1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows "Mojave" Experiment Video

Discussion in 'General Software' started by kyle2020, Aug 18, 2008.

1. kyle2020 Guest

Can anyone remember the scandal over Microsoft asking people to test a new Windows OS that was basically a re-skinned version of vista?

Heres the video: http://www.mojaveexperiment.com/

2. blueskynis

blueskynis New Member

Thanks Received:
    If they took Mojave home for a two or three week of beta test, things would be different.

From Ubuntu forums:

3. kyle2020 Guest

fair point made though, still, i think its a bloody interesting way of proving a point ;)

4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the point of the experiment was simply to prove that people are biased against vista - yet those same people cant even RECOGNISE it!

5. kyle2020 Guest

exactly - many people who absolutely slated vista last year had never even used it and expressed their dislike against it based on rumours and false pretensions! Sure, the driver issue was enough to scare us all off, however 99% of those have been sorted, so no one can moan anymore.

6. snuif09

snuif09 New Member

Thanks Received:
    owned. vista isnt that bad i like it and it works great, its that people try to run it on there windows 95 pc ofcourse they think its slow(duhh)

7. rflair New Member

Thanks Received:
    Opps

8. rflair New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually the only thing that quote from the Ubuntu forums proves is that the guy is an ass who hates MS for no other reason then being a Linux zealot.

9. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I love it when customers come into our shop and talk about wanting to get xp on their brand new desktop or laptop. After telling them they'll have to pay 200-300 dollars for a Windows retail copy and then 60 bucks to install it for them they quickly change their mind. Also it is amazing how many Vista owners have no idea SP1 is out. I tell a customer this and they think it just came out a week or two ago.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    *waits for vista haters*

Unless you use a downloaded copy of vista (from tpb) Vista is incredibly stable and is free of virus'. Also when people argue that vista is bloated etc, this is pretty much the evolution of software as all programs get bigger since they add more features, If it doesn't fit on your HDD buy a 500gb for £40 problem solved.

11. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    I think it was more to with ppl assuming that it was crap based on its what it was like at its debut wich ill admit was bad but with windows update and SP1 is now a really good reliable os.

12. xfire

xfire New Member

Thanks Received:
    You need to watch your language.
    Your so called linux zealot is most probably a person who had been using windows for a greater time in his life and then shifted to windows.
    Can you point out what is it that is wrong in the quote?
    Have you seen the videos on the website?
    One of them says that Vista is much faster than Xp. Can you honestly tell me than on a same machine Vista is much faster than Xp on the same machine?
    Tell me what Os would you prefer for a download machine
    A very resource hungry Os which puts a lot of load on your system or a light weight system capable of running on System's which are very old?

13. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    Get a new machine :D just kidding.

14. kyle2020 Guest

joking aside, thats the point - lots who complained vista was slow and rubbish where running it on machines built for XP - see the problem? ;)

15. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't think vista is rubbish, but it doesnt suit my needs, and thus I do not use it.

16. B1gg3stN00b

B1gg3stN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    What's with the sudden worry about language on these forums?

They're just words!

TBH for a download machine I use Vista, I'd rather use it because of it's various overbearing security programs which make it near impossible for anything to work it's way in (using Vista since it came out, I've had no problems at all, never gotten a virus, spyware, or adware, the complete opposite of my usage with bare XP).

Vista's new features can easily be disabled, and over time I've really gained a taste for Superfetch (the main cause of most of the memory used being used). I've got my copy on running barely on 600mb RAM and to be honest I love the performance and appearance.

Also, they tested it on an HP DV2000 with 2gb RAM, which is NOT a supercomputer by any means, it's a standard model new laptop. Nothing fancy.
    http://arajani.blogspot.com/2006/07/hp-dv2000t-notebook-review.html

17. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:

Yes I prefer Vista and a computer that can handle the 'OS which puts a lot of load on your system'. While your at it why dont you boycott every car that came out after 1991 because Honda CRX HF got 51 Mpg and gas mileage has only gone down since then. This is getting so old. Vista is now acceptable. Deal with it.

18. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    Whats everyone's fetish with low memory usage :confused: Its not like you lose many fps when your playing games if any tbh. Also I'd rather the 4gb I paid for was put to good use, for instance I turned on file indexing for everyfile on my storage HDD so I can find them instantly and atm listning to music, IM and powering tech up ;) It's using 2gb of ram which instantly goes to a game if it needs it since vista is intelligent in that respect.

19. Scrizz

Scrizz

Thanks Received:
    Vista is not a bad OS.
    I like it better than XP.

20. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    Same here, I have 1.5Tb though so 42% for my (6gb) of ram is used to index, run utorrent, , use DreamScene, listen to music and browse the internet, and run 10 widgets and lastly Avast. I never run out of ram. Ever, Unless I create a memory hole in Photoshop which happens quite often with ridiculous sized images (Dont even say it. It happened in XP to, and a hell of a lot more as I did not always have enough memory and Xp did not like pulling from the harddrive.).

21. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Lol boated is gone on about so much ya can use vlite so its no big deal personally myself i keep the sidebar and everything else and it still runs good with 2 gig.

22. kyle2020 Guest

I purchased 4GB and vista x64 purely because i want to get the most out of my system. The extra 2GB has cut down loading times and made games run a bit smoother anyway, plus its nice to know you can multi task without fear of lock-ups.

23. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just use vanilla Vista with all the windows updates cause I don't like messing with that stuff(cause I'm lazy) and I'm more than happy with Vista. Its alot faster than XP that's for sure :D

24. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    I have 4Gb of RAM, I'm sat here with superfethc running, Opera, IE, Windows Live Messenger and Mail. As well as a video conversion software running at full tilt and I'm using 48% of my physical memory.

What is the f***ing point of buying 8Gb of RAM and then complaining about an OS that uses 1Gb of it? Recently I've had a look into the "belly of the beast" as it were, with a forum of idiots still running P3 systems complaining that a BROWSER game was too high-detail and that they shouldn't have to upgrade to play it, and that the only OS worth using is linux because it doesn't tax their system.

Technology has moves on so quickly that there will always be people who get "left behind" but that happens no matter what it is, new cars, houses absolutely everything. There will always be people running "last decades" stuff. It's a fact of life, I just wish they'd shut up to be honest.

25. kyle2020 Guest

sat watching a film with CSS minimized and internet explorer up, 35% ram usage.