• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The unknown future of PC gaming....

T

TAViX

Are you sure...???

Not anymore...NO.:shadedshu

Seen now the page. This sucks big time. I think they have changed this on those couple of months, because when they were talking about this game they were clear saying that those features are to advanced for consoles...WTF?!

KyleReese

System Name Skynet
Processor Core2Duo E6850 OC to 3.6GHz (stock voltage)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA -P35-DQ6 rev. 1.0
Cooling Coolermaster V8
Memory 2 x 2GB DDR2 Corsair XMS 800MHz Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Gainward Golden Sample nVidia GTX 560Ti
Storage 2 WD 320GB in Raid 0, 1 WD 250GB, 1 TB Samsung F1, 1 TB WD Green
Display(s) Samsung Touch of Color Symcmaster T260 (25,5")
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 Value
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Not anymore...NO.

Ah damn...you really made my day for a moment there....:p
I really wish they made a PC version of LA Noire built from the ground up....:D

KyleReese

System Name Skynet
Processor Core2Duo E6850 OC to 3.6GHz (stock voltage)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA -P35-DQ6 rev. 1.0
Cooling Coolermaster V8
Memory 2 x 2GB DDR2 Corsair XMS 800MHz Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Gainward Golden Sample nVidia GTX 560Ti
Storage 2 WD 320GB in Raid 0, 1 WD 250GB, 1 TB Samsung F1, 1 TB WD Green
Display(s) Samsung Touch of Color Symcmaster T260 (25,5")
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 Value
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
By the way, do you think Duke Nukem Forever will be better than Crysis 2 on the PC? :) Maybe someone should start a thread about it....

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit
I think too many people are confusing a particular company’s withdrawal from pc gaming or focus on the console market with the demise of pc gaming as a whole. Despite all the alarmists and doomsayers and notwithstanding the impact occasioned by the products of a specific developer in the past, pc gaming will survive and evolve without them, perhaps even strengthened by their absence. Marketing strategies inevitably employ references to past successes and we are bombarded with a host of sequels that often have little or nothing to do with the original game, particularly in terms of quality, we simply have to be smart enough to see through this. Rocky probably could and should have ended with the original film, but subsequent releases that have cashed in on its success don’t really detract from the quality of the first production. The same could be said of the second StarWars trilogy, the third part of the Godfather and, in all likelihood Crysis 2. Perhaps the days of being able to trust a particular franchise or company are reaching their end, but the industry as a whole, whilst suffering changes, will survive.

W

wahdangun

two word
-eyefinity/surround view
-and 3D

and btw Llano will change the shape of pc games because now generic and cheap dell tower can play modern games and make pc gaming viable and profitable again for developer

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
I see the future of PC gaming being mostly shitty console ports. Games on the PC will pretty much be stagnant until the next generation of consoles come out with stronger hardware... only then will we start to see a lot of improvement.

Coding will not change, nor will writing letters, or designing stuff with the computer.
What will 'change' is the multimedia-multinationals sucking our blood...

System Name CHAFF-G
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6 @3.8Ghz
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @3200Mhz
Video Card(s) MSi GTX 970 4GB
Display(s) 2012 model 1080p Sony BRAVIA LED TV @60Hz
Case 2007 model Cooler Master HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Nvidia HDMI Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-750
Mouse Logitech K400r / BenQ Zowie EC1
Keyboard Logitech K400r / Corsair K63
Software Windows 10 Home
In my opinion, gaming has moved downhill quite a bit. It seems to be all about fancy graphics and effects rather than actually having fun with most titles.

This generation of kids listening to all this shitty rap and hip hop who grew up playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare never saw what gaming was in it's prime. There is a select few of us who lived through the time of the Atari, NES, SNES and first 3D video game consoles such as the PSX and N64, and we will always have those memories. We're lucky enough to have grown up in such a time where gaming was evolving. I'm not alluding to anything but I haven't bought a game in quite some time, and for good reason.

I've got all my old consoles and games, and I play them regularly. All the old school resident evil titles (the good ones, 1,2,3 and 0, not the third person action shooter crap. You know, the games that actually defined survival horror), great RPG's like Threads of Fate and Final Fantasy, Legend of Dragoon, etc.

Personally I'm not at all concerned with where gaming is going because I'll always have my favorite games to play over and over again.

But yes, I do agree that gaming has gone somewhere different in the past 10 years.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
its those indie games that can make gaming better now those guys on they're piss poor budgets can push out fun games where the much larger companies can only sometimes put out rehashed storylines and repetitive garbage, im puttin my bet on the indie games.

graphics aren't everything and they prove it.

greed is murdering gaming now, years ago it wasn't really like this because many of the established developers and studios were still trying to get a foothold.

