• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVidia, What gives? Seriously?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point is very simple but apparently beyond your cognitive ability.
Hmm, Ok.
(/s)

Anyone who believes that big companies don't exert influence over first take reviewers is a fool, that would be you as you've demonstrated.
Sure, if you say so.
(/s)

Nvidia's mistake was sending an email. They should have simply blacklisted them. If you think that doesn't happen all the time, like I said, you'd be a fool.
For what? HWUB did nothing wrong. This was a very personal attack from a Manager at NVidia to someone who had done no wrong. Nothing. No one has offered even one shred of evidence that shows Steve did anything to wrong or offend NVidia on any level. You and a few others have offered examples where you claim things like this have happened before, but none of those examples compare at all to the situation which is the subject of this thread. In that capacity, you and those other users have failed to provide anything of merit what-so-ever.

And no you can't read reviewer's minds. You don't know what happens behind the scenes.
Except that the evidence has been provided for the public to examine and NVidia themselves back-pedaled. NVidia could have defended their actions and provided evidence to back it up if they had such to offer. But they don't and here we are.

Your assumptions aren't truth. You're not that smart.
Based on that measure, neither are you.

So again, let it go.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
For what? HWUB did nothing wrong. This was a very personal attack from a Manager at NVidia to someone who had done no wrong. Nothing. No one has offered even one shred of evidence that shows Steve did anything to wrong or offend NVidia on any level. You and a few others have offered examples where where you claim things like this have happened before, but none of those examples compare at all to the situation which is the subject of this thread. In that capacity, you and those other users have failed to provide anything of merit what-so-ever.

I do agree Steve did nothing wrong, he did the review in a way we'd all want and even expect - But that's us and our view of it.

I do disagree on one point:
The review DID manage to offend someone at Nvidia, hence the mail being sent out clearly indicating that as motive to even do it in the first place. The one(s) at Nvidia however really didn't think it through (Knee-jerk reaction) as in the possibility of it being made known out in the open which is what happened in reference to what's quoted below.

It's not like HUB did anything intentional to offend or even wrong period, Someone(s) at Nvidia saw it (The review) and reacted that way which was the very start of it.

Except that the evidence has been provided for the public to examine and NVidia themselves back-pedaled. NVidia could have defended their actions and provided evidence to back it up if they had such to offer. But they don't and here we are.

I know one thing that is also fact - De Rizzo is going to take heat from it since his name is in the mail regardless of the reason(s) why.
It's a corporate thing - The blame game, pass the buck..... Can't tell you how many times I've seen it play out in boardrooms in my time.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Sure, Nvidia pulled plenty of dirty tricks over the years. Sure, like the company itself, some of their PRs are bullies and assholes. Bryan Del Rizzo is probably the worst of them.

I don't follow YouTubers. I prefer written reviews. Never seen even a single Hardware Unboxed review… but according to their own tweet:

View attachment 179679

There is no denial.

What the hell is "focusing on rasterization"? Ray tracing is the current biggest thing, and being pushed in all AAA titles. It is not an exclusive feature, it is being discussed for over a decade now.

If they want to stick to DOS gaming that's their business, but they cannot expect RTX samples. It's like letting vegetarian review meat-based meals.

I hope they send him samples of GeForce 2 MX200 AGP in every launch from now on.

..... What?

All games right now use rasterization, RTX is the setting on top if you have a 2080ti or above and like 30FPS gameplay.
You do not hand out review samples and demand reviews be done exactly one way and one way only... that's marketing, not a review.

RTX is exclusive. Barely any titles support it. It's not the same as DirectX or Vulcan ray tracing at all... and all those games that support those methods? Oh, still rasterized for all the graphics before ray tracing of any flavour goes on top.

You just said that "No we dont care about 3D performance in 3D games on 3D graphics cards, we only care about ultra settings in our sponsored titles with regards to this one setting only"

You think TPU would review all these cards without free samples? Every single FE, Asus, Aourus, EVGA, etc etc etc etc FOR EVERY SINGLE MODEL? You think the smaller reviewers are going to as well?
No, they RELY on these samples... and being threatened to review them a certain way means that all reviews are identically faked and useless, or the cards don't get reviewed at all.
You think it was an accident the FE cards had these special review requirements, and they launched before the AIB cards?

