• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[Official] Cooler Master HAF-XB Club!

Here's my 2 cents worth on this case, have to say, ive always used Coolermaster cases, but im especially loving this one, my last one also being a great water cooling case, the CM690 II, but will be sticking with this one until they come out with something better, however this one is gonna be hard to beat, The only mod ive made so far to the case is I removed the 5 bay 2.5" HDD cage from the case and also the small circuit board from behind the 3.5" bays, I didn't trust this too much after i'd heard a couple of stories of some drives being fried by it, I chose to remove it and go for the traditional hook up of my drives instead, ok so ive not got quick release on the drives, TBH, I don't need it.

Just to add one last thing, OMG it was extremely difficult to find a 2 x 80mm radiator for the lower back of the case here in the UK, I eventually found a store which only had 2 left and no intentions of re-stocking them, I quickly grabbed one.

My system consists of a Gigabyte G1 Sniper Motherboard (love this board soooo much), Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.2ghz, 8gb G.Skill Ripjaws (4 sticks) 2 x Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5830's (I know they are old now but still play all the latest games so no need to upgrade yet) Gigabyte Odin 850W PSU, OCZ Agility 3 128gb SSD, WD 500GB Black HDD, Sony DVD R/RW/RAM Drive, Laing DDC pump with Alphacool Plexi Top, 1 x 160mm, 1 x 240mm & 1 x 120mm Radiators, EK extreme Black Acetyl CPU Block and finally a Zalman ZM-MFC2 Fan Controller.

Attachments

• IMAG1294.jpg
    IMAG1294.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 3,770
  • IMAG1293.jpg
    IMAG1293.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 7,785
  • IMAG1292.jpg
    IMAG1292.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 2,623
  • IMAG1291.jpg
    IMAG1291.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 2,617
  • IMAG1290.jpg
    IMAG1290.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 6,214
  • IMAG1289.jpg
    IMAG1289.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 4,060
Last edited:

casetronic

Had no idea a case like this existed until a recent deal came up and couldn't pass it up. I'm not much of a gamer, I just like to tinker with new cases every now and then. Hows that 3.5 rack working out? Did you attach it to the case or just letting hang loose? I'm thinking about doing the same thing, or just installing one of these http://www.xoxide.com/evercool-armor-black.html but that'll mean no internal optical drive - not much of a change for me since I'm currently using a Silverstone FT-03.

atraub

My first build with liquid cooling

Hey everyone,

My current PC is the XCLIO A380BK i.e. this full sized monster:

But, I'm moving to South Korea and I wanted to make my machine smaller and cooler, both in looks and temperature. I'm reusing most of my old components, but I'm upgrading the mobo and cpu because through a twist of fate, I have an i5-2500k cpu just collecting dust! My graphics card is a gtx 260 Black edition which still holds up very well today :D

Because I'm so excited about this new build, I want to implement a liquid cooling system. To keep it simple and cost effective, I'm going to use the XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 kit for this. But I'm new to this so I'm a little concerned. My plan is to put the radiator and fans in the front and then move the included fans into the back for exhaust. If I do that, will my other components suffer from lack of cool air flowing into my machine or will the tubes from my LCS absorb enough ambient heat to take care of that? Would it make sense for me to mount a fan to the top (I'm going with vent rather than the window) for cool air intake? What do you guys think?

This is my third pc build but I'm trying to plan this one out more carefully.

It's so awesome you guys have a fan club for this case. It looks amazing!

EDIT:
Also, sorry if you guys have answered these questions earlier in the thread... 10 pages is a lot to go through.

