1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Skydiver aims to break sound barrier in free fall

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Sasqui, Oct 2, 2012.

1. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
  2. johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I actually watched this on tv... very cool. Sky diving... wonder how many of us would really have the balls...
    More than 25k PPD
  3. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    I like what the guy said that previously held the record. He was ready to go again at 85
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  4. Depth

Thanks Received:
    This isn't sky diving... This is space diving. :cool:

[​IMG]
  5. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
  6. Depth

Thanks Received:
    That IS from Portal.
  7. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Much respect for this crazy guy!!!
    I love the pic when he is getting ready to jump out. That is just a crazy, sic view of the world below:toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's a shame this is all we will be able to accomplish as the human race. If all the nations of the world just quit their stupid shit and start working towards advancing the human race perhaps we could begin to travel to... see link in my sig.
    H82LUZ73 says thanks.
  9. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    Wow I missed this last night ,Was at work.Thanks for posting the video you guys.Yeah a shame the world as a human race juts wants to bicker about indifference's all the time.I would love to see a world space project myself.
    Phusius says thanks.
  10. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Am I the only one who isn't that impressed by this jump? All it did was meaninglessly put his life at risk for the sake of entertainment. No science knowledge was gained. I mean, Kittinger jumped what, 10,000 feet lower than he did in 1960. 50 years ago. Now that takes some balls. These days it just seems like a glorified skydiving attempt. Also, space begins at 62 miles, he jumped from the Stratosphere. o_O
  11. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    actually i belive boiling blood is called "the bends" i know divers get it if they surface too fast.
  12. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    They are a bit different, Sol. The Bends is when there is a release of Nitrogen from the cells into the blood stream from a rapid drop in pressure. Boiling blood is when the pressure get so low that it affects the boiling point of fluids (like blood and saliva) and they literaly boil.

You really want to try to avoid either.
    Solaris17 says thanks.
  13. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Yes, indeed! :laugh: I think that the bends can happen pretty quick, like a top off a soda bottle or cork from champagne in sudden decompression.

At least nitrogen would be the first to bubble out at low pressure, followed by other dissloved gases, then fluids start to boil and freeze at the same time. Not pretty!
  14. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    If you ascend to rapidly from depth when SCUBA diving your blood will not boil as the pressure you will be experiencing at surface level (including the air pressure when you leave the water) is still much to high to cause that.
    Most people who experience the bends survive as they are flown (or driven) to a decomp chamber ASAP and once you are re-pressurized the nitrogen release stops. It can be long and quite painful, but you live.
    There also can be permanent side affects to severe bends.

If your blood boils, you are already unconscious and I would imagine the survival rate is right around 0%.
  15. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Yes, from depths it doesn't boil suddenly... bubbles form slowely like a soda fizz and accumulate. It's excruciatingly painful, I've had gas (CO2) in my shoulder from abdomen surgery and was begging for percocets.
  16. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Me too. The gas rises into your shoulders and it feels like someone was beating you with a baseball bat.
    Good times. lol

At very low pressures the blood boiling is different. I am sure there is a nasty release of nitrogen from the cells as the pressure drops, but at that low pressure the boiling point of bodily fluids changes and they literally boil. Like water in a teapot. At that point, the only thing you have going for you is that you are probably already dead.
  17. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Banstick Dummy

Thanks Received:
    I grew up in the Keys. I've seen this to many times. A lot of noob SCUBA divers get this but it should be noted this only happens with divers that use pressureized tanks. Holding your breath won't do it. ;)
  18. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    ya the deep people. the ones that come up really slow and time it or the ones that use decompression tanks.
  19. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    So did he actually manage to break the sound barrier? The whole idea is frickin ridiculous; it's gotta be unspeakably awesome though to go 700 mph. (Unencumbered of wings and such)
  20. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    IIRC he reached 833 MPH.
    MxPhenom 216, Irony and eidairaman1 say thanks.
  21. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    speed of sound is approx 768 mph he broke that by 65 mph at top speed, if he stayed at a constant 768 he wouldnt have broken it so sudden acceleration past 768 would cause a boom to occur. and For the size of his body the boom was pretty quiet compared to a boom of a F-14,15,16,18,35,22 or Equivalent fighters.

I agree- its called co-existing. Besides every country has their own internal problems that need to be dealt with, Not start wars with eachother!
    Irony and Phusius say thanks.
  22. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    He went faster than the speed of sound, but afaik did not go super-sonic (sonic boom!) due to the weak atmosphere when he hit that speed.

Also, "boiling" blood is a myth. That can't happen with just changing pressure. It is really just nitrogen bubbles as said above.
  23. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    ya the drag/pressure/velocity of the air would have to the the right coefficient, to get the cone that is seen around most aircraft too
  24. newconroer

Thanks Received:
    How many people would want to do this, for free(thanks Redbull? glad someone squeezed their advertising in there)and have the world know about it?
    After enough consideration and training, I suspect a lot more people than we'd assume.

I am not impressed with this that much. So many other people could have done this - yet the world watches and praises like he's some saint or useful personality to the advancement of our society - similar to how we give more respect to celebrities as opposed to deserving persons like teachers. That reflects more about our pathetic standards than it does him as an individual..however..speaking of his attitude ... I love the ridiculous smugness he has when announcing he is 'retiring' from 'dare devilness' to go on to be a 'helicopter pilot'

....again ...how many people would kill for that life?

Kittinger's jump was better - the lack of technology alone is what makes it ballsy.
  25. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Many discoveries in science and technology were achieved due to ... wars. Everybody thinks that wars are bad, and wars are bad, but many times wars played role of gears of science. Some philosophers say that without wars humanity will cease to exist. It's quite a controversial thing but not meaningless. However it's sad that governments spend more money on militay crap while there's a lot of other things that need money. Ok I digress ...