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
..... What?

All games right now use rasterization, RTX is the setting on top if you have a 2080ti or above and like 30FPS gameplay.
You do not hand out review samples and demand reviews be done exactly one way and one way only... that's marketing, not a review.

RTX is exclusive. Barely any titles support it. It's not the same as DirectX or Vulcan ray tracing at all... and all those games that support those methods? Oh, still rasterized for all the graphics before ray tracing of any flavour goes on top.

You just said that "No we dont care about 3D performance in 3D games on 3D graphics cards, we only care about ultra settings in our sponsored titles with regards to this one setting only"

You think TPU would review all these cards without free samples? Every single FE, Asus, Aourus, EVGA, etc etc etc etc FOR EVERY SINGLE MODEL? You think the smaller reviewers are going to as well?
No, they RELY on these samples... and being threatened to review them a certain way means that all reviews are identically faked and useless, or the cards don't get reviewed at all.
You think it was an accident the FE cards had these special review requirements, and they launched before the AIB cards?

DXR is considered a graphical setting that is on top of the normal Ultra settings, because it does provide better visual.

So that beg a question, why HUB arbitrarily decide to benchmark at the Ultra setting only, now that AMD hardware also support DXR. This is just cherry picking benchmarks. Their excuse is that DXR takes away too much performance is not a valid excuse, as you are trading performance for visual with every setting in game.

HUB also actively cherry picking benchmarks to prove their point, they said 6800XT get like 1/2 the fps of 3080 in Crysis Remastered and voila, that game is not in the benchmark list (yes it's a terrible game, but so do God-awfull-fall and Dirt 5).

HUB tried very hard to convey to people that 16GB VRAM is the future, yet the 8GB VRAM on the 3070 do just fine, it just takes a little bit of performance here and there. I'm sure had they included DXR benchmark, 3070 is just as fast as RX6800.

System Name SYBARIS
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI Arsenal Gaming B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
Memory Team T-Force Delta RGB 2x8GB 3200CL16
Video Card(s) Colorful GeForce RTX 2060 6GV2
Storage Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB | Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB | WD My Passport Slim 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 24" 144hz IPS
Case Montech Air ARGB
Audio Device(s) Massdrop + Sennheiser PC37X | QKZ x HBB
Power Supply Corsair CX650-F
Mouse Razer Viper Mini | Cooler Master MM711 | Logitech G102 | Logitech G402
Keyboard Drop + The Lord of the Rings Dwarvish
Software Windows 10 Education 22H2 x64
I'm done engaging in a circle with bad faith arguments.

OTOH BDR sent another apology to HWUB. Check their Twitter. I think they saw that the people understood the first role-reversal email was not an apology. So BDR sent another email with bunch of sorry sorry sorry. But conspicuously asked HWUB to share the email with their fans lol.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Ray tracing is the next evolution of video game graphics.

Look how awesome Cyberpunk 2077 looks with it:

It makes more visual impact than 2K or 4K.

Now, the problem with this thread is the following quote by Hardware Unboxed:

"Their reasoning is that we are focusing on rasterization instead of ray tracing."

If it's not true, different wording should been used to indicate Nvidia's reasoning isn't true to begin with… such as: claim, accuse, falsely, etc.

No, it is not obvious. That quote means Nvidia's reasoning is in fact true and Hardware Unboxed deserves this:

A single word in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Last edited:
System Name SYBARIS
Storage Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB | Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB | WD My Passport Slim 1TB
Case Montech Air ARGB
System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
So hes sorry he got caught and promises to be sneakier from now on

He shouldn't have even sent the first email at all :kookoo:
Too many PR fuckup these days from both Nvidia and AMD

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
System Name SYBARIS
Case Montech Air ARGB
^ :kookoo: :laugh:

Seriously the thread has already been derailed. The original narrative was a corporation tried to blackmail a reviewer to blackball them unless they sing praises for the corporation's shiny new feature. Now the thread is full with people who claim who don't care about the "drama" so to speak (or the party involved) coming in and arguing the merits of the feature and taking any slight against the corporation personally.

