Thursday, October 14th 2010

XFX Radeon HD 6870 Smiles for the Camera

XFX is ready with the first AIB-branded Radeon HD 6000 series graphics card to be caught on camera. Its Radeon HD 6870 graphics card bears a racy-looking AMD reference-design blower-type cooling solution, with its own company sticker. The company has opted for the AMD-branded Radeon logo. It draws power from two 6-pin power connectors, has no backplate on the PCB's reverse side, and sports a custom-design rear-panel on which the XFX logo is etched on the exhaust. Display connectors include two DVI, an HDMI, and two mini-DisplayPort. Radeon HD 6870 is intended to be a successor to the Radeon HD 5700 series, a performance segment product targeting a price sweet-spot. Radeon HD 5800 series successors are Radeon HD 6900 series.

Source: Hardware.info, Sweclockers
Add your own comment

89 Comments on XFX Radeon HD 6870 Smiles for the Camera

#1
SNICK


XFX RADON HD 6870 FRONT SHOT:D
Posted on Reply
#2
Wile E
Power User
Dammit, I hate that they put display conenctors across 2 slots. I only want them on the first slot, so I can go single with a FC block.
Posted on Reply
#3
Lionheart
Super XP said:
What do you mean no backplate? Also what's with the avatar :D NICE :)
It draws power from two 6-pin power connectors, has no backplate on the PCB's reverse side,
Says there's no backplate which I prefer to have one, hides all the circuitry & makes it look neater:toast: and thanx, I like the avatar too, its HOT;)
Posted on Reply
#4
Tatty_One
Senior Moderator
You all appear to be grown ups having this conversation/debate, therefore can I ask that you act like grown ups and refrain from the childish personal attacks and just stick to your facts/experiences...... thank you!
Posted on Reply
#5
random
looks hot! times like these I'm glad to be working, picking up 2 for some e-peen e-rection :rockout:
Posted on Reply
#6
wahdangun
Wile E said:
Dammit, I hate that they put display conenctors across 2 slots. I only want them on the first slot, so I can go single with a FC block.
thats why we need to move to DP asap, because right now DVI is too big for today multi monitor configuration
Posted on Reply
#7
TheMailMan78
Big Member
Tatty_One said:
You all appear to be grown ups having this conversation/debate, therefore can I ask that you act like grown ups and refrain from the childish personal attacks and just stick to your facts/experiences...... thank you!
Says the man with a monkey reading a magazine in his avatar.
Posted on Reply
#8
inferKNOX
I don't understand what the talk of DP being "half ready" is about really. DP is like HDMI at the moment, but got the potential to go further due to it being free (more desirable) and having higher bandwidth (more future-proof). The only "half ready" thing out there is the market, as it's an emerging standard and not widely available.
The multi-monitor issues are just that, Eyefinity issues; not DP issues. There was an article talking about how the software team over at ATi didn't know about Eyefinity until the last moment and so they had to scramble together drivers quickly, that's why it's buggy, not because of the DP.

EDIT: the potential that DP as a standard has, and has already brought in v1.2 is far more exciting than HDMI IMHO and I hope it replaces HDMI, the quicker the better, because I've found working with HDMI to bring about sub-par performance, although admittedly, I have very limited experience dealing with it.
Posted on Reply
#9
cadaveca
My name is Dave
Yeah, Apple has been using DP since 2008. I've been using it for ages with my macpro on my audio rig. Not a single problem.


I really wish I could put one of my 5870's in my mac...I wonder if the 6870 will be the first card to work on both?

As to DP and eyefinity, we are a year later, so they have had a year to work on drivers...or right...Eyefinity is HARDWARE-BASED, not software, so drivers have little effect.

Anyway, it's been a year, and I still have issues. I have issues when using DP alone, nevermind using multiple monitors...anyway, I think it's ME relating my problems, and what I think causes them, that has some people thinking that way. Nobody else, really, besides me, is tlaking about eyefinity as a problem. Mind you, I'm one of few people acutally using Eyefinity, so that's not surprising.


Crap. and I played BC2 with Reayth last night...forgot to ask what card he's got...
Posted on Reply
#10
inferKNOX
cadaveca said:
Yeah, Apple has been using DP since 2008. I've been using it for ages with my macpro on my audio rig. Not a single problem.


I really wish I could put one of my 5870's in my mac...I wonder if the 6870 will be the first card to work on both?

As to DP and eyefinity, we are a year later, so they have had a year to work on drivers...or right...Eyefinity is HARDWARE-BASED, not software, so drivers have little effect.

Anyway, it's been a year, and I still have issues. I have issues when using DP alone, nevermind using multiple monitors...anyway, I think it's ME relating my problems, and what I think causes them, that has some people thinking that way. Nobody else, really, besides me, is tlaking about eyefinity as a problem. Mind you, I'm one of few people acutally using Eyefinity, so that's not surprising.


Crap. and I played BC2 with Reayth last night...forgot to ask what card he's got...
A surprising statement from you since it was you that provided the link to the article:
It's the software that ultimately made Eyefinity
Source: Preventing Espionage at AMD: How The Eyefinity Project Came to Be
Posted on Reply
#11
cadaveca
My name is Dave
Yes, but the problem that is left now is when the cursor is sent from one display to the next...for some reason it'll corrupt. I blame the hardware implentation for this...ATI just basically added DP onto the already-exisiting output design, rather than making it the main part, and i think this is the source of the problems. If it really was just driver problems, surely a year is long enough to fix it, right?

But they haven't.

The software behind Eyefinity revolves around making the multiple displays connected seen as a single large surface to windows, but when it comes down to actually un-muxing the big image down to each monitor, that's all hardware.


From the same article:
ATI considered a software only approach a while ago, but ultimately vetoed it for a couple of reasons. With the software-only solution you need to have a multi-GPU capable system. That means a more expensive motherboard, a more powerful PSU and a little more hassle configuration wise. Then there were the performance concerns.

~snip~

There were also game compatibility concerns that made ATI not interested in the software approach. Although I was quick to point out that FOV and aspect ratio issues are apparent in many games today with Eyefinity. Carrell agreed, but said that it’s a lot better than they expected - and better than it would have been had they used a software-only solution.
Now, admittedly, I am guessing here, but it really seems that ATI is guessing at hte cause as well, or else they'd have it fixed....

As well, these new cards have a new, different, DP implementation, and truly, they msut have made that chage specifically because of the outstanding issues.

I'd really love it if AMD would step up to the plate, give me a call, and get this problem I have fixed...but they truly seem to ignore me on this issue.
Posted on Reply
#12
nt300
randomflip said:
looks hot! times like these I'm glad to be working, picking up 2 for some e-peen e-rection :rockout:
You no want to wait for HD 6970, maybe HD 6870 go down in price :D Now I only ply Left 4 Dead 2, I like the new levels with the old survivors.
Posted on Reply
#13
fullinfusion
Vanguard Beta Tester
Nice looking gpu for sure! But I'm thinking I'll be holding onto my current gpu atm till I see some real drastic improvements in Benching.

The cut out on the back looks sweet though. + the pricing is in line with what one would expect. Going to make a nice stocking stuffer for X-Mas hmmm :p
Posted on Reply
#14
Super XP
You mean real world performance right. Synthetic benching is OK, just want to make sure real world performance is a massive boost in performance.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment