1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Discussion.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Ravenas, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Has anyone managed to turn off Secure Boot on a running Windows 8 installation WITHOUT actually having to reinstall the entire OS?

I'd love to make a dual-boot machine here, but since 8 was preinstalled on my gf's lappy, Secure Boot is enabled by default. Disabling it in UEFI menu causes Windows to fail startup (No OS found it says).

I'd hate to have to disable it, setup Win 8 clean, then set up the dual bootage.

2. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    Hi all, I wanted to ask something and I don't think a new thread is required. So, Windows 8 comes with Microsoft Framework 4.0 installed, which is great. I have none of the previous version installed on. But I downloaded nVidia Inspector program, because I really like it. When I start the "install" it says it requires Framework 3.5 (service pack 1). I am wondering is it worth it for one app to install this>? Is it going to mess up the rest of the PC? Do I need both versions of MS Framework? (I saw some complaints about Intel HD Graphics drivers giving glitches without the 3.5 Framework). What do you think?

3. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Windows 8 comes with .net framework 4.5 turned on by default and .net framework 3.5.1 turned off.

To turn on 3.5.1 see this post.

Many programs require .net framework 3.5.1 and no it won't mess up your system.

4. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    Thanks a lot. I kinda quoted the version by heart :D. I already downloaded from MS the full offline installer- 231mb, but hey that's cool too with the DVD. It will take more time to find it in the pile though than just DL :D

5. KapiteinKoek007

Thanks Received:
    ahhh windows 8 i simply don't have any words for it. because the lvl of fucking up is so high with win 8, i don't even know where to start. how can microsoft go from win7 one of the most perfect os performance/eyecandy wise. to this utter garbage. im sorry for the ones who worked theire ass of writing thousands of programming lines, just for this... wow