Last edited:

bogmali

In Orbe Terrum Non Visi
System Name Daily Driver/Part Time
Processor Core i7-13700K/Ryzen R5-7600
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX/Asrock B650 Pro RS Wi-Fi
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT AIO/Deep Cool LS-520 White
Memory Patriot 2x16GB DDR5-7200/XPG Lancer Blade 2X16GB DDR-5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3X OC RTX-4080 Super/Sapphire Radeon RX-7800XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe 2TB/KingSpec XG 7000 4TB M.2 NVMe/Crucial P5 Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW
Case Corsair 5000d AirFlow/Asus AP201 White
Audio Device(s) AudioEngine D1 DAC/Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra 1K Watt/Seagotep 750W
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard Adata XPG Summoner
Software Win11 Pro 64
Benchmark Scores Xbox Live Gamertag=jondonken
Finally got mine put together....

Spades

Processor FX-8350 @ 4.0Ghz
Motherboard ASRock 970 Extreme4
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2X4Go Ballistix Sport 1333 CL9 (10600)
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 780
Storage Kingston V300 Now 120Go (OS) + Seagate Barracuda 1To
Display(s) Asus VX238H
Case CM HAF XB (mod?)
Audio Device(s) -
Power Supply Corsair CX750 Modular
Software Win 7 (8 soon)
Hi everyone! I'm new here and just bought my first desktop PC. Should receive the parts monday or tuesday ^^. Here are the parts I chose :

-AMD FX-8350
-ASRock 970 extreme4
-GTX 780 (Zotac, reference GC)
-8Go (2X4Go) Crucial Ballistix sport
-120go SSD + 1To Barracuda
-750 W Modular PSU

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand...

-HAF XB case! I just fell in love with this cube thingy (had to choose between this and the Prodigy from Bitfenix).

The big question I wanted to ask by coming here is : What do you use to paint the various parts of the case? I'm planning on painting it dark red or with a touch of dark purple, and paint a custom zombie owl design on the side panels. I do not have found any name for it yet, but as soon as the build is complete, I'll upload a bunch of pics. As for my question, what type of paint should I use? Spray paint? (Also, no custom part for me, like I've seen on the Harley Davidson build. I do not have the tools to make such parts ^^'). As for the lighting, I'll aim for something RED (yeah, red every-f***ing-where).

Thanks in advance for your answers ^^

Hi everyone! I'm new here and just bought my first desktop PC. Should receive the parts monday or tuesday ^^. Here are the parts I chose :

-AMD FX-8350
-ASRock 970 extreme4
-GTX 780 (Zotac, reference GC)
-8Go (2X4Go) Crucial Ballistix sport
-120go SSD + 1To Barracuda
-750 W Modular PSU

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand...

-HAF XB case! I just fell in love with this cube thingy (had to choose between this and the Prodigy from Bitfenix).

The big question I wanted to ask by coming here is : What do you use to paint the various parts of the case? I'm planning on painting it dark red or with a touch of dark purple, and paint a custom zombie owl design on the side panels. I do not have found any name for it yet, but as soon as the build is complete, I'll upload a bunch of pics. As for my question, what type of paint should I use? Spray paint? (Also, no custom part for me, like I've seen on the Harley Davidson build. I do not have the tools to make such parts ^^'). As for the lighting, I'll aim for something RED (yeah, red every-f***ing-where).

Thanks in advance for your answers ^^

Nice set up, if you want to paint the case, I suggest you get it powder coated, a lot of places will do it very cheap if you strip it down for them, £24gbp for mine to be done, as for your system setup, I would avoid ASrock like the plague, nearly every system issue ive had to deal with has had an asrock board involved, serious memory compatability problems, send it back and change it for a Gigabyte or ASUS board is my advice.

Spades

Display(s) Asus VX238H
Case CM HAF XB (mod?)
Audio Device(s) -
Software Win 7 (8 soon)
Nice set up, if you want to paint the case, I suggest you get it powder coated, a lot of places will do it very cheap if you strip it down for them, £24gbp for mine to be done, as for your system setup, I would avoid ASrock like the plague, nearly every system issue ive had to deal with has had an asrock board involved, serious memory compatability problems, send it back and change it for a Gigabyte or ASUS board is my advice.

