1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I challenge you! to help me fix this issue lol

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Hvactech, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    WOW i've never seen such a bad (supposedly) high wattage PSU! That must be a "No1 bottom" place holder!

Seems like the OP is lucky his PSU hasnt exploded yet when the GPU tries to draw more power. It is actually amazing to see how modern PC components (mobo, gpu etc) can sustain alot of beating from a low quality PSU, since the OP mentions he has this shutdown problem "for a while now".

A a corsair CX500 500W psu will to the job for you, or actually any 500W+ PSU with at least 80+Bronze rating from a known company.
  2. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    Im considering upgrading my psu to handle my system better. So yeah bronze or better. Cheap is crap (not inexpensive cheap. Quality cheap)
  3. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Hvactech and MT Alex say thanks.
  4. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    I agree but as most people here have said, this Diablotek 650W PSU is dangerous and should not be used with a demanding system. The OP should change this PSU asap even if this is not causing his issue. 78% efficiency is not even the "basic" bronze rating for quality. about 7-8 years ago I also had a cheap PSU and after more than 2 years of use it exploded and made a flash like it was a firework in my case, damaging the expensive mobo and P4 2.6Ghz cpu I had back then. Since then I always buy the best possible PSUs in terms of build quality. And guess what... I got an HX850 for 4 years without a problem since then.
  5. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    I am not disagreeing with you but the culprit can not be determined by a wild guess. The 12V rail needs to be checked to accurately point to the PSU weather is is a good PSU or not. 12V is 12V.
  6. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Either way, he should still replace that PSU.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Easily said, you going to pay? :roll:

Determine the problem first
    Hvactech says thanks.
  8. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    deathhush checking the the 12v rail is not gonna do shit unless its done at load and the system shuts down underload :banghead: unless he wants to rig some probes and monitor the voltage as the system shuts down ...
  10. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    I really do not understand what your saying. If you read back, I am NOT saying it is not the PSU. The proper way to determine if the PSU is the issue is test it, not go out and buy a new one. If he stresses it he will be able to determine how many volts the rail puts out. If it is within toleraance, her can troubleshoot another issue. I don't think this is hard to understand. This is what a pro would do.

It is very simple to load the system Moar. Need I explain how to?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2013
  11. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    I understand what you are saying BUT he needs to change the PSU ANYWAY due to it being a shit unit. Would you want that PSU in your rig?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    why bother we already know that the psu is junk :banghead: it doesn't take a 24h stress test to tell you that if the system is HARD POWERING OFF underload then the power supply is at fault do you even know if the op knows how to use a multi-meter correctly he already went and ripped the heatsinks off of stuff without thinking about it do you really want him near several amps of power with metal probes (no offence to the op)
    you need to hush I have never been wrong nor do I intend to start here
    you are also several hours late to this party
  13. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    It is pretty simple argumentative one, the issue may NOT be the PSU. Again, if you read my replies, I agree the PSU is not a good one. It is very simple to test the PSU with it installed with a multimeter. Do you want directions along with how to run prime 95 to stress the system. This is how computer shops determine the problem. Now again, I will say, I DID NOT say the issue was not the PSU. It may well be. I gave my suggestion and you guys insist he go buy another PSU. I guess you know peoples bank accounts. Some don't have $100 to run out and buy a new PSU and find out the PSU was not the problem. A multimeter only costs $20 to troubleshoot the problem.

Isolate the problem is what persons do and that is why I am very good at helping troubleshoot peoples problems.

It does not seem he is overclocking so the chances it is the PSU is slim. If the PSU is not the problem, he just wasted $100. Pretty plain and simple.Let's wait to see what his disposition is. You always want to argue and the OP has not responded.
  14. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    The rig Hard off's under GPU load. I will go out on a limb here and say that the psu doesn't supply enough amps on the 12v rail to supply the system hence the shut down under gpu load. If he keeps running the rig like this it will show itself in a not so good way that the psu is not strong enough.

OP if you could snap a pic of the lable on the psu for us.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll give you a few minutes to edit your posts together. You seem like a smart guy, it shouldn't be very difficult for you.

