1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Remote ‘Kill Switch’ Added to Intel’s Newest Processor.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MatTheCat, Dec 16, 2010.

1. JF-AMD AMD Rep (Server)

Thanks Received:
    Out of band management has been available in servers for as long as I have been in servers. And that has been almost 20 years.

2. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Yes but that's a little different.... We are talking about making your hardware useless here, for the average consumer at that.

I'm pretty certain they will have to put some type of safe guard in otherwise all the big names will simply choose not to use Intel cpu's.. And thus Intel will go out of business, they should make a public statement on this asap now that the rumors are out or this will seriously hurt their business.

3. JF-AMD AMD Rep (Server)

Thanks Received:
    95viper was the one that brought up out of band management, I was replying

95Viper says thanks.
  4. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Now I may be an ordinary hyper chicken, but:
    and
    from Intel's AT evalution linked by Tatty

My interpretation (as read from Intel's perspective):
    "I think if we're intentionally vague we can delay the hackers from abusing this new AT mechanism by up to a day."

Personally I'll let encryption protect my data and I'll protect my laptop.

Also, this popped into my head:
    http://www.hulu.com/watch/89250/oni...s-protect-privacy-by-moving-to-remote-village

5. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    I'm just curious but whats your knowledge level...

Encryption can cause HUGE issues if you don't keep a good backup.
    I find a lot of people don't understand that part or don't take it into consideration.

Just a friendly note. :)

6. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    and everyone thought these new chips were going to be the 2nd coming of christ, guess what! locked multi EVEN on the "K" cpu's and now this! nope I wont buy this crap ill stick with what I have or go X58

7. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    FFS.

LOL.

Well remote kill switch or not. I certainly won't be purcahsing one of these. Looks it will be Bulldozer for me in March 2011.

8. F1reFly

F1reFly New Member

Thanks Received:
    that and cell phones can be used to eavesdrop. frankly i dont care, i'd rather they just join me in the convo

9. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    I think the whole point of this is to make using TPM encrypted stuff more secure.

While you cant make a TPM encrypted HDD work in another machine, someone may figure out a way to bypass the security on the original machine gaining access to the correct TPM and accessing your files.

If the original system is locked due to this tech and the HDD is encrypted with a TPM it makes it damn near impossible to crack.

10. Thatguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Encryption_Standard

11. pr0n Inspector

pr0n Inspector

Thanks Received:
    Blatant lies.

Sandy Bridge K parts' multipliers can go up to 57x. That's 5.7GHz in case you don't know.

12. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't think you could purchase one if you tried and thats really just my point, they are intended for Mobile use and probably OEM only, at the end of the day is an individual (rather than a large corporation) going to spend a lot of money on VPro just to disable one laptop if it gets stolen, the facility may be there in the mobile chip at the hardware level but if the user aint subscribed to the software then as far as I can read it, there is nothing going to happen, remembering that this technology supposidly has been requested by corporate users.

13. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    And, thank you for the reply.

I was trying to show that there are such options; while, not totally hardware based.
    They are not some subversive tactics; they are for the organizations that require or want them.
    Also, if, this does take off... I can see other manufacturers following the lead.

The company, I retired from, used them for the protection of our information.

I don't believe that is productive to this thread (my opinion).

And, it is not very nice to call someone names and flame bait them.

14. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Less of the insults otherwise I might just do something moronic, I think he was saying that Wikileaks has done nothing illegal as opposed to the guy who actually stole and disclosed the info.

95Viper says thanks.
  15. scooper22

scooper22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    *bump* becaus eI think it's important to know about the SB remote kill pill (which actually has been around since 2008 in Intel's chipsets BTW)

I think it will not be used to shutown half a million of computers but to shut down just a handful important servers just before the groundtroops come marching in. Ah, yes, and the presidents "internet kill switch", which will result in a genocide in the server market, and without the servers there's no infrastructure or economy, which will make a country surrender even faster.