1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I challenge you! to help me fix this issue lol

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Hvactech, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Hvactech New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok so I will try to make this as painless as possible.. I don't have any expirence with computers so bare with me please. I appreciate the help guys.

Built new computer from ground up

Here are spec that I could find (feel free to ask and tell me where to find more info)

Intel core i52500K CPU @3.3Ghz
    MSI P67A-C43 (MS-7673)
    MSI N-560GTX-Ti Hawk (s)
    Core speed is at 3292 Mhz

The problem is when I go into a game or full screen a video my computer has a hard shut down. I use MSI afterburner in stock settings and it happens still w or wo afterburner.
    I have read all threads I could find and nothing goes over how to fix this issue.
    Let me know where to start please!

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What power supply are you using?

3. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    what are your cpu temps? also, check to see if cpu cooler is fastened tight.

4. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    CPU heat sink not attached correctly. Its overheating. The stock cooler on a i5 2500K are difficult to get right. The pins have to all the way through the hole before you push the black knob down. The white bottom should be flush wit the board. Push it down with a screw driver before pushing the black knob to lock it in place

Build a PC: Heat Sink Fan - YouTube

5. Hvactech New Member

Thanks Received:
    So my CPU temps are decent chillin at 47 degrees without a load and they stay right around there..my power suplly is 650W forgot the brand but its a good one.. I have had this problem for a long while...at first I replaced the power supply to a larger one then I bought a better graphics card and it is still shutting off during any game play.. the GPU sink is attached correctly I made sure of that when I built it and I just took it off and put it back on to be sure. I might have fucked up because I don't have anymore heat paste to reapply (fuck)
    The red light light on my tower (appears to be a warning light) is blinking steady and really starts blinking during game play

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  6. Bluefox1115

Thanks Received:
    you should never remove the heatsink from your graphics card. you most likely screwed something up there. your system may not be getting enough power depending on the power supply. and also, your processor is most likely overheating. you should probably have your entire system looked at by a professional or someone like many of us with lots of experience. you have most likely voided any and all warranties if you decided to tinker around with heatsinks and taking things apart. electronics are not something to reckon with if you don't know exactly what you're doing. :\

7. Hvactech New Member

Thanks Received:
    I took the heat sink off the mother board...

8. Bluefox1115

Thanks Received:
    that's usually not a good idea either. what kind of thermal paste or pads are you using? each part usually requires a specific kind, as some are electrically conductive, and others are not. arctic silver 5 is great for processors, while the white pads or arctic ceramique should be used for boards such as gpu's and motherboards.

9. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    That would be an issue You always replace the paste when removing the HS. Clean and reapply

10. Bluefox1115

Thanks Received:
    did you clean and replace the paste on the motherboard and reinstall the heatsink properly to the NB/SB, vrms on the motherboard?

11. Hvactech New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's fine.. what about the red light..

12. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Hvactech says thanks.
  13. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    put the screw driver away sparky
    and take it to a a shop and lets someone that knows what the f**** they are doing fix it before you break something

14. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    now, that is not very nice.

Seriously though, if you have no experience with computer hardware, take it to your local computer store and ask them to take a gander at it. You do NOT want to void your warranties.
    You should never leave the heatsink off any component that already has one. Also, the other possibility is that perhaps you need a better heatsink/fan combo. I had pretty bad temps on my 8120 with my heatsink/fan till I switched to an H100i.

Hvactech says thanks.
  15. Hvactech New Member

Thanks Received:
    Listen.. I'm going to fix this issue myself. So far, I have checked the manual already, but reviewed it again (Thanks for the link) It says nothing of the display light.. and the heat sink seems to be pretty large..how do I check the CPU temp because on afterburner it doesn't tell me...

16. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    you need to fill out your full system specs including the model numbers
    id bet the issue is power supply(hard power off when at load = bad psu) period

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  17. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure it's something you can figure out with a little assistance from some courteous folks. The display light on your tower is probably nothing more than the HDD light, a light that comes on when your hard drive is being accessed.

To find out your CPU temperatures, download Real Temp right from this site and install it. Hopefully that's the issue, since overheating the cpu is an easy fix.

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2089/Real_Temp_3.70.html

Good luck:toast:

Hvactech says thanks.
  18. Hvactech New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK So I checked the temps and it didn't (CPU) rise above 60 degrees C with a 3DMark11 test oddly enough.. although during the test it dropps down to like 14 FPS.. the GPU usage goes up to 100%!!

19. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Those temps shouldn't be causing your problem. This could be a PSU problem though 650W is plenty for your setup., but you say you already replaced it. When you get a chance can you tell us the exact PSU you have or even take a picture of your computer with the side panel off.

20. Hvactech New Member

Thanks Received:
    There isn't a label and I really don't think it's super necessary to take it out and look for one... I know it's 650W though.. The taps that connect to the video card are supposed to be separate right? not on the same wires I assume..

Attached Files:

21. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    500 bucks says its the power supply that photo screams cheap junk the 80mm fan ungromented cables and poor finsh on the tin is a dead give away as to the 'quality' of that unit I would replace it ASAP before it blows up and takes your entire rig with it and no I am not joking I have had it happen never go cheap on the psu
    i would be shocked if that unit was a 350WATT let alone a 650 ///

22. rizzo

rizzo New Member

Thanks Received:
    3DMARK Is for testing your vid card not your cpu. You need to run prime or other program that will tax your cpu 100% then check temps. I would guess PSU or maybe a sketch mb. It didn't crash when you ran 3dmark?

23. Hvactech New Member

Thanks Received:
    well I didn't purchase it so im not sure as of the quality :/ I see what your saying though..
    Yes it crashes when it starts the physics test.. and I will try to find this Prime program to test CPU

24. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    there is not a SINGLE 650Wat psu on newegg or tigerdirect that uses a inside intake fan 80MM fan the green stickers are also a warning flag what is the model unbolt the dam thing so I can tell you if its gonna set your house on fire or not :banghead:
    if you want a decent capable psu in the 650 range expect to spend at least 100 bucks
    I know I am being a ass and I don't care you can seriously get hurt running these cheap china made ticking time bombs

Hvactech says thanks.
  25. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:

+1. That psu looks like a very cheap pos.

Aquinus, OneMoar and Hvactech say thanks.