Please remember to use the "multiquote" or "edit" feature in the future.

Thank you. :toast:
  16. IINexusII

IINexusII

Thanks Received:
    I understand what youre saying drdeathx, i always make sure i diagnose what is wrong with my car before throwing parts at it.

But in this case, even if the PSU shows good amps, i would still get it replaced. that thing looks like it could blow very soon and i wouldnt want to risk the entire PC. on a car you cant test the electrical system accurately if the battery is at the end of its life. the battery usually gets replaced before diagnosing other problems.

Get the PSU changed, then you can run diagnostics.
    OneMoar says thanks.
  17. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    I agree nexus but before throwing the cash away, detect the problem. He said nothing about overclocking and if the rail throws enough volts, the system will work fine. Just going out and buying a PSU and throwing it in and finding out there is another piece of hardware that costs another $100 is not smart sence. Any reputable computer shop would test the PSU 1st since it is the easiest and simplest test to do. It takes 2 seconds, then move to the next trouble shoot. They would not AUTOMATICALLY assume the PSU is the problem weather it is a high end or low end. It is like assuming someone has a high end PSU, that would not be the problem. High end PSU's also go bad thus the quick check of the PSU. Now, by the thread, the OP knows he has a low end PSU and that is not the point. The point is to diagnose the problem and poeple who just throw solutions out there without doing the proper steps are just, well, throwing it out there. I appreciate your response...
  18. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    THIS THIS THIS omg THIS:toast:
  19. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Buy it for him and the problem is resolved:toast:

Well not resolved but the debate can stop. Like mentioned, when troubleshooting at a reputable computer shop, the PSU would be tested before replacement. If the PSU tets out fine, he has time to replace it. If it doesn't, bingo, problem identified......
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  20. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    So you missed that he tried to run a computer with a GTX560Ti with something that might have been a low powered PSU? And that it dies during gaming, when the GPU and thus the PSU had more load on them? Experience and common sense tells us the PSU is part of the problem. In this case it IS the first thing to test, but obviously it's not always the first thing. When someone has dealt enough with computer problems patterns emerge (as with everything else). Like when back in august I had some weird problems and I thought it was the motherboard but Mussels plain told me it was the memory, because he had seen that exact thing several times. And it was of course the memory. It's the same thing here.

There is a chance he has other problems as well, but the PSU is the great big elephant in the chinastore. Lets clear that out before hunting the mice.

And how does one test a PSU when you have no equipment to do so? You get a new one and see if your stuff works with that. Ideally he should borrow one first, yes, but if he can't he can't. If he wants to actually use his computer he would have to get another one anyway.
    Killer_Rubber_Ducky and IINexusII say thanks.
  21. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    I fail to see how getting a BETTER PSU is a waste of money when the one he currently has is craptastic at best. Why would i keep an Ultra PSU in a rig with expensive components when for less than a decent CPU, I can drop in a reliable, powerful PSU and protect my expensive parts? How is this wasting his money? I would call this intelligent investing in the well being of his rig. Not replacing his crap PSU would be like turning down a Kevlar helmet and body armour because your leather armour feels fine and has protected you from BBs when you are going up against bullets and IEDs.
    IINexusII says thanks.
  22. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Normally I would agree that this type of trouble shooting is a bad idea. But its a $30 600w PSU (Diablotek 600W ATX). You need a load tester not a volt tester to tst it. But your probably right its not entirely the PSU fault but its a good place to start
  23. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    His psu can put out a perfect 12 volts on the 12v rail dosen't rule out the psu. He needs to check the amps. His rig is most likely pulling more amps under load on the 12v rail then the psu can handle hence the hard shut down. I bet if he runs the rig till is shuts down then puts his hand on the psu it will be hotter then crap.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Besides, some "troubleshooting" was made to begin with, when the op was told to check the temps. And they were fine.
  25. Pehla

Pehla

Thanks Received:
    my god is it imposible to get new psu just for testing?? no one of ur friends doesnt have pc?? :)
    chek one component at the times ...
    Jetster says thanks.