1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    Guys how much of a difference does l2 cache have on ppd?
    I have sitting here an athlon ii x2 220 and a x2 240
    Both have a stock vcore of 1.4v and both hit 3.5ghz easy on stock volts.
    Price for both are the same. I borrowed both from 2 different frieneds. They told me I can use them,overclock them and test them out and see which I like better before I pay them.
    Both seem to run the same temps,both overclock the same for 24/7 use.
    So the question goes back to, how big of a difference does l2 cache make?

BTW upping the clock speed from 2.8ghz to 3.5ghz took ~30mins off of the time it takes per-task to get done. Does that seem right? (this is on the X2 220)
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  2. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Got the new 7770 installed:
    [​IMG]

Only problem I have with the two HIS 7770 GPU's is that for some reason I cannot monitor their temps. The cards stay nice and cool by touch, not like the two 580's which are pretty hot...
    Don't know why I can't see their temps though...
    Chicken Patty says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Maybe HIS uses different sensors than the stock and Sapphire cards? Try GPU-Z or HWMonitor. Or CCC.
    HammerON says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. HammerON

Thanks Received:
    Tried GPU-Z, AfterBurner, Trixx, and Precision with no luck. I will try HWMonitor...
    CCC doesn't have the Performance option for some reason...
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Maybe without the nvidia cards/drivers.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. HammerON

Thanks Received:
    Yeah. I am begining to think there may be a conflict. I am just happy to be able to run all 4 GPU's in the same system:)

And I made a mistake. They are VisionTek cards....
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    SekeRob:

"For comparison: The record before the double image packaging was 1,357,710 (Nov.12) single image results. The projected double image validations for today, Nov.27, is 830,224 or 1,660,448 single images, an up by 22% over the old record... so sorry, but based on what I knew, that's leaving 65 days (The this morning adjusted algo result)

Crunch On, (and you better hurry if you had any serious badge level in mind ;)"

and yes we are talking about HCC.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  8. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I'm honestly not sure ATM. I've been trying to do some tests on my HPs and older laptops, but I have confounding variables that's making it hard (namely, some run Vista, some run 7, and some run Ubuntu). I'll look at my numbers and see what info I can dredge up :toast:
    And as far as the time difference goes--what sort of percentage increase is this? Because HCC completes far, far faster than CEP2.
    That's awesome! :D
    And it's not like the GTX580s are that hot...they're sure running cooler than the GTX470s I have :p
    Thank you for keeping us updated! It's awesome to see how much time the GPU applications have chopped off of this-but it is a shame that our cards will be idled in two months :(
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Well the 6950's are back online this morning. For now my network connection issues have been fixed. I got a router from Edward and it works great until you start downloading heavily (large files like steam games). It would boot loop once it had over loaded and I would have to unplug it and wait about 2 minutes then connect it back and it would be fine until I started downloading again. My boss brought me a nice access point that he used in his home last year so I took it and a Pentium 4 combo loaded with IPfire and created a custom firewall/DHCP server. I downloaded most of the games I have in my steam collection and it ran 2.5-3.2mbps strong the WHOLE TIME even while I browsed the web with no slow downs or disconnects. I am planning on building a silent cooled ITX system to serve and my router 24/7 but for now I have a mATX MB tray with this P4 combo in it.
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    My bad Brandon. I checked it before I shipped it out to you, guess I should have checked it better than I did. :ohwell:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    its ok man, I think it was just getting too hot at heavy loads, I bet if I modded the top with one of those slim 80mm fans that was on the cooler you sent me, it would be fine. When I would have to reboot it, It was quite warm to the touch.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    I'd just open it up and check it. Maybe make a small heatsink for the processor if it didn't have one.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Yea that should work. I have a family member that needs a router though so I will probably "Pay it forward" and gift it to her. She is a good person and I would like to help her out cause I was helped when I was in need :)

You are a good man ed!
    Chevalr1c and Radical_Edward say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Great---WCG is shut down for maintenance again :rolleyes:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    By now I think we all got used to it and hence have a small buffer. At least this time I'm good for 1-2 hours. When I run the app_info file my estimate time for one GPU unit goes up to around 2 hours (is 5-6 min) so even if I set the minimum buffer to a high number I never have more then 100 at any given time.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  16. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I picked up two more of the HP SFFs tonight and a bunch of HDDs. I'm installing Vista on one HP later, and if I can get my laptop to properly create a Win7 flash drive I'll set up the Atom after this.
    manofthem says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Congrats on all your shweet deal you get!
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  18. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
  19. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Finally got BOINC fixed on the machines I was having problems with. It wasn't an issue with permissions at all, but rather the client (7.0.27) seems to think by default that the computer is always being used and it won't do anything until you dig up the menu and tell it to always do work and network communication.

So, that means I got my other 939 X2 system going, but I also readded my Pentium M laptop, Turion64 ML-37 laptop and a single core s754 Athlon64 3500+. With those three I can probably get about 1200-1500 PPD I think.
    Norton and [Ion] say thanks.
  20. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I could have theoretically gotten more, but I had to carry them on two buses and then all the way across campus. Two seemed like it would be enough. I'll get two more next week in all likelihood :)
    That's the tool I'm using--but every time I try my flash drives (4GB ones) it says that the process failed. I've borrowed an 8GB one from a friend and it seems to be working :toast:
    Ooh, single cores :p

I draw the line at anything older than a C2D or AMD X2. To me, a Pentium D, P4, or AMD A64 just isn't worth the size and effort it takes. But that extra PPD sounds great :)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    If I paid for the electricity, it would be a different story. Threw them up to see if WCG will finish off their lives as they are pretty much useless for anything else I do.
  22. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I understand entirely. It's free electricity that lets me run all of these HPs. But for me, space really is the bigger concern--there just isn't that much space available in a standard college dorm room :ohwell:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Took a little time tonight to hopefully rid my main PC of some overclocking bugs. Going to let it run WCG on the CPU and GPU and see what the status is in the morning- should have me back on my 8-12hr minimum daily average run time.

Now to find time to get the other i7 running perfect.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I know we usually celebrate BOINC milestones--but I saw this in WCG this morning and was just too thrilled not to share it:
    [​IMG]

All six of the HPs are up and crunching right now:
    [​IMG]
    As is the Atom, which blows chunks for crunching. I have literally not seen a system this slow for WCG. At least it runs sub-50C even with no fan and doesn't draw enough electricity to turn on the PSU fan.
    mjkmike, KieX, Norton and 3 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Been 2nd in the stats for my country for just over a year and will probably never be 1st as that spot is occupied by Bankinter (bank which is also normally top 10 producer for WCG).

Thanks to GPU WU's though, I was closer than ever before at nearly 1/3 of it's output (maybe more today?)
    [​IMG]

PPD craze has bit me, so this was a small moment of joy. :D