1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    It started with weird artifacts every now and then. Now I am getting driver crashes. I am not going to kill my gpus for extra points. I am also not in the position right now to replace burned out parts. Christmas is to close and my kids come first. I don't have these problems when gaming and such. So for right now I changed drivers to the 12.6's and will see what happens there but I did stop the download of wu's. At least until I get it figured out. That and they have did this to my ass.

10/14/2012 12:32:02 PM World Community Grid Message from server: This computer has finished a daily quota of 150 tasks

So I only will get 150 units anyway and this is probably due to the fact of the units that are erroring out on me.

I am thinking of offloading the guts of 2 crunchers. Which would consist of the mobo, proc, mem, cpu cooler and possibly the gpu. And it most likely will be atleast one of the x2 555 that are unlocked and overclocked if not both. If I don't sell both of the x2's then the other one will be the 960t rig.

Daimus and brandonwh64 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    That sucks, I'm sorry :(

I've been having no such issues--I assume these are the HD6850s? Are they staying reasonably cool? Are they OCed? Are they getting enough power?

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    No overclock on them, they are hanging in the low 50's and plenty of power. The psu has power to spare for these. I was running 2 4870's in crossfire before these with the same psu and had no issues with them. The problems only happen when crunching on them. I can game for hours without issues. Oh and yes these are the 6850's.

Here is a pic of a small artifact I just got. It's the green and red dot at the top center.

[​IMG]

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I could DEF use that x2 555 :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Brandon I may have something special for you. LOL

Alright guys If I do sell this combo will be one that goes.

Mobo : Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H MATX
    Cpu : Phenom II x2 555 Unlocked to x4 and over clocked to 3.4. It can do more. This is just where I stopped that night.
    Mem : 2 x 2gb 1333 or 1600 ddr3. I can't remember whats in it. I know it's 2 x 2gb

Also This will probably be the other

Mobo : Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P or a Msi 770 - G45 Haven't made my mind up which one of the 2 I want to keep. I am leaning toward keeping the 770 as it is basically the twin to my 870 g45 system.
    Cpu : Phenom II x2 555 Unlocked to x4 and clocked at 3.5
    Mem 2x 2gb ddr 2 800 or if the 770 goes 2x 2gb ddr3 1600
    I can throw a gpu in with this combo for a little extra.

I may sell the 960t with one of the combos.

If anyone is interested in these combos let me know.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
    brandonwh64 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    The drive is dead, it's not even getting detected. I have to check the drive, but I don't think it's in warranty anymore. I'm on my rig as we speak, my RAID-5 is running degraded, but it runs. One of the best things about RAID-5 is how you can still use the RAID even if you've lost a drive, so downtime is minimal. I just limit my writes to my raid when this happens. In fact I'm backing up everything to be on the safe side.

As for a replacement... I went to go out and got this and as I was leaving to come back home my exhaust broke and battery died. Doh! I got the exhaust wired up but I had to call AAA for a jump. :banghead:

[​IMG]

Edit: It looks like my drive that failed might be one of my drives that is still under warranty. WD will be hearing from me tomorrow.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
    Norton says thanks.
  7. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Damn, you've been through a lot today. At least everything happened over the weekend instead of some other very important time. :toast:

I've been away from the forums as usual, but all my rigs are working hard for that bright green pie slice. I might have to cut down my farm by January as my parents just bought a "new" 6000 sq ft facility to conduct their business in and I may not be allowed to use as much power as I am now. We'll see, but the new GPU WUs are awesome and it's nice to see the substantial points increase, even though I only have my 7950 set to do GPU WUs. I'll keep you guys posted if anything happens, but for now, I'm striving to get every last point out of my machines. :)

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  8. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    That's a sweet disk there! :respect:
    I've never used Caviar Blacks...fast, but I've always cheaped out and gone with the Blues :ohwell:

If you had a stickshift car, you could have roll/push started it ;)

@ Justin: About how long is it taking the HD7950 to do these GPU WUs?

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    They all say 0.02 and I get 29-35 points each.

10. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    So maybe a minute and a half then? Can you check in BOINC manager what the time is right after they finish?

If so, that's absolutely amazing...nearly 40k PPD from a single GPU :eek:

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    I too, for various reasons, will finish the GPU WUs that have already been downloaded and then will only crunch on the CPU.

ThE_MaD_ShOt says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    That happened to me too. When I went to abort the WUs my rig did a hard reset. I also found that running with crossfire enabled was dropping performance on my second GPU by 30% but only when the first GPU was active, where disabling CFX got me that power back. :confused:

New WD Black is in and my RAID is rebuilding. I was going to re-install Windows but didn't quite have time for that today. I also added a case fan to my side panel. GPU temps dropped significantly (about 10 degrees Celsius.) :rockout:

Edit: I just realized that I have to take my rig down again. I forgot to put the CFX cable back in. Doh! (I cleaned up my coolers with some compressed air while I was replacing the HDD.)

[Ion] says thanks.
  13. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I have 30 left and and then I will call it that. I may do a few here and there but I am not going to run them 24/7 with this combination in this rig.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Brief power outage killed my Linux machine again. When I powered it back on the MB made me restore UEFI defaults and now every WU it runs crashes with Computational Error between 5-15mins in to it.

I'm hoping its just the USB stick, but with the board making me restore defaults I am thinking there is a chance the RAM or MB may have issues. Think I might sell the AsRock/G530 combo as is and replace it with the i7-860/ASUS P7 combo I have- and add a real HDD/SSD :eek:

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    That sucks :(
    You're having the worst luck with that setup--and I'm lost as to why :(
    You should be able to run Memtest from the Ubuntu flash drive--try that :)

That i7 rig would be a good bit faster too :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I just tried to run Memtest from the NetbootIn Boot Menu and it said that it couldn't run due to some Kernel being outdated?? I can still boot into Ubuntu though, can I just DL the program from the Software Center and run it? (No optical drive in this PC so my self boot memtest disc is useless).

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I've never seen that error. I have no idea if there is Memtest in the SS--I guess you can check? And can you take off the cover and hook up an ODD?

theonedub says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I don't think I have an ODD anywhere- the one from my 650D has disappeared :laugh: Ill run some diagnostics tonight or later in the week. Thanks for the ideas.

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    There's a few programs out there that will mount an iso to a usb drive. A quick search should find a few that are easy to use. I use a Microsoft version to mount my Windows installs when I setup a new rig ;)

[Ion] and theonedub say thanks.
  20. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    For Linux Unetbootin is the best choice to make bootable drives with a cd .iso loaded onto them..

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
    Daimus and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. gopal

gopal

Thanks Received:
    Patna, Bihar, India, Asia, Earth, Terron System, M
    See the WCG Daily Score Thread, i have posted something there.

22. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Looks like WCG is limiting access to WU's by only allowing us to keep 10 or so WU's of each project ready to start in the BOINC Manager :wtf:

I don't have a link to the WCG forum post atm but this is supposed to be a temporary fix for a scheduling problem they're having iirc. In either case this is going to suck for crunchers who run some of their rigs remotely.... like me :banghead:

Check your settings folks... it would suck running out of work due to a network communication setting that's too high. :shadedshu

Daimus says thanks.
  23. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Aha...that would explain why I have seen messages in BOINC saying "reached daily quota" :(

I don't much like it--I like being able to keep a steady 3-day buffer in case something goes wrong :ohwell:

I guess if you haven't already, make sure that the rig is doing every single project so it can at least hold more WUs?

Norton and Daimus say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. F150_Raptor

Thanks Received:
    Well the Sr-2 is down, the south bridge fan is making alot of noise. :banghead: Trying to see if I can locate one some how. I just can't win, oh well.

25. KieX

Thanks Received:
    That's a bummer. I've been looking for a spare for a while without much luck, hopefully over in the USA you got better chances than myself. Do let me know if you find a replacement.

Do you have enough space to point a high performance fan at the heatsink airflow gaps?