1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I have a feeling that I don't like Steam.

Discussion in 'Games' started by RuskiSnajper, Jul 4, 2010.

?

How do you agree with the steam opinion?

1. Yeah, I agree, I use it rarely or not at all anymore.

10 vote(s)
    9.0%
  2. Nope, it suits my needs, i think it's fine for me.

98 vote(s)
    88.3%
  3. I don't know nor care because i never used it.

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    my avatar is a joke towards people with power and the power trips they take themselves on.. everyday I see someone abusing their power and no one says anything about it.. but that's a whole entirely other matter lol

but anyway, I like steam.
  2. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    The purpose is to do away with the second-hand games market, nothing more, nothing less.
  3. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh then steam does it the best.
  4. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    7/81/2 LOLZ

I think its unanimous
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    The only problem with it is that it's also taking the first hand market away...
    Mr McC says thanks.
  6. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I manually patched my GTA before the patch was out on steam, it worked fine.

I downloaded all my games to my parents new PC I built them, they live in Cali. So I could play games while I was there and introduce them to games like GTA, HL2, Portal, the new CIV.

I have a four year old, a two year old and a old house we are remodeling, I have no place to really keep my games besides in storage.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  7. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Can I have some power to abuse?

Thats not the point of DRM, thats the point of that new strategy of charging $10 to each person who buys a game second hand to be able to use the online abilities. DRM is to stop their shit from getting stolen, and it makes sense, it sucks that they have to go to such great length and sometimes it gives people who bought the game issues. But do you just let people steal from you? And if you knew someone that did steal from you, what would you do?
  8. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    You quadbike-barbecue them.
  9. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    I beg to differ. No form of DRM has prevented game theft to date. I would go further and say that some of the more draconian forms of DRM have actually driven more people to piracy. The companies are not stupid, why do you think that they pour millions into DRM despite it's inability to achieve its stated objective and despite the vehement backlash from customers?
  10. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    Future of games for Linux IMO
    no need for native anything
    Like Steam but no need to download..Games stay on online server
    Not high end graphics yet but good enough and you don't need a console or a high end somputer
    Onlive.com
  11. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    Let them do it.

If their bs make games hard to play then stop buying games from them.

We see murders everyday, ohhh let's get rid of the police! They're useless!

Right.
    1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  12. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    It has stopped some, and thats the goal, there really isnt another option, it's like door locks and cars. Those won't stop crap it's and simple and breaking your window, yet do you lock your car doors? I do and I've had numerous cars broken into at different times. Theres loop holes in everything, especially when you have teams of people working to break your security. They intend to make something that makes their property secure, then someone goes out and cracks it, so the next answer is to do what they did before, but with more force, and that gets broken, then repeat, repeat, repeat. These people put a lot of time into these games and people feel the need to take their time and give them nothing in return, they don't have a ton of other options.

I'm not saying it's all right, or that DRM is great, but I'm saying whats happening is predictable based on teams cracking shit right away, don't blame the developers, blame them. Ubisoft announces that new DRM for Assassins Creed 2 where you must be connected to the internet all the time.... response is 24 hours after its out a whole team has cracked it and put a letter in their crack to work on the games not the DRM. But that team cracks games all the time, and if there was nothing to test them then the games would be online and free and it would be exactly the same.

Like I said it's like locking your doors when your houses/cars/garages all have windows, but I'm betting you still lock them up.
  13. Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    i dont like steam for one reason - $ is not €
    RuskiSnajper says thanks.
  14. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    Again, I disagree. Piracy is blamed for far too much, and all too often used as an excuse for other agendas. Clearly the Internet has exaggerated piracy to some extent, but people were filling up both sides of a D90 cassette with Commodore 64 or Spectrum games long before the Web became common in households. In other words, I question whether piracy rates have increased to the extent that the companies claim. Moreover, given that it is clearly not working, as you yourself point out, why do they keep using it? They have most certainly lost sales by employing certain types of DRM, why do they keep using it? The answer has to be that tying up the second-hand market provides enough profit to offset any losses.

Here's a question: how many blank tapes did Sony sell in the VHS/ghetto blaster heyday? Did they think people were using these resources to record their singing voices in the shower? These are the same people trying to ram Securom down everbody's throat.

The focus of DRM, rather than preventing piracy, is to redefine the very concept of ownership. To take your analogy: you will never own another another car, cars will simply be leased to you, so you really shouldn't talk about "your" car.

To get back on topic, it is clear that most of us agree that Steam has triumphed and represents a useful tool on balance. However, it remains DRM and we should never forget that, nor should we be so eager to relinquish our ability to resell games, despite the advantages offered by any particular service.