I'm truly done with the discussion now. HWUB said in their tweet that they will now move on. So am I. Idc if HWUB is a shill or Nvidia is the devil in people's perspective, I'm not white knight going around defending people's honor (my god corporations are people too you know!). Unwatching the thread.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Ugh. I'm not choosing sides in this hot garbage. I won't do that to myself again. AFAIC every party involved is going to look after their own interests first every day of the week.

I buy the whole RT/DXR thing for sure. I think it has a lot of potential and is probably going to be here to stay. I firmly believe that in better hands (or just, in MORE hands,) it could do more for visuals in games than anything has in a long time. But this ain't it, Jack! I want to see this stuff succeed and become more accessible. Nvidia wants the last word on not just RT, but all graphics technology. Without them, we probably wouldn't even be talking about it, but great got damn do we ever need it to not just be them pushing it. Anyone but them at this point. They'll kill the whole thing just as quickly and sloppily as they dragged it writhing and gasping out of the incubation chamber. Accessibility is problem number one, but for them it is almost by design. I don't get how they can't see that this pushes people away from the whole thing. I swear, they will see it advance as slowly as possible, fluff it up as much as they can, and do everything in their power to keep the market cornered. They are the masters of commodifying graphics in games. And people will buy it because they feel like it is all they've got. Sometimes that might even be true! Plenty of companies out there probably have wet dreams about screwing the market like they do.

But I also think these situations are largely organic. The dependencies that the whole media structure on the review side entail open the door for all of this crap. Any time the stakes are high enough, you can expect all sorts of coercion and friction to bubble up, from all parties involved. There are never any clean hands to be found if you look hard enough. I don't see an easy way around that without some sort of centralized mediation. One that doesn't make or sell anything. One that has no stake in media outcomes. Doesn't even vet or 'fact-check' things (dangerous power in itself.) All that it does is ensure equitable terms for transfer of samples and publishing of reviews. An industry-wide standard for hardware reviews. The hardest part is that it has to run on incentive rather than punishment. Both manufacturers and reviewers operate on incentives - no sugar-coating that. Consumers do, too. So the question is how to incentivize them to collaborate fairly and not be crappy about things. Elevate this whole thing so that it's good for reviewers, consumers, and manufacturers. Kinda getting tired of the 3 going at each other. Just looking at this thread, it doesn't seem productive. More like a running theme where nothing really changes, no matter how many times it is called for.

How? Hell if I know. I just know that I'd be elated if all of the grandstanding, strong-arming, and finger-pointing went away forever. I'm talking unilaterally. Right now, everything is sort of wild-west. Thanos would know what to do. To me, it's all a mess. I comb benchmarks and ditch the rest. Any more than that just feels like a waste of my time.

Last edited:
System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
I don't agree, but it is what it is and it has been for a long, long time. I don't believe anything can be done about it, as an outsider looking in.

Besides.. Steve buys his own cards does he not? He seems to be doing ok..

Yes and no. When certain companies won't play ball and send Steve products to review because they didn't like what he said about past products (ASRock blacklisting him comes to mind), he buys them himself with the help of donations from his Patreons.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Memory 32 GB 3600 MT/s CL16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64
Storage 2x 500 GB SSD, 2x 3 TB HDD
Case Phanteks P300A
Software Manjaro Linux, W10 if I have to
Doesn't mean it is true or heartfelt, it's major suckage so Nvidia doesn't appear bad to the public.
Is HWU going to issue a similar public apology for having a public tanty and wetting the bed?
What do you think HWUB should have done? To me going public is the only way to avoid being strong armed.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
If NV didn't think they have crossed the line with HWUB or what NV said in the email was a right thing to do, there would have not been any retraction letter. Also, if HWUB would have crossed any line they would have not went public with it.
I take it that way.

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
Yeah, just saw that. They still need to see this. They only backpedaled because of outrage. They need to see and understand that a fundamental change needs to happen within the NVidia ranks. Mr Leather Jacket himself needs to pull NVidias head out of the sand & out their ass and behave better.
They are unhappy that AMD finally has a graphics architecture RDNA2's that's highly competitive. But let's not kid ourselves, this is Nvidia, the same company that tried to force feed there GPP onto companies. GPP clearly represented anti- gaming, anti- consumerism & anti- competition trates.
For those that might say that was not anti- gaming, tell that to the gamers that game with Radeon graphics cards.

It's the same old Nvidia bully, doing what they usually do, Bully.

