1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:
    :confused:
  2. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I'm working towards a C4SW milestone, so I have my laptop, desktop, and PentDC computer all set to get nothing but C4SW WUs (which, if it worked out, would give me just over two weeks of runtime a day). WCG doesn't seem to have many C4SW WUs in the queue, so about half of the time that a computer goes and requests WUs, it gets a random mix of WUs from the other projects instead ;)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Go luck on that Ion. From what I read last night C4SW is just about done. They will be ending that project anytime now.

Also question for the team. Why does heat matter so much for someone buying something? I can understand the seller may need good heat in the buyers eyes. But why would it matter for the buyer to have good heat? I mean if you are getting the money first anyway whats there heat have to do with it? You got paid so there part of the deal is done right away first thing.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:
    So, you're a PPD whore are you? Set your rigs to do all projects as I'm set to do and you will not only get more ppd but most importantly, help humanity.
  5. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I am set to do all. The only exception is on the slower 2 rigs (4400+ x2 and the i5 yes the i5 is actually shittier at crunching then the 4400+ x2 ) I have them do stuff that is shorter on time because the time consuming stuff can tie them up for almost a day per result. I also will make a change if I have problems with a project.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Any particular situation? I may be missing something but maybe just in case in the future you need to deal with the buyer again, it kinda tells you what kinda person he is. Someone with a good heat record is probably going to be more understanding a a better individual than someone who just rips people off. But that's about it, solid as to why.
    stinger608 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    No particular situation I just notice people asking for heat from buyers. For me I would care about heat from someone buying as much as someone selling. I was just wondering out of curiosity.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah me too man, what I said above is just a reason "maybe" why and still it's not a concrete reason. I'm curious to know too! Like you said, as long as I get the money first, it's all good. Let's say you use PayPal, there's no chance of PayPal removing the money after it's transferred to you right? Due to a scam on part of the buyer per say?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    :mad:

I like to do one project at a time so I can build up a certain badge at it, then I'll switch to another one, and run it until I have a high-level badge in it. I chose C4SW because the short WU times make it more exciting to watch. In the end, I do all of the projects, but just not in the same manner as you do.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. stinger608

stinger608

Thanks Received:
    It is more or less kind of like Ebay feedback. It tells perspective buyers the feedback that the seller has received.

Things like good communication, quick shipping, safely packaged, easy to work with, etc...

I personally am pretty skeptical when it comes to people with little to no heat and have 0 seller feedback on sites like Ebay. I will not deal with people that have negative feedback on Heatware at all.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:
    Okay ION, I'm sorry. I'm a ppd whore myself which is why I got 4 rigs running now. However, I run all projects across all 4 rigs equally and my badges are impressive as a result. Just an FYI. I recommend it :)
  12. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    That's a strong statement. While I also advocate crunching whatever WUs the WCG servers assign, I won't go so far as to invalidate the contribution even crunching for one project is. Any crunching you do is going to help even if you are badge chasing or going at it solely for maximum PPD, but I'm sure even those who 'cherry pick' projects understand there is more to WCG than points and badges. I challenge those to prove they do by opening their preferences and opting in to all projects they meet the requirements for :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Fair enough. I don't choose certain projects just for their PPD, I choose them so I can pull badges. If I'm running 4 projects at once, I'd then only get ~3-4 days of runtime/project/day, so badges would take forever, and that wouldn't work well with my short attention span. As-is, I can get ~15/day, and even the higher-level badges are within reach. Once I have sapphire badges in all current projects, then I branch out and run everything again :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:
    I disagree. I have a ruby badge for Fighting Aids at home while other projects are lagging. for me it's not about badges or PPD but more so contributing to the world community in any way I can.

See above.

EDIT: My electricity bill was $271 last month for Air conditioning to keep them all cool. I do this by choice. Not looking for accolades.
  15. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    I tried to set mine up so I would run the same projects on the same rigs but I backed off on trying that for a little while as most of the rigs seem fine with all projects.. except:

- one rig (the FX-6100) has an issue with CEP 2- I think it's a Vista issue because the hardware changed 3 times and the error didn't

