1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's F@H Team

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by W2hCYK, Jun 10, 2006.

1. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The question is how well it does an A5 work unit AKA -bigadv or -bigbeta. Lately only Linux rigs running 12 cores or more are the ones getting -bigadv WU's (I currently have 2 P6903's running). I might borrow a setup from a friend just to see what the #'s are running Linux.
    mstenholm and KieX say thanks.
  2. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    balls to the midnight noise now i have both rigs sat by my telly in the living room, i had a friend ocupying my couch the last 3 weeks due to wife issues and i pityied him but hes gone now noise to max at midnight so i KNOw their both still workin:p

interesting i will look into the quad folding and would swap cpus but bf3's just doable now i will get that next rig someday then ill defo do some swappsies for ppd and just run 3 rigs and no central heatin at all:D
    BUCK NASTY says thanks.
  3. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    All hail 16th place! Took me a bit of work... I need help to build my i7 folder. I really need to find a 12gb kit of 1600mhz 1.5v triple channel, then I can use my current 6gb kit in the folder. I need low rise, like mushkin blackline http://ncix.com/products/?sku=60641&vpn=998995&manufacture=Mushkin Enhanced but as you can see they don't have them in stock anymore. I don't want to use 1.65v ram. Don't need to make payments on this one, will send single full payment via paypal, and you can ship when you receive it. Really need help here, our Canadian stocks of triple channel stuff is nearly gone.....
  4. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    I'll look... but to be honest... I hate that site... in the product list it says available but when you go to add to cart it says not avail... :shadedshu

... might have to get 2 dual channel kits and just keep the extra as a spare... (never know when it might come in handy... tho a bit of a waste of money i guess if its never used)

The best I can find atm is maybe get 3x of these
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=59540&vpn=PG34G1600EL&manufacture=Patriot&promoid=1282
  5. bogmali

Thanks Received:
    Based on the quoted statement I will start shutting down rigs after Thanksgiving. I will have 3 rigs that I will part out and sell (2 X58 based and 1 SB based). Details thru PMs.

Eventually I will only have 3 rigs running (2 X5670, 2 E5570, and i7-970 all running Linux).

On a separate note, it looks like -bigadv WU's will get revamped and have new requirements. SOURCE
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  6. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    hmm, never thought of it really, but I guess 2 dual channel kits could work..... right?
  7. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    yea there's nothing limited the kit to dual or w/e. its just a convenience package with all the modules being the same spec is all really. you could buy all the ram stick separately if you wanted to so long as they're they same they'll work. heck even diff brands but with same spec and timings would work. (not so much when it comes to overclocking tho.. some may overclock better than others... stick to same brand and spec and you'll be fine)

Oh, on a side note...

I've added my Phenom II x4 2.8ghz and my Pentium M 1.7ghz to folding clients. I have a question though... my Phenom II only seems to be running at about 30%... how can I get it to use more? Its the same machine with the 8800GT, see specs at side.
  8. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Dual, tri, and quad channel kits are tested to work together. With the OC'ing that he plans, the last thing I'd want is to have stability problems and wonder if it's the RAM. I'd get a quad kit and park one of the sticks if I couldn't find a tri-channel kit.

Sounds like you're running the uni-processor client on that quad. You need to run the SMP client, which will also require you to get a passkey.
    Chicken Patty says thanks.
  9. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Can anyone tell me if this is as good of a deal as it seems? (seems too good to me)
    -I know I most likely won't be able to OC, but it's still 16 cores at ~ 200 watts
    -Proprietary layout may make it difficult for me to "make it invisible" in the house
    -I'd have to buy some RAM, but could I test it with just 1 stick for each processor?
    -It's an hour drive for me
    http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/sys/2703710284.html

Thanks
  10. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    im in uk but does seem cheap id take a shotgun or several friends, but wow if genuine im ona plane
    thebluebumblebee says thanks.
  11. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    Go for it. I think you need two sticks of ECC RAM to test it.
    thebluebumblebee says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  12. bogmali

Thanks Received:
    TBB- that is a steal for that price, 1 E5520 is worth more than the asking price.
  13. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    That will most likely put a stop for me doing -bigadv in the new year. SR-2 (EUR 600) plus two 1400 EUR CPUs plus 800 EUR for the rest is more then I can justify.

Edit: Well anyother solution could be: .

CPUs: 4x AMD 6238 Interlagos ($445/CPU)
    Motherboard: TYAN S8812WGM3NR ($800)
    Memory 16 x 2GB ECC DDR3 UDIMMs (around $400)
    Hmm, do I know somebody in US? I might drop by in the new year. :)
  14. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Wow, not one quad kit available in Canada, no 1.5v tri kits... ug, not looking good for this i7 folding build. Sure wish I had done this just a few months ago.
    Edit: how well does 1st gen i7 do with 6 ram modules?
    Edit2: anyone know if this stuff will do at least 1720?: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=37150&vpn=HX3X12G1600C9&manufacture=Corsair
    Edit3: nevermind, it's 1.6v stuff...
  15. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Well Hells Bells! Looks like Stanford has gotten too righteous for it's own good. They have made too many changes without regard for the people that have spent their hard earned cash to donate these CPU cycles. I will begin parting out my -Bigadv rigs(that have not gotten any -bigadv WU's for several weeks) in December and it looks like I'm done with F@H. It's been a helluva ride boys!

P.S. Who wants to be F@H Mod???

:shadedshu:toast:
    theonedub says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Number 1 and 2 cutting production :( Didn't think I'd see that happen.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    +1

Respect dudes your works and you are legend:toast:
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  18. bogmali

Thanks Received:
    :eek::confused:

I didn't see that one coming.
  19. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    :respect::cry:
    :eek::cry::mad::banghead:
  20. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    picked up a 450GTS for cheap on craigslist an easy extra 7k PPD.
    dustyshiv says thanks.
  21. F150_Raptor

Thanks Received:
  22. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    F150_Raptor and Chicken Patty say thanks.
  23. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:

I think this is a bad choice by FAH. They are letting go of alot of good machines this way.
    I would say quad cores are the normal range, hex cores are gaining ground and octa cores are at the upper end. 16 cores is nice but far from the norm. TOO SOON!?
  24. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    The -bigadv was not meant to be run by norm PC but on the high-end stuff. That said I think that a longer notice would have been nice but at least PG (Pandegroup aka FAH) made the announcement before people rushed out for the X79/2011 CPUs which would not make the new cut of 16 treads. I have a feeling that the current -bigadv draught and this change are related. People get introduced (since that’s was is available) to new bigger SMP units and hence get used to the lower points. I will bet that the normal availability of -bigadv will not occur again. The current arsenal of i9xx will have these medium size WU in the future and the 2P/4P server rigs will get the real big ones. Would I have known that a year ago I would not have invested in two $3000 “high-end” rigs at the time. Take it or leave it – we do it for a good reason and we can stop if we fell that we are let down by PG.
  25. dustyshiv

dustyshiv

Thanks Received:
    Guys, my production had been low as my main rigs wireless adapter had gone bonkers and I was on vacation. Now all my rigs are folding and crunching full speed.
    Crunching for Team TPU