Nvidia is probably one of the most popular video card makers in the world they usally have pretty high quality stuff. It just so happens it is nvidia that is inside the nintendo switch and switch lite. I don't know what the big deal is here or what Nvidia did wrong.
Let me guess, you also think Nvidia's GPP was also OK too right? Honest question.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
HUB also actively cherry picking benchmarks to prove their point

1608109258117.png

Sure are, they put DLSS results in the same context with native results for the 6900XT.

Oh, wait. Crap. That made Nvidia look good, sorry. The green card is on top, so it can't be cherry picking.

Man, you never miss a chance to show just how delusional you are.

"Next" ?

I though it was already here. :kookoo:

Last edited:
System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
You know, after Valantar devolved into personal attacks with his nonsense post, where he also revealed his role as a "media analyst" aka social media monitor / propaganda artist / marketing lacky / messaging control, I was just not going to respond.

But now here you are, playing your childish game. You guys are the forum thugs here, every forum has them. He called Nvidia the media mob, what a hypocrite.

These are corporations and they don't play by your make believe double standards, they never have and they never will.

Nvidia's only mistake here was sending an email - they should have just kept their mouths shut - Like AMD mostly did.

Oh, didn't think about that?

AMD withheld the R9 Nano from Techreport and KitGuru. Quite likely others. This is a few magnitudes of order bigger media outlet than that pea shooter two guys in a back bedroom with a camcorder HW unboxed channel.

Doesn't fit with your media control narrative? So sad..

2015 AMD witholds samples from KitGuru :

And did the same thing to TechReport :

Oh heck lets just tear them up. AMD bribed people to crash an Nvidia event. They still have these groups in operation. Team Red is a real thing. It is basically a propaganda / disinformation campaign, part of their marketing department. Email pic and article from Forbes below.

Now, this I would say, is playing dirty. Really unethical.

Are you dumb enough to think they have changed? Just a question.

Who is it Valantar works for now?

View attachment 179721

Wait, personal attacks? Where? How? I'd love for you to give some examples. I have criticized and argued against your reasoning, arguments and way of presenting them. I haven't said a word about you as a person, your motivations or your character.

Also, please work on your reading comprehension. I didn't say "media analyst" (and I wholeheartedly agree that that, as well as most titles involving the word "analyst", has a significant degree of BS baked in), I said "media researcher", as in a researcher working within media studies at a university level. (And no, I'm not trying to brag or assert some sort of authority through saying this, I'm bringing it up purely because you claimed that I didn't understand how media biases are formed, which warranted a response.) Taking a bit of care when reading the posts of the people you're debating would be helpful, I think, as well as what I said before:
Please check your condescending BS at the door.
As for that AMD marketing stuff:
- The R9 Nano debacle was widely discussed around the internet. While AMD was indeed pretty shitty in not seeding it widely for review, it's a little understandable seeing how that GPU was never a mainstream product in the first place, but one of the few premium niche GPUs ever released. The same can't be said for the RTX 3060 Ti, after all. Does that mean that AMD's behaviour in that situation was acceptable? Of course not.

- That T-shirt stunt, whether true or not, seems emblematic of the extremely childish PR AMD RTG has been known for over the past 5 or so years, which thankfully seems to be changing. GN has done a couple of excellent videos on this, and it's not exactly a secret. I've never said that I don't find AMD's marketing tactics problematic either, just that what Nvidia is doing here is far more ethically problematic. Why? Because Nvidia is explicitly telling HWUB that "unless you review our products the way we want you to, you won't be getting any more review samples." That additional nuance - even compared to the AMD example with KitGuru - makes a significant difference, precisely because of the specificity of their demands. The AMD-Kitguru example was broad enough that it might encompass editorial content, commentary, industry analysis, or a ton of other stuff that a tech site might cover. Nvidia explicitly and specifically said that review content needed to conform to their wishes. Of course consciously biased editorial content or industry analysis is also BS that any media outlet with an ounce of self respect would balk at, but explicitly influencing review content is worse due to its direct link to readers' purchase decisions.

There's also an argument to be made regarding the relative clout of the companies in question - Nvidia has a clearly dominant market position, meaning they have more power to abuse, and as such abuses of power from them are fundamentally more problematic. That doesn't mean that abuses of power from weaker players are unproblematic by any means, but having less power to abuse, they also have less opportunity to actually exert undue influence.
The point is very simple but apparently beyond your cognitive ability.