Wrong, let's not allow the authorities to exceed their powers employing murder rates as an excuse.
    RuskiSnajper and shevanel say thanks.
  15. Gzero New Member

Thanks Received:
    HAHAH

Oh wait please tell me your not serious? You don't even own the license if you pay for that service. :roll:

Anyway back on topic. I don't feel Steam offers me great value for money. You lock ALL of your games to one account.

<This user has logged on in another location>

There you have it, no one is allowed to play any of your other games whilst you play CSS etc. That right has been taken away from you.
  16. Stak New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can wee SEE who voted for what???
  17. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    It's simple if you don't like Steam buy the retail, PCs are not like consoles (yet), where you have to bend over and wait to get... well, you know. We still have options in the PC.
  18. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    I don't think that it would be a good idea to see what people voted in this poll. It will derail the thread and make the mods have to go to "banstick Hill" and grab a switch off the "Club of Ban".. I think it would be best if we just didn't see the results.
    Stak says thanks.
  19. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    That's because UPDATES were forced in MW2 , then you couldn't use things such as console unlocker and other tweaks you need to first backup before updating.

That's really what you have in usa , look youtube "money as a debt" seems that in foreclousores you don't get nothing after , but then again i really don't know.

I have Win7 64x too , did have a major problem when Steam was stuck in an updating loop , reinstall didn't help , nothing.

So you're saying im not the only one not knowing things?

I know, but you'll never know what can happen , still possibility.

Yeah, I do have , from a modding,tweaking viewpoint , also modifing the profile (i will explain later), I think that's the biggest point of steam they had in mind , control the second-hand market, nevertheless but i honestly always thought steam was better than anything else. But that's valve sakes , i expected more of them.

That was my first impression too , except that i never planned to buy a game, i guess it wasn't as good as it now APPARENTLY is. still it's not perfect , or a substitute of taking over retail.

I have Xfire for that so no thanks , btw , i have more real life firends than online.

That's because it feels unsecure , always someting running , when game's crash you always blame it , or GFWL.

I guess i didn't notice

That's because I am a guy who knows well where and how to download patches and that's not a matter of vast proportions in innovation , but rather spoiling us, whatever, the idea is i explained before , forced updates aren't always great from a viewpoint of tweaking,modding. etc.

With who?

Agreed

Yes but that's everywhere , it's the hidden european union tax , i really don't like eu at all , they're going to make us like the usa. People seem to not even realize what are they going into.

Agreed

So i guess you can't play multiple instances of the game , another negative.

Ok in the end , it's nontheless better than it looked at first, but what about profile settings, it's saved there , i can't edit the profile with programs , change profile-bound CFGs , and the rest , ... this is commonly used when modding tweaking , but i don't know if it's possible in steam.
    Fatal says thanks.
  20. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    My daughter just downloaded steam because she wanted to download a few demos to take with her on vacation using the laptop...

I find it odd that she cannot add me to her contact list in the friends client until a game has been purchased on her account...

MEH
  21. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    You see , it's all about those little annoying details which don't make sense for an advanced user, that's like how windows is stupid sometimes , i just wish i would threw my PC off the window because it's sometimes SO DUMB and stuff doesn't want to work and is stupidly coded.
  22. ctrain New Member

Thanks Received:
    Probably as a prevention measure against any kind of automated spam or whatever else you can imagine. The account is more likely going to be used for some kind of legitimate purpose (gaming!) if someones bought something on it.
  23. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    yes. people would make an empty account, add you as a friend/send you a link, and use that link to steal your account.

many of these fakers/pirates wont buy games before trying to steal accounts, because it leaves some kind of trail that could be used to track them down.
    shevanel says thanks.
  24. Gzero New Member

Thanks Received:
    OP = thread starter.

I'm not bothered that no one else can play CSS on my CSS account whilst I play CSS as my example, but when I play CSS, why can't say my brother play HL2 or Just Cause 2 or any other game locked into my account.

I know people will just say, make a separate account, but that is impractical since it breaks Steam Friends (you would be constantly changing Friends name and having different friends in that list etc). Also how would you know what games to split across how many accounts? I have over 20 games on my Steam account. Some require Steam to function.
  25. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    yes, the inability to allow multiple PC's to play different games from the one account is a little annoying, but its offset by the cost. steam games are often half the price of retail here (sometimes its MORE than retail, but i buy on discount when its sometimes 1/4 retail or less) - so you could always buy two copies for the same price, and there is your MP.