System Name Main Rig
Processor Athlon 5350
Motherboard AsRock mITX
Memory 4gb
Storage 120gb Kingston HyperX SSD
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 740N
Power Supply Corsair 430 watt
Guys, there isn't anything to worry about. I chuckle everything this thread comes up. Consoles have been around longer than home computers (hello...Atari 2600) yet PC gaming survives. PC gaming and console gaming are two totally seperate things. Yes, you can bemoan the fact that some big titles start their lives on consoles and therefore feel dumbed-down compared to titles that start development on the PC, but this whole gaming thing is a business after all, and people are in it to make money. If you want to feel special about PC gaming, stop buying the titles that were devoloped for consoles and focus on the titles that were developed for the PC, like StarCraft II, and Civ 5, and a long list of other titles.

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
its those indie games that can make gaming better now those guys on they're piss poor budgets can push out fun games where the much larger companies can only sometimes put out rehashed storylines and repetitive garbage, im puttin my bet on the indie games.

graphics aren't everything and they prove it.

greed is murdering gaming now, years ago it wasn't really like this because many of the established developers and studios were still trying to get a foothold.

They figured "don't change it if it sells like crazy". Not really their fault

System Name ARiA
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz C16 DDR4 (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 2070 Super FE
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (1TB), 850 EVO SATA (500GB), WD Ultrastar (6TB)
Display(s) Asus VG279 144 Hz IPS
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Audio Device(s) Chord Hugo 2 to lots of headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime+ 850W Gold
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600
Software Windows 10 Pro
I mostly plays mod, such as MWLL, Neotokyo, Dystopia and stuff like Red Orchestra. Doubt I will see any of them on console.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Naturally. Hundreds of millions of people use computers all over the planet, and some of them want sometimes to play something that's easily accessible, fast, and easy to learn, and that doesn't require special hardware to run (dedicated GPUs). No wonder so many people play garbage games on facebook! I just hope the game industry doesn't forget the hardcore gaming portion of PC users and turn its attention to consoles exclusively...:(
I'm thinking more and more so that indie is the future of gaming (e.g. World of Goo and Minecraft). The "industry" only cares about graphics (to make game critics excited which means they, in turn, hype it even if it is crap), multiplayer (because pirates can't pirate that), and of course, money.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
I'm an ex-PC gamer and a current console gamer. Game devs know that the console market is where the cash is at! So more and more titles will be console only or console ports :(

That's not true. Cash is also in PC gaming if you market it properly and not with methods that maybe worked fine 2 decades ago... Great example are all the indie games that share great success. And Valve games. They simply use a modern model to sell their games.

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
The average PC gamer is smarter than the average console gamer so the normal marketing tricks didn't work anymore :(

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
That's not true. Cash is also in PC gaming if you market it properly and not with methods that maybe worked fine 2 decades ago... Great example are all the indie games that share great success. And Valve games. They simply use a modern model to sell their games.

Yeah, there is still cash to be made from PC gaming. But console gaming is bigger right now. BTW, I'm not trying to defend console gaming or anything. I used to love PC gaming!

The average PC gamer is smarter than the average console gamer so the normal marketing tricks didn't work anymore :(

LOL :roll:

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
Microsoft and Sony pay millions of dollars for exclusive rights. it helps to have incentive. you can count on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim DLC being a timed exclusive. I find it interesting every platform has a company overseeing it except PC Gaming. nobody is watching out for PC Gamers interest.

It's bigger because stupid developers and even more stupid publishers allowed it. Before, consoles were far less popular (if we don't take Nintendo into consideration because they pioneered it).

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Microsoft and Sony pay millions of dollars for exclusive rights. it helps to have incentive. you can count on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim DLC being a timed exclusive. I find it interesting every platform has a company overseeing it except PC Gaming. nobody is watching out for PC Gamers interest.
Microsoft used to but they abandoned it for Xbox (especially Xbox 360).

T

TAViX

Guys, there isn't anything to worry about. I chuckle everything this thread comes up. Consoles have been around longer than home computers (hello...Atari 2600) yet PC gaming survives. PC gaming and console gaming are two totally seperate things. Yes, you can bemoan the fact that some big titles start their lives on consoles and therefore feel dumbed-down compared to titles that start development on the PC, but this whole gaming thing is a business after all, and people are in it to make money. If you want to feel special about PC gaming, stop buying the titles that were devoloped for consoles and focus on the titles that were developed for the PC, like StarCraft II, and Civ 5, and a long list of other titles.

