1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Discussion.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Ravenas, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Wow Microsoft has totally missed the ship with Windows 8...

It is so incrediably hard to use. Even if you were to get used to the hotkeys, it takes eternity to find anything...

Lot's of other horrids... The app system is totally stupid.

I hate it. The reviews were right.

:banghead:

I could go on and on... Just don't install it.

Whoever dreamed up this piece of work should be fired.
    baggpipes says thanks.
  2. baggpipes

baggpipes New Member

Thanks Received:
    Agreed they finally got the user to use that windows key tho....
    Tsiap says thanks.
  3. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Yeah windows 8 will be great for 13 or 14 year old girls or real busy bodies with their smart phones.

(The next sentence is what will happen in stores selling Win 8 across the world... "Like look how pretty it is" as she curls and twists her hair. "Isn't it Buffy???" "Like For sure Brittney...It will match my purse")

While people who actually use computers will finally start the Great Google and LinX migration of 2012. Or stay with Windows 7.

Things that suck about Win 8....
    All the Hot Keys
    Can't turn off Metro GUI
    Closing Apps and Programs with Task manager mainly
    App System
    Advertising invading your personal Space
    The down tuning of Windows Media player
    The endless maze you have to go through to get to anything useful
    Start menu on the desktop is useless now
    Desktop is basically useless now
    Metro GUI only useful on a smart phone or touch screen
    The whole Operating system looks like a Jitter Bug Phone for old people.

Let's face it the list goes on.....

Good things......(Maybe?)
    DX11.1
    Like Baggpipes said "they finally got the user to use that windows key"
    Like it's really pretty
    At least it's not Vista..... (Wait I think I would rather have Vista again)
    Nick89 and Tsiap say thanks.
  4. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    What are you talking about? I already use it all the time. It does more than just open the start menu, ya know.
    hellrazor says thanks.
  5. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    Metro Killed the Windows PC
  6. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Its not even that bad. I thought it was shit after 5 minutes but its way better then I thought after a few days of use.
  7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    why am i doomed to hear these same arguments EVERY TIME A NEW OS IS RELEASED?
  8. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Because otherwise people will complain that the new OS didn't change enough from the previous version and it's not worth upgrading because it's almost exactly the same?

Oh, and btw, I'm pretty sure I don't remember there being a lot of hate on Windows 7 when it was released.
    _JP_, H82LUZ73, iKhan and 2 others say thanks.
  9. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Doubtful. Most are migrating to Apple. I think Mac is this best operating system, however, it doesn't allow me to buy and install my own hardware as I please. We are the 1%, the 99% will be going to Apple as Microsoft continues to loose touch consumers.

Vista was a good OS imo.
  10. IINexusII

IINexusII

Thanks Received:
    There was abit, but nowhere near as much as Vista, even though vista was amazing...

Windows 8 does feel like it takes too many steps to achieve simple tasks, like shutting down the pc. Its still a good OS though and just takes some time to learn. After that and once some metro apps start flooding in then it will be great :)
  11. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    I still need to try it out.

edit: Does it have any issues inside a VM?
  12. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Lol Vista was "amazing" and Windows 8 will be "Great"... Lol :roll:
  13. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    What drugs are you on if you think OSx is the best operating system and Vista was a good OS. :wtf:
    keakar and Tsiap say thanks.
  14. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    no at work theres virtual machines that run windows 8 and everything.
    theJesus says thanks.
  15. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Vista is generally the same as Windows 7 with the exception of being extremely bloated at launch. OSx is an extremely accessible OS that any user can pick up. The same can not be said for Windows 8.
  16. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    no based on my expereince OSx and Windows 8 are just as confusing.
  17. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    See I agree with this statement to a point..... but this honestly is the first time I have ever bashed a Windows OS. It is also the first time I have seen many others bash a Windows OS this badly too. Even Windows Vista wasn't this badly bashed,
    I also think though......that you got to weed out the educated arguments and the not educated arguments. If someone can't specifically say what sucks about the OS.... those are uneducated arguments.
    The people who actually can list things they don't like....those are the ones you should give your argument too. At least they can defend their points.

These are all really great points.... I listed Google and LinX more as a first come to mind scenario.... Apple is in reality what people will be transferring too. Microsoft is for sure loosing touch with their customers.
    The only argument I have to your point.... Is I believe Power users is a bigger percentage of the users then what you listed. Enthusiasts are about only 1% Power users are closer to 20% of the market (Especially with todays kids now getting older) But either way they will also be turned off by Win 8 IMO.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  18. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    You guys do realize that your are not being forced to use Windows 8 right?
    theJesus says thanks.
  19. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Technically speaking, Apple is already the world's #1 OS. Apple is systematically merging iOS and OS in to one operating system. Windows 8 is the same attempt at this, but in my opinion, and awful failure. As Microsoft inches closer and closer to releasing it's own tablet and continues to push its phone the OS and the mobile OS are becoming one in the same, same is true with Apple as I said previously. However, Apple is doing quite well with this.

Microsoft has already failed once at this merging of products, for example they just recently discontinued the Zune...

In my opinion, Windows 8 will unfortuneatly also be another failure for MS.
  20. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    windows 8 metro is just more dumbing down crap. seriously.... it does look like something made for the jitterbug crowd.

also microsoft wants to "be cool again".....
  21. NC37

NC37

Thanks Received:
    I go against the current. Went from Mac to Windows.

Yeah I liked Vista a lot. I was forced to switch to 7 with my new build tho. I can see the argument against Vista now.

OSX...it was nice and revolutionary a decade ago. But it's initial versions were rough. Apple held the OS back a lot. OS9 was a lot more open in terms of drivers for devices/etc. OSX Apple really clamped down. Everything has to go through them. It has been held up in the name of compatibility.

I honestly wouldn't mind using it again. I still use 10.4.11 on a laptop. But the ability to use the hardware you want is more attractive to me now than it was when I was a Mac nut. Much cheaper to maintain, specially with Apple discontinuing hardware and blocking upgrades every few years. The crappy Intel graphics Macs I can understand but they've blocked even some of the towers with decent discrete. Apple wants you to buy a new Mac. They don't want you to keep them forever anymore. That attitude helped put me off a lot to investing anymore into Macs over my PC.

Really I'd like to see OS9 brought back with modern enhancements. Nice and simple OS. Not the bloated monstrosity that OSX has been. Open the OS up more and get some real performance improvements implemented. The heck with compatibility!

From all I'm hearing about Win 8, I don't think I want to touch it. Metro just sounds like a nightmare.
  22. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Sure there was hate for Win7, it just came from people like me that complained that the new OS didn't change enough from the previous version and it's not worth upgrading because it's almost exactly the same.:roll:
    theJesus says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Because people finally warmed up to Vista. XD

You just wait, Windows 8 will be all the rage when Windows 9 comes out. :roll:
    D007 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Watch the same shit is going to happen. People are going to bitch and complain about windows 8 and then within 6 months. love it.
  25. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Oh I am aware.....As of right now..... But your statement is not necessarily true either. MS is as close to a monopoly as you can get. If you want to continue using programs (Most of which are only compatible for MS windows) you are forced to deal with it.
    The government did not do a good enough job splitting it up awhile back. This situation is slowly getting better....But it is still not satisfactory for most people.

Examples:
    Move to apple you can't upgrade Hardware
    Move to LinX Half of your shit works (Most games won't)
    Move to Chrome (It's getting there and one day I think Google Chrome "Or variant" will be MS's biggest competitor but they are still very young in this market)

If you want to be a gamer/ Benchmarking enthusiast Windows right now is your only main option. Or even if you are a power user MS windows is you only real option.

But if you are a teen girl or want easy usability or if you want to code everything yourself or some buisness.....then sure..... there are several other options out there.
    MT Alex says thanks.