Are you sure? Do you think I might get any problem in the future? I mean, I'm not planning on OC any component (never tried actually), and this build is for creation mainly (adobe suite, 3DSmax, video editing, ...). I'll change the motherboard if there is any problem (I chose this one for its features and its price, not for its quality... >_<). This build is not meant to become a beast or anything, just a computer that will be good enough for 4 or 5 years (the length of my studies in fact). As for the paint, I'll check for that, thanks :D!

Are you sure? Do you think I might get any problem in the future? I mean, I'm not planning on OC any component (never tried actually), and this build is for creation mainly (adobe suite, 3DSmax, video editing, ...). I'll change the motherboard if there is any problem (I chose this one for its features and its price, not for its quality... >_<). This build is not meant to become a beast or anything, just a computer that will be good enough for 4 or 5 years (the length of my studies in fact). As for the paint, I'll check for that, thanks :D!

Cheap boards for a reason, good to look at but that's about as far as it goes, i'd never buy one through my experiences of trying to fix other peoples, just either make sure your RAM that your buying is on the boards memory compatibility list on the boards manufacturing site ie ASrock, or get another board.

Spades

Display(s) Asus VX238H
Case CM HAF XB (mod?)
Audio Device(s) -
Software Win 7 (8 soon)
I checked the compatibility of the board with the RAM I bought. Everything seems to be ok, so I guess I'll keep this motherboard for now. I'll have to change when I swap my FX 8350 with a i7 anyway, so it can wait :p. But thanks again for the warnings ^^ I'll make sure to choose a MSI or ASUS one (Gygabyte too, maybe :p.)

I checked the compatibility of the board with the RAM I bought. Everything seems to be ok, so I guess I'll keep this motherboard for now. I'll have to change when I swap my FX 8350 with a i7 anyway, so it can wait :p. But thanks again for the warnings ^^ I'll make sure to choose a MSI or ASUS one (Gygabyte too, maybe :p.)

I only buy Gigabyte boards :rockout:

simroz

My first HAF XB watercool loop

Im a noob here but wanted to show off my haf xb (Which is the best pc case i have purchased, compact, water cooling support, fits full size mobo, looks cool, etc....)

Running an i7 3770k (@4.4Ghz)
Asrock z77 OC Formula Mobo
16Gb Gskill Trident-X 2666Mhz CL11 (@1600 CL8 due to cpu limitation....)
120Gb Kingston SSD (OS), 500Gb 2.5 SATA3 HDD (Storage)
Gigabyte windforce 7970 OC (Crap cooler, crap custom pcb with no full cover water block) 1000/1375 stock, currently 1050/1500 (need to flash BIOS to unlock voltage control)
Corsair GS800 V2 PSU
XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 water cooling kit with XSPC universal GPU block and a RX120 radiator (60mm thick)
Aerocool Shark Fans throughout...
Custom cowling to channel airflow as Shark fans have high CFM but not focused flow so air comes out in a 'V' pattern and i needed to try to cool VRMs, caps and VRAM modules, second duct is an exhaust with 2x 50mm fans.

This is my first attempt at a custom water loop.

Incidentally I was running the RAM at 2666 with an i5 3570K, so maybe my 3770K is a dud?

gig7970 wc2_LO.JPG

cowling_LO.jpg

cowling2_LO.jpg

pre_paint_LO.jpg

finished waterloop_LO.jpg

finished with cowling_LO.jpg

wc lights_LO.jpg

Last edited:
System Name FumoffuFumoffu
Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X -UD3H
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7970 OC
Storage 1- WD 500GB 1- Samsung F2 1.5TB 1- Crucial M4 128GB SSD 1-256GB ADATA XPG SX900 ASX900S3 SSD
Display(s) Hanns-G HZ281HPB 27.5'' 3ms Full HD 1920x1200 WideScreen LCD Monitor
Case Corsair Graphite Series 600T
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair HX 750W Gold
Software Windows 7 Pro x64
I'm thinking of switching to the XB from my 600T. I need portability and size reduction. How do they compare in size? My 600T next to the HAF XB. I want to put the XB on my desk so I would like to know roughly how much room it takes up. Also, is there a way to replace the 2.5" cage with a 3.5" cage? I have more Platter drives than SSDs. I would love a Prodigy but I still use ODDs and I have an H100i. :ohwell:

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Rig is packed! Whats with the yellow shroud?