Anyone who believes that big companies don't exert influence over first take reviewers is a fool, that would be you as you've demonstrated.

Nvidia's mistake was sending an email. They should have simply blacklisted them. If you think that doesn't happen all the time, like I said, you'd be a fool.

And no you can't read reviewer's minds. You don't know what happens behind the scenes. Your assumptions aren't truth. You're not that smart.
Now who is resorting to personal attacks? Please chill out man. We were having an on-topic debate here.

Nobody here has said that reviewers are fundamentally unbiased, or that companies don't influence them. We've just argued that this bias is both visible enough and accounted for to a sufficient degree to not be a problem in many cases (while also acknowledging that there are some very obviously biased people creating tech content out there, though few I would call journalists or reviewers). That obviously doesn't mean it's not worth discussing - quite the opposite! - but this is what I meant by
bombastic and all-encompassing black-and-white conclusions.
Nobody here has said that blacklisting doesn't happen, nor that it's okay when it happens behind the scenes (which you are more than implying). Also, Nvidia didn't send an email - they responded after HWUB contacted them four or five times asking what had happened. At that point a non-response would have been rather obvious too.

As for reading reviewers' minds: that's not necessary. Most professional reviewers' reasoning is directly accounted for when discussing their review methodologies, and while there is of course the possibility of hidden biases not included in this, that's where one can apply their own judgement as to whether the priorities and choices made by reviewers seem to make sense. You're significantly underestimating the ability of even a casual reader to identify biases in what they are reading. Hiding your biases well is extremely difficult, which is why most propaganda is woefully transparent, so you're also overestimating the proficiency of tech reviewers in being duplicitous. As I said, they're mostly quite ordinary people, and most ordinary people are not very good liars. Being a tech journalist or youtuber isn't likely to significantly increase how good you are at lying or hiding your biases.

Look how awesome Cyberpunk 2077 looks with it:

It makes more visual impact than 2K or 4K.

Now, the problem with this thread is the following quote by Hardware Unboxed:

"Their reasoning is that we are focusing on rasterization instead of ray tracing."

If it's not true, different wording should been used to indicate Nvidia's reasoning isn't true to begin with… such as: claim, accuse, falsely, etc.

No, it is not obvious. That quote means Nvidia's reasoning is in fact true and Hardware Unboxed deserves this:

A single word in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.
Sorry, but no. An accusation does not automatically become true unless explicitly challenged. You are not assumed guilty until proven otherwise. Also, in my opinion you're reading this wrong: "their reasoning is" says nothing more than "they think we...". It says nothing about the truth or falsehood of the claim, it only comments on their reasoning alone. They could have chosen to word this in a way like you suggest, but not doing so isn't the tacit agreement with Nvidia's reasoning that you are claiming it to be. That sentence in no way agrees with Nvidia's reasoning or accept the premises presented. For it to be that, they would have needed to say something like "Nvidia disagrees with our choice to focus on rasterization instead of ray tracing".

Which, just because it bears repeating, isn't something HWUB has done - quite the opposite!

And again, regardless of that, Nvidia has no business policing the editorial policies of reviewers. That clearly doesn't stop them trying both explicitly like this or implicitly like a ton of other examples. Nor does it stop everyone else in the industry from doing so - that's a large part of the job of a PR department after all, to make their company look as good as possible in whatever ways possible. That still doesn't mean that shit like this is even remotely acceptable.

Whether or not RT is the future of game graphics is entirely irrelevant to this debate. I think it has a lot of merit, and that Nvidia deserves a lot of praise for bringing it to the market (though how they did this is worthy of some criticism), but ... so what? How is that relevant here?

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Memory 32 GB 3600 MT/s CL16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64
Storage 2x 500 GB SSD, 2x 3 TB HDD
Case Phanteks P300A
Software Manjaro Linux, W10 if I have to
I want to highlight one thing which is critical to this issue:

Why? Because Nvidia is explicitly telling HWUB that "unless you review our products the way we want you to, you won't be getting any more review samples." That additional nuance - even compared to the AMD example with KitGuru - makes a significant difference, precisely because of the specificity of their demands.

