• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for a reliable hardware-based RAID 5 enclosure under $200

I don't care about speed. I do care about redundancy. I also care about convenience.

I know RAID5 is not a replacement for backups. However, it is better than nothing. When you have 20+ TB of data that is growing every day, having a complete duplicate of all this gets really expensive.

I was thinking that if I RAID5'd it then at least I have redundancy for a minimal extra cost (25% more cost instead of 100% more for double the disks).

Of course, if two drives fail on a 4 drive RAID5 then I don't lose just half of the data (if they were just a bunch of disks not RAIDed then you would lose only half because you still have two working drives), but instead because of the RAID you would experience total irreversible catastrophic data loss. So that's a concern.

Here's my situation:
About 4tb of my 20TB is irreplaceable. The remaining is recoverable, but of course doing so would be am immense project. I don't have a ton of money to go buy uber expensive $1000+ boxes just to RAID my drives, and I also don't have the money to buy double the disks for zero increase in storage space (to be used only as backup drives). The latter would be ideal, if money was no limitation. But alas, money is a limitation. Speed doesn't matter at all to me as most of the data is rarely accessed, things like backups of websites and projects and videos that are now on youtube, etc. But the data is still important. I just don't access it all that much.

What do you suggest? Is RAID5 the right way to go with this?
If so, then what is the best affordable (under $200) RAID enclosure that can hold at least 4 or 5 4TB+ drives?
Or, if not, what do you suggest to do? I am open to ideas and opinions on what to do as long as you know what you're talking about.

UPDATE: I would also be open to some sort of controller card since I have room inside my PC for many drives. I just don't know anything about controller cards which is why I was hoping an enclosure would make it all easier.

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I know RAID5 is not a replacement for backups. However, it is better than nothing. When you have 20+ TB of data that is growing every day, having a complete duplicate of all this gets really expensive.
Oh really? 20TB+ of data that's still growing? I smell shenanigans.

If for some reason you're serious, an external RAID enclosure may not be enough for your needs depending on how many drives you're planning have having in RAID. I take it you have the drives already setup in some kind of configuration to store your data as it stands right now? You need to get *all* of your data off the drives that are to be used as RAID in order to setup RAID and initialize.

Oh really? 20TB+ of data that's still growing? I smell shenanigans.

If for some reason you're serious, an external RAID enclosure may not be enough for your needs depending on how many drives you're planning have having in RAID. I take it you have the drives already setup in some kind of configuration to store your data as it stands right now? You need to get *all* of your data off the drives that are to be used as RAID in order to setup RAID and initialize.

??? Why would I make that up??? Of course I am serious. Else why would I be asking the question???

And no I do not have any configuration right now, they are just separate drives.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
The terrible reviews, assuming you are talking about the ones on newegg, are all controller related. One says the ports went bad, but I've been using two of these plugged into one card for just about a year now and not had any issues. The other bad review is because of the controller causing the controller to hang on a computer restart. And this is a known issue with Highpoint cards, and they have a easy to apply work around, and it rarely affects people. I had it happen to one out of the 5 machines I tested it on. If you run into the issues you just flash the firmware with the /c command switch to configure the firmware before it is flashed and then you disable the INT13 and Reallocate EBDA options in the firmware.

But really, they are good enclosures. The fan keeps the drives cool, the drive trays are basic but work well. I will say the power button on the front is a little cheap feeling(so I do agree with that one review that mentions that). But since I'm not turning them on and off that often it doesn't bother me.

The terrible reviews, assuming you are talking about the ones on newegg, are all controller related. One says the ports went bad, but I've been using two of these plugged into one card for just about a year now and not had any issues. The other bad review is because of the controller causing the controller to hang on a computer restart. And this is a known issue with Highpoint cards, and they have a easy to apply work around, and it rarely affects people. I had it happen to one out of the 5 machines I tested it on. If you run into the issues you just flash the firmware with the /c command switch to configure the firmware before it is flashed and then you disable the INT13 and Reallocate EBDA options in the firmware.

But really, they are good enclosures. The fan keeps the drives cool, the drive trays are basic but work well. I will say the power button on the front is a little cheap feeling(so I do agree with that one review that mentions that). But since I'm not turning them on and off that often it doesn't bother me.

Controller is the most important part of the box! If the controller is crap then so is the box!

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
??? Why would I make that up??? Of course I am serious. Else why would I be asking the question???

And no I do not have any configuration right now, they are just separate drives.
So how do you plan on migrating your data? I think that's a bigger concern if you're using the same drives you have. I also do feel it is a little strange to have 20TB of data as a standard consumer and you do have a reputation of making erroneous threads, so I'm just treading lightly.

We have a Synology box at work which seems to be pretty solid. They're expensive but they're rock solid.
https://www.synology.com/en-us/

Maybe you can enlighten us with how your drives are setup now and the kind of free space you have available and we might be able to help you strategize a plan for migration.

Also you said this:
what is the best affordable (under $200) RAID enclosure that can hold at least 4 or 5 4TB+ drives?
Problem is you get what you pay for and that's not a very big budget. A little more money and an AM1 machine might make more sense using something like MDADM and a cheap sata controller (not RAID card).

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Controller is the most important part of the box! If the controller is crap then so is the box!

I haven't had any issues with the card, I've been using Highpoint cards for years, their cards are good. The main issue with their cards are the boot hangs, and if it affects you it is documented how to fix.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
I haven't had any issues with the card, I've been using Highpoint cards for years, their cards are good. The main issue with their cards are the boot hangs, and if it affects you it is documented how to fix.
+1

There's lots of good options for this, and using a Highpoint card to get the job done sounds like a realistic solution to keep it in such an unrealistic budget IMHO.

Off-Topic, but related to the OP:

I would recommend strongly questioning the validity of the request, comprehension and legitimacy of the OP. Please refer to the thread he created after this thread, and it was recently shut down. User account info is blocked, making me wonder if a ban has been put in effect as well??? Either way, I'd tread lightly with this user and his requests here.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...rt-of-a-dedicated-server.210492/#post-3251010

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
If you have that much data and it is growing you need to start thinking about business level hardware. Could you imagine having to replace 20+ TB of data ?

Also off topic, It's ban hammer time !

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
Do you have access to Thunderbolt ports on your PC?