Incidentally I was running the RAM at 2666 with an i5 3570K, so maybe my 3770K is a dud?

Could be voltages or XMP loaded profiles. What did you try?

simroz

Rig is packed! Whats with the yellow shroud?

That is to channel as much airflow as possible over the video card. This is because i rma'dd a ref card (msi oc) and got a gigabyte windforce 7970 back (was not very happy) hence had to use a universal water block and heatsinked the VRAM. Luckily the VRMs already has a heatsink but airflow was the issue. I have learned heaps by doing this pc (its a test run for my bigger project) but i should have gotten focused airflow fans, Aerocool shark fans have high cfm but push air out almost sideways, that is why i put channels in the shroud. VRAM dropped by about 10C by doing this.

Could be voltages or XMP loaded profiles. What did you try?

This is the story (don't judge me....lol), i tried to delid my i5 3570k (awesome cpu but ran hot, bout 70-75C under prime 95) so basically i F***ed it! not sure exactly what i did wrong, was doing the blade method and i think i may have put too much pressure on it or maybe static (room had carpet?). So i figured i would do an upgrade as i needed a cpu. Previously the i5 used xmp profiles no problem, 4.5Ghz on the cpu, 2666Mhz RAM, stable and happy days:)! When i put the 3770k i think it worked ok for an hour or so until i started over-clocking the 7970 (only clocks, no volts - had hwmonitor to check but gigabytre wf oc 1000_1375 is volt locked in bios) then after a crash the pc would not post anymore.
Power on, no post, would auto reset, pwr on, no post, auto reset, pwr on, bios option w/ message saying had failed multiple posts. Go into bios and ram set to standard config, trying to run it at 2666 yeilds same results every time - no post. so i figure F*** it, and just ran it at 1600 (shouldnt matter for games right?) but ran quicker timings (CL8 8 8 21 i think) so it seems quicker (original timings CL11 12 11 - i do not have the pc in front of me). But no xmp profiles will work. I was wondering if i turn hyper threading off will that give me a chance to run ram faster? Literally i just swapped cpu over but now in device manager there is a video related device (CPU onboard VGA?) but i have just disabled it. I know CPU come out with different oc ability and my 3770k IMC seems a bit weak (running it @ 4.4Ghz w/1.25V), not sure but im spewin i tried to delid my i5, that CPU was a trooper!

Also ram runs @ 1.65V and i read somewhere 3770k IMC does not like Volts over 1.5, but is running ok, im sure the problem is frequency related.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated...

Last edited:

effa114

Cooling questions

Hey everyone,

Planning my HAF XB build. Loving the case concept and construction.

As for cooling, I'd thought I'd decided on the Noctua NH-D14, but now I'm wondering about closed-loop. Would the Kraken X40 fit? I understand it's a single 140mm fan, and from what I can tell there's no single 140mm fan position on the case, only one that says you can mount 2x140mm on the front. (according to official specs here: http://www.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/lan-box/haf-xb.html)

I ask because the X60 is much pricier.

If the X40 doesn't work, would the H100i be a better alternative than the Noctua?

Thanks so much!

