1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What are your plans for Windows 7 ?

Discussion in 'TPU Frontpage Polls' started by W1zzard, Jul 15, 2009.

?

What are your plans for Windows 7 ?

Poll closed Oct 23, 2009.
  1. I'll take a look soon and then decide if it's right for me

1,555 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. I'm happy with XP

2,671 vote(s)
    18.1%
  3. I'm happy with Vista

1,376 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. Can't wait to switch (I have tried the RC)

5,683 vote(s)
    38.5%
  5. Can't wait to switch (I haven't tried any beta yet)

1,180 vote(s)
    8.0%
  6. I'll wait till it's more mature (Service Pack 1)

1,244 vote(s)
    8.4%
  7. No thanks. Too expensive, not much new

1,048 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i just got my legit key today from technet :) yay for legit windows 7!

and yeah, CoD games from infinity ward always looked damned sweet - cod4 has excellent graphics even by todays standards.

2. roast

roast

Thanks Received:
    For years, I was running Windows 98, which was an amazing OS compared to 95 or ME or 2000. I skipped all of these and switched to XP full-time just after SP1 was released. Since then, I have been using XP.
    I was very opposed to using Windows Vista, due to the problems my customers would experience. I toyed with vLite'ing the OS, but even that couldnt make it better. There was features I certainly enjoyed, but the cons outweighed the pros.

Tried the RC (build 7100) a few months ago, and have been using it since! Have not used XP on my main rig since....its just that good! its the best OS Microsoft have ever developed

Cant wait to get the RTM later today.

-Mick.

3. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Come on people , RC was a joke , it made my high end machine go almost to scrap , after it updated it made BIOS CHECKSUM ERROR , thank god I have dual bios the data was recovered. And no it was NOT the battery.

Vista lasted on my HDD 1 day
    Win 7 RC lasted one week on an new HDD (while it was used about 3 days total for testing)

I don't think full Win 7 will last any longer , it's out of it , XP for the win.

It's just a joke , Windows's are for business , office , not for gaming and stuff teenagers like.

If they would expect any market, they should release 2 versions of Win every 6 years, one of IT/office/business/ and one for Profesional/gaming/home ; Not the crap they're doing now, 5 different versions of same OS , and subversions just stripped features , That's stupid, of course I would always buy the best version. This will make the timeframe actually reasonable for developers as the industry doesn't like 3 year interval Windows renewal, too little.

Plus people don't even need to buy another OS every 3 years. What happend to M$, it just sucks. Pretty much like EA.

Also just don't get me started on details , there is TONS of same ANNOYANCES and CONFUSIONS that weren't fixed all way back from XP. Idiots.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  4. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    The only thing I find frustrating about Windows 7 so far is how many times I've gone 'where the hell are the advanced options'? For instance, I want to mess around with my network adapter hardware settings, but I can't access those anywhere from the 'Network' window. So far as I can tell anyways. I almost sometimes feel that I need to trick my computer in order to do high end power user type stuff because it only displays the simple options otherwise.

5. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    most stuff is hidden in plain sight in windows 7.

to get the advanced networking stuff, right click the network icon near your clock 'open network and sharing' - then its the stuff on the left. change adapter settings, changed advanced sharing settings. its all right there.

6. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish

Thanks Received:
    I will admit that I do like how the grouped everything together in 7, but I'm still not going to buy it.
    I don't want to bother with trying to back up my stuff off my main rig and finding all my bookmarks and all the hassle of all that.
    However, if I did get 7, I would probably install it on a different hard drive or something. But as of now, I'm fine with XP x64

7. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    Yea, so far I've chalked it all up to 'still learning layout, it'll all make sense later'. Still is kind of annoying though when you're sitting in a window knowing where you need to go and where it used to be, only its not there now. It makes me yearn to punch things.

8. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    i'll be sticking with vista ultimate. I voted too expensive and not much new.

9. troyrae360

troyrae360 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im gonna stay with Vista 64 ultimate for atleast a year i think, vista dose everything i need it to, runs all my programs, its very stable, looks nice, feels nice and it seem fast enough for me(i here alot of people saying its slow). I'll probley get another 4gb ram and a new cpu before i even think about buying a new OS :)

10. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    Well I have W7 pro now, but i can't wait for the official release, or just some updates all around,I don't mean MS,
    [​IMG]
    a new raid driver from AMD would be really nice

11. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

my CPU would be capped since i have a 'mere' dual core.

dont know what you mean about official release, 7600 is the official release.

12. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    I mean I hope by then more driver's geared towards W7 will be available instead of reworked Vista64 drivers , I know it's out, but I mean General Availability, like when you can go to the store and buy it, as for now I have no updates(none available) and several are needed

13. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    big problem i didn't catch that on the screen shot I'll update that on my next reboot
    HT link reverts to 1600 after reboot it's set in the bios but i have to change it to 1800 in AOD..WHY?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  14. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    ah i getcha.

the thing is, windows 7 and vista share a driver model - vista drivers *are* 7 drivers.

i've certainly had windows updates for drivers and other things, what updates are you talking about?

15. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    chipset,raid,audio,Radeon 9.8 seems a little flaky in XF in 7 never consistent.ACC causes system instability had to disable it could just be my cpu though, not sure if prefetch in bios works right, I've had to mingle quite a bit to get everything working right

16. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    ATI's drivers are just shit lately, nothing to do with 7 :( lets hope they sort it out soon (nvidias having issues too, but as i dont have Nv cards i'm not suffering from them)

chipset, raid, audio... 100% the same between vista and 7, so you dont need 7 specific drivers. as far as i know, only video and networking have been updated, so only they would need '7 specific' drivers

remember that 7 comes with a lot of drivers built in, so there is no need to offer downloads if the OS already has the latest.

17. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    You see what i have a problem with here....
    I can't figure this one out it's right when i boot to vista...I hope it's just a software glitch, but that's how AOD reads it to

18. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    sorry i have no idea what you're talking about.

i cant see anything wrong with that screenshot - am i looking at something in CPU-Z or your desktop?

if its CPU-Z, just upload that... not the whole screenshot and tell me what i'm looking for.

19. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    my HT LINK is at 1600 with a multi of 8, it's set in the bios at 1800, where it's supposed to be...Yet if i go into AOD and slide over the multi to 9 instant crash...But if i boot via the esata to vista it's 1800 like it's supposed to be

20. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    sure its not CnQ, or some power saving technique lowering it at idle?

21. filip007

filip007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maybe i will install on family pc it uses XP but gaming is very solid with some ABIT board, e6300 clock to 3GHz and funny thing is every game runs just fine with X1950XT i just try it The Darkest Days runs fine...i use retired drivers.

Looks like ATi is holding back drivers on new stuff that you can buy faster sort of...

22. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    That's disabled, I'm gonna check over the bios to see what i'm missing here this is odd
    FIXED** reflashed bios
    I had to SET to optimized defaults in the bios, reboot, set the NB to 1800, reboot, set the HT link to 1.8ghz,reboot,set bios for RAID,reboot,set mem to 1066,reboot,disable C2Q setup boot priority and others...,reboot and voila, Thanks Biostar for that advice, "it was so easy to do" and annoying! W7 seems so stable now WOW odd how it didn't do that with Vista tho
    EDIT2 Mozila needs to do something with this Firefox3.7, it sure does crash a lot (like just now) but it recovers with the "Now that's embarrassing" error message, (and again) it'll go great for hours and then keep crashing then good and crash (again) But it always recovers

Yeah I know...I have been reporting it to Mozila, quite regularly to, I'd say about 45 times a day.LOL

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  23. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    To be honest, i'm truly loving windows 7 so far, everything about it is nice and pleasent, especially the themes that came with it that change walpaper automically. My new g71 asus is loving win7 as well, creams through games and just looks good on the notebook. Seems more intuitive as well imho, vista seamed to require a lot of work to us it effectively. something i don't find myself doing in windows 7.

24. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    so wat alternative os would you recomend? coz out of the ones i no of id say the windows brand is the best for gaming. Plus 7 made my rig run the fastest it ever has with anyother os, including xp and vista

25. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    we need a new poll - or at least "already running it legit!"