Interesting. Besides Mass Effect 1+2, I only have bought so far games that are PC exclusive (or they were developed first for PC than ported, not the other way around): Descent Freespace 1+2, DeusEx, Unreal 1+2, Tron 2.0, first NFSs, Warcraft 1+2+3, Starcraft 1+2, C&C - mostly all, Diablo 1+2, Half Life 1 +2 + eps, Never Winter Nights, Crysis, Witcher, etc, etc...Haha. Can only draw 1 conclusion...Console ports sucks and are no interesting...mostly.

Benetanegia

I think that consoles will dissapear after the next generation or this one if they don't release a new one soon. Wireless display technologies as a mainstream solution are just around the corner so we are going to be able t see our PC in any screen on the house. The integrated graphics are going to get better and better to the point were they will be able to produce graphics that are good enough for most people except enthusiasts and on the CPU side of things they are already powerful enough to drive advanced games, 6 cores will be mainstream soon and anything more than that overkill for what we now know as gaming. Even smartphones will be powerful enough for most people (and remember that you would be able to wirelessly output to the TV and have any wireless device as an input for the phone too).

Then there's Windows 8 for ARM that will open up the door to Windows gaming on portable devices, etc.

Enthusiasts will always want more and that can only come from advanced PCs and that will stay, but consoles which are something in the middle will just dissapear IMO. If anything Sony's and M$'s consoles division will morph into PC OEM companies dedicated to creating PCs (taking into account the new definition for PC, which includes tblets, phones and who knows what comes next).

So, there will be the mainstream market, which will play from Facebook and the like in their basic computers (for the time), maybe even tablets or smartphones, except those games are going to be far more advanced than current consoles anyway.

And there will be the enthusiast PC market driving innovation. I don't see a place for consoles in the middle of those markets. Everyone needs a PC and if the basic PCs have all the functionality of a console and are just good enough for gaming, I don't see any market for consoles.

So where does that leave PC gaming? Well here is more hoping than based on facts, but I think that once the enthusiast and mainstream gaming markets belong to the same platform, developers will find a way to make games better scale between mainstream solutions and enthusiast PCs, considering that the OS, APIs and underlying hardware are the same.

Game companies like Zynga and Popcap are already making more money than "standard" companies. PC gaming is here to stay, while consoles fade away, the only question is if enthusiast PC gaming stays, and I do think it will stay at least for another 10 or 20 years, or until games are completely realistic (holodeck), whatever comes first.;)

System Name My Gaming System
Processor Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Impact (ITX)
Cooling Custom Full System Water cooling Loop
Memory G.Skill 1866 Mhz Sniper 8 Gb
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ti SC
Storage Samsung SSD EVO 120GB - Samsung SSD EVO 500GB
Display(s) ASUS W246H - 24" - widescreen TFT active matrix LCD
Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Modular PSU
Software Windows 8.1 Home Primeum
I believe PC gaming will make a come back when they make PC gaming as cheap as Console gaming. If they can do that things will take off again.

I also believe that Today's console gamers while they play for the love of the game.... also are lazy and have no interest in going for something better then what they already have. I remember back in the day one of the biggest draws to PC gaming was to be able to say Your Graphics just look better. There is no console that can compete. It was almost a badge of honor in my group of friends.
Now it's Who cares...."as long as I can play and I can do it for Cheap I don't care!"

To fix that PC would have to release something as good looking again such as DX9. When DX9 rolled around it gave a reason for consoles to step back and say shit.... our crap looks bad. Right now the DX updates and updates in graphics period!... (for the PC) have been more based off making a buck then making break through visuals.

People want to see eye candy! While Tessellation will eventually help with that.... It won't help with that as drastically as some of the other Graphics updates have in the past. So sorry to say most people don't want to spend $600 dollars or more each year just to get minor steps in technology. People want big leaps!

There are allot of other factors in this discussion too.... But I believe what I listed above...is a big part of it IMO.

As well as there is also the tendency of the human being to be just lazy and go for the easiest thing!

Processor 2500K
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V
Cooling Stock
Memory Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4x4 1866@99927 1.41v
Video Card(s) Sapphire 280x
Display(s) crossover
Case junk
Audio Device(s) usbstick
Power Supply enermax 82+pro 5years+ still good

Yep. It feels like the funlevel decreased by 80% over the past 10-20 years :(

Why is it, that the only intesting fun game is FREE game from a warcraft 3 mod :eek:

I wish, big companies wouldnt piss on gamers around the world with their copy paste crap,
but the crowd of young people buying anything is too big, i guess :shadedshu