1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Megaupload finished: Feds shut down file-sharing giant without SOPA

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by MatTheCat, Jan 20, 2012.

1. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    there is a difference between being tried in your country and being extradited to america to face trial against an american company. yes it's their media but if a corporation can reach across borders into your country into your home what can't they do?

the RIAA/MPAA are what's scary here. what they are capable of and willing to do really makes your wonder how far this will go.

2. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Fitseries3 says thanks.
  3. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    And thus no extradition should happen in the first place, and they would be tried in their respective countries.

Only if extradition was not "requested" in the first place. So a bit of a paradox there.

They can't stop the extradition. But had there have been no extradition "requests", they would not have been sent to the US, understandably.

Standing trial within the country has been their first-choice, for obvious reasons. But not for the RIAA/MPAA, because the "quality" of laws, as well as the penalties, vary from country to country. At least with the United States, they have much greater influence with the government.

4. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Whatever I guess it is just fine to steal. Fuck America, Seems to be the talk.

5. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    Imagine a corrupt mayor (now there's an easy task), when he/she is indicted, awaiting trial, could you imagine hearing calls to tear down all motorways and road networks built by him or her during his or her term of office? Now imagine those roadways were digital communication channels, that spanned several countries: I believe we are allowed to question the authority of the FBI to close down the site. On the level of international jurisprudence alone, the ramifications of recent events have not yet come to light.

Insofar as the owners go: they are scumbags, or the media will endeavour to portray them as scumbags, which more or less amounts to the same thing. However, given that many users employed the site for legitimate purposes, there are clearly grounds for separating the proprietors and the sevice they provided, perhaps even grounds for legal action against the US.

Without in any way attempting to justify or provide support to the owners, such questions will necessarily be asked with no intent to cast the US in a poor light or advocate an anti-American stance, at least for my part.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
    heky says thanks.
  6. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    The guy got charged by his country for insider trading - earning him a whopping $1.5 million in stock value - and he got 1 year probation and a $100k fine. NZ Obviously wasnt taking care of the punishment part. Read up on his wiki page, really insightful

7. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    it would probably bemore effective if one of the bastards walked into a library with internet access
    i walk past the first 5 people on their laptops and what do i see
    utorrent
    Utorrent
    youjizz
    The pirate bay
    utorrent
    They try to scare people but all people do is go to a hotspot and download(alot faster too)
    my libary always maxes out my connection;);)

8. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    only coming from you.

i don't disagree the guy was a douche and needed to be punished, but just how far should the MPAA/RIAA be allowed to reach?

heky and KainXS say thanks.
  9. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    Rip
    filesonic is dead now

MY FAVORITE FILE SHARING SITES ARE DEAD NOW

GOD DAMMITWHEN WILL THIS STOP

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  10. GLD

GLD

Thanks Received:
    Sad...there is so many...crummy people in the world. :'(

11. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    The license plates on his cars tell the whole story.

12. NAVI_Z

NAVI_Z New Member

Thanks Received:
    it always has been and will always be about "MONEY". Nuff said.

13. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    I would do the same if i had money to scratch my ass with.

14. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    http://torrentfreak.com/meganomics-the-future-of-follow-the-money-copyright-enforcement-120124/

lilhasselhoffer, heky and digibucc say thanks.