1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Overclocking is Easy! Get Results!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Kursah, May 2, 2007.

?

Should this be Stickied?

Poll closed May 11, 2007.
  1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Needs More Work

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SloICEMAN

SloICEMAN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Amazing work by all the contributors, linking this page to anyone I find asking ocing questions.
    Kursah says thanks.
  2. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for your support, I do plan on adding more eventually. :toast:
  3. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Well some situations will vary, I have always personally had a better and more stable overclock w/o Spread Spectrum and it's a very universal recommendation to disable it. But if you are attaining a high and stable OC that you're perfectly content with, then I say keep it on. You kinda gotta try settings out, we can only recommend, but in the end it's your experience and experimenting that will know for sure what your build can or cannot do.

:toast:
  4. lima4111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Overclocking Thanks and OC help!

I would also like to thank you for the article: Overclocking is easy! I have read and reread it several times. I am also interested in Overclocking. I have a Pheonix tech Bios version 6.0 09/06/2007. I running Windows XP Pro as my OS.
    CPU:Intel Core2 Extreme Q9650 3.0GHZ.
    M/B:Abit IP 35 Pro Off Limits!
    RAM:4GB OCZ PC6400 (DDR2 800) 5.5.5.15 @2.1Volts.
    Video: 2X :Sapphire HD 2600 XT 256MB GDDR4 Mem. X-Fire OC to 845 (800) & 1165 (1100)
    PSU: Thermaltake T2 550 Volts
    Cooling: V1 Thermaltake for CPU, factory Video cards w/fans & a chassi blower next to each Video card. 3=80mm chassis fans as intakes 1=front 1=top 1=back 1=80mm and 1=120mm side mounted exhaust fans.
    Temps CPU 15 Idle, 35 load.
    I am currently running @ 3150GHz
    Mem: OC and running @ 816
    Bios settings are:
    Front Side Bus/CPU Frequency=5.25/speed of 2100MHZ
    PCI Express Frequency is set per your instructions @ 100PCI Clock Sync: Is UNK?
    VCore (CPU Voltage) 1.2575 Droops to 1.038V under load.
    Spread Spectrum is not shown in the bios!
    Front Side Bus termination voltage is UNK?
    Northbridge Vcore-UNK?
    Southbridge Vcore-1.50V
    ICH Chipset Voltage- AUTO @ 1.05v
    I'm currently awaiting delivery of the Gigabyte 3D Galaxy 2 water cooling kit!
    Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all for your time and effort!
    *Additional*: I recieved the Gigabyte 3D Galaxy 2 yesterday and dove right in! The user manual leaves some things to be desiried but not the worst I have ever read! The installation was pretty straight forward with a dash of common sence added. I oppted not to use the 2 splitter valves, but They would be easy to install should the need arise in the future! When I had finished I did as the manual suggested and rechecked all the hose connections and the hose clamps prior to adding the liquid cooling. I had just enough to fill the tank. I turned my computer on and almost imediatly heard a short beep followed by a long beeb. When windows had finished and the Abit Uguru opened i saw my temp was going from zero to 127C. I shut down and checked the spring loaded screws that are used to hold the water block to the CPU. I found one that was a bit loose, I tightened it and turned the computer on again and that took care of the problem. I now find my computer on booting up to be running a temp. of n/a to 1 Degree C. I ran the Ortho stress test for a little over 20 mins after installation with no problems. Even while running stressed the temp. never exceeded 9 Degrees C. I have since changed the CPU clock from 3.0 to 3.7, I left the Multiplyer @ the default of (9) and my memory which is (800) is now running at 880. I changed the CPU voltage up by one notch and my memory Voltage from 2.1 to 2.2V. Now i'm stuck...I would love dearly to set a new record in PCMark...But i'm going to need some additional help as to where to move my Bios settings and which ones to move!! I would appreciate any input you all may have in this area! Thanks for your time and effort!
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
    Kursah says thanks.
  5. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    lima4111, thanks for your support! I am glad that you are interested in taking on overclocking and purchasing proper hardware to do so. I think you will be very successful after some practice!

As-far-as help, you would be better off starting your own thread with this information to get a better response as most read this thread in Article Format (click the link in my sig) so they do not see these replies.

One thing that caught my eye was the Vcore droop...do you have C1E/EIST on? A droop of that much would be unstable imo, but then I am not familiar with the newer chips, so some others could shed light on that subjet. I am considering an IP35-Pro or a DFI Lanparty Dark P35...time will tell which one I get though.

But, if you start a new thread with what you posted and anything else you can think of, I'm sure there will be quite a few TPU members out there who will get you on the right track to a successful overclock!

6. bcsman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Intel Quad Core- Overclocking support

Does anyone have any information pertaining to overclocking an Intel Quad Core, or if it is even possible?

Brandon
    www.vantux.com
  7. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    It's VERY possible...just look in this section of the forum (try the thread search). Also search Intel C2Q Overclocking in Google...:D.. I am planning to add links to some quad oc guides already out there, again any donators contact me if you want your info in the guide (w/credit of course).

8. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Look at my system specs to find out. :D
  9. jkatt12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    low 3dmark06 score

amd phenom quad 9500
    bfg geforce 8800gtx oc
    g.skill 8gb ddr2 800 pc2 6400
    asus m2n32-sli deluxe

only getting 8600 3dmark06 score.
    barely play crysis at 'medium' settings 1280 x 1024.

would overclocking actually help run at high or very high settings in 1600 x 1200 reso?
  10. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    What OS do you have? Thats pretty low my E2200 and HD 3850 score higher than that(tho my E2200 is better than a Phenom but the card should push you to atleast 10k..) You can try to OC a phenom but its gonna be tough.
  11. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    That score is TOO low. At stock settings, I got at least 9k with an Intel Q6600, 4GB RAM DDR2-800, 8800GTS 640MB, EVGA 680i mobo, and Windows Vista Home premium. You should be getting an even higher score than I did on stock with that GTX.

