1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TechPowerUp! Official IC Diamond Test

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by stinger608, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Dom with his mouth wide open for either... crazy texans. :laugh: :toast:
  2. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    As it has taken way too long, in my opinion, to be able to buy sample packs of the Prescale film, I did some research.

A company called Pressure Metrics LLC sells 12 inch by 10.6 inch (30cmx27cm) pieces of the Ultra-Low for $50. By my calculations, that appears to be enough to do approximately 36 tests for my 950, or ~$1.38 (before tax and shipping) per test.

I do not know what the final price will be from the retailers ICD is talking with, but if anyone wants/needs some now, it is available.
  3. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Want mine? would that sample pack help you?

I know my block has 100% coverage but if you feel like its taking to long then you can have mine till it all gets sorted out!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shining like a Diamond, cool as the rain, ICD 24 keepin ma 4.9GHz Cool as ice :pimp:

Can a moderator change my Custom title to ICD 24K supporter?

Who do I ask to do that for me? The senior Mod? PM W1zzard?
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  4. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Yes I also found out that IC Diamond does have some coarse particles. I applied the compound in my laptop CPU(bare die) and have found out the CPU has very minor scratches in the die. While trying to clean it with lemon and coffee filter, it even scratched the substrate(PCB) also. I follow this method in all my thermal compound history(CM Thermal Fusion 400, CM IC Essential, HTK-002) but never any one of those caused any damage.
  5. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    Haha u slut stop telling ppl what I do to you XD

You need to build a clean room and wear a clean suit when using this stuff icd isn't at fault..... :roll:
  6. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Nope. :p Only IC Diamond caused the damage. It even damaged the chipset also. Those never occured before during my servicing. :p
  7. g1lgamesh New Member

Thanks Received:
    icd

Hey folks

This my first post here,

If I may shed some light on the situation, however I must state my interests beforehand.

I am sponsored by icd and help them out with the contact/pressure testing etc on various water blocks. So if you wish to take my opnion with a pinch of salt, please feel free to do so. I am just being straight from the start.

I have tested this paste since my intital review (before working with Andrew) since 2009 and not in one instance have I found the issue as shown above. Not doubting the gentlemans word just wondering how it could have happened?

I will say this though, ICD does have a polishing effect on a standard IHS it wears off the cpu markings fairly quickly. On the balance side of things ALL CPU compounds are abrasive in one form or other. Artic silver uses Aluminium Oxide (often to make hard wearing rubies) so they all are abrasive and used often enough can wear off the marking(THIS HAPPENS ON ALL COMPOUNDS) on the CPU.

Personally what I think Andrew should do is either market or develop a cleaning solution good enough even to take off ICD from a CPU in the evento of a HSF/ water block change. In addition I have noticed some people removing ICD from the iHS by almost rubbing the paste off-rather than lifting it off (if you get my meaning) This then makes the polishing effect more pronounced by using the former cleaning method.

BTW if anyone is in the UK I will be selling the paper myself (through agreement iwth Andrew)

anyay just my opinion.

g1lgamesh
  8. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    As you have stated, this means that the compound is abrasive, and given the fact that many people are noticing this rather quickly compared to other compounds, that can only meant hat this compound is more abrasive than other compounds. If it's by some chance not due to the abrasiveness, then this must be due to some chemical reaction.

Both of these points have been made by several people in this thread, and it's been ignored.
    DOM says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    He has said that abrasion is to be expected, but I can't be bothered to find the exact post. As for whether more abrasion happens than usual, I cant remember him saying about that.

As for chemical damage, official stance is that there should be no chemical damage. So both problem has been "dealt with", just not to satisfaction.
  10. g1lgamesh New Member

Thanks Received:
    I didnt say more abrasion than usual, one was just saying what i have noticed. I also said all compounds do that if you change CPU's and or water blocks as often as I do amd im talking tjhe marking off my cpu over a 14 month period. However if you rubb off hte compound rather than lift off the compound then you would create a polishing effect this is on ANY manufacturers choice.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  11. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    ive only had these kind of issues with ICD and ive never had a paste do what ICD does no matter how many times I reapplied it, as for AS I havent use that stuff since 06 :laugh:

but glad I didnt mess up anything or bad just staining on the cpu block and fading of the ihs which I never experienced before with any paste :eek:
    g1lgamesh says thanks.
  12. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Not referring to you, just repeating what the ICD rep said
    g1lgamesh says thanks.
  13. g1lgamesh New Member

Thanks Received:
    same here on as5 i dont use it much, however as5 though its poor compared to modern products outsells everoyne else for some reason.

A5 was jsut an example Aluminium Oxide is used in a myriad of differing products.
  14. g1lgamesh New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think a video or a study on the abrasive effects on the leading manufacturers TIM as compared ot ICD could be a good idea.

Although in my experience the ICD works like a treat, I know it wears off the Marking on the cpu ihs, but then again i have not tested this with other compounds as of yet. I change wc blocks as much as 2 to 3 times a day on the same cpu so could be a good idea like i said to test this.
  15. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    @ gilgamesh, what you say makes no sense.

I will give you that all compounds are "abrasive" but your experience and testing has failed you. Also how do you expect users to remove the paste, are they supposed to vacuum it off the IHS, I mean wiping or scraping is the only method to use other than dunking the chip in something that would dissolve the paste. Even with a cleaner, you have to wipe off the residue left by it (which would contain diamond bits still).

That really sucks from a paste! I have an IHS here that was cut from its core in October of 2007 and has tested damn near every compound on the market and cooler up until last year when the TEC plate burned out. It is a little battle worn, but in 5 years of use, with many applications, the lettering is still fine. So to say all are abrasive really doesn't matter when one is like a metal file while the others are more like a babies diaper.

Link to article of the build of the TECC testbed....
    http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1200/thermal_chamber_heatsink_testing_methods/index.html

Image of said IHS I took 10 minutes ago (yes battle worn, but readable as the day this donor proc was released)...
    [​IMG]

So what is your point to come in here and say that the paste will damage things, we already know that. If you were half the tester you claim to be, and used something other than IC Diamond products since 2009 you might be more aware of real world products and conditions.

I guess the real question is, if they have an in-house tester such as yourself, why not stop drooling over it, and test some other compounds to see how bad and abrasive this product really is. To come in and state our paste will void the CPU warranty in 14 months is a bit absurd from any manufacturer. (IE Intel or AMD will not RMA a proc without the lettering on the IHS!)
    adulaamin and itsakjt say thanks.
  16. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for the generous offer, but no, if it is all the same to you, I would prefer to purchase mine.
  17. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    I just cleaned my comp and put fresh paste I looked at my heatsink after cleaning and it has tiny pits on it now from the previous Ic Diamond application.I'm pretty upset about this. Never have I ever experienced any thermal paste issues in my many years in this field.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  18. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    What do you mean by tiny pits? Pics Plz?

I'm wondering if I should begin to concern myself with my ICD application.
  19. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    Just uploaded them.
  20. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    I also, am becoming concerned. Although, I really, really do not want to pull my Heatkiller.

I wonder what commonality there is for those with affected heatsinks?
  21. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    we used IC diamond.
    t_ski, adulaamin and AthlonX2 say thanks.
  22. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    So natr0n's post verifies it again. I will not use ICD again.
  23. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    This thread seem to be telling me to check mine. :slap:
  24. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    I got this stuff on everything cpu, gfx, north and south bridges.

Gonna be a hassle to clean and redo all that.
  25. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    @Natron-Clean it extra carefully. My laptop chipset and CPU had scratches while I tried to clean the ICD off with coffee paper.