecks and the like. I don't expect i will get very far as not many people wish to subject themselves to the aggravation or costs. Maybe i need to get a cheaper hobby or just be happy with 1 or 2 cards......

snowmanwithahat

DeadlyDNA,

I just wanted to say that I've done similar testing and come to the same conclusions. While playing Cryostasis with physx enabled I actually experienced a game-breaking fps drop when using an 8600gt (definitely on the low end) for physx and a 285 for graphics. Using the 285 for both resulted in higher fps because of how poor the 8600 performance was.

On a similar note anything over an 8800GTX had negligible increases in performance. i tested with a 9800 GTX, GTS 250, and a GTX 260, all had the exact same performance when paired with a 285 for graphics.

I've recently been running a GTX 470 with a GTS 250 (1gb) for physx. It's been a great setup until just last night when I got this sli-patch to work. Now I'm running 2 gtx 470s. Metro 2033 performance seems to be better, but I haven't benchmarked it to know for sure. I think it's mainly because Metro2033 was way too much for a single GTX 470 at 2560x1600 no matter what so the physx card had hardly any effect.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience testing physx cards. I definitely think a strong pair of SLI'd cards is way better for almost everything (only like 5% of the games I own have physx anyway)

Also... in regards to my post just above this one. I fixed the problem by reloading the windows bootloader with "bootrec.exe /fixmbr" and "/fixboot" like what was mentioned earlier. I haven't reinstalled grub yet to gain access to my linux systems but I think it should be a fairly easy process.

Also, as far as performance gains and limitations go it seems like my system is in pretty good shape. I only have it in an 8x/8x configuration and the Q6600 (3.4ghz) I'm running this on is relatively slow, but the performance still is great. Here's a quick benchmark

3dmark without 4212: http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1439971?show_ads=true&page=/3dm11/1439971?key=PvfX6Wx7vM2qd436EydnM9zFaZbZXV
3dmark with sli 6523: http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1439939;jse...11/1439939?key=dNQXt8EYwWLzzA0Z5xxZZ3bzvv53ej

The score didn't go up a ton, but the graphics performance nearly doubled (gpu score and actual fps). Thanks a ton for getting this sli-patch working. Huge value being able to get this performance by throwing in another gtx 470 for $170

DroneHive

System Name furnace
Processor Xeon X5680 @ 3.33 Ghz x 2
Motherboard Supermicro X8DTG-QF
Cooling Air
Memory 24.0 GB
Video Card(s) 2 x 480 GTX, 1 X Quadro 4000
Storage WD RE3 1TB SATA2 + WD Green 1.5TB
Display(s) 2 x Dell 2408WFP
Case Supermicro SC747TQ-R1400B
Audio Device(s) Onboard Intel HD
Power Supply 2 x 1400W
Software Debian Squeeze & Windows 7 Pro
Supermicro finally ok

Just to report SLI finally works on my Supermicro server board. Couldn't until now but the 1.5 patch finally did it!

Great work!

TheWolf

System Name TheWolf
Processor Q9650/Q9550
Motherboard Abit IP35ProXE/IX38QuadGT
Cooling Big Typhoon x4
Memory G-Skill/A-Data/SuperTalent
Video Card(s) 3x MSI 260GTX OC 2x216 1x192 shaders
Storage Hitachi 80gb x2
Display(s) Norcent/Neovo
Case none/benching stations
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Crosair TX650W
Software XP/W7
well guys, i think the time has come for me to give up the SLI patch ghost, i have just taken delivery of a Asus M5A99X EVO, to get ready for bulldozer, this board of course is the first AMD chipset board to support SLI, and does not need patching, so far i am really happy with it.

but although i wont be patching, i will still follow the thread to offer any help i can, but i would just like to say it has been a wonderfull couple of years here, the excitment at making this work and being part of the early team of testers was a real honour. :toast:

Finaly of course i would like to thank TiN, Sveetsnelda, and of course Anatolymik :respect: for all the work that has been put in here, but also for the real feeling of 'team Spirit' from people's from all over the globe, just willing to help, for nothing other than the fact they could.

and i suppose we all forget that TPU forums allowed this thread to survive for so long, without warnings or intervention, truly one of the last forums to be so understanding.

throughout the time here i have managed to enable SLI on around 20 motherboards,(AMD/Intel)(My Own/Friends) so again thanks to everyone for that :rockout:

take care friends, this is not a goodbye, just a 'till next time' ;)

I second that! I still follow the thread even tho I have X58 & now P67 motherboards.
I still use the patch in benching for my older systems & for Forum Wars this year.
Has some pretty awesome scores at that for such a older rig. Ran a X48DQ6 paired with a couple GTX480's. ;)
http://3dmark.com/3dm06/15463656
http://3dmark.com/3dmv/2938486
http://theraptorpit.com/Upload/images/10263.png

Anyways thanks so much Sveetsnelda TiN & Anatolymik for letting me be apart of the beta
team & to anyone else that leaned a hand back in the beginning of all this.

Top notch thread & forum!

:respect: :rockout:

Last edited:
System Name Nexus PC
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3, 3600 MHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3
Cooling Thermalright Macho V2
Memory 24GB DDR3, 1400MHZ CL8
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon R9 290
Storage Samsung EVO 960 250gb, EVO 850 250gb, Vertex 3 128gb. 2 TB of Rotational.
Display(s) 1xAsus MX299, 2x Asus MX239, Oculus Rift CV1
Case Sunflower Tower
Audio Device(s) C-Media CMI8738/C3DX
Power Supply Corsair TX850
Mouse Cyborg R.A.T. 7
Software Win7 64Bit Ultimate
I second that! I still follow the thread even tho I have X58 & now P67 motherboards.
I still use the patch in benching for my older systems & for Forum Wars this year.
Has some pretty awesome scores at that for such a older rig. Ran a X48DQ6 paired with a couple GTX480's. ;)
http://3dmark.com/3dm06/15463656
http://3dmark.com/3dmv/2938486
http://theraptorpit.com/Upload/images/10263.png

Anyways thanks so much Sveetsnelda TiN & Anatolymik for letting me be apart of the beta
team & to anyone else that leaned a hand back in the beginning of all this.

Top notch thread & forum!

:respect: :rockout:
See, it was not a bad thing, that i once whined about, how complicated the patching process was! :p

I also would like to thank the Team,for beeing one of the early and nowadays beta tester, and for years of flawless work, which saved a myriad of people thousands of dollars!
You guys just rock!:rockout::rockout::rockout:

Aspar

Hello there,
i am new to the forum and registered only to thank the guys for the awesome work they have done with the SLI patch.
Also to report success with it on my Asus Rampage Formula X48 mobo with 2x Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti SOC cards with latest nVidia drivers and patch 1.5.
I would like to ask someone who have tried this to confirm it or deny it, but as one of those cards was not mine i will make SLI with a Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti OC and Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti SOC, which are essentially one and the same with 50 Mhz difference in factory OC. In officially supported SLI mobo setup this is completely ok to work and i suppose it would be with the SLI patch, but can you confirm this please? That you can run SLI patch enabled SLI setup with 2xVGA in different stock speeds (same GPU).
Thank you.

There aren't any limitations on differing stock clocks. I myself have one 607MHz card and one 656MHz card.

psilonaut

sli problem

would appreciate if someone could help.
so, Ive got asus pq5 deluxe mobo with two gtx 8800 on sli mode.
I installed a patch and the latest nvidia(275.33) drivers.
Every time I access nvidia control panel and press enable sli mode drivers got deleted and pc needs to be restarded and drivers installed again.
Ive got win 7 64.
What's the problem?
Thanks in advance.