1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Linux Operating Systems for home pc users

Discussion in 'General Software' started by keakar, Jul 16, 2007.

1. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    has anyone found them to be simple and easy to use?

have you tried using linux operating system lately?

tell use about your experience with it

Kursah says thanks.
  2. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ubuntu is awesome! I haven't gotten around to officially installing it yet, but I've use it in a Virtual PC and Live-CD all the time! The only thing I DON'T like is that I haven't gotten the wireless to work on the desktop or laptop yet. Other than that, I suggest Ubuntu to start out with.

3. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    I wish I could speak about Ubuntu, the last time I was into Linux was back with Red Hat 1 from 1995, then later on Red Hat 5, as well as the mid-ages of FreeBsD and Caldera.

It really depends on what you're going for.

It could be said Linux is no longer a 'geek' only tool. The OS(s) are more and more adaptable and stable, yet problems arise with copyright issues for certain applications/manufacturers. OpenSource success lies in public support.

Now is a good time I would imagine, to get involved, but it still takes a bit of research and orientation to make the most of it.

Fortunatley, there's a plethora of guides and "how-to" out there, and Linux users love to bring n00bies over from the darkside of Windows :)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  4. Atech New Member

Thanks Received:
    That depends what you call "simple and easy"

If you define simple and easy as bad habits that you've grown up with, then elegant environments will never be "simple and easy".

I find Linux to be incredibly intuitive when compared with Windows.

5. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    i really like Linux but i thing it isn't' to anyone an example there isn't a network place you have to start and set the samba(i was about 2 hours to find my network) and you don't want to know what is necessary to install a program(for me Linux lizard was a rubbish in frond of windows wizards i love the way os x install just throw the where ever you want)

p.s.the suse 10 is the best for a new user or knoppel

6. bigboi86

bigboi86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is that what you meant?

I like SuSE. It has a nice interface and plenty of options. It is easy for an average user to do most tasks.

7. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes thank you for correcting me. i still use my Greek grammar and it's not English compatible
    so everything i write it might be Greek to you... :)

p.s.you could say it better i really thank you for correcting me

8. bigboi86

bigboi86 New Member

Thanks Received:

It was just hard to read for me :p

No problem.

9. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've tried Ubuntu. I can say it was much lighter than XP on resources, but I ended up getting rid of it, I just like Windows better. It's probably because I'm more use to it. However, if you have an old computer, Linux would be a good alternative.

10. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I hear Ubuntu or maybe a program for Ubuntu allows the use of some windows compatable programs/games? What about hardware support for my x1950pro, C2D, P5B Deluxe...? How well does all of that work? I've heard a lot of Ubuntu, but never really looked into it, I don't mind Vista, but I don't love it either, granted I'm not interested to going back to XP either. So I'm kind of considering looking into a good Linux based alternative that would be good for me. I like to use all sorts of benches, games, utilities, and I just like things to work. Right now on my Vista x32, I have everything working great, it took a little work at first (but then proper drivers and updates came out that helped).

I am curious to find out how well other's enjoyed OS's such as Ubuntu, I did try FreeBSD a looonnngg time ago, there wasn't much for support, I couldn't even get on the web with it at the time. It was neat, but I couldn't do anything so I got rid of it and got XP Pro. If I could find a decent Linux based OS that has good support, a decent UI, and wouldn't give me hell, I'd probably at least give it a whirl and see how I liked it. I will keep watching this thread because I'm interested to see other's views. Thanks for starting it Keakar!

11. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ahh I just remembered why I gave up on Ubuntu, it wouldn't support our widescreen monitor (on intel integrated). Kursah, I know how you feel man, it takes forever to get Vista the way you want, but after that it's easy. Except for the fact i BSOD whenever I come back from sleep....but I just need to update drivers. Oh and support, don't count on it from the vendor, but there are alot of people on the web that can help you (aka google). Another thing I didn't like was the whole thing with command line...just hated it....alot.

12. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Believe it or not, I've found the newest versions of Fedora (6 and 7, basically) to be very easy to use. They even automatically recover from stupid users, setting incompatible options, in some of the .conf files. Xorg.conf come to mind immediately. (Gee, I wonder how I know this? :roll: )

13. strick94u

strick94u New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have had no problem using a hardware based pcmcia card on my laptop for wireless (cisco 350 ) its very nice since battry time is double.

14. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    I run Fedora 6, now for most people thats simply too hard to setup initially. But with a bit of basic knowledge its not really hard at all. Now getting things like high end video and such to work is another story but.

Overall, I have my video working great, sounds working well, even play some games and some emulated. Runs really well, really secure, and FAST! Makes windows look like a dog, even when doing things as simple as surfing the net.

15. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    so lets update everyone one what is available and easy to use for the average guy.

i see lots of readers but there must be more linux users out there.

16. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator), has nothing to do with Ubuntu though, just Linux.

17. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I'm still debating taking the plunge. I am planning on attempting Ubuntu 7.04, and I did try to install the regular ISO i386 graphical version or whatever to no avail, after I clicked install, my screen would go blank until I pressed the restart button. I came to find that it may have to do with my vid card, so I downloaded the "alternate" text based installer. I was preparing for install when I found that there is no support for X-Fi, or very little. I must have sound for tunes/movies/games. I would really like to tune XP for gaming and use Ubunto for a little gaming and the rest of the stuff I do on my PC.

Any tips suggestions before I take the plunge? Which I'm still debating. So far I'm not impressed, but I do understand to an extent of my situation. I've heard so much good about Linux OS's, until I started searching stuff for Ubuntu after the blank screen deal, now I see a lot of problems, issues, and hassles. I can easily get XP working the way I want and stable. But I'm still curious, and am willing to partition a section of my HDD for this linux OS, but if I can't get decent video output to my LCD widescreen or get sound, then I don't think I'll waste my time yet.

Thanks in advance, and I do hope that there are some proven solutions I can have ready for when I do take the plunge. I will keep reading through Ubuntu forums and check back for responses.

:toast:

18. konochan

konochan New Member

Thanks Received:
    ubuntu, kubuntu, suse, and gentoo

19. 7mm

7mm

Thanks Received:
    Ubuntu / Kubuntu / Xubuntu Has All The Stuff That One Might With Desire To Digg With New Tech, Ease of Use OR Has An Older Hardware To Deal With. Though There Are Few Other That Can Do The Job Equally Good. Try Mint Linux, It's Based On Ubuntu & It Has KDE Based Flavour Too. What I Specially Like About This OS Is, It Doen't Have The Restrictions That Ubuntu Comes Default With. So It's More Like Ready To Use OS & Also Uses Ubuntu Rpositories (Free Softeare Downloads), So It's Very Easy & No Hassle OS AllToGather. Also You Could Try PCLinuxOS2007, It's Good Too.