Processor Reasonably good Intel CPU
Motherboard Eh, the cheapest ATX that supports the processor
Cooling Big ass Noctua always a good thing to have
Memory Cheapest 32GB kit for my needs
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage NVME 2x, SSD 2x, HDD 1x
Display(s) Dual monitor 1080p for life!
Case NZXT Flow
Audio Device(s) ALC something-something
Power Supply Good ol' Corsair
Mouse Good ol' Corsair
Keyboard Cheap Logitech wireless keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro
I used to work for Nvidia APAC region, but it's been 8 years ago so things might not be relevant anymore. All I know is that we do prioritize which media to give our partner's product (Nvidia doesn't sell direct before) and given the situation in my country, everybody back then was just happy to receive review sample although it's given on rotation to other media (the less popular you are, the later you got the sample).

It is very very very strange for Nvidia to blacklisted HWU, given the amount of subscribers HWU has. As far as I know, Nvidia is very "metric aware" and definitely knows HWU subscribers and influence it has in the community. I'm more leaning towards somebody in the PR team had personal grudge with HWU and went their merry way to take HWU down.

Now I wonder if Nvidia still employs PR company to handle media engagement, it could be that somebody in the PR company that's playing the power game. At least back then, we use PR company, and there are some questionable things the PR company do on Nvidia behalf. So I will not rule that out.

I still buy Nvidia products, thinking to upgrade my 2070S to 3070Ti or whatever 3070 upgrade is called. This incidents dampens my intention, but still... Even though we parted ways, I'm still a big fan of the company's product.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Now I wonder if Nvidia still employs PR company to handle media engagement,
We still deal with BDR and another guy directly...and we're nowhere near TPU's size. That said, not sure if those smaller than us deal with a PR co. or not.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
It is very very very strange for Nvidia to blacklisted HWU, given the amount of subscribers HWU has. As far as I know, Nvidia is very "metric aware" and definitely knows HWU subscribers and influence it has in the community. I'm more leaning towards somebody in the PR team had personal grudge with HWU and went their merry way to take HWU down.

Now I wonder if Nvidia still employs PR company to handle media engagement, it could be that somebody in the PR company that's playing the power game. At least back then, we use PR company, and there are some questionable things the PR company do on Nvidia behalf. So I will not rule that out.

As to what's bolded in the quote:
Exactly what I had been thinking right before you made the post.

In this hypothetical instance they would already know there would be blowback and who would get it.
It's a weaponized form of boardroom tactics to move someone out of the way for their own personal ambition(s) and yes, in reality I've known of instances like this to have happened in my time.

With such an individual, "Self" takes precidence over all including the company's image and that's because the person orchestrating it won't have to deal with the heat like the one that will, in this case it would be Del Rizzo if so.

They say the business world is "Dog Eat Dog" and unfortunately that carries right into the boardroom too - In fact, some of you involved with such things know boardroom fights can quickly go beyond just NASTY...... I would dare say vicious doesn't even come close as a descriptor at times.
If there was any reason for it to happen, whether conspired by a contemporary or even an underling looking for a path up the ladder that would be reason enough to such an individual.

And have to say with such a person it could be HUB's review was an opportunity to accomplish two objectives at once - An attempt to take down HUB and to also get Del Rizzo out of the way via the corporate blame game.
No way anyone at Nvidia with half a brain could have thought this wouldn't come out in the open but it did (As fact) and if so, was probrably expected or even meant to in the end and whomever wrote the mail made sure it was worded "Just right" to make it happen if this is really the case here.

That fellow board member you mentored for all those years shook your hand with his right and had been holding a knife to stab you in the back in his left hand when the perfect opportunity presented itself.
Happens all the time in the world of business.

Mind you, like the post I quoted this is simple speculation and really means nothing in reality except that it's a personal thought I had.....
But one that is based in the reality of what I've heard, witnessed and even been involved with before personally.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rei

No, it is not obvious. That quote means Nvidia's reasoning is in fact true
you and those other users have failed to provide anything of merit what-so-ever.
Yes, yes.

@Regeneration
Can you provide information and facts that actually support your position? All you seem to be doing is flapping your trap about nothing-sauce, poorly might I add.

Status
Not open for further replies.