1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The TPU UK Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by mullered07, Aug 13, 2008.

?

Is the UK the most damn fine & dandy place to live?

1. Yes without a doubt

14.3%
  2. Yes but only with a cup of Earl Grey

14.3%
  3. Would be better with a half decent government

46.4%
  4. No it's crap!

25.0%
  1. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Even i admit the 5 year warranty, even on refurbs is excellent business practice.
  2. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Try the newer H80i...... excellent performance, and quiet (I run mine on balanced setting), the H80i performs as well as the old H100 but of course is cheaper.
  3. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    cant decide if to order a EVGA GTX680 FTW or a 7970...
  4. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Flip and coin and when the coin is in mid-air get the card that comes to front of your mind.
  5. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    I don't know if i'm really angry at Google or not.

Last year on the 29 July 2012, my Dad transferred £175 to my account so i could get him a Google Nexus 7 for my Mum. Bought, delivered, still working. I check my balance last night, -£168... I'm like :O

Turns out, that payment was never taken out... 6 months ago... and was just done now when i had only what i needed to cover my two phone bill, in my bank. They both came out just after, making me even deeper into this debt.

Thanks Google..
  6. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    That sucks!
  7. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:

Im heavily leaning towardz the 680 cuz i hate amd drivers :shadedshu
  8. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    +1

I thought I'd give AMD a try as I had been with NVidia for years but I totally regret it! I have more problems with dual monitor and audio over HDMI especially when switching from one monitor to another or both. That alone annoys the hell out of me as I like to play games using the TV and I don't like leaving it as dual monitors as I get a stupid refresh rate issue aswel on one of the screens.
  9. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Well if you hate AMD drivers then might as well get the 680, future headaches caused by further AMD drivers is not worth it.
  10. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    Then you've made your decision.

I think I've only ever had one problem when using ATi AMD drivers and I can't even remember what that was. I had a lot of issues when using nVIDIA drivers. As I have a flashed 6950 I doubt I'll be upgrading my card for a good couple of years but I'm definitely keen to go green again at some point.

:pimp:

I'm looking forward to the end of the month when I can buy a 256GB Sammy 840 Pro.

:rockout:
  11. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    How much are you paying for that?

Also anyone here got a socket 1156 CPU they want to sell for cheap? THINKING of upgrading the CPU
  12. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    Quid over £170.

The company I currently work for won't let me get one at trade because our purchaser is a major twat'ead.
  13. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-062-PA

I got myself a Nanoxia Deep Silence 2, its a decent case for the price, but is slightly not wide enough for my second cpu fan. The way my ram works is slot 2 and 4 for dual channel; which means the fan is mounted higher on that side.

Unlucky for me the Patriot stuff is the same height as my Rip Jaws. I know its ocuk but it is a good price for the specs, just got to hope to hell you don't need to return anything to them.
  14. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    I have the same issue with my noctua though I can raise the fan a few mms so it just sits on top of the RAM if you know what I mean?
  15. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    The way the Phanteks fan mounts work, you can install the fans at any height even just touching the ram its too big to fit but i know what you mean. My old case i had the fan just above the ram and it fit inside the case with a few mills to spare.
  16. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Ah so it would be touching the side of the case if it where any higher? sux :shadedshu
  17. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Yup, its just a few millimetres tall to fit in the case, i even tried forcing the side panel on which was stupid but that never worked anyway. I don't get why the Deep Silence 1 was wider, but the Deep Silence 2 is thinner yet longer to accommodate E-ATX motherboards. Who the fuck would put a mobo that size in silent mid tower?

The cooler is massive but it fits in with plenty of room. I heard this cooler has some problems with ram clearance on the second fan so im not that bothered, still works great with one fan tho.
  18. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    well heres a small update on my situation with my 6970s. After reading a few reviews of 6970s vs GTX680 I decided it would be best to keep them.

So, What did i do?

I hunted down a pair of Alpenföhn Peter Universal VGA coolers. which cost me just under £100 for both.

Now i was thinking.... throw another £200-300 ontop of that and id have me a GTX680 or 7970 and while that option did sound most tasty I decided to go with the 'cheaper' option and replace both of the coolers just for the sake of them looking the pair and not cause any unforeseeable installation issues

I dont really WANT to spend that much money on cooling but I tell myself that I wont be replacing them for at least another year to make it more worthwhile cuz at this current stage - 6970s dont really have a high resale value and they still kick ass against the GTX680 albeit with more heat and power consumption so why not keep them?

I ask myself if i have any trouble running games - Obviously not! the only issues ive had are driver related issues and Im not desperate nor currently wealthy enough to fork out £400 on a new GPU

Since they were only GPU coolers - I ordered them from OCuK, being GPU coolers - what could possibly go wrong with them?? - so fingers crossed their website is displaying the correct amount of units in stock and that they dont send me the wrong items.

Unfortunately i suffered another wave of bad luck and ended up spilling tea over my G500 mouse and it is totally messed up. it works but suffers from random behaviour such as not registering mouse clicks or closing windows/browser tabs when i left click.

I already got another on order - I havent quite maxed out my credit card yet, but its seriously starting to worry me. Im spending too much money I havent got
  19. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you washed and dried your G500 yet? Some coffee might be causing short problems.

Well treat the aftermarket coolers as investments, you will be reusing them for future builds
  20. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    yeah I dried it with a hair dryer but no go I think what made it worse was that the PC was actually on at the time so the mouse was powered on/in use.
  21. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    are OCuK supposed to give you a tracking number with your order?
  22. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    Anyone got any LGA775 level hardware they're willing to offer me? Needing most things, haha.
  23. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    My Alpenfohn Peter coolers just arrived...

but they had two small packets of haribo tangfasties in the box with the two coolers :confused::confused::confused:

Opened the box - took one cooler to out to have a look then saw the small packet there and was like 'WTF IZ DAT?'

Either someone in their warehouse has a sweettooth or they are giving out free candy with deliveries valued over £100 :laugh::laugh:
  24. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    anything i order from OCUK if im desperate enough, and anything i get back from RMA comes with little packs of haribo too :)
  25. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    I will do, but not for a few months. I'm replacing my mainboard and CPU (& RAM).

:rockout: