1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I have a feeling that I don't like Steam.

Discussion in 'Games' started by RuskiSnajper, Jul 4, 2010.

?

How do you agree with the steam opinion?

1. Yeah, I agree, I use it rarely or not at all anymore.

10 vote(s)
    9.0%
  2. Nope, it suits my needs, i think it's fine for me.

98 vote(s)
    88.3%
  3. I don't know nor care because i never used it.

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    Because under the new definition of game "ownership" proposed by the companies employing DRM, you are stealing when you allow your brother access to your games: two people, two games. They want to clamp down on our ability to sell, lend or pass games on once we have finished with them, forget about all the bull relating to piracy, that's just a smokescreen.

That said, I agree with Mussels, the advantages of Steam outweigh the hindrances it entails and whilst your objection is valid, it goes against Valve's primary objective, so you are unlikely to see any movement in this regard.
  2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I think steam is awesome for smaller indie games, but for full games? I want CD's and thick books.
  3. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    I used to think like that and with certain titles I may prefer to buy the physical copy; however, when you live in a studio apartment you are thankful for any possiblity to remove unnecessary clutter. I do agree that it's easier to be able to consult the manual without having to exit the game, but other than that, I don't really miss physical copies. All the manuals are available for consulation online anyway.
  4. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    You read the manual to Outcast? It hade a glossary for the alien language in it. The Blizzard manuals often have lots of stories in them, and I really prefer to have them physicly.

Plus it's a lot more cred-worthy im,o. :p
  5. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    I agree, actually reading something in your hand with nice glossy pages etc, is so much more appealing than reading the same stories on a webpage, and yet I hate reading books, manuals and so on, but seem's this is all a matter of personal preference, and I think it would be nice if Steam offered some sort of service where you can .... let's say buy a disc/manual (retail packaging) of the game you brought for a small cost, surely they could team up with some of the game makers out there to do something like this?
  6. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
    love me some steam! one positive i can say about it is just last night one of my steam friend send me message about tf2 engie golden wrench! since my friend noticed i havent played tf2 for some time (blame bc2) now u cant beat that!

BTW add me as friend if need steam firend ;)
  7. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    I definitly love Steam and am a huge fan of Valve's games. I have over 50 games on my Steam account alone.:)

Only problem for me is that i have shitty internet connection, so it's not very fun trying to actually get this games downloaded. But the Steam sales make it worth it.(and the fact that im usually to lazy to get up and go to a game store. lol)

Some games i do prefer having the box/CD though, like the games that i know will require a large download.(ie. Rage, probably Doom4, The Witcher, probably Crysis 2.. etc) due to my slow internet. Or if there's some kind of cool special/collectors edtion version of a game i want in stores, i'll pick it up.
  8. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    2 days, 157 posts of pure pointless ranting and arguing. :slap:
    1Kurgan1 says thanks.