1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:
    Turbocore is disabled, cool and quiet is disabled. The cooler I'm using is Zalman CNPS 9900 MAX.

The FX-8150 is capable of 4.4 to 4.5Ghz with the CH IV Extreme Mobo from what I've read in other forums.
    Daimus says thanks.
  2. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    It is quite ok. Sometimes I forget that along with also forgetting english isn't your native language. I apologize.

Sorry, someone pissed in my wheaties this morning (@gopal, not literally :p).
    Norton and Daimus say thanks.
  3. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    My E6600 is acting really strangely....currently it's 16.5% through with a DSFL WU and has taken 22.5hrs of CPU time...it's been doing this for other WUs as well....I'm just going to leave it, however, the whole OS will be getting wiped tomorrow when I install the i7/board. I think something is just wrong with Windows, even Pandora is lagging and the system feels like a Pentium 3 :confused:
    Daimus says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    I always had problems believing the reported AMD core? temperatures but if the CPU last for 8 years running 100% 24/7 then who cares if it is off. My own AMD experience is limited to a 939 socket (3200 MHz dual core I think) and that PC didn't last long even with a after-marked cooler. All off my Intels have now run more hours at higher OC. I'm not trying to start an other AMD/Intel fight but lifetime is (also) related to the temperature of the parts in the system and if sensors read wrong your might apply insufficient cooling to them.
    ChaoticAtmosphere and Daimus say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  5. VulkanBros

VulkanBros

Thanks Received:
    I run a 8150 on a Chrosshair IV Formula board, currently 4.3 GHz - but I have been running 4.5 GHz - only downside is I have to run it with 1.42 Volts.......so I stay with 4.3 for now.....
    ChaoticAtmosphere and Daimus say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: Yea, ya need to mellow the hell out there bubba.......:roll::roll::roll:
    Crunching for Team TPU 2 Million points folded for TPU
  7. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    got a free cooler today, so turned the i5 up to 4.3 atm, i will ofc go higher when i figure this oc'ing out again, its been 8 months since ive had a pc better than a c2d.
    KieX, Radical_Edward and [Ion] say thanks.
  8. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:
    Well, with the cores never maxxing past 48c and the CPU never maxxing past 55c

that leaves 6c headroom. and from what I've seen the cpu temp is usually at 54c.

Ya the problem with the beta bios to turn these AM3 boards into AM3+ is we have to rely on LLC for voltage. It seems I'm lucky with my board as the voltage with LLC hovers between 1.34-1.36v

I guess Asus did that so they can sell their CH V boards for more control over voltage for enthusiasts.
    Norton and Daimus say thanks.
  9. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

running for the team
    hopefully it will do 4.5+
  10. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    To most of us it isn't a game like Daimus has said. I feel we are a big family trying to what we can to help man kind. I just wish there was more I could do to help. Funds are to low right now to put up anymore crunchers or to even upgrade any.

Also the experience Daimus is talking about still puts a smile on my face when I think of it knowing that as a team we helped a fellow team member. And that is far better to me then a point total at the end of the day. I also am still looking for the next thing I can do to help. :toast:

Norton, I would be hard pressed to figure some of the "new" internet slang terms. IIRC has a couple meanings out there. For example :

Interactive Illinois Report Card
    If I Recall/Remember Correctly
    International Integrated Reporting Council

And the one I would have guessed as I used to use the clients was
    Internet Relay Chat which was called iirc for some reason. I used the mirc client base and built my own script from it.
    Norton, (FIH) The Don and Daimus say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    It is a great thing to be able to help others- I too enjoy helping other Team members and always try to do so when I can. Rigs and point totals are fine but when it comes down to basics it's the work we do as a Team thru WCG that is making the difference.

On the slang terms... until I started posting here I knew WTF and LOL but these, among others, I had no clue:

LMFAO, IMO, IMHO, 1337, IIRC, epeen, pron, pwned, etc.... :rolleyes:

In any case: Crunch hard Team WCG-TPU :toast:-:rockout:-:respect:
    Daimus says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  12. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Today (since I got called in to work), I unfroze my FX machine and reduced my FX-8150 to 4025MHz/1.262v and so far temperatures have dropped about 5c. I am going to play with it more at that frequency and see what I can drop the voltage to. I think I may have a crappy bin that doesn't scale well.

