1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Restarting issue with my new build

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Commanderkev, Jun 24, 2013.

1. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Do one thing. Before the "Starting Windows" logo shows up, repeatedly tap F8. You will find the option "Disable automatic restart on system failure".

Now run the machine and see if you get any blue screens. It might happen that a BSOD is occurring so fast that you can't see it because a standard monitor takes time to switch resolutions(BSOD is displayed in 640*480)..

After you confirm this, we will help you to dig deeper.

2. Commanderkev New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok it still just restarts. No blue
    Any one in particular or just whatever I find online?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  3. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    ??? Is this post supposed to mean what it says?

*Furmark is a GPU stress test... and DOES peg GPU to 100%...(though its overkill, yada yada, but...)

I'm a bit confused at what you were going on for a number of reasons, LOL! :)

4. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Well check the power cable and PSU then.

5. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    Any multimeter. check +12V yellow and +5V red on any molex connector. A physical multimeter would be better than a software, but you can try AIDA64 or Hwinfo .

There were cards with burnt VRMs due to furmark.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  6. Commanderkev New Member

Thanks Received:
    Power cables in securely if that's what you mean.

ok I'll check a software multimeter tonight, I don't have a physical one, would have to wait for it to ship here. I don't know what I'm doing with this but I'll figure it out!

I have no idea what I am doing.

[​IMG]
    http://tinypic.com/r/ab759k/5

edit** It doesn't restart when I play TF2 on steam. I get an extra 45 minutes of usage before a restart if I have tf2 running.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  7. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    Close the summary window or set it aside.
    Click Sensors button

[​IMG]

If they have really unrealistic off values like me, is due to hwinfo not supporting your sensors and you michgt have to check with AIDA64, speedfan, BIOS or a physical multimeter.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  8. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Also another thing, your reset button wires may have broken the concealing and somehow touching the case which cause the reboot. To confirm this, unplug the reset button plug from the motherboard.

9. Commanderkev New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys, those looks like great ideas. I will be away for the weekend but I am excited to check this when I am back.

Also, I see there is a website called digiman, looks like an indian pc repair service. They have a free diagnostic. Is it worth it to give it a shot?

Thanks again

10. shovenose

shovenose

Thanks Received:
    I think it's your RAM man. Just try RMA'ing it.

11. Commanderkev New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried each RAM stick separately but it still reset itself each time.

12. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Furmark sux for testing GPU. LOL 3Dmark presses GPU harder.

13. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Lol, do tell...

14. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Overclock your GPU and run furmark till it passes(high overclock as possible), then run 3Dmark 11. You will crash. Done it many times. So thats what I am telling you Mr. LOL. It is well documented furmark is not a great Stress for GPU's plus it is so dated. Furmark does not come close to maximizing power draw. I tested it against 3DMark and it is not even close on the GPU test for power draw

If you google it and read threads, many pass Furmark and crash while gaming. Furmark will allow higher core speeds and when playing CPU intensive games, boom....

http://www.overclock.net/t/951349/how-much-of-a-stress-test-is-furmark

http://www.overclock.net/t/387213/best-video-card-stress-test-tool/20

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
    itsakjt says thanks.
  15. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Totally agreed. I got 985 MHz core and 1310 MHz mem, on my 6770 absolutely stable in Furmark. However, when I was playing sleeping dogs, occasionally the game was stuttering and finally froze with the famous 6xxx series lines. I had to reboot computer and decrease clocks as on my specs.

drdeathx says thanks.
  16. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Let me clear something up. My "LOL" in my initial post was a (failed) attempt to keep things 'light' since your attitude here more than usually precedes you. I'm going to guess that is what started your "LOL" to me which I took in a similar fashion. Damn the internet! So let's start over.

Thanks for providing that information. That said, Furmark was a shitty tool for stability as soon as card makers started throttling their line to compensate for the 'power virus' that they call it. To me though, it wasn't because its a bad test and that others use more power or get the GPU hotter, but b/c it was a power virus and could potentially hurt your card as the load that was put on it is unrealistic. In fact, I have an Nvidia press deck stating not to use it for those reasons.

Thanks for providing links... though they are from the same user, so who cares there (I know its easy to find others which goes a long way in making a point). Citing the same source in different threads, doesn't help, especially since we have no clue how knowledgeable that user is in the first place. Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one! :p

That said, Furmark still pegs your GPU @ 100% and was the application that gets my GPU's the hottest. So to bring this full circle, I see, now, what you are saying... It doesn't stress the CPU along with the GPU? That said, it wasn't made to be a CPU test. I was wondering about this statement:
    Furmark IS a GPU stress test and does stress the GPU to 100% (says 100%). Stability is a different ball game. But I understand now you are using stress and stability tests interchangeably. Perhaps elaborating a bit in that post would have helped (me) out b/c as it stands that statement left a bit to be assumed, hence my original request for clarity. ;)

For our testing, we use 3dMark11 and Unigine Heaven for power and temperatures. Unigine Heaven gets things a bit warmer on the GPU side than 11, Partly b/c its a constant load of the GPU versus 11 that has a couple of small breaks between tests. I haven't tested Furmark in years, but will check that out soon against 11 and reply back with my findings.

As a side note, have you mentioned to Wizzard that his GPU testing is all but wrong? He uses Furmark for 'maximum power draw' out of the GPU. Does Furmark land somewhere between gaming and 3d11 in your experience? Is that not really a worst case for the GPU?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  17. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Back on topic.

Were the standoffs in the case Installed in the correct positions?
    Check also that the case is grounded.

18. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    I am thinking it's time to unplug everything and plug it all back in.
    Also some places have crappy wiring. Make sure the outlet is not causing the problem.
    Try another.

19. Commanderkev New Member

Thanks Received:
    My friend said it's probably my psu. You guys think I should just upgrade my psu?

20. Commanderkev New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's not the reset plug

http://tinypic.com/r/34soyfs/5

21. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    The CX PSUs really are not that bad. Im running a CX430M in my File server and its running very well.

22. Commanderkev New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sevenforums said 95% chance I need a better psu with over 550 watts. How's this? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LB5AZY/?tag=tec06d-20

23. shovenose

shovenose

Thanks Received:
    New thing to check - are you running the latest BIOS?

24. Commanderkev New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hate to say it but how do I check?

25. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Nothing personal, It is all cool. Furmark is a shitty stress test as I explained earlier. If it opasses and crashes in 3DMark11, makes it very shitty. Many others agree as someone did in this thread. I think we can close the case on Furmark as it does not load power draw period....