- The 6100 and 6200 rigs seem to have dropped off in output... need to explore why a bit more before I move the projects around on them.
    ChaoticAtmosphere says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  16. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    As far as I know the money is yours once it's transferred.
    I totally agree with you stinger but we are wondering why A buyer would need good heat. If they pay up front would there heat really matter? The only reason I can think of would be if someone were to say that they never received a item, or it was screwed up or something when in fact they did just to open a dispute with paypal. Now Amazon payment from what I here you can't dispute or anything. Your on your own sending payments with them with no recourse no matter what.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Not to knock Ion, I follow CA's philosophy here. I run any projects they'll throw at me. I do like seeing myself having a higher PPD, as I've been enjoying pretty much on a daily basis as I see my i7 speed up (and I should get to see it in stereo once the postman decides to give me my 1090t), as that means I'm helping getting that much more work done. Badges, though, are of no concern to me. As I see it, every project has a specific purpose and I'll run whatever work units they'll send my way. I don't care what my badges look like or how many of them I have.
    [Ion] and ChaoticAtmosphere say thanks.
  18. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:
    Yes, and thank you Bill. I will back off on a project if it is producing errors. However, that tells me that My overclock is not good. so I back off on it then add the project back and all is good. :)
  19. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, if I start seeing a bunch of errors I blame my system and work at getting it fixed. Can't be having errors...
    ChaoticAtmosphere says thanks.
  20. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    You're preaching to the choir. I crunch all projects I meet the min requirements for and have done so for the last 3yrs and 3.5million points with no intention of changing.

I do think your view is extremely short sighted though. What if someone has a family member affected my Muscular Dystrophy and they decide to crunch HCMD WUs 100% because of their personal connection to the disease. You want to invalidate that contribution because they cherry pick projects? I don't think that's fair.

Really, the only reason WCG probably created badges was to add extra incentive for people to Crunch. Competition, prestige, good will, or what ever else that drives you- the end result is the same: donated CPU cycles for projects that will help others in some way shape or form. I, for one, won't segregate or judge based on people's motives on why the units were crunched- I'm just happy they got done.
    [Ion] says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. stinger608

stinger608

Thanks Received:
    If a buyer is "shifty" in that he or she complains when receiving the product, or claims its DOA and gets a refund yet doesn't send the item back........That kind of thing. Even if a person never sells, and is nothing but a buyer he or she can still get negative heatware.

I once refused to sell to a person that had several bad evaluations as a buyer due to bad claims that the package was damaged, never received the product, DOA, and one or two other things.

Of course this led to the seller getting a bad rep as well. It is a vicious circle, or at least can be.

I guess what I am saying/asking, is can you kind of see where a seller would kind of like to see a buyers evaluations?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    In stereo,

I am set to do all. The only exception is on the slower 2 rigs (4400+ x2 and the i5 yes the i5 is actually shittier at crunching then the 4400+ x2) I have them do stuff that is shorter on time because the time consuming stuff can tie them up for almost a day per result and I rather finish a bunch of results per day as it feels I am doing more good for the projects.

:toast:

Okay I am seeing the light now. Makes sense. It protects the seller from a shady buyer also no matter if they payed quick or not. Thanks man for explaining that. :toast:
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:
    I'm not preaching. I have a huge family and one died of a massive stroke (my mom), one died of cancer (my Grandpa), I have nobody in my family who has contracted malaria but I would not want to contract it. nobody has contracted AIDS or HIV in my family but I have friends who've died of it. I have no idea what schicisicitoma or leishmeisisias is but I hope to hell me or anybody I know gets it, that includes you. Get my drift??? TY Dub. ;)

Awesome! :toast:
  24. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    No offense, Chaotic, but I don't think you understood a word of what I posted. Let's just leave it at that, I'm sure other people will and do understand exactly what I meant.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    It's hard to gauge that. Some people may cherry pick projects because it gets them more points or a different color badge to flaunt around... I'm not a big fan of that practice, but whatever. Some may cherry pick because they think finding a cure for AIDS is a more worthwhile goal compared to growing better rice... that's understandable. Or, like you mentioned, maybe someone decided to make muscular distrophy their personal enemy because it affects someone in their family, so they put that one high up on the shit list.

All in all, personally I run all projects because I want to run anything they can throw at me. Cleaner water? Why not? Get rid of AIDS? Sounds good. Better rice? Load it up. I do like to see my points pile up as that means I'm getting more done, but I could care less what color my badge is or how many of them I have. If someone is cherry picking projects, I'm not gonna hunt them down and start shit over it. It's not worth potentially creating hostilities over what project they choose to or not to run, and if you want to get to the bottom line, it's their computer anyway, they can do what they want with it. There's no reason I can tell somebody "stop doing that, do it this way".