1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Remote ‘Kill Switch’ Added to Intel’s Newest Processor.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MatTheCat, Dec 16, 2010.

1. motasim

motasim New Member

Thanks Received:
    ... NO NO , YOU DON'T GET IT !!!!! ... Santa IS the kill switch :eek: ...
  2. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just cos u live in the town where ur own intelligence agency murdered 3500 of its own citizens and got ya all to run around blaming a bunch of illiterate rag-heads in some far off strategically important country on the Russian/Chinese borders.

Tard. :nutkick:
  3. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    This forum is about tech lets try to keep it on topic and civil please.
  4. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tell that to Mr Tin Foil hat man then.
  5. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    Im saying that to everyone im sick of seeing these threads going off on some wild tangent.
    Secondly mr tin foil hat didn't personally insult someone and an entire culture with his post.

That's why you where quoted in my comment.
  6. Bigjohn

Bigjohn

Thanks Received:
    ummm, guys?
    Any technology is subject to potential abuse. If you trust this sort of power in the hands of the government, then so be it. When you cease to fear and challenge the government, you become their willing servant.... many slaves are happy just as things are, because it's too hard to conceive of anything else...
    overclocker and MatTheCat say thanks.
  7. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Because the twin towers were in clifton park? you know ny is a pretty big state...

Ya.. but im the tard.
  8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I hadn't realized a private company implementing security measures in their private products that people have the choice to purchase or not purchase was considered an infringment of basic freedoms.

Care to explain how that makes sense?
    Batou1986 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  9. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    scary thing---> server market.
  10. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    So if intel kills my cpu can I rma it for a new one?
    remixedcat and overclocker say thanks.
  11. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Because that PRIVATE company is controlled and owned by individuals with PRIVATE interests who in turn are politically and economically subject to even more nastier and powerful individuals with even more PRIVATE interests.

Also modern lifestyle is becoming increasingly technocentric which means we all rely on only two companies to deliver the........

...wait a minute...are u 10 years old or something?

......In the of chance that u actually went to school and did a little bit of economics.....

.........haven't you ever read about the dangers of Monopolies and how they are very bad thing for everyone (except the monopolisers)?

No, if Intel kills ur CPU next stop for you will be Quantanamo Bay to be politically corrected for your bootlegging ways and where you will learn to appreciate how company executives are struggling to pay for their third holiday homes due to evil dishonest plebecites not being willing to pay (through the nose) for many software apps and games.
    Bigjohn says thanks.
  12. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    I stopped listening to mat after he began linking everything to conspiracy theories..

So when I got my cat scan today did the government actually use that machine to steal my cell phone contacts?

[​IMG]
  13. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Too much of the ganja imo. See the thing is this isn't a monopolistic thing (btw there is more than 2 CPU manufacturers) nor is it a conspiracy to turn everyone's pc's off and control the world. It's actually what some customers want, to be able to de-activate their laptop if it's lost or stolen. I don't think Intel will send its customers to Guantanamo bay because they want another cpu lol absolutely rediculous.

Now lets get back on topic. Who actually would like the ability to disable their laptop or phone if it was stolen ?
  14. Thatguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Truecrypt or similar harddrive encryption will solve that problem. Unless they add a new HDD anything on the hdd will be useless without the key.
  15. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    WARNING: Post on topic or I will just close the thread;)
    Batou1986 and DrPepper say thanks.
  16. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    i dont even remember what the topic is........

o ya.. incase anyone missed it, wizz pointed out this is only on special models.. so the home user doesnt have to worry about the government shutting off their computer..

the end
  17. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    every intel processor release i always hear some fuckery, it ends up being just that ... fuckery ....
    remixedcat says thanks.
  18. overclocker

overclocker

Thanks Received:
    What about the second owner of the computer? can the first owner kill his cpu b/c he didnt like the guy ?
    remixedcat says thanks.
  19. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Quite possible but I imagine since this is only only selected CPU's they are unlikely to ever be resold.
    overclocker says thanks.
  20. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    I won't go to the bay for downloading music nor will intel shut my cpu off...this is getting blown out of proportion. Like w1z said this will probably be available on certain chips as a special tech called vpro.
  21. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Won't happen i'm AMD fan since many years now :nutkick:

Oh and btw Tinfoil get more magnetic fields like if you put tin foil in the microwave...I'm getting signals from UFO's outside solar system....and by signals sent to my head they told me they dont like you! :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• hfgh.gif
      hfgh.gif
      File size:
      187.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  22. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Personnaly my samsung phone have a device in it that could be used as a GPS to trace it. I can disable or not but its used for some applications.and if you read between the lines to track you down. Trakc you down where you are if you commeted a crime and police chase you or if something happened to you and police must act real quick. Example: Your daughter have been kidnaped but her phone git that GPS function and shes still having it in the purse that guys hopefully kept in the car.

Ok it seems science fiction but in that case i would like to be able to track down those mother fuckers !
    overclocker says thanks.
  23. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    People. The "kill" switch is only active if it is enabled FROM THE MACHINE ITSELF. This is usually done by enabling the remote manageability technology on the machine. This is something your company's IT department does (typically this is done in the BIOS in a section protected by other security features). If you buy a laptop with this ability in it - You are your own IT department. You dislike this ability or mistrust someone (government, zionists, terrorists, idiots, smart people, Intel, AMD, Santa or the pink unicorn) to activate it - don't use it. Disable it, and nobody will be able to do anything to your laptop even if your neighbors cat steals it and flies off to Mars with it.

Capice?

And lay off the conspi-juice.
    MatTheCat says thanks.
  24. JF-AMD AMD Rep (Server)

Thanks Received:
    Source?
  25. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Where have you read this will be an optional feature which can be turned off or on?