1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:
    I understand exactly what you meant. Unfortunately there is not a project for breast cancer. which my aunt died of.

And without your input. I'm not sure if ION is short of clean water but I'm certain he has nobody in his family that is short of it.

I fully undestood your post. now stand down please?

2. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    I've seen that on mine too. I'll get errors or BSOD's if I go too high

This is not the clocks.... 3 different CPU's, a variety of different clocks (even stock), different mobo's and ram.... same error :banghead: It's either the HDD or Vista and HDD tested out fine. I'll likely quit CEP2 on that rig until I can pick up another Win7 license or go to Linux on it.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    No, that is not what I am talking about at all. I'm thinking there may be a language barrier here.

What I am saying is that regardless of what project someone crunches or why they choose to do it, the end result is still completed WUs. Ignore the motivation, look at the results.

mjkmike says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:
    I read your post clearly DUB. I respect it. If one wants to do MS research alone because they have someone suffering for it. Awesome, if they want to dedicate all their idle cycles to that :respect::respect::respect::respect::respect:

However...... go back and read. ION knows what I'm talking about.

I'm going to listen to some Lady Gaga now.

5. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I am not having any problems with any projects on my Vista rig Norton. Hell I am not having any problems with projects on any rig right now knock on wood. :banghead: :roll:

Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    Sweet, found a Seagate 7200.11 500gb for my sista. Warranty until June 2013, I just flashed to SD1A firmware. Rebuilding, and installing BOINC on a x4 635 @ 30% :)

ChaoticAtmosphere, [Ion] and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Norton

Thanks Received:
    I haven't a clue why??? That wu just stinks on that rig???? :banghead:

Woot! :rockout: :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    I hope I will get my 4 star now, but for sure, this winter with my i5 go back from 50 to 100%, I will get it :D

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Enjoy the Lady Gaga, but while she dances around in a meat suit and serenades you in songs about her poker face and the paparazzi, know that you still have no clue what I am talking about.

Those crunching projects related to illnesses that affect them was only one example of a reason to cherry pick, nothing else. My point is, and always has been, that it is unfair to judge another person's reasoning on what they choose to crunch or why they do so. Just because they dont do all projects like you and I does not make their contribution any less valuable. You do it for the 'cause'- great! Someone else does it for badges- more power to them! That's it.

mjkmike says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    Guys!!!

It is obvious there is a difference in opinions. Please don't get into a heated argument with the end result in one or both leaving the team. :cry:

As I see it, it really doesn't matter who crunches for what, or if a person crunches all WU's. What matters is that we are all crunching!!! It matters not that a person crunches one specific unit. Hell, there are other people crunching another specific unit somewhere else.......Maybe not for the TPU team, but that really doesn't matter to be honest.

We are all in this together for the same reasons.......To hopefully help with the fight to cure nasty ass illnesses in this world...........That is the bottom line!!!!

mjkmike and theonedub say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  11. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Guys, at the end of the day we all crunch however we want. As long as we are crunching that's what matters! :toast:

One project or all it's just preference. Let's let the topic cool off a bit shall we? It's Friday, just chill out and enjoy the night. :)

stinger608 and theonedub say thanks.
  12. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    ^^ That's all I've been saying all night, thanks :toast:

mjkmike says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Guys, I really didn't mean to start an argument over this. As long as you're crunching, it's still a valuable contribution, and greatly appreciate. If it's just a Pentium 4 or a 48-core Opteron, it's still valuable. Likewise, whether you run every project under the sun, or just one that is most dear to you, again, it's still appreciated. If you run all HFCC, then the mix of WUs that the "all projects" folks get will have slightly fewer HFCC WUs in it--WCG still gets the same valuable research done :toast:

ThE_MaD_ShOt and Chicken Patty say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    sometimes its good to get things vented a bit, its needed imo :)

i crunch whatever i want, i also did the clean water thingie a lot a while back, so yeah, love the ppd :) and i only have one system so want the most of it lol :)

ChaoticAtmosphere and Norton say thanks.
  15. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Speaking of which, what's your take on these? What kind of PPD would they produce? Take this one for example...

AMD Opteron 6272 Interlagos 2.1GHz 16MB L3 Cache S...

Following the PII x4 formula here... a 2100MHz PII x4 does 1386PPD, so if we multiply that by 4 we should see 5544PPD. I don't think that's all that impressive, considering a single 2600k could probably outdo that.

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I reallity the Phenom would probably get around 2k ppd and if you multiply that by 4 it would be 8k ppd. :toast:

I have a Phenom II x4 at 3000 mhz which does right at 3k ppd.

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:
    Not judging. Seems more to me that you are. Let's end this here please pretty please. Do what you do for your own reasons and let me and ION be alone.

18. popswala

popswala New Member

Thanks Received:
    I soo can't wait to score a am3+ chip to fully utilize this awesome board. I'm looking for something along the lines of a fx 6/8 core but time will tell. Just ned to get a freakin job again. Lousy economy.

I have no clue whats going on up there lol.

How does those fx 6xxx/8xxx chips do? anyone with any post up some ppd for them so I can get a general comparison idea.

19. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I'm going by the core speed of that 16 core processor, though. The highest they go is 2.6GHz by stock settings, and I have no idea if socket G34 can be overclocked.

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    They suck. Gopals awesome p4 smack there ass all over the place. :rockout::rockout:

Hell even my shitty i5 kicks the crap out of a fx core. And it gets beat by my 4400+ x2

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    How can you possibly have a shitty i5?

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Hell hat that thing has got to rock. My 4400+ x2 939 system does anywhere from 900 to 1200 ppd.

Laptop. It does right at 500 ppd. I don't crunch much with it. I did for about 2 days this week and the highest day was 543 ppd.

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. popswala

popswala New Member

Thanks Received:
    from all you guy's exp, Whats a good am3/+ chip for crunchin but still good for gaming and everyday stuff?

24. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I have no clue what kind of PPD the bulldozer chips would do, but according to Ion's PPD estimator a Phenom II x6 at 4GHz would do around 4200ppd.

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Norton

Thanks Received:
    My rigs are open in FreeDC and so is Daimus' you can look up what they do at your leisure. I would suggest an FX-8150 as that is the best one I have running but the overclocked 1045T@3.1Ghz is getting pretty darn good results atm.

They all do OK for everyday stuff

popswala says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU