1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What are your plans for Windows 7 ?

Discussion in 'TPU Frontpage Polls' started by W1zzard, Jul 15, 2009.

?

What are your plans for Windows 7 ?

Poll closed Oct 23, 2009.
  1. I'll take a look soon and then decide if it's right for me

1,555 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. I'm happy with XP

2,671 vote(s)
    18.1%
  3. I'm happy with Vista

1,376 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. Can't wait to switch (I have tried the RC)

5,683 vote(s)
    38.5%
  5. Can't wait to switch (I haven't tried any beta yet)

1,180 vote(s)
    8.0%
  6. I'll wait till it's more mature (Service Pack 1)

1,244 vote(s)
    8.4%
  7. No thanks. Too expensive, not much new

1,048 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've used it since the first Beta through the current RC and I'm not terribly impressed. It's has some nice things (Aero Peek, less services @ startup), but it also has some annoyances (admin privileges changed for the worse, UAC hasn't improved much at all really), and other than that it's still just Windows (plays my games, still fragments and does things irrationally sometimes). I'm sure I'll get it eventually, but I'm in no hurry.

The best part about 7 is that they've let us all have it for free for about a year or so. That's a win.
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the two main advantages with 7 for me:

1. DX10 GUI. No video/system ram wasted with me leaving 50 odd windows open, and a zillion firefox windows/tabs.

2. Network doesnt slow down when audio playing.

Things worse:

1. My network upload speed is reported wrong. its doubled. I can upload from this machine to vista or 7 machines, and i get upto 99% network card usage - 125MB/s. Thing is, the programs themselves, and the other machines receiving the files - all claim exactly 50% of what this system is saying its uploading.
    Anyone else with this issue?
  3. Meecrob New Member

Thanks Received:
    wana screenshot?

works in both d3d and overlay modes here.
  4. Meecrob New Member

Thanks Received:
    slowdowns? I havent seen any slowdowns with tons of windows and tabs open, I have 28 tabs open in opera now, as well as 11 explorer windows and my systems just as fast as with them closed..........

and I havent seen my network get slower when playing audio files, then again i dont u se WMP or mp3/wma files do that could have something to do with it, or the fact im on 2008.
  5. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    what formats ur aduio files in then? there the standard other then wav
  6. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    nah, i'll beleive your testing. Nvidia must have fixed their problems with a driver update. ATI still havent.
  7. Meecrob New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ogg Vorbis

Flac

Musepack

all are superior to mp3 and wma and even AAC, also all are FOSS

this means that they are all under constant development and thus are constantly being improved.

Alot of pmp's(what you probably call and mp3 player or ipod) now support flac and ogg, musepack supports still pretty rare, but those players that support it tend to have better batt life when running .mpc files vs any other format.

I use vorbis for my portible audio(sansa fuze and samsung yp-u3) as well as my audio books due to the quility per bitrate/size, AAC is the only thing close in the bitrate/filesize catagory and its SLOW to encode, as well as not having quite the same quility level that the current aoTuV5.7 vorbis encoder has.

for more information about audio codecs check out http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?act=idx the best place on the net to find info about audio codecs :)
  8. Meecrob New Member

Thanks Received:
    ATI are kinda behind on the whole stream/gpgpu front, its why I am looking at the gtx260 over the 4870, close price, but the 260-216 will give me cuda support for apps like badaboom, super loliscope and...well heres a link http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=719

also mediacoder has cuda encode support and is working on their own totaly custom decoder/encoder setup that will hopefully when done do 90-99% of the work on the gpu, including filtering and resizing.

ATI is still not allowing any direct hardware access and the perf in stream test apps isnt that impressive, makes me wonder how they are gonna do with OpenCL support if OpenCL will be a software layer over Stream that itself is a software layer over the gpu....bah!!!!

like trying to choose between a giant douche and a turd sandwich.
  9. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I already have that Windows 7 on pre-order so I will be ready by then! XP will be on my old computers with anything less than a dual core. 7 will be on everything else. Beta was good, RC was good, everything I was impressed with, but we will see in the long run.
  10. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    7 has no performance issues on single cores. remember that its designed to work on intel atom - as long as it has adequate ram, 7 is good to go.
  11. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    my plans are to pray to the dark gods that someone can make a x64 os that actually works with hardware. With the current RC my NIC dont work right and the x-fi crackles like its a soundblaster 16 on 32 bit theirs 0 issues cept for 1gb of ram going to waste
  12. swaaye

Thanks Received:
    7 is basically Vista with a tweaked UI (better in some ways) and some more speed in a few ways. It's not that much different than Vista, IMO.

It's definitely not really amazing shocking revolutionary new thing to have but it doesn't make life harder compared to XP unless your computer isn't at least somewhat recent.

I'm still not seeing the reason to develop fanboyism for 7/Vista or for most people to move from XP to Vista/7. Forced obsolescence is about the best "reason" unfortunately. There should be a poll option for "ambivalent".
  13. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Windows 7 is a much more enjoyable, trouble free experience for a lot of users out there. Regardless if one thinks it's a Vista upgrade or not a user's experience can (in most case) triumph redundancies. For example:
    Thread(s) that discuss experiences, tips and offer help for those who are thinking about transitioning to Win7.

The ability to try it before you buy it. This is one the best features of Win7 to date.

Compability with motherboards that don't require a user to figure out how to install chipset drivers either before or immediately after Win7 install.

GUI is intuitive and easily allows you to navigate to where you want to go.

Smaller resource footprint.

Current game and application compatibility (for the most part).

The inclusion of DX11. And, the game(s) that will be released for it in the near future.

The release of DX11 video cards.

Although Win7 is not perfect there are still many other reasons not mentioned. These are but a few reasons why Win7 has generated synergy in so many users. In either case home users (for the most part) are very happy with Win7 so far and I can only see that increasing as the final retail variants are released to the public.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  14. swaaye

Thanks Received:
    It's Vista Second Edition and shares so much architecture with Vista that it gets to enjoy the Vista hardware & software developments from the past 2.5 years. Of course it will work better than Vista seemed to for most people. Vista had serious growing pains thanks to under-the-hood changes and bugs, serious driver problems, and cheap-ass vendors releasing Vista-preinstalled PCs with 1GB of RAM. 7 is a fixer upper with tweaks and a lick of fresh paint. Dual cores are prevalent and RAM is ultra cheap.

It is smart because it reduces the risk that people feel with the big price to pay for 7. However, most people will be getting 7 with a new machine, not buying it outright.

I'm not convinced that it causes people to "need" 7 like an addiction though. :)

This has been the case with every MS OS since Windows 95. It is an advantage that generally vanishes as soon as new hardware arrives, unless the vendors care about putting drivers up on MS Update.

Very subjective. One major oopsie on their part that I've found is dropping the ability to easily sort while in thumbnail view. Vista did it amazingly better than 7 & XP by keeping the sort column while in thumbnail view.

And honestly I'm still not really blown away by the new taskbar. It's ok but nothing mind-blowing IMO.....

I'd have to see some numbers to believe this. The ISOs are smaller but I don't know about the functioning OS. It doesn't feel much different than Vista to me (and I don't mean to say that this is bad.) 7 does install fast though, especially on fast hardware (definitely faster than Vista).

Vista is just as good/bad IMO. XP is the best choice if compatibility is your #1 concern.

XP Mode is nothing special or new, either, if you were referring to that. MS Virtual PC has been free for about 5 years and runs even on XP. Virtual PC is even better because you can run any OS you want.

DX10 came out in 2007. We are still in a DX9 world and games are based on the console hardware more than ever. I don't see DX11 becoming important for a long, long time. We aren't going to see the dawn of a new era in graphics complexity until new consoles launch methinks.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  15. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    Not everyone will share that opinion. As I mentioned earlier, good experience triumphs redundancy. And for the most part that comes off as "sour grapes" to me.

Actually MS did take in a lot of feed back which does play a part in why people like Win7. So there are other factors involved.

I cannot agree here. I did experience problems with Win2k and XP if I didn't update the chipset drivers.

The whole premise behind the new OS is to make it more intuitive. However, as mentioned later in my post win7 wasn't perfect. No reason why you are implying differently.

Now this is subjective ;). A new OS doesn't have to necessarily "blow your mind". But if it offers the experience one expects along with features they can benefit from there is no reason to think otherwise.

This thread isn't designed to prove anything to you (in particular). Many have said this for a while now and it's common knowledge. How Vista feels to you is again subjective.

This really isn't a thread about Vista and "what could have been". This is about Win7 which is now the next OS to be released in few weeks. People already know if they will upgrade or not. And, the reasons behind why will vary. However, what I posted was in regards to game/program compatibility. Something gamers/users would be concerned about if they considered using the OS.

DX10 in and of itself was a flop; the use of DX9 in console games is only part of the story. However, if more developers cater to and use DX11 it should do better then DX10. Lets not forget that DX11 was never hyped about better IQ. :p
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  16. Meecrob New Member

Thanks Received:
    Mussles
    http://shark007.net download the win7 codec pack and go into its config app, you can choose coreavc via that and it will work with all 32bit players, BUT theres a warning, if you have thumbs enabled you need to use ffdshow and go into each folder you have videos in first THEN switch to coreavc.

coreavc and win7+thumbs=crash :(
    info here
    http://forum.corecodec.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1126&start=25

Shark007 is also adding coreavc option to the VCP to make it easier on everybody(specly noobies) :D
  17. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    You had me all the way to the end...DX10 a flop....? Really?....Go play Call of Duty 4 "Modern Warfare" with DX9 and DX10 In the beginning on the helicopter ride to the cargo ship watch the "cigarette light" and the "shadows" now go play any modern game and watch DX10 rock's it didn't flop it just went unnoticed
  18. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    jmcslob, COD4 is DX9 only :p
  19. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    yeah CoD4 and CoD WaW do not use DX10, lol.

unless your point was something else, and you failed to get it across?
  20. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    using legit coreAVC, i get no crashes here. That problem likely exists only with the shark package - which is why i dont use it, or reccomend it.

Sure he's making a good codec pack, but it aint anywhere near done yet.
  21. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Pretty much any developer will tell you DX10 is a flop. As a gamer I feel DX10 was a flop. Yup, my mind's made up! DX10 is a flop.
  22. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    DX10 was primarily a flop b/c Vista was a flop. Developers had little incentive to produce Dx10 games when everybody and their mother was saying OMG Vista gets like 3 fps less than XP fails don't buy it.....or at least I think that's what they said.

DX11 should catch on better as W7 is shaping up to be much more successful. I still wouldn't expect many games on the outset, it'll probably take a good 3+ years for enough of the industry to move over to 7 to make it worthwhile for developers.
  23. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    the main reason DX11 wont flop, is that DX10 cards can run it (just like DX8.1 cards could run most DX9 games for a long time)

That means that over half existing users out there RIGHT NOW can run it, once they get an OS with it (either win 7, or vista with the update to include DX11) - developers will code properly for a 50% user base, not a 10% (even my onboard video on my media PC is DX10.1)
  24. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    why isnt there a "Linux is free and more stable" option? :laugh:
  25. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    really? huh it's still looks better on my dx10 cards than it does on dx9 cards but i guess that's simply cause my dx10 cards are like 3x the card lol