1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OEM PC Upgrade, Help Needed (Monitor Not Reading System)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by T4C Fantasy, Apr 20, 2013.

1. T4C Fantasy

T4C Fantasy CPU & GPU DB Maintainer

Thanks Received:
    ok so I bought a new psu and gpu for a ASUS CM6730-08, comes with a P8H61-M PRO/CM6630 mobo, core i7-3770 and a GT 630 gpu / 220 watt psu, I got a GTX 660 ti and a thermaltake 600 watt psu, I installed both of them and the system turns on lights and fans all of it, but the monitor doesn't read that the system is on, icleared cmos, removed battery, and still nothing, not even the dedicated gpu is reading it, also when I put back the old psu and old gpu it still doesn't read on the monitor, so wtf is going on? also the mobo makes no beeps or anything that would lead me to think theres an error. FUCK I hate oem pcs

FYI, I hate oem systems, its my father in laws and he wants to play second life with max settings.

http://www.asus.com/Desktops/Essentio_CM6730/
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  2. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    The usual first step is to remove every single cable/cards from the motherboard except the ATX and the CPU powers. No fans, keyboards or mouse, no GTX660, no LEDs, no HDD/SSD, etc... so nothing.
  3. T4C Fantasy

Thanks Received:
    ? how will this help?

I did remove all of those thigns of course when I removed the powersupply but when I installed the new shit I plugged everything in right away then turned on
  4. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    You probably already did it; but, I would check all the connections and make sure one is not dis-lodged; and, that I had connected all (inside and out... power, data, video, etc.) back properly.
    And, then, I would go through the bios settings and see if there is maybe something that is set wrong. Forget this you haz no monitor output.
    Check the monitor cable and try turning off and on the monitor while system is on.
  5. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Cause sometimes it helps to start with the basics, you are sure that there was no proprietry connections from the PSU to the motherboard?

Try removing RAM sticks and testing each one at a time to rule that out, also remove anything that isn't required to post (dvd drives, pci/pcie cards, HDD etc)

Have you taken the GPU out and hooked it up to the onboard to see if it will post? it may well be that it's set to onboard in bios.

Take battery out and turn PSU power off then press the power button to clear any stored charge and leave battery out for 1 min before trying again.

Failing all those then I would disconnect everything and try what the poster above suggested. I have done many builds and this has helped me a few times, perhaps it was something I overlooked initially.
  6. T4C Fantasy

Thanks Received:
    so far nothing has worked, not even the old psu or gpu show up on monitor... this is like hopeless, I had a similar problem t othis before and I couldn't fix it and somehow as soon as another person got ahold of it for them to fix it al lthey did was turn it on and it worked -.-

I never break my own pcs always seem to break others... how does this even occur in a realm of possibility I didn't do anything different that I would have done for my own pc
  7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Make sure the 4-Pin/8-Pin connector next to the CPU is firmly connected.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  8. wfor1pilot

wfor1pilot New Member

Thanks Received:
    Amen to that ! :banghead:

Looks somewhat new (by the link); what's the warranty status of the product? -Davis
  9. T4C Fantasy

Thanks Received:
    its still in effect but I think opening up the case voids it
  10. wfor1pilot

wfor1pilot New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you not even up-grade the ram w/o voiding the warranty? One would think that would be a reasonable reason to open the case, no?
  11. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    i have the same luck
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. T4C Fantasy

Thanks Received:
    if I bring the pc to the geeksquad at bestbuy what will they beable to do
  13. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Have you unplugged everything and started again from scratch? I know it doesn't make sense to you but this has worked for me in the past.
  14. T4C Fantasy

Thanks Received:
    I actually did try that along with a bunch of different scenarios, and no luck, the only thing I haven't tried is using a different monitor whicvh the manual says is what I should do in a case of no signal on a monitor...... I swear to god if something that simple fixes the problem, hardware developpers need to find out a way so we don't need different monitors to fix shit like this
  15. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    probably overcharge you :p
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. T4C Fantasy

Thanks Received:
    but they would have to fix it first right?

I wont even thing to pay first then find out whats wrong how stupid is that
  17. wfor1pilot

wfor1pilot New Member

Thanks Received:
    Now you'll have two fried monitors ! :slap:
  18. wfor1pilot

wfor1pilot New Member

Thanks Received:
    How 'bout the "spitwad diagnostic" test???

That's where you open the case stand back ten paces and launch a spit wad. Where ever the spit wad lands is the source of the problem. > works 6 outta 10 times !!! :cool:
  19. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    sometimes thats the only option. I have had to take several friends computers to the PC shop not exactly sure what was wrong with them. Paying a nominal fee for a diagnostic service is sometimes worth more than the headache and frustration that can happen over several hours/days of not figuring it out yourself.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    dafuq you on about 2 fried monitors, are you suggesting that somehow his DVI/VGA cable from the GPU has fried his monitor? :slap: <<< you deserve that just from your comment :rolleyes:

Oh I see you just registered today, you sound like a troll, enjoy your short stay :slap:
  21. wfor1pilot

wfor1pilot New Member

Thanks Received:
    I find your comment a bit "curt". :mad: And I thought it was just a "stereotype" that British people have no sense of humor.
    I understand that he has a real problem and true frustration; however, I was just trying to lighten it up a bit.
    xxdozer322 says thanks.
  22. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Oh that's a sense of humour, my bad, seemed like you were being an asshole and not being very helpful, how silly of me :rolleyes:
    PatoRodrigues and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
  23. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    T4C, as a Major Suggestion of steps

Take everything out of that case and put it on a non conductive surface (non metallic bearing cardboard box is good that has a tall height when layed flat (Mobo box)

If that Core i7 has a built in video use it first

install the CPU (with thermal compound- dont over tighten the heatsink mount (board flex causes memory issues)

Install the Ram

Hook up 1 harddrive (First SATA Port)

Hook up 1 optical drive (Second or third SATA Port)

Hook up PSU with all required power connections (If motherboard doesnt have a built in power or reset switch use the ones from the case- motherboard manual). Leave PSU unplugged

Hook up monitor to the port where the Built in Video is (Where the IO ports are on back)

Ensure All connections are fully seated and tight

Reset CMOS/BIOS/UEFI (Follow Motherboard manual)

plug in PSU and turn on power to PSU then power up machine.

if no boot, remove 1 ram module then the other then try 1 in the opposite slot and vice versa. If no boot still remove the Optical drive then HDD
  24. wfor1pilot

wfor1pilot New Member

Thanks Received:
    Those are all great suggestions (and ultimately perhaps his only option) but; before he does all of that, why not try another monitor or at least a different cord? I myself have had cords (especially D-sub) go bad. !?! -Davis
  25. T4C Fantasy

Thanks Received:
    this al sounds like a lot of work and thanks for the suggestions, but me and my father in law decided to go with geek squad, he has the money to spend so he will just spend it on geek squad to fix his pc. I do doubt that those things will change the way the pc boots though... OEM mobos suck man, all of them have limited upgrade potential