It appears Bulldozer's thermal output scales with voltage almost as much as it does with frequency. I bet that's because of the 16MB total cache, as my GTX 465/470 also scale with voltage and are large cache-heavy chips. For every 12mV I drop a GF100, it seems to cool down by about 1c, sometimes more, at the same frequency.

I took my Rosewill IR thermometer gun and I read about 53c at the top of the base of the Cooler Master V8 (diode temp was 56). I couldn't get a good reading on my i7-870 but it was in the 50s as well despite the EVGA Control Panel board reading 53-78c (WCG alternating between load and pause every 10 seconds). I'm assuming the Intel Lynnfield die is significantly smaller than the AMD Zambezi die, and cannot dissipate heat as well due to the lower surface area to energy consumption ratio. My i7-2600K also runs in the 70s and probably has an even smaller die, but takes a little less power as well.

EDIT: Also bought the Xeon X3210 (G0?) to replace my original C2D E6400 L2 stepping that only gets about 15 GFLOPs. Going to bump that chip to the 4CoreDual-VSTA to replace a PentiumD 925 (10 GFLOPs) and maybe sell that really cheap on here for someone to OC to 4GHz and have their computer with a low end video card consume 300w at all times. :eek:

:toast:
    Daimus, ChaoticAtmosphere and Norton say thanks.
  13. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I am just going to take a stab here and say, though I may be wrong, but do you think the overclocks just might be half of the teams problems with rigs here lately? Knock on wood but I haven't had problems at all with my rigs except for a week old to me vidcard that took a dump upon reboot. All my rigs run at stock speeds also. Just my observation. I could be wrong here.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    It depends, I had some difficulties when I was starting up the rest of my machines, but once you dial them in nothing really seems to happen after that. I'm not too concerned about the life expectancy of much of my farm simply because I only have about 4 "decent" systems.
  15. Norton

Thanks Received:
    @Jstn7477 what settings are you running on your 1045T? I want to go up some more with mine but it's nice to check on settings from others 1st :cool:

I'm running fine at 13x240 (3120 Mhz), 2400Mhz NB, 1920Mhz HT, 1.26v (running 100% with temps under 36C cores/50C cpu with the stock heatpipe cooler)
  16. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    267*13.5, 1066 DDR2, 1.35v on an MSI K9A2 Platinum.
    Norton says thanks.
  17. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I will sort this out with them Daimus, thank you.

Don't think it is, my rigs are both at default clocks and none is uploading.
    Daimus, Norton and ThE_MaD_ShOt say thanks.
  18. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Hey Cp, how's your mom?

Also I was talking more about instability errors and hardware failures. I was having upload problems earlier today as wcg was down due to maintenance. And there are still doing maintenance. :toast:

On a side note just for kicks and giggles earlier I cranked the multipler up to 17 on the 960t just to see if it would go and it booted and ran fine at 3.4. I cranked it back down to default as I haven't found a good temp monitoring program for Linux yet. Atleast one that does it real time and not in terminal.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
    Daimus, Norton and Chicken Patty say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Ah, my bad, should've read that slower :roll:

She's okay. Still a bit wacko but it's a slow recovery. Just hoping that over time she'll be completely normal again. But other than that, shes doing fairly well. Thank you.
    Daimus and ThE_MaD_ShOt say thanks.
  20. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Im going to be selling my 500R i5 2400 setup to fund a mITX Bitfenix Prodigy build with another i7.

I like having 2 PCs on WCG, but the 500R and 650D absolutely kill my desk space.
    [Ion], ThE_MaD_ShOt and Chicken Patty say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Hell man I don't even use my desk anymore :roll: I have 3 full systems on it (960t, 970be, A64 x2) The computer I use the most is on a computer cart in a corner of the living room with the 555.

Oh and Daimus, we now will refer to Norton as a 7 star or 4 start depending which starts you look at, general in the Crunching army. :toast:
    Daimus, theonedub and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Norton

Thanks Received:
    That 960T will crunch all day at 3.6Ghz,2400NB, and at 1.38v or less (stays cool too!)

Glad to hear she's getting better Cap'n :toast:

You're all nuts :laugh:
    Daimus and Chicken Patty say thanks.
  23. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    But you gotta be, to deal with all of you :p
    Norton says thanks.
  24. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I just bump the multipler up just to see if it would take it. I got bored. The 970 is next. Hell with the rest of them. I don't even know if I want to start trying to play with the locked chips.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Good luck with the sale :toast:
    I assume you're going with a 3770k?
    That's dedication to the cause! :rockout:
    :roll:
    Crunching for Team TPU