1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OEM PC Upgrade, Help Needed (Monitor Not Reading System)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by T4C Fantasy, Apr 20, 2013.

1. T4C Fantasy

T4C Fantasy CPU & GPU DB Maintainer

Thanks Received:
    we brought it to geek squad, i told them everything even that the psu maxes on 23amps on the 12+ rail and the gpu says on box that it needs a 24amp rail on 12+ minium, my father in law did the smart thing when he bought it 25 days ago he got the extended warrenty and tech support package so everything is free to fix this crap system. and i called it, the conclusion was the mobo shorted, they are not 100% positive but before we left thats one of the many limited possibilies. they plan on shipping out the mobo to asus and we will get a new one for free. thank god for extended warrenties.

FYI: i asked geek squad if they knew about techpowerup, and every geek squad employee said Yes!, so i was like so happy, then when i told them that i am the new gpu database editor they were like nice job man! so that lit up my day, this forum is amazing. even bestbuy knows about it!

Ikaruga and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
  2. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:

Pretty much problem solved. PS for those trying to argue in here, Its very pointless to do so.

Yeah I was thinking that- thats why i gave those steps- shorting/grounding causes a failed bootup, Ram causes a Lock at the system bios splash screen or failed boot.

Let us know how it all goes dude

T4C Fantasy says thanks.
  3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I'm not trying to argue but just point out FYI that that isn't how PSUs work. Assuming this is the TR2 600w that they sell at Best Buy, that power supply can supply 46Amps on the 12v rail. Yes, I said rail not rails. This is because even though the label says it has two rails, one at 20A and one at 23A, it is actually just a single 12v rail split with two overcurrent protection circuits.

Also, the minimum requirement on the video card is not an actual requirement, it is a recommendation, and it takes the entire system into account, so the 24A recommendation is for the total 12v capability of the PSU, not just the largest rail. The 660Ti does not draw 24A of power, not anywhere near it. In fact, even at its peak the 660Ti barely crosses 12A.

As for the cause of the problem, a shorted motherboard is very possible. However, I doubt it is actually the motherboard's fault. Especially considering this is standard a off the shelf ASUS board and not a total bottom of the barrel board. I'd have them test the PSU while they are at it. Because from my experience, chances are the PSU might have killed the board. Those TR2 units aren't exactly quality units, I've seen several of them take out systems. I wish more people would pick up the Corsair GS600 that is usually right next to the TR2 on the shelf, but since the TR2 is usually $20 cheaper people go with the TR2 and this is the result.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  4. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    If you have more than one computer of the same socket just remove and test each part to establish "known working" parts. Eventually you will find the culprit. Problem solved in roughly 1 hour. :p

5. wfor1pilot

wfor1pilot New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have a question for T4C: Once you get the computer back won't you still be left w/ the same problem: Your Father in law not being able to play his game? :eek:

6. T4C Fantasy

Thanks Received:
    they are going to put in the 660 ti and psu that he bought

7. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    Probably killed the motherboard static is every-ware and it creeps up and kills unsuspecting components when you least expect it
    taking it to best-buy is the worst thing you can do because there fucking clueless I worked there none of them save me had a dam clue it was so bad that I quit after two weeks
    when they can't find a Obvious cause the first thing they do is start replacing components at random until it works and then slam the customer with the bill
    even if they fix it you are looking at a 300 dollar bill

8. wfor1pilot

wfor1pilot New Member

Thanks Received:
    "The We-Todd (Geek) Squad"?
    I hate to say it but, my thoughts are that: "The VRM" on that board will toast again? :confused:

9. T4C Fantasy

Thanks Received:
    extended warrenty and tech support package covers every bill

10. wfor1pilot

wfor1pilot New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds good / please post up results when it gets finished. Love to know if it all works? -Davis :toast:

11. T4C Fantasy

Thanks Received:
    will do they said 2 to 3 weeks, howevere I may not beable too because the family is going through a crisis right now (totally unrelated)

12. wfor1pilot

wfor1pilot New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to hear that; hope everything is okay. Good luck!

13. idkwho New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi I would love to know how it worked out - were you able to get the psu and gtx gpu to work? Thanks for your reply.

14. T4C Fantasy

Thanks Received:
    well, I haven't been there since, but I assume everything did go as planned because my mom says he still plays second life so he must be using it.