Are all drivers up to date? Do you have your video card in the first PCI-e slot and not the second?

As for Crysis, I doubt that overclocking your system will let you run very high settings. I can only run Crysis on high with my 8800GT at 1680x1050. With my old GTS, I could only play it on medium. So I see next to no performance gain in Crysis whether you overclock or not. That game is just highly unoptimized to begin with.

Also, what PSU do you have?

EDIT: After talking with ShadowFold, it could also be that bug that shipped with the Phenom that is causing you problems.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  12. jkatt12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    psu is okia 650 watt sli ready - the card is in the first pci slot. got the latest nvidia drivers 169.25 64 bit installed. so i guess its got to be the bug issue. that sucks!!
  13. jkatt12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    running windows vista ultimate 64 bit.
  14. jkatt12 New Member

Thanks Received:
  15. jkatt12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    can you think of anything in the bios that could be set differently ? (everything is still at default when i first built it)
  16. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Im running Windows Vista Home Premium x64 and I dont have that issue. Hmmmm....since its an AMD AM2 based board, Im not at all sure as I have never had nor worked with an AM2 system before. Therefore, I cant help you out any longer.

I suggest making a completely new thread for this issue so that way others will be more inclined to see your problem and help out.
  17. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Question- Do you suggest using stock utilites to oc? My MSI uses cooln quite but is limited to 11% boost FSB. My bios is much more detailed, but I have to restart and test, very tedious. Also, should the oc be to increase the fsb but lower mult? I'm hitting a wall at 11% not posting. I would hope my opty could push 23-30% to bench.
  18. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    For novice Oc-ers or those that don't need much for an OC may try it out...but I'd rather have more control and manuall set my values for speed, timings, voltages, etc.

And the OC should be what works best...for some, increasing or decreasing the multi (depending on CPU) can help with an overclock. But increasing the FSB increases system speed, memory speed and CPU speed for a more balanced overclock. Some may have higher speed memory that cannot reach it's potential with the CPU at a higher multi, thus needing to lower the multi comes in handy...or other way around...increasing the multi because the MB or RAM cannot go higher on FSB...there are many variables and experimenting and reading about other's findings comes in very handy.

If you are having issues of no-post, lax the memory timings, mess with HT speed, voltages, etc. Read what others are doing to utilize that MB and CPU to get the percentage or value of your goal and use that as a basis for getting there!

mlee49 says thanks.
  19. zxvs New Member

Thanks Received:
    hello..i want to asking u how 2
    overclock my computer.i hope that u can guide me 2 overclock it.i really want the best advise from u my fren..this is my first time 2 overclock and i don't hope to overclock very high.just want to make it faster and use it power.hehehe..this is my com spec.

proc Intel core 2 duo E6600 engineering type A1
    cooler Noctua NH-U12F
    hdd WD 500 Gig
    ram Xteam Ddr2 800 2 gig
    mobo IP35-E(off-limits)
    gc Zotac NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
    lcd Samsung Black 19" 932B+
    psu Cooler master Xtreme 460W
    dvd Panasonic Dvd-RW

i hope that u can pm me asap.. tq
  20. miniquake32

miniquake32 New Member

Thanks Received:
    off topic

guys im afraid to overclock to a high voltage because im afraid to blow my new mobo!:twitch:
  21. mab1376

mab1376

Thanks Received:
    you should get a job writing textbooks.
  22. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    i have to say kursah this is an amazing guide.
    Kursah says thanks.
  23. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    It's turned out quite well and is almost a year old (woot!)...I've been slacking on updating it, or adding any new content...but if anyone has anything to donate please feel free to contact me via PM.

Thanks for all of the support everyone, I'm just glad that people find this guide useful...I know it's more basic, but I wanted to cover a different spectrum than the standard "OC" guides out there that may miss what I cover...I let them cover the specific hardware, I cover what you should do/know/understand before pushing. :D

Again thanks for the support everyone!
  24. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I'm thinking of topics to add, areas for improvement for this article...I know I've been saying forever that have been meaning to add content, I still do...but I want some more recent info added.

I know it's not a specific guide, but if you have the time to read through, lemme know what you'd like to see, what you'd like to add, what you'd wanna change. I want to keep this as a community supported article/guide. I'm hoping to make some time in the next couple weeks to update this guy some, but with all the OC-ers on this forum, what should be added?

I don't want it to be specific too much to a cpu or chipset or anything like that, I want it to be helpful for proper preperation...I am going to add new/updated utilities, links and such...but again, I want to see what you guys have to say!

25. lightspeed500 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dlownload and Crash.

Last week I found the AMD Overcloking site via Youtub discovery. I downloaded the AMD Overdrive 2.0.7 "No AMD CPU detected fix" This was the Link, >>>---> www.techpowerup.com/downloads/840/AMD_Overdrive_2.0.7.html - 22k -. This Pc was a Systemax, AMD Athlon 2400+, 80gig hd, 512 ram, F7VIG motherboard cd-r dvd-rw. After the download, I tryed installing and nothing came-up. After a reboot all I got was a grey screen, no pointer and a 3sec beep every 5 sec's. I tryed pulling the mem stict, switching pins with the jumper ti reset bios, still nothing, any sugestion?:cry::cry: