1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by Dos101, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:

I don't know tbh. On my W8.1 Laptop its name changed to OneDrive everywhere (apps, group policy, registry ...). Which version do you use?
    You can try Microsoft OneDrive 17.0.4029.0217 it's the latest

2. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    It changed on my W8.1 PC as well. I don't know which version my W7 and server use, but since it's been around since those days it will get upgraded at patch time. It's nice that W8 devices have all updated very quickly after that court decision!

Thanks for the updated link, btw! I'll see this weekend if it will install on the older devices.

3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    it was just renamed in the last week or so, MS got sued about skydrive... so now its onedrive.

oh win 8.1 is my primary OS now, with start8 i never see or use metro and its a nice OS. still prefer the windows 7 color theme tho.

4. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    Glad to see you like it Mussels! Start8 is great, all the improvements of Win8, but you feel like you are on 7! You might want to consider ModernMix with it as well. In case you do want to use any apps, it gives you total control of apps, including even being able to launch them in small(er-ish) windows on your desktop. And, Start8 allows you to put those few apps you do want to use in your traditional start menu!

5. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    oh god yes i need that, frakking hate how i cant quit metro apps and they just hide behind that stupid 'charm'

6. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    I'm aware of that. Just haven't noticed when that happened lol

BTW another screenshot leak. Now they say there's W8.1 update 1 Bing Edition. W8.1 with bing hmmm it's not surprising.

[​IMG]

7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    oh feck that, i dont want bing anywhere on here. i'm faithful to mah googlies.

8. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Found some commands for cmd:

slmgr.vbs /ipk ххххх-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx (where xs is your license key) - this command changes key. It can be useful if you installed windows 8.1 with installation key but need to activate it with your valid windows 8 key

slmgr.vbs /ato - activates windows

slmgr.vbs /dlv - shows activation status

9. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i'm having BSOD's in sleep mode in windows 8 - seems tied in with sleep mode and a media player (MPC-HC or youtube) left on screen.

i'm thinking its catalyst 14.1 related, anyone else had similar?

10. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    So oddly enough mine still says Skydrive. Also I don't have the option you describe. Wonder if they changed the policies with the name change.

[​IMG]

11. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    I see. Here's my screenshot

[​IMG]

12. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Anyone knows where the 8.1 upgrade from the windows store is downloaded? It's a 3.6GB download and I think I'd better back it up

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    Can't help you with that, but using the instruction here you can download the iso.

TRWOV says thanks.
  14. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    highly recommend the ISO method :)

15. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Why even bother? There'll be 8.1 update 1 iso soon.

16. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    At the end I got the 8.1 ISO as described above and made a clean install with it:

Used the appropriate VLK installation key (keys are listed at technet: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj612867.aspx ) since the 8.1 setup wouldn't take my W8 key

Install 8.1, open regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/

MediabootInstall = 0
    RetailInstall = 0

Open CMD as administrator
    slmgr /ipk your-Win8-key-with-hypens
    slmgr /rearm

restart and activate.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    rtwjunkie says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    Alternatively, if you happen to be reinstalling, you can go straight through from W8 install to all updates, and then 8.1 from windows store. It's a smaller group this applies to, but I did it and it was absolutely painless this way.

18. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    This procedure is utterly useless and unnecessary. However, it's being reposted over and over and over again.

a) everyone who has internet access while installing W8.1 (especially laptop users with enabled wifi) can enter their W8 key and it'll be accepted with no problems.

or

b) those who are in other category (desktop users etc. or simply offline) can just drop an ei.cfg in the sources folder of w8.1 installation media.

Contents of ei.cfg for w8.1 pro edition are following:

By doing this windows 8.1 won't even ask to enter a key during installation. Valid key can be entered during 30 days. Just like in Windows 7.

And if you omit EditionID from ei.cfg, you will get an option to select edition that you would like (Professional or Core).
    No vlk key, no registry mumbo jumbo, no messing with cmd, no rearm, no restart are required.

http://www.jmedved.com/2013/09/installing-windows-8-1-or-8-without-a-product-key/
    http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-tip-download-windows-81-iso-windows-8-product-key
    http://skesov.ru/kak-izmenit-obraz-...zaprashivalsya-litsenzionyiy-klyuch-sistemyi/

Edit: It's well documented and known since windows 7 yet everybody ignores it. Whatevs ...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    FX-GMC says thanks.
  19. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    makin mahself a new SARDU USB bootable drive with XP SP3 (corporate, preinstalled key) windows 7 'all editions' (32 and 64) and windows 8.1 x64 'all editions' with drones above tweak to not need a key straight away.

and then i will upgrade my laptop to windows 8.1 for no real reason... it just needed a format.

20. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Not to contradict you but I had my PC with the network cable connected and it didn't take my W8 key. I didn't need to install drivers for the NIC so it should have detected my network. So the W8 key might not work in every case, I did what worked for me.

About the second method (editing the ei.cfg), not everyone has the right tools for ISO editing plus it takes more time to setup. If you're going to do it over an over constantly I'd surely do it but for a one time thing it just isn't worth for me.

I've used the automatic ei.cfg remover to make a universal W7 disc from the DR ISOs but that is a one click setup.

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    This makes sense to me as well. I couldn't download the Win8.1 ISO with my Win8 key. I had to use the trick from the link I posted earlier.

22. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    I believe that, it might fail in some cases I just speak from my own experience. I installed it on different machines and it always worked when it detected network. Always. And I swear I never edited registry, not even once.

As for iso editing ... those who install from usb don't need to worry about it, they just add a file. (I always install from usb stick).

23. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 SR2 Update 1 (aka Spring update) leaked. It can be obtained through some fancy registry hack
    That will update your Win 8.1 to version 6.3.9600.17031.

Personally I'll wait for April, "official" release :)

TRWOV and FX-GMC say thanks.
  24. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Just been reading up on this, the registry method has been blocked, but if anyone wants to try it, i have a link for the 6 updates that make up update 1.

25. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    What 6 updates? It's only 4