1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I have a feeling that I don't like Steam.

Discussion in 'Games' started by RuskiSnajper, Jul 4, 2010.

?

How do you agree with the steam opinion?

1. Yeah, I agree, I use it rarely or not at all anymore.

10 vote(s)
    9.0%
  2. Nope, it suits my needs, i think it's fine for me.

98 vote(s)
    88.3%
  3. I don't know nor care because i never used it.

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Negatives:
    Forced Auto-Updating
    Useless Valve Anti Cheat
    Steam needs to be running to play the game
    Steam needs to connect to it's servers to play the game
    Steam-specific patches and support versions required
    The games installs into the freaking Program files:)shadedshu)
    Steam integration into the game which you can't disable.
    More game stability issues with Steam version (freezes,crashes)

Positives:
    -Friend chat and communities (I don't need msn-like chat and i have other better programs for that, plus you have sites for communities, Valve doesn't need to monitor the communities)
    -Cheaper games (weekly discounts)

And what's more, there are a lot of crap games up there without dedicated servers, mod tools ... etc

2. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    positives

Steam can be played offline
    usually cheaper
    awesome sales
    simple pay, download and play
    auto-updating

negatives

requires steam

El_Mayo says thanks.
  3. IINexusII

IINexusII

Thanks Received:
    i see you havent done any research

Forced Auto-Updating
    simply turn off auto updating on any games you wish (right click game, properties then auto updating tab)

Steam integration into the game which you can't disable.
    again, it can be disabled. settings, In game tab, disable in game overlay.

Steam needs to connect to it's servers to play the game
    you can use offline mode if you have no net, and play any game in your steam library. cant play online on servers of course

The games installs into the freaking Program files()
    when you install steam, you can choose the location, just like any other software.

jasper1605, burtram, Mussels and 5 others say thanks.
  4. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    Burn! He resolved most of your issues lol

El_Mayo and Solaris17 say thanks.
  5. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Auto updating is way from positive because you can't play the game AT ALL if it doesn't update , this means you are bound from starting the game at all.

simple pay download and play is also a negative from a collectors view , because you don't own a physical copy and it can get lost , you can burn it , but that won't work with the profile then you'll have to crack it afaik.

What's more , i don't use credit cards or any kind of international online payment to be even relying on steam alone.

6. IINexusII

IINexusII

Thanks Received:
    you could just make a backup of the steam game files

7. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Wow this is not noted anywhere , this wasn't present time ago, and I never saw the browse button when installing a game , but that was actually a retail game using steam.

8. IINexusII

IINexusII

Thanks Received:
    make a backup of the steamapps folder, then reinstall steam to the location you wish, then simply move the steamapps folder to the new location and all your games are installed

9. Cheeseball

Thanks Received:
    Well, it's been there since Half-Life 2 ever came out (which I believe is the exact same time that Steam came out).

Anyways, most of the issues you have with Steam are resolved one way or the other. I used to hate Steam before, but now that they cleaned up their act, it's the only place I buy games now (except for Blizzard games).

The only point I agree with you on is:
    But it's an exception that I am willing to make considering that the new version of Steam only takes up like 2MB of RAM when minimized in the System Tray/Notification Area.

10. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Negatives:
    -Steam is DRM. Nuff' said.

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Necrofire

Necrofire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually, you really only have to install steam once :D
    Copy the SteamApps folder and Steam.exe where you want, and then open steam. It'll do all the dirty work and you're back in business.

Did that last windows install, didn't lose a thing.

I do find it unnecessary that steam has to run to play a game, but I've gotten used to it.

I did finally stop being angry with steam ever since the complete redo. I hated it when it had to use internet explorer for online content (<3 webkit).

What steam is lacking though, is linux support. I don't see why there has been a delay with the linux release. I'm not content with a WINE install, it just isn't the same. If/when native linux support comes, I will possibly be able to ditch windows forever.

12. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not to mention you'll never lose your library as long as you remember your credentials to login.

Backup your files to DVD size option and stick it somewhere.. that way when you move to a new pc or w/e all you have to do is load from the image and its ready to rock.

I think steam is awesome.. yeah I agree the valve anti-cheat is useless.. but eventually those people do get banned it just takes a while so it really limits the amount of AC protection in real time.

13. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    I used to hate steam at first but thats because I had a pathetic 56k dialup speed net connection, but now 5yrs later I have a 30Mbps cable connection and I luv steam:toast:

14. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I love Steam, I have a hard time keeping all my CD's together, most get damaged. This allows me to buy a game at any time of the night (which I have been doing), allows me access to them all the time, shows me friends who own them, sometimes offers nice achievements for the games, and the ingame chat feature is exactly what I want, I want to be able to talk to friends while in game.

I'm thinking you really aren't going to find many who agree here, it is a great service, and their deals are awesome, only downfall is you can't resell games.

15. LiNKiN

LiNKiN Staff

Thanks Received:
    If only they could come up with a way to "trade-in" titles/keys for store credit or whatever then I would give Steam a 10/10. Only digital distribution service I like atm.

16. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Not steam's fault, talk to the game dev/dedi server owners

You can actually disable it game-by-game now, right-click, properties, untick Enable Steam Community In-Game :)

17. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I'm kind of confused why you would want to disable steam integration? It's really the best feature, unless you are only buying your games on steam because you hate people more than anything else and steam allows you to buy the games you want without making contact with other people, and since you hate them you also don't want to talk to them.

Crusader and zithe say thanks.
  18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree. I wish I could trade.

19. IINexusII

IINexusII

Thanks Received:
    thers a list of games that are tradable, i used it to convert my Unreal tournament 3 from retail

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

yeah, ive gotten used to it too, especially because my mates also use it, and its turning out to be an alternative to windows live sometimes, i can jus chat to them while im playing any game instead of minimizing to check messages. and invite them to any serves im currently in :)

20. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    If i have option to pick between retarded Always on protection like that junk from Ubisoft and Steam, i'd pick Steam anytime you want it. Same goes for online activations with limited number of re-activations. Who the hell made up this shit should be shot on sight. And it's becoming a standard in todays games. When all of them will have this, i'll stop buying games and focus on indie games only. The ones that are not plagued by this crap. And they come with smaller price and more fun (usually).

Mussels and IINexusII say thanks.
  21. IINexusII

IINexusII

Thanks Received:
    +1

22. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
    Totally agree, with my son and myself both playing games and hardware coming and going all the time, we don't have to worry aobut friggin scratched CD, cd keys or all that junk...

like was said many times, we just bakc up our directory and moving it to a new system is very easy.. Love Steam, always have, and prob always will..... :respect:

23. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    It's alot easy to backup and recover your games now, and there are option to split into many files to fit a dvd too. It's just a few clicks.

24. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    This is one fad I don't get in general. Steam is bloat and drm, pure and simple. A steam version of a game takes anywhere from 2-10 times as long to start, it often isn't compatible with mods because the files are modified, and all those sony rootkits from the disc versions you think you're avoiding by using steam? Guess what, they're installed with those games anyways... just for shits and giggles. I know, it doesn't make any sense.

I don't get the complaint about losing discs, aside from never losing anything, I back up every game and movie onto my hdd in a folder along with the key. I haven't had to use a game disc for anything, I just mount it with daemon.

Digital downloads certainly have potential to take over, but steam is just such a half-assed attempt that brings so much bullshit to the table. A new service is needed before this can really replace physical media.

RuskiSnajper says thanks.
  25. LiNKiN

LiNKiN Staff

Thanks Received:
    How many games do you have on your steam account?