Cheers,
Ben

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
little change

k1llc0r3

My little build

My amazing cube sports a Amd 8350 auto tuned at 4 Ghz per core, Asus Sabertooth 990fx rev 2.0, 32 Gb Corsair Extreme performance ddr 3 18000mhz 4x8 gb, 2x Amd 7850 in crossfire, cooling i went with a thermaltake water 2.0 cooler with a few extra fans i have added to ensure it stays cool but quiet. i also have this running on a lg 47" led 120 Hz tv.
120 mm fans
3x be quiet fans
2x stock thermaltake fans
3x coolermaster stock fans
2x 80 mm thermaltake fans

hdds
3x seagate 4tb hdd
2x samsung 845 ssd 256 gb
2x western digital 3 tb black caviar

steelseries merc kb for at home
razer tarlantula for my lan partys
steel series karma mouse and steel series mouse pad for home
razer tron mouse and mouse pad for lan party

platonics headset, afterglow wireless and beats headphones for jamming out

tell what yall think? i think i am going to start to cut some of the honeycomb mesh out and place in some uv reactive plexi and dremel a honey comb design with the plexi and repaint the case as well. i think i may also change the leds to the fans and replace fans to be quiet series fans. the color change inside may stay with blue possibly.

Attachments

• 20130819_201946.jpg
    20130819_201946.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 759
  • 20130819_202150.jpg
    20130819_202150.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 1,034
  • 20130819_202039.jpg
    20130819_202039.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 1,020
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 1,065
System Name New Build - Oct. 2021
Processor Intel i7 10700k
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming H570-PRO
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory Corsair Vengence 16gb 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3060ti 8gb
Storage 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO NvMe m.2
Display(s) 27" LG Ultragear 144hz
Case Fractal Design- Meshify 2
Audio Device(s) Onborad dts
Power Supply Corsair RX 650 W
Mouse Roccat Kiro
Keyboard Razer Tarantula
Software Windows 10 Home x64
OP UPDATE:

Welcoming our new members to the XB Case Club!
:toast:

Jamin280672

bogmali

Spades

simroz

GreiverBlade

k1llc0r3

Thank you for sharing

~T77~

System Name Lynni PS \ Lenowo TwinkPad T480
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700 Raphael \ i7-8550U Kaby Lake-R
Motherboard ASRock B650M PG Riptide Bios v. 2.02 AMD AGESA 1.1.0.0 \ Lenowo 20L60036MX Bios 1.47
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black (Only middle fan) \ Lenowo WN-2
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB DDR5 6000MHZ CL36-36-36-96 AMD EXPO \ Willk Elektronik 2x16GB 2666MHZ CL17
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX™ 4070 Dual OC GPU: 2325-2355 MEM: 1462| Nvidia GeForce MX™ 150 2GB GDDR5 Micron
Storage Gigabyte M30 1TB|Sabrent Rocket 2TB| HDD: 10TB|1TB \ SKHynix 256GB 2242 3x2
Display(s) LG UltraGear 27GP850-B 1440p@165Hz | LG 48CX OLED 4K HDR | AUO 14" 1440p IPS
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 Tempered Glass White/Black | Lenowo T480 chassis
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 12 M 750W Goldie | 65W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeedy Wireless | Lenowo TouchPad & Logitech G305
Keyboard Akko 3108 DS Horizon V2 Cream Yellow | T480 UK Lumi
Software Win11 Pro 23H2 UK
Benchmark Scores 3DMARK: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/89434432? GPU-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details/v3zbr
last weekend i took my computer apart and moved alittle around and tried doing some more cabling even i sucks at it tbh :laugh:

but this i how it turned out:

the specs can be seen under System Specs ;)

Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
System Name Lynni PS \ Lenowo TwinkPad T480
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700 Raphael \ i7-8550U Kaby Lake-R
Motherboard ASRock B650M PG Riptide Bios v. 2.02 AMD AGESA 1.1.0.0 \ Lenowo 20L60036MX Bios 1.47
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black (Only middle fan) \ Lenowo WN-2
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB DDR5 6000MHZ CL36-36-36-96 AMD EXPO \ Willk Elektronik 2x16GB 2666MHZ CL17
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX™ 4070 Dual OC GPU: 2325-2355 MEM: 1462| Nvidia GeForce MX™ 150 2GB GDDR5 Micron
Storage Gigabyte M30 1TB|Sabrent Rocket 2TB| HDD: 10TB|1TB \ SKHynix 256GB 2242 3x2
Display(s) LG UltraGear 27GP850-B 1440p@165Hz | LG 48CX OLED 4K HDR | AUO 14" 1440p IPS
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 Tempered Glass White/Black | Lenowo T480 chassis
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 12 M 750W Goldie | 65W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeedy Wireless | Lenowo TouchPad & Logitech G305
Keyboard Akko 3108 DS Horizon V2 Cream Yellow | T480 UK Lumi
Software Win11 Pro 23H2 UK
Benchmark Scores 3DMARK: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/89434432? GPU-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details/v3zbr
thx GreiverBlade, i got the Windowed top so i was like, why not just show it off even it's only 240gb :laugh:

I've almost been a little afraid to post this and write this publicly as I'll probably be laughed off the internet but whatever.

I've been wanting to do a custom computer build for quite a number of years. Most of the reason I never got in to it was the time factor. Then money. But now a days lots of custom computer options are actually -QUITE- a lot cheaper than they used to be years ago. And I have more spare time than I know what to do with now a days, so.. the time is right and I'll be building a really customized custom computer.

Recently I went to my local Fry's Electronics (large warehouse-style brick`n`mortar store like best buy) and I went to their computer cases and spent several hours just looking through the different cases. Sticking my paws inside, taking the panels off, taking the bezels off. Trying to envision in my mind how water cooling setups would work in various cases.

After all that time and all the different cases out there, I finally settled on the Cooler Master HAF XB as my choice. I don't know why.. I think it's cute and I fell in love with it. I like the little SSD rack in the bottom, I was thinking I could put 4 x 32 GB SSD's in there and raid-0 em for OS drive. A 2 x 5.25" resivoir+pump combo one side, and two large-capacity 3.5" hard drives (I'd probably remove and won't even use that hotswap thing) It's just.. the layout, the airflow design.. the radiator placement, everything is just perfect with the HAF XB. Not to mention the carrying handles!

I'll probably be buying it in about 2 months and start down the path of building this thing.

Now the laughable part... what I plan to put in it: P45-based motherboard (That's right, LGA-775 with DDR2). And I plan to paint it internally and externally. And the other laughable part, what I plan to paint it with: Probably a high-gloss aerosol can of some color or other from walmart. I know you're usually supposed to sand it and strip it down and stuff, but I was probably just planning to do it cheap and just paint over the black that it comes in and go with it.

I plan to go dual-rad custom-loop water cooling, and aim for some significant overclocking of various 775 chips, dual cores, quads.. try a few xeons and desktop chips. You can buy these quads for < $30 each used on ebay these days. The dual cores are < $20 each. I know I can get 5ghz at least on a couple dual cores I already have, and just maybe see 4.8 - 5 on some quads depending how well it cools. I thought it'd be fun to throw a few various 775 chips in there and try to clock the ever-living crap out of em and see what they can do.

It's just for fun and giggles. Also I have a pair of mis-matched HD 4890's to use in it.

I might consider starting up a separate build thread, depending on the response to my post here. We'll see.

Last edited:
System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
I'm thinking of switching to the XB from my 600T. I need portability and size reduction. How do they compare in size? My 600T next to the HAF XB. I want to put the XB on my desk so I would like to know roughly how much room it takes up. Also, is there a way to replace the 2.5" cage with a 3.5" cage? I have more Platter drives than SSDs. I would love a Prodigy but I still use ODDs and I have an H100i. :ohwell:

you can make it ghetto hdd slot, or do modding a little
i guess its like 2 and half desktop case
so it takes much space but i like it

VR HMD Medion Erazer
kithylin said:
Now the laughable part... what I plan to put in it: P45-based motherboard (That's right, LGA-775 with DDR2).
laughable part?

my HAF XB currently have a mATX Asus M3N78-CM AM2+ board with a Phenom X4 9600B, 4gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800Mhz and a MSI N460GTX Hawk. (note: the Macho isn't